It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 20:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As rainfall began to decrease in the Southwest about the middle of the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3522 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: As rainfall began to decrease in the Southwest about the middle of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2016, 15:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
EBITDA wrote:
As rainfall began to decrease in the Southwest about the middle of the twelfth century, most of the Monument Valley Anasazi abandoned their homes to join other clans whose access to water was less limited.

A) whose access to water was less limited
D) with less limitations on water access
E) having less limitations to water access

These are the candidates.

E) I discarded this option because I found its beginning ("having") more complicated and less straightforward than those of options A and D.
D) I discarded this option because I thought that, in this context, "limitations on" was incorrect and should rather be "limitations to". However, I am not that sure as to whether this is correct.

Could you please give me your insights on the aspects commented above and point out the reasons for discarding these two options other than the fact that "less limitations" should be "fewer limitations"?

I do not see any problem with "having". A present participle modifier such as this one is alright and is used as an adjective (in this case for the noun "clan"). The problem with D and E is the awkward usage "water access". "Water access" may mean "access BY water" ( e.g. land access, water access etc.) and may not mean "access TO water".

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 53

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: As rainfall began to decrease in the Southwest about the middle of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2016, 04:56
@e-gmat: Don't we need to use here "Than" to complete to comparison "less ... than"? In your lectures you state that it's mandatory.

Can someone please explain, why "than" is not required here? MGMAT SC guide also gives the following sentence as incorrect: "With winter coming, I will have HIGHER energy bills", which also has an ellipse (than now), and it's considered as incorrect.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 53

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3522 [0], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2016, 05:53
manlog wrote:
@e-gmat: Don't we need to use here "Than" to complete to comparison "less ... than"? In your lectures you state that it's mandatory.

Can someone please explain, why "than" is not required here? MGMAT SC guide also gives the following sentence as incorrect: "With winter coming, I will have HIGHER energy bills", which also has an ellipse (than now), and it's considered as incorrect.

Yes, ideally there should be "than" with a comparative adjective. However this OG question clearly deviates from the rule and hence one is advised not to eliminate an answer choice on the basis of this criterion. However if two answer choices are identical except in such usage, then such elimination criterion may be used as the last resort.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 179

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2016, 14:40
tejal777 wrote:
As rainfall began to decrease in the Southwest about the middle of the twelfth century, most of the Monument Valley Anasazi abandoned their homes to join other clans whose access to water was less limited.

A. whose access to water was less limited
B. where there was access to water that was less limited
C. where they had less limited water access
D. with less limitations on water access
E. having less limitations to water access

OG16 SC108

So, what is the problem in C. C provides the same meaning like A to me. :)
Thanks Expert...

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Top Contributor
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8195 [2], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2016, 23:25
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Before attempting this question, let’s interpret the meaning. As rainfall started decreasing and water availability turned less and less, the Anasazi decided to join other clans who were accustomed to more water access or availability. Here the double negative - less limited -means more available in terms of quantity. This is what text and choice A imply.

B also says the same essentially in an unacceptably wordy paraphrase. In addition, look at the relative pronoun, ‘where’ which is absurdly standing for the clans, as if clans are places. We should dump choice C also for the same reason and for not defining precisely whether the pronoun ‘they’ stands for the subject Anasazi or the proximate clans.

By referring to water access as a countable commodity and using the plural limitations, choices D and E foul the usage of the quantum comparative ‘less’, a term normally reserved for non- countable nouns. We may appreciate how smugly choice A uses ‘less limited’ to modify the singular noun ‘access’.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8195 [2], given: 364

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2016, 02:34
daagh wrote:

Before attempting this question, let’s interpret the meaning. As rainfall started decreasing and water availability turned less and less, the Anasazi decided to join other clans who were accustomed to more water access or availability. Here the double negative - less limited -means more available in terms of quantity. This is what text and choice A imply.

B also says the same essentially in an unacceptably wordy paraphrase. In addition, look at the relative pronoun, ‘where’ which is absurdly standing for the clans, as if clans are places. We should dump choice C also for the same reason and for not defining precisely whether the pronoun ‘they’ stands for the subject Anasazi or the proximate clans.

By referring to water access as a countable commodity and using the plural limitations, choices D and E foul the usage of the quantum comparative ‘less’, a term normally reserved for non- countable nouns. We may appreciate how smugly choice A uses ‘less limited’ to modify the singular noun ‘access’.

When we get something like 'limitation(S), then we should consider it as plural, and we have to use plural sign. But, in D and E, they used singular sign LESS, which is used in wrong way, isn't it?
Thanks...
N.B.: I got the answer of my previous question.

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2016, 11:30
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
iMyself wrote:
tejal777 wrote:

OG16 SC108

Thanks Expert...

"Clans" is not a place - "where" is a wrong relative pronoun to refer to "clans".

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2016, 11:43
sayantanc2k wrote:
iMyself wrote:
tejal777 wrote:

OG16 SC108

Thanks Expert...

"Clans" is not a place - "where" is a wrong relative pronoun to refer to "clans".

Yes, I got my answer sayantanc2k.
Thanks...

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 92

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2016, 12:28
Yes.. I agRee with you.
should be A ...

siddhans wrote:
Explain using POE...

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 92

Top Contributor
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 2942 [0], given: 220

Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2016, 14:37
Top Contributor
tejal777 wrote:

OG16 SC108

A. whose access to water was less limited ------>CORRECT
B. where there was access to water that was less limited ------->; here "where is not referring to an actual place
C. where they had less limited water access ------>; here "where is not referring to an actual place
D. with less limitations on water access -------->distorted the intended meaning;here seems "water access" may be imposed by another authority ,other than blessed by natural good effect(intended meaning)
E. having less limitations to water access -------->distorted the intended meaning;here seems "water access" may be imposed by another authority ,other than blessed by natural good effect(intended meaning)

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Kudos [?]: 2942 [0], given: 220

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 283

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2016, 15:28
I agree with those who said A. Here's why:

A. whose access to water was less limited --> better pick between A & D as whose is used
B. where there was access to water that was less limited ---> where is not the appropriate word to use as it refers to a place, not clans (in this case)
C. where they had less limited water access --> same reason as B applies
D. with less limitations on water access --> refer to explanation from A
E. having less limitations to water access --> awkward

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 283

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 30

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2016, 02:06
sayantanc2k wrote:
I do not see any problem with "having". A present participle modifier such as this one is alright and is used as an adjective (in this case for the noun "clan"). The problem with D and E is the awkward usage "water access". "Water access" may mean "access BY water" ( e.g. land access, water access etc.) and may not mean "access TO water".

Hi sayantanc2k
I like your explanation for having
i read one thread that "having" is incorrect ,
I broke this idea after your explanation.
but i am a little confused, please confirm
as long as "having" works as a participle and as an adjective, it is correct,
except this condition, "having" is incorrect, right?
did i miss something ?

thanks a lot
have a nice day
>_~

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2016, 08:40
zoezhuyan wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

Hi sayantanc2k
I like your explanation for having
i read one thread that "having" is incorrect ,
I broke this idea after your explanation.
but i am a little confused, please confirm
as long as "having" works as a participle and as an adjective, it is correct,
except this condition, "having" is incorrect, right?
did i miss something ?

thanks a lot
have a nice day
>_~

Like all other verbs, "having" may also be used in the following forms:

Verb (progressive tense):
I am going to school.
I am having a pizza.

Gerund (noun):
Going to school is no fun.
Having a pizza is great fun.

All the above sentences are correct.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2016, 22:46
sayantanc2k wrote:
Like all other verbs, "having" may also be used in the following forms:

Verb (progressive tense):
I am going to school.
I am having a pizza.

Gerund (noun):
Going to school is no fun.
Having a pizza is great fun.

All the above sentences are correct.

thanks sayantanc2k,
I know where my problem, i mistook having (progressive tense of verb have) for having (helping verb).

thanks a lot
have a nice day
>_~

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 19

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2016, 14:16
SPLIT1) MODIFIERS. "WHOSE" REFERS TO CLANS, AND THIS IS WHAT WE NEED. B,C,D,AND E ARE OUT.

SPLIT2) "LIMITATIONS" IS COUNTABLE YOU NEED TO USE THE WORD "FEWER" NOT "LESS". HOW DO I KNOW THAT LIMITATIONS IS COUNTABLE. FOR ONE THING, YOU HAVE THE "S" IN LIMITATIONS = COUNTABLE. B, D, AND E ARE OUT.

SPLIT3) WHO IS "THEY" REFERRING TO IN OPTION C? IS IT "THE ANAZASI" OR "THE OTHER CLANS". THE POSITION OF THEY IS UNCLEAR. C IS OUT.

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 19

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2017, 10:36
The OA is correct and explanations provided in the thread appear sufficient. If there are any specific questions, please post them here and then click again on the "Request Expert Reply" button – closing this request.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 21

GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2017, 08:28
tejal777 wrote:

OG16 SC108

A Correct.
B "Where" cannot be paired with "clans" because the latter is not a location.
C "Where" cannot be paired with "clans" because the latter is not a location.
D "Less" cannot be paired with "limitations" because the latter is a countable noun. The present participle "having" cannot modify the noun
E "Less" cannot be paired with "limitations" because the latter is a countable noun.

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 21

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 1113

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 23:11
E is wrong b/c "limitation on", not "limitation to"
C uses "they"
B is awkward.
D is illogical b/c of "with"

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 1113

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 97

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 23:31
access to water and water access are two different things...
A is the best
+1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 97

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2017, 12:18

- "whose" correctly joins "other clans" to "access to water"

- "where" can only be used if there is a physical place that is being referenced -- not the case here

- same issue as "B"

- "limitations on" is unidiomatic as well as passive

- "having less" incorrectly modifies the entire phrase before. Also passive construction.

Kudos please if you find this helpful :)

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 1

Re: As rainfall began to decrease in the Southwest about the middle of the   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2017, 12:18

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 62 posts ] 

As rainfall began to decrease in the Southwest about the middle of the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap