Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Modifiersx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 168
WE:Corporate Finance (Accounting)
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls high school bas [#permalink]
Expert Reply
PriyamRathor wrote:
Quote:
At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls’ high school basketball team has become a path to college for some and a source of pride for a community where the household incomes of 49 percent of them are below the poverty level.

(A) where the household incomes of 49 percent of them are

(B) where they have 49 percent of the household incomes

(C) where 49 percent of the household incomes are

(D) which has 49 percent of the household incomes

(E) in which 49 percent of them have household incomes

GMATNinja wrote:
Sparta_750 wrote:
GMATNinja

I have been under the impression that 'where' doesn't go with metaphorical locations such as company, relationship, and 'in which' is preferred.

Eg: I worked with a company, in which 49% of employees are

Slightly confused. Request enlightment :please

I wish that I was cool enough to provide actual enlightenment! ;)

Sejal16 wrote:
Can someone clearly explain usage of which v/s where ?
In GMAT, where can refer only physical places. How do we know if community refers to a caste or a neighborhood ?

You both have the right idea: in general, "where" would have to modify an actual place. "Community" might refer to a physical location ("the community of Ames, Iowa"), but it could also refer to a group of people who may or may not be in the same physical location ("the LGBTQ community").

So the devil is in the details. Here's the original sentence again:
Quote:
At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls’ high school basketball team has become a path to college for some and a source of pride for a community where the household incomes of 49 percent of them are below the poverty level.

Notice that the sentence explicitly mentions a physical location in New Mexico, and then the sentence goes on to discuss "household incomes." Logically, the "community" mentioned here is a physical one.

So "where" is fine -- and there are other issues in some of the answer choices, as discussed here.

I hope this helps!

Hi GMATNinja RonTargetTestPrep ,

In the above question , where can refer to a community ( a group of people)

But in the below official question, we have rejected choices B and C because where cannot refer to clans.

Clans also refer to group of people

Please help.

Thanks

Quote:
As rainfall began to decrease in the Southwest about the middle of the twelfth century, most of the Monument Valley Anasazi abandoned their homes to join other clans whose access to water was less limited.

(A) whose access to water was less limited

(B) where there was access to water that was less limited

(C) where they had less limited water access

(D) with less limitations on water access

(E) having less limitations to water access

LINK-https://gmatclub.com/forum/at-shiprock-new-mexico-a-perennially-powerful-girls-high-school-bas-91350.html#p698804

Hello PriyamRathor,

We hope this finds you well.

The answer to your query involves a very fine bit of nuance.

Here, since the "community" in question is associated with a physical location that is mentioned in the sentence, the use of "where" is acceptable.

By contrast, in the linked question, the "clans" are not associated with a place, so "where" is incorrect.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [1]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls high school bas [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey PriyamRathor

Happy to help you with this query.

Although you’re right that ‘community’ refers to a ‘group of people’ in its most commonly used sense, the word ‘community’ can also refer to a physical locality or territory or state. In this respect, ‘community’ is similar to the word ‘society’, which also has both connotations.

Here’re references for both:

1. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/community

2. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/society

‘Clans’, on the other hand, has no such connotation and is used strictly just for groups of people.

That said, we now only need to look for clues that help us identify which sense the word ‘community’ has been used in. As GMATNinja has rightly pointed out, the phrase ‘household incomes’ presupposes the existence of ‘households’ within that community. And the word ‘household’ also has a physical connotation to it.

3. https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/household?q=household+

Moreover, a girls’ basketball team can be a source of pride for a locality as well.

Finally, another important thing to notice in the “Shiprock” question is that we merely have to choose between ‘which’ and ‘where’, and the two choices with ‘which’ in them (D and E) have worse errors.

So, add it all up, and choice C becomes the best contender.

I hope this helps improve your understanding.

Happy Learning!

Abhishek
SME & Product Creator
e-GMAT
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 240
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.95
WE:Real Estate (Consulting)
Send PM
I understand there is error of use of "them". However, isn???t option B, C and D wrongly implying that 49% of (household) income are below poverty level i.e. 49% of income (household being adjective) are below poverty level?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Quote:
Hi GMATNinja RonTargetTestPrep ,

In the above question , where can refer to a community ( a group of people)

But in the below official question, we have rejected choices B and C because where cannot refer to clans.

Clans also refer to group of people

Please help.

Thanks

I feel your pain here. The difference is that a community is an abstraction that can encompass many elements: a group of people, a culture, and a physical location. A clan, on other hand, is pretty concrete. It's a group of people.

The McGregors, for instance, might be considered a clan -- they're people. And they might live in a lovely community, or place.

That's awfully subtle, and it's certainly not worth memorizing the difference in meaning between "community" and "clan". Instead, I'd look at it this way: if "where" is referring to any word that's abstract enough to create a debate in your mind about whether that word suggests a location, don't treat it as an error. But if "where" is referring to a concrete entity that definitely isn't a place, then it's fine to treat it as an error.

The big takeaway: it's okay to be unsure! But if you are, move on to other decision points you feel more confident about.

I hope that helps a bit!
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls high school bas [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Rickooreo wrote:
I understand there is error of use of "them". However, isn???t option B, C and D wrongly implying that 49% of (household) income are below poverty level i.e. 49% of income (household being adjective) are below poverty level?

Hey Rickooreo

Very sorry for the delayed response. Happy to discuss this with you.

I'm not sure you framed your question very well. But, if you're referring to a meaning difference between choices B, C, and D, then you're absolutely correct. There is a major meaning shift. Allow me to explain.

Choices B and D somewhat mean the same, while choice C means something totally different. Let's look at each of these one by one.

C: where 49 percent of the household incomes are below the poverty level
B: where they have 49 percent of the household incomes below the poverty level
D: which has 49 percent of the household incomes below the poverty level

Let's visualize the meaning of each of these phrase, starting with C.
    Choice C:
      o Say there are 1000 households in Shiprock.
      o The incomes of 49% of these 1000 households are below the poverty level.
      o In other words, 490 out of 1000 households in Shiprock are below the poverty level.

Choice B and D:
      o According to B and D, 49% of the total households below the poverty level (somewhere) are in Shiprock.
      o Say "somewhere" = New Mexico
      o Then let's say the State of New Mexico has 1 million households.
      o Of these, let's say 10% (or 100,000) are below the poverty level.
      o In other words, 49% of 100,000, i.e. 49,000 households below the poverty level are in Shiprock.
      (Now, please note, I've only assumed the base to be New Mexico. We could even take it to be the United States, but that would be even more unlikely logically because you wouldn't expect 49% of USA's BPL households to be in a tiny area called Shiprock.)

So, as you can see, there is certainly a meaning shift. Now, let's look at choice A to identify the intended meaning:

Choice A: where the household incomes of 49 percent of them are below the poverty level
      o Notice that choice A intends to say what choice C manages to say successfully.
      o The household incomes of 49% of the households in Shiprock (of them) are below the poverty level.
      o In other words, say there are 1000 households in Shiprock.
      o The incomes of 49% of these 1000 households are below the poverty level.
      o In other words, 490 out of 1000 households in Shiprock are below the poverty level.

I hope this helps you understand the meaning shift between choices B, C, and D. Choices B and D distort the intended meaning, while choice C conveys it successfully. Please revert for further clarification, if required.

Happy Learning!

Abhishek
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Hello experts, even though I am clear with provided explanations, I wanted to have my concern clarified regarding the usage of "where". I do remember in of the given explanations, an expert mentioned that on the Gmat, "where" only refers to a place, hence, can't be used with words such as society, community etc. While I understand that "in which " stands better with society, is it always correct to use "where" to refer to the community? I would appreciate your reply. Thank you.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls high school bas [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Alieva wrote:
Hello experts, even though I am clear with provided explanations, I wanted to have my concern clarified regarding the usage of "where". I do remember in of the given explanations, an expert mentioned that on the Gmat, "where" only refers to a place, hence, can't be used with words such as society, community etc. While I understand that "in which " stands better with society, is it always correct to use "where" to refer to the community? I would appreciate your reply. Thank you.

Not always! Check out this post for more: https://gmatclub.com/forum/at-shiprock- ... l#p2472001.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Can someone please explain how can 'where' refer to community. As far as I know 'where can refer only to places. If it is referring to Shiprock then how can it jump over all verbs etc., to refer to such far away noun? Isn't where ambiguous here?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts