Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [18]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [9]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 252 [1]
Given Kudos: 371
Send PM
Re: Traditional art and modern art both part of the cultural frame of [#permalink]
IMO correct answer is A.

The modifier within the two commas correctly modifies the plural subject.
Simple present tense is sufficient to use here.

All other options have some form of these errors.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 492 [1]
Given Kudos: 292
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Re: Traditional art and modern art both part of the cultural frame of [#permalink]
Kudos
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 131 Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Traditional art and modern art, both part of the cultural frame of reference of most Americans and Europeans, share many aspects of the artistic language.

(A) both part of the cultural frame of reference of most Americans and Europeans

(B) are both part of the cultural frame of reference of most Americans and Europeans

(C) part of both the cultural frame of reference of most Americans and Europeans

(D) being part of the cultural reference frame of most Americans and Europeans

(E) have both been part of the cultural frame of reference of most Americans and Europeans

A - correct, traditional and modern art - both modifier- share
B - are both, share - run on sentences.
C - both wrongly refers to cultural references
D - being - mostly wrong on GMAT SC - here must be given without “,” and still would give the meaning that because they are part of cultural references they share. Wrong
E - present perfect - tense doesn’t agree and same error as B (run on).

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 169 [1]
Given Kudos: 178
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Kudos
IMO A

Traditional art and modern art, both part of the cultural frame of reference of most Americans and Europeans, share many aspects of the artistic language.

(A) both part of the cultural frame of reference of most Americans and Europeans
Looks ok

(B) are both part of the cultural frame of reference of most Americans and Europeans
The verb "are"is separated from the subject by a comma -hence incorrect

(C) part of both the cultural frame of reference of most Americans and Europeans
"both "wrongly refers to cultural frame,it should refer to arts

"being "cannot be used as a modifier

(E) have both been part of the cultural frame of reference of most Americans and Europeans
Same as B
ESMT Berlin School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [2]
Given Kudos: 104
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 131 Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Sentence Structure
Subject - Verb - Modifier

Issues:
    Though have skepticism about the usage of both, Could NOT find anything wrong in OptionA.
    - The modifier within the two commas correctly modifies the plural subject.
    If nothing better appears ------> A is the answer.

Answer choice analysis:
      A is the least bad of all the answer choices. A is the winner!

Incorrect meaning because of the faulty usage of both
      - Both should modify the "art forms" rather than the "part of ..."
      Flawed structure - are both, share - run on sentences.

Idiom error: Both X and Y

The usage of being makes D inferior to A.

General facts should be stated in the present tense. - Unsolicited verb-tense shift.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1022 [1]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Kudos
Imo A.

(A) both part of the cultural frame of reference of most Americans and Europeans - Information in comma pair describes more about both art. Subject (Traditional art & modern art) matches with verb (share). Seems no grammatical or logical error, let's park it.

(B) are both part of the cultural frame of reference of most Americans and Europeans - Two independent clauses are connected with comma. Hence, incorrect.

(C) part of both the cultural frame of reference of most Americans and Europeans - Distorts meaning of the sentence as compared to original sentence.

D) being part of the cultural reference frame of most Americans and Europeans - Incorrect use of being.

(E) have both been part of the cultural frame of reference of most Americans and Europeans - Two independent clauses are connected with comma. Hence, incorrect.
So, Answer is A.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [2]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
I took me 2 minutes and 18 seconds. I spent most of the time debating between A and D. I finally chose A.

(A) I do not see anything obviously wrong with A. Note that the texts that are not underlined is a complete sentence: Traditional art and modern art share many aspects of the artistic language. This helps eliminate B and E easily.
(B) "are both..." is a verb. It cannot be used. We already have a complete sentence. Also, there should be no comma between subject and verb.
(C) "part of both" strongly indicates there are two items after both. But we only see one item "the cultural frame of reference of most Americans and Europeans". So this version feels incomplete.
(D) Well, is the use of "being" almost always wrong in GMAT? Certainly, D can get rid of being and still function basically the same. Out of abundance of caution, I spent most of time trying to find something else that can help me eliminate D with higher confidence. I did notice that "the cultural frame of reference" in (A) is now rewritten to be "the cultural reference frame". I know "frame of reference" is commonly used. But I am still not sure if "the cultural reference frame" is thus incorrect. Also, (A) uses "both" but (D) does not. In the end, I decided (A) is better based mainly on the use of "being".
(E) "have both" is a verb. Same error with B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM

(A) both part of the cultural frame of reference of most Americans and Europeans - correct

(B) are both part of the cultural frame of reference of most Americans and Europeans - the verb for Traditional art and modern art is share

(C)part of both the cultural frame of reference of most Americans and Europeans - change the meaning
(D) being part of the cultural reference frame of most Americans and Europeans - wrong

(E) have both been part of the cultural frame of reference of most Americans and Europeans - here is no needs for present perfect
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [1]
Send PM
Traditional art and modern art both part of the cultural frame of [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
The official explanation has been posted here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 161
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V30
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
generis
Is it possible or I should say "good English" for a VERB to come before a subject, If so can you quote an eg ?

Warm wishes
Devesh
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts