GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Jul 2018, 01:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

As rainfall began to decrease in the Southwest about the middle of the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

16 KUDOS received
Director
Director
As rainfall began to decrease in the Southwest about the middle of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 29 Oct 2017, 20:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (00:52) correct 34% (01:04) wrong based on 3521 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 2015

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 101
Page: 690

As rainfall began to decrease in the Southwest about the middle of the twelfth century, most of the Monument Valley Anasazi abandoned their homes to join other clans whose access to water was less limited.

(A) whose access to water was less limited

(B) where there was access to water that was less limited

(C) where they had less limited water access

(D) with less limitations on water access

(E) having less limitations to water access

http://gmatclub.com/forum/countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

Originally posted by tejal777 on 31 Oct 2009, 16:31.
Last edited by hazelnut on 29 Oct 2017, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
G
Re: As rainfall began to decrease in the Southwest about the middle of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2014, 15:02
Hi Kinjal,

Thanks for posting your doubt here. :-)

On GMAT, "where" is used to refer to place. But "clans" are not any place. They are group of people. Hence, we need "who" to refer to them. This is the reason why use of "where" is incorrect in Choices B and C.

You are also correct in your analysis of the pronoun "they" in Choice "C" as it is unclear whether it refers to "most of the...Anasazi" or "other clans".

Option D is incorrect because "limitations" is a countable noun. Use of "less" is incorrect. The correct word to be used for "limitations" is "fewer". This error eliminated Choice D and E.

Choice A is a clear winner in this one as it the most precise and clear answer choice.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Most Helpful Community Reply
11 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Sloan '16 (D)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Re: As rainfall began to decrease in the Southwest about the middle of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2011, 11:15
A.

B and C are out because they talk about location (where), not clans.
E is out for several reasons, one of which "limitations to" is unidiomatic.
D is out because, in addition to sounding awkward, limitations is countable, so fewer must be used.
General Discussion
5 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2009, 21:33
tejal777 wrote:
As rainfall began to decrease in the Southwest about the middle of the twelfth century, most of the Monument Valley Anasazi abandoned their homes to join other clans whose access to water was less limited.

A. whose access to water was less limited
B. where there was access to water that was less limited
C. where they had less limited water access
D. with less limitations on water access
E. having less limitations to water access

A. Correct:
"whose" refers to "other clans".
The singular verb "was" has the subject "access"....

B. "where" is wrong and "there was access to water that was less limited" double passive.
C. "where" is wrong and tense "had limited" is also incorrect.
D. "with less limitations on water access" awakward construction.
E. "having .................." awakward construction.

Verbal: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: http://gmatclub.com/forum/everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT Date: 11-29-2011
WE: Corporate Finance (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2011, 12:50
Wow thanks!

I'm struggling with the fact that the term limitations is countable.

EG.

There are more limitations on spending
There are many limitations on spending

my ear can't hear the correctness
also, is this different with limit and restriction?
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2011, 03:39
"where" is wrong. Eliminate B and C. "Having" in choice E is incorrect structure. Choice D, "less limitation" is not prefer than verb "less limited" follow V-A-N concision.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2012, 06:19
a. Correct
b. where modifies clan. this is wrong
c. where modifies clan. this is wrong
d. less to be used with countable noun limitations
e. less to be used with countable noun limitations

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

3 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2013, 04:20

CORRECT

"other clans" are not places, so "other clans where" is not logical

"with" is refered to "most of the Monument Valley Anasazi" or to "other clans"?

the use of "having" is not clear, what is it refered to?

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2013, 06:42
mun23 wrote:

Need every options explanation

Pls find below the explanation to each answers;-

B. Passive cosntruction...its wordy.
C. Past perfect is wrong
D. This optyion has got two major issues:-
1. "with less limitations....." is a phrase of the dependent clause "their homes to join........"The clause mentioned does not has any verb.....
2. Meaning change "With less limitations" does not conveys the intended meaning...the intended meaning is the clan's water access was less limited" Not that it had lesser limitations...."I may be wrong here"
E. Again the same issue no verb for the clause starting with "their......" having is not a verb. Moreover having should used in a construction where you want to present an implied form....ie"having done this action, poor result is not expected"

Consider kudos if my post helps!!

Archit
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2013, 02:50
Why option 'D' is wrong... "apart from awkaward wordy construction"
1) "with less limitation on water access" acts as preposition phrases and i am quite confuse whether it modife Anasazi or Clans?
2) prepositional phrases without comma as in above modify noun closer to it i.e. clans or can modify farther noun such as Anasazi too?
3)if prepositional phrases with comma is used in above case it will modify "clans"

Thriving for CHANGE

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2013, 07:39
Aristocrat wrote:
Why option 'D' is wrong... "apart from awkaward wordy construction"
1) "with less limitation on water access" acts as preposition phrases and i am quite confuse whether it modife Anasazi or Clans?
2) prepositional phrases without comma as in above modify noun closer to it i.e. clans or can modify farther noun such as Anasazi too?
3)if prepositional phrases with comma is used in above case it will modify "clans"

The main problem with option D is that "limitations" is a countable quantity and so it must be modified by "fewer". "Less" can be used for uncountable nouns only.
Additionally, option D changes the meaning slightly. Original sentence says that "clans whose access to water was less limited" -- this access is supposed to be associated with nature as decrease of rainfall is the cause of migration. Option D mentions "limitations on water access" which means restrictions (imposed by human beings) on water access.

1) It is "clan" with less limitation on water access.
2) The following link has a very good demonstration on when modifiers can modify slightly far away noun and when far away modification is not possible.
noun-modifiers-can-modify-slightly-far-away-noun-135868.html
3) Is it a question or a statement?
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2014, 22:24
(A) whose access to water was less limited
(B) where there was access to water that was less limited
(C) where they had less limited water access
(D) with less limitations on water access
(E) having less limitations to water access

Option B) Awkward construction – Eliminated
Option C) I am confused with the usage of the “where”. Does it always need to denote a place?
I have eliminated Option C on the basis of “they”. I am not sure if “they” denote the clans or Monument Valley Anasazi.
Option E) having – sounds as if the clans possess the less limitations – doesn’t make sense.
Confused between A and D.
Please clarify.

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2015, 13:31

Correct

Usage of "where" is wrong here

Same as B

Fragmented sentence auxiliary verb is missing

Usage of "having" is wrong

Hence A
Ans

Regards
SG
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2016, 07:15
1. clans is not a place; where is wrong; B and C are out.
2. limitations is countable. Less would not go with a countable noun. Fewer would be more appropriate. D and E are out.
A remains

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Current Student
B
Schools: Rotman '19 (A)

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2016, 11:18
I thought 'whose' would be the subject, 'whose' referring to 'clans'

Or,

The rain, which (which refers to rain - singular) is . . .
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2016, 06:07
g3lo18 wrote:
I thought 'whose' would be the subject, 'whose' referring to 'clans'

Or,

The rain, which (which refers to rain - singular) is . . .

The possessive form "whose" can never be a subject since it is used instead of a possessive noun - here "Clans' ", not "Clan" - The relative pronoun "who" could be a subject, but not "whose".

Consider the sentence:

The clans' access to water was limited....... The subject is "access", not "clans' ". The pronoun whose is used to replace "clans' ".
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2016, 11:17

A) whose access to water was less limited
D) with less limitations on water access
E) having less limitations to water access

These are the candidates.

E) I discarded this option because I found its beginning ("having") more complicated and less straightforward than those of options A and D.
D) I discarded this option because I thought that, in this context, "limitations on" was incorrect and should rather be "limitations to". However, I am not that sure as to whether this is correct.

Could you please give me your insights on the aspects commented above and point out the reasons for discarding these two options other than the fact that "less limitations" should be "fewer limitations"?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2016, 15:51
EBITDA wrote:

A) whose access to water was less limited
D) with less limitations on water access
E) having less limitations to water access

These are the candidates.

E) I discarded this option because I found its beginning ("having") more complicated and less straightforward than those of options A and D.
D) I discarded this option because I thought that, in this context, "limitations on" was incorrect and should rather be "limitations to". However, I am not that sure as to whether this is correct.

Could you please give me your insights on the aspects commented above and point out the reasons for discarding these two options other than the fact that "less limitations" should be "fewer limitations"?

I do not see any problem with "having". A present participle modifier such as this one is alright and is used as an adjective (in this case for the noun "clan"). The problem with D and E is the awkward usage "water access". "Water access" may mean "access BY water" ( e.g. land access, water access etc.) and may not mean "access TO water".
Current Student
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2016, 04:56
@e-gmat: Don't we need to use here "Than" to complete to comparison "less ... than"? In your lectures you state that it's mandatory.

Can someone please explain, why "than" is not required here? MGMAT SC guide also gives the following sentence as incorrect: "With winter coming, I will have HIGHER energy bills", which also has an ellipse (than now), and it's considered as incorrect.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2016, 05:53
manlog wrote:
@e-gmat: Don't we need to use here "Than" to complete to comparison "less ... than"? In your lectures you state that it's mandatory.

Can someone please explain, why "than" is not required here? MGMAT SC guide also gives the following sentence as incorrect: "With winter coming, I will have HIGHER energy bills", which also has an ellipse (than now), and it's considered as incorrect.

Yes, ideally there should be "than" with a comparative adjective. However this OG question clearly deviates from the rule and hence one is advised not to eliminate an answer choice on the basis of this criterion. However if two answer choices are identical except in such usage, then such elimination criterion may be used as the last resort.
Re: As rainfall began to decrease in the Southwest about the middle of the &nbs [#permalink] 12 Aug 2016, 05:53

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 30 posts ] 

As rainfall began to decrease in the Southwest about the middle of the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap