Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 17:04 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 17:04
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [1]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1140 [0]
Given Kudos: 420
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.58
WE:Analyst (Accounting)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2018 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: A Summer Beyond Expectations

By Henrique Lyra Bahr T'16

Henrique is a second-year student at Tuck. Prior to school, he worked in investment management as a buy-side equity analyst in his hometown of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Throughout his life, Henrique spent time in Germany (where part of his family is from) and Minnesota both studying and working. He majored in economics at the Pontifical Catholic University in Rio. On campus, Henrique is an MBA Fellow at the Center for Global Business and Government, aspires to be a Tripod Hockey captain this fall, and is known to DJ school parties. He loves sports, music, and traveling. Post Tuck, he plans to work in general management.

Over the summer I was fortunate enough to have worked for Cargill, America’s largest private company with revenues of around 150bn and 153,000 employees. Truly a multinational, it helps feed the world with operations in 67 countries. Its strategy and business development group was exactly where I wanted to be when I started at Tuck (true story, it is even in my admissions essay) and the experience definitely exceeded my already high expectations. Working as an equity analyst, I had developed a passion for both the agribusiness and infrastructure sectors. Adding to the fact that I spent time growing up on a farm in Minnesota, Cargill was a natural fit for me.

While networking and going to different company briefings in the fall, one thing that struck me about Cargill and its people was the fact that an associate referred me to someone who had interned there and did NOT accept the offer to come back so I could hear both sides of the story. This truly spoke to their principles and care for their employees.

SBD is a program that prepares you to be a general manager at Cargill. It allows you to learn about the company and connect with leaders through either strategy or M&A projects. Coming in with a finance background, it was interesting to work in two important platform wide strategy projects. The first one looked at their food ingredients business and how consumer trends are shifting the nature of the industry while the second one touched on potential disruptive scenarios that could impact their agriculture supply chain strategy. The work I did at Cargill was both relevant and challenging and I was always incentivized to speak up and drive discussions.

Because of the size and breadth of the organization, Cargill has a deep understanding of almost any market and geography. It was amazing to talk to (either due to project work or personal interest) and learn from senior executives across the globe.

Finally, it was great being back in Minneapolis. I managed to go to my 10-year high school reunion and partook in many fun activities with fellow T’16s who lived in the same building as I did. The Tuck community is very strong in the area and I was able to connect not only with alumni but also a T’17.

For people looking to go into a general management role, I highly recommend looking at Cargill and networking with people there. Feel free to reach out to me about the internship and life in the Twin Cities as well!
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: A Challenging and Fulfilling Summer Internship

By Amrita Dasgupta T'16

Amrita is a second-year student at Tuck with a background in operations strategy and big data analytics. Her hometown is in Bethesda, MD, but she is excited to see where the next stage of life and her career will take her.

After making it through my first year and winter in New Hampshire, I had the incredible opportunity to face another extreme: 100F+ degree weather on the blisteringly hot shores of Miami during my summer internship with Danaher Corporation at one of its biotech / life science operating companies.

Danaher is a serious powerhouse of a company with a highly-developed business management strategy. However, as one professor delicately describes it, Danaher’s somewhat “unsexy” product portfolio often keeps it off many an MBA’s radar. I’d only heard of it in passing, but during recruiting season, a Tuck alum and Danaher recruit reached out to me to tell me about the company. One very effective sell later, that’s where I decided I’d have the most fulfilling and challenging summer experience. It lived up to that expectation.

The company prides itself on a rigorous internship program, challenging you to navigate through a high level of ambiguity to chart your own course and demonstrate general management leadership. From the start of the internship, I had to hit the ground running and exercise a semi-retired engineering muscle to read through hundreds of pages of scientific documents to understand and internalize the mind-boggling technical details behind hematology—before even beginning to contemplate the challenge of advising a business on its market. My project scope itself was quite open-ended and self-driven: determine and deploy a solution to effect large-scale revenue growth and achieve measurable results within 12 meager weeks—three of which were tied up in training at its Chicago and Washington, D.C. corporate headquarters.

No small challenge, but luckily, support was all around me. When I wanted additional background research, the Feldberg Library and its adept librarians were there to help me. When I wanted targeted advice from an experienced marketing professional, my Tuck professors were an email away. When it came to the nerve-wracking final presentation (to a formidable panel of 8-12 company presidents and C-suite execs, no less), I had the support and advice from a trio of Danaher-Tuckies from different offices around the nation; the same guys, by the way, who helped me work with HR to secure that highly desirable Miami posting from a wide array of operating companies and office locations.

So yes, I’ve definitely been impressed by the Danaher internship, by the opportunities that a Tuck MBA affords us, and by the tangible strength of the Tuck community that we were promised while we deliberated the decision to come here. And as those who know me can attest, I’m not so easily impressed.

Now, as summer winds to an end, I’ve come full circle—nostalgic for good times with good friends back in the Upper Valley, and that heavy barrage of snow and cold that both delights and terrifies us. At least this time I’m going in with a great tan. 
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Interview with Director of Admissions Dawna Clarke

Seeking advice on preparing for or deciding whether to take the GMAT or GRE? Looking for clarity on the differences between Tuck’s application rounds? Curious about why Tuck has a 70.9% alumni giving rate?

Accepted.com recently conducted an Admissions Straight Talk podcast with Tuck’s Director of Admissions Dawna Clarke. During the interview, Dawna shares her wisdom and provides candid insight into the MBA program and admissions process at Tuck.

Things to look for:

• The thorough and holistic evaluation process that all submitted applications go through
  • The ways Tuck helps candidates who were waitlisted or otherwise not admitted to work toward a more competitive application in the future
  • Why Tuck wants to meet you in person and how to shine during your interview
  • The advantages and opportunities provided by Tuck’s location 
  • Tuck’s accomplished and inspiring new dean Matthew Slaughter

To emphasize Dawna’s parting words from her interview with Accepted.com, connect with us! You can schedule an on-campus interview, meet us at an off-campus event near you, or join us for an online event. Additionally, you can participate in Tuck Connections or apply to attend the 2015 Tuck Diversity Conference.

Follow-up questions for Dawna or topics you wish she would have addressed? Let us know what’s on your mind and we’d be happy to respond directly, or address it in a future Ask Dawna video.

Thanks for taking the time to get to know us!
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: How Outward Bound Prepared Me for Life at Tuck

By Elizabeth Ellerhorst T'17

Elizabeth is a first-year student at Tuck. Originally from Cincinnati, OH, Elizabeth graduated from Boston College in 2011 with a degree in International Politics. Before Tuck, Elizabeth spent four years in Chicago working for Deloitte Consulting in the strategy & operations practice working mainly with CPG companies and retailers developing customer-focused business strategies. Outside of the classroom, Elizabeth’s hobbies include road biking, skiing, photography (and now sailing!). She can be reached at elizabeth.b.ellerhorst.tu17@tuck.dartmouth.edu

Coming from Deloitte Consulting, a majority of my colleagues are attending MBA programs, so naturally we all shared our plans for the summer, which normally included international party trips with our new classmates. Not surprisingly, when I told my colleagues I was attending a week-long Outward Bound sailing trip, the response was a typically a blank stare followed by the question, “And you have to pay to do that?”

I’m not going to lie, it was certainly a trying week. In fact, I believe the exact words the leader used to describe our trip was, “the worst weather a Tuck Outward Bound has had in 15 years!” but through it all, I learned so much. Below is what I’ll call the executive summary (Hey! I’m a consultant. Cut me some slack.) of what I learned that has proved most valuable as a student at Tuck. 

1. Learning to sail is HARD.

Now, at first glance you may not think this relates to business school, but stick with me. For those of you who have never sailed, it is like trying to learn a new skill and a foreign language all at once. Every sail rope, and pole has a ridiculous name, and don’t even get me started on the different knots. The point is sailing is very complicated, and our instructors basically gave us a two-hour tutorial before leaving the boat in our hardly capable hands. This meant we all had to teach one another. We had to trust each other, listen, and communicate. We depended on each other’s knowledge for our collective success, just as we do in the classroom at Tuck and in our study groups every day.

2. Leaders come in all shapes and sizes.

While I always believed there were different types of leaders, I also always thought that leaders shared many of the same characteristics. Outward Bound showed me that the world is full of all types of leaders. Throughout the trip, everyone steps into a leadership role, and it was amazing to witness the diversity of leadership amongst my classmates. 

The trip was a microcosm of the diversity at Tuck, and it was so surprising to see how different cultures approached leadership. Before this trip, I never realized that my view of leadership was quite Americanized. I realized that, to be a successful leader, on a boat, at Tuck, or at a Fortune 500 company, I need to learn what it means to be a global leader. Outward Bound allowed me to develop a strong foundation that I can continue to build on at Tuck. 

3. Don’t be afraid let down your walls.

In real life many of us hide behind the clothing labels, make up and other superficial barriers. When you’re trapped on a boat with two changes of clothes and a toiletry bag that consists of a toothbrush and sunscreen (no really that’s it), there is not a lot … okay, nothing to hide behind. While this was extremely uncomfortable, at the same time, it meant we quickly got to know the truest, and I may argue in many ways, the best forms of each other. I learned to count on the strength of my team to lift me up, and to recognize when others needed a shoulder to lean on, something that has already come in handy the first few weeks at Tuck. I know that no matter what, I can count on my Outward Bound friends for anything I need.

One of the questions I get most about Outward Bound is, Would I do it again? Now initially, my answer was, “Ehh …” But now that I have had a few proper showers and the post-sailing dizziness has finally subsided, the answer is, “Absolutely!” While it was one of the hardest challenges I have faced (yes, including the GMAT) I wouldn’t give up my Outward Bound memories for anything.  
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi guys!
So, Tuck's EA aligns with deadlines from other schools, so it seems to be natural choice. But what are the drawbacks?
Though I really love the school, I still have applied to other places and don't want to give wrong impression, but November round's decisions are due in 2016! So I will have to make the decision probably before I will hear from Tuck.

So what do you recommend?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
kvazar wrote:
Hi guys!
So, Tuck's EA aligns with deadlines from other schools, so it seems to be natural choice. But what are the drawbacks?
Though I really love the school, I still have applied to other places and don't want to give wrong impression, but November round's decisions are due in 2016! So I will have to make the decision probably before I will hear from Tuck.

Depends on why you applied Tuck and what's your post-MBA goals like...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hello would like to connect to NYU Stern students. Have some specific questions in mind.
Heres my profile:
GMAT 760 (50/42)
Work ex - 48 months at the time of matriculation
Experience in strategy in one of the big 4 audit firms - in their consulting arm
Want to move to strategy consulting
Thanks!
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: 6 technology mega-trends shaping the future of society

By Hans Brechbuhl, executive director, Glassmeyer/McNamee Center for Digital Strategies

Post originally appeared on the World Economic Forum website

The developments in digital technology of recent years are truly dramatic and their implications far-reaching. And while no-one understands all the changes these developments will bring, most individuals, many business and governmental leaders, and society as a whole, are not really cognizant of or prepared for the shifts to come.

This was the driver behind the recent report, Deep Shift: Technology Tipping Points and Societal Impact, just released by the World Economic Forum. It is part of the work of the Forum’s Global Agenda Council on the Future of Software and Society which I have had the pleasure of serving on for the last year.

The technology-enabled shifts enumerated in the report, at their core, are fundamentally providing two things: (1) digital connectivity for everyone to everything, anywhere and at anytime; and (2) the tools for analyzing and using digital data in new ways. The report groups the 21 shifts discussed into six “mega-trend” categories:

• People and the internet – people’s association and interaction with the web as a mental, social and physical extension of themselves
  • Computing, communications and storage everywhere – the ability to interface with digital technology, data and the web anywhere, anytime on any device
  • The “Internet of Things” – the digital linking of inanimate objects, or, as my colleague Chris Rezendes so nicely puts it, “the instrumentation of the physical world”
  • Artificial intelligence and big data – the ability to access and analyze vast and disparate data, along with the ability for computers to make decisions based on this data
  • The sharing economy and distributed trust – digitally-enabled transparency and trust mechanisms that allow direct exchange of goods, services or money between parties outside of traditional establishments such as stores and banks
  • The digitization of matter – 3D-printing and the creating of physical materials on the spot (personalized or on a small scale) based on digitally transmitted parameters

These trends will greatly impact how individual lives are lived, how business is conducted, how groups of people function, and how we govern ourselves. Our world is being driven and enabled more and more by software, and we are simultaneously becoming more “bite-sized” and aggregatable in what we can access and analyze. This opens up the opportunity for the offering of an innumerable number of services by and between individuals and organizations of all types from companies to non-profits and governments, but also portends large-scale change that has the potential to be difficult to absorb in both scale and speed.

The potential is huge. Imagine the positives of being able to access any service you want, or physical asset or tool you need, just when and where you need it, on whatever device; or being able to predict a serious health problem before it happens and get the needed medical attention or an organ perfectly made just for you wherever you are. These changes will not happen overnight, but are well on their way to reality and most of us don’t realize it. The potential for democratization and transparency is great.

At the same time, there are real concerns. With data created on everything, will there be acceptable levels of privacy for individual lives? With accessibility greatly enhanced and a path to almost everything possible on the internet, how can we sufficiently protect intellectual property or secure financial data? As work changes, or perhaps even becomes unnecessary for many, what will happen to the sense of worth, place and contribution to society that human beings have derived from work throughout much of recorded history?

The challenges of navigating the transition are great as well. The individual, organizational, governmental and societal adjustments are non-trivial, and the impact of these adjustments will be felt by everyone. The speed of various aspects of the transition are hard to predict, but it is not difficult to see that our world will function quite differently 10-15 years from now. Being prepared to navigate the transition begins with awareness of the shifts to come and some understanding of their implications, and this report is a start at raising the awareness.

(Photo by Mark Washburn)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1140 [1]
Given Kudos: 420
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.58
WE:Analyst (Accounting)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi All,

I interviewed at Tuck recently and loved the school! The campus is beautiful, the people are very friendly and helpful, the school is surrounded by essential shops forming a wonderful township! Tuck definitely is the best campus I have been to!

I sat in a FY statistics class and got a good perspective of the Tuck classroom. Prof. PK did a lot of cold calling and was humorous by sharing anecdotes of his interactions with his wife in the case being discussed.

I interviewed with a SY student. The interview was very casual and friendly. Here are the questions asked:
1. run me through your resume
2. why did my business model fail
3. what skills do i see myself lagging in and why I need a MBA
4. why Tuck MBA
5. leadership and team work skills
6. any questions for him
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
kvazar wrote:
Hi guys!

The drawback is that if admitted, your non-refundable deposit is due in January. So from a personal planning standpoint, if you hear back from your other top choice schools in December (Round 1 applications) and Tuck is one of your top choices then EA might make sense. However, if there are schools you're applying to that you prefer over Tuck but you won't receive those decisions in time, then it might not be optimal.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Tuckies Abroad: Summer Travels in Nicaragua

By Eduardo Gonzalez Bruno T'17

Eduardo is a first-year student at Tuck. Originally from San Juan, Puerto Rico, Eduardo graduated from the University of Chicago in 2012 with a BA in Public Policy. Before Tuck, he spent three more years in Chicago working for Discover Financial Services in a variety of project management roles dealing primarily with mobile and web related projects. Outside the classroom, Eduardo’s hobbies include movies, traveling, baseball, and hopefully learning how to ski soon! He can be reached at eduardo.t.gonzalez.bruno.tu17@tuck.dartmouth.edu.

The summer before the hustle and bustle of first year begins, Tuck offers a variety of “pre-term programs” to take part in. From the famous (infamous?) Outward Bound to the community service-focused Tuck Builds, there are a ton of great ways to meet and have fun with your fellow Tuckies over the summer. For my part, I wanted to take this opportunity to visit a country I had never been to and try things I’d never done. Because of that, the Nicaragua International Adventure fit perfectly.

Over the course of 10 days, our small group trekked, kayaked, zip-lined, hiked, and ash-boarded through beautiful Nicaragua. Through it all, we were led by our amazingly knowledgeable guide who taught us about the local history, nature, and food.

While every day of the trip offered something new, perhaps my favorite was our day in Nicaragua Libre, a rural farming-based community where we stayed with a local family. Our day there began with us helping them with their farming, working as a team to divide and conquer the tasks. Tired and battered from the manual labor, we moved on to horseback riding. Since we were all novice horsemen, we were diligently taught learned on the fly to ride horses across the beautiful countryside. Later that
evening, we met back up with our hosts to donate some school supplies for their community, and as our group’s native Spanish speaker I got to MC the event. As our day wound down our hosts invited us to join them around a campfire for local legends and music under the stars.

For me, our day at Nicaragua Libre encapsulated the trip perfectly: as we went through all these experiences, we worked together to help each other succeed. We became more productive in our farming by splitting up tasks, [more or less] learned to horseback ride by giving each other tips as we went along, and finally banded together to give back to our hosts. As a vacation alone the trip was excellent, full of activities which allowed us to see more of Nicaragua than I ever thought possible in 10 days. But it was the days like the one in Nicaragua Libre that elevated it to something truly unique as we supported each other through our shared experiences and, I think, learned more in the process.

Before taking part in the trip, a lot of people asked me “what exactly does this Nicaraguan trip have to do with business school?” In many ways, I’ll admit, the question is valid. We certainly weren’t discussing supply and demand curves or how to best manage teams. However, I think in many ways Tuck is about learning to take risks and work outside your comfort zone. In that sense, the Nicaragua trip was a perfect introduction to school. It was a trip that took me to an unfamiliar country, to take part in activities I’d never done with people I’d never met. But by the end it was clear that it had created memories and friends for a lifetime.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Technically Speaking: A Brief FAQ

Whether it’s your online bank account, new iPhone, or MBA application, technical unknowns can cause a lot of angst. This summer, we adopted a new application platform to make your experience smoother. We’re pretty excited about its clean interface and user friendliness. That said, no matter how advanced our society has become, nothing is ever completely clear when technology is involved! 

Here are a few logistical questions we’ve been getting from applicants. Some tackle technology quirks and others offer a helpful look into how things work. If you have a question that’s not addressed here, please feel free to comment below or email the admissions office.

Q: My recommenders did not receive the emails from the application system, and I think the emails may have been caught by my company's firewall. Is there an email address or domain I should have my company whitelist?

A: For whatever reason, the application system just doesn’t like some of the recommender email addresses. For now, send an email letting us know and we’ll manually re-send the email to the recommender.

Q: After submitting my application it still looks like there are documents that are incomplete or have not been received – though I’m positive I included them.

A: Even though an applicant has submitted their application, the material status will not change until we begin processing the applications and manually make the change. Once we begin doing so, we will notify ALL applicants to let them know either that we’re missing a particular item OR that their application is complete and their file has moved onto the Admissions Committee to be read.

Q: The credentials I use to access my application won’t allow me to log-in and schedule an interview.

A: At the moment, we’re working with two separate programs, so you’ll be accessing two different Tuck accounts; one for the application and one to book an interview or attend an event. We commiserate with the extensive number of passwords we’re all required to keep track of these days and appreciate your patience with one more! 

Q: I’m currently waitlisted for an interview. When will I come off the waitlist? If I sign up for multiple spots, will it increase my chances of getting an interview?

A: Our interview and visit dates are based on the academic calendar and interviewer availability. The system only allows applicants to register for one spot (whether it’s waitlisted or confirmed) in order to best manage attendance. It is important to understand that sometimes getting off the waitlist depends upon another visitor cancelling their registration. Additionally, waitlist spots will be updated to “confirmed” only for the specific time you selected. For example, if you’re waitlisted for 11:00am and a 2:15pm spot on the same day becomes available, your registration won’t be automatically updated. You may wish to periodically monitor the site to see if another time that works for you becomes available. We will continue to post new interview spots as able.

Q: My study abroad is listed as part of my undergrad transcript. Do I still need to upload it separately?

A: Maybe. If the transcript from your actual, degree granting university includes the specific courses you took abroad with grades for each, then no. But if it only tells us that you were there, or that you got credit, didn’t get credit, passed or failed…then yes, please upload both transcripts. If you transferred from one school to another, we need both as well.   
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: To the Veterans, From a Veteran

By Dave Dauphinais 

Dave is currently enrolled in the joint Masters in Business Administration and Masters in Public Administration program between Tuck and Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government. Prior to going back to school, he spent ten years in the Navy working in Special Operations. He brings to campus experience from Iraq, Afghanistan, the Philippines, Horn of Africa and Yemen among other locations worldwide. Dave’s academic and professional focus is on the public and private intersection of energy, specifically involving private investment and security. He is in his first year at Harvard and looks forward to joining the Tuck Class of 2018 next fall. 

To the Veterans,

The transition from active duty to business school is hard. It has a daunting financial cost, we are putting behind a culture of service in our military network, and it is difficult to translate your military service to an admission board. To be sure, there are many great business schools that are worth considering. But if you are a military veteran, there should be only one: Tuck. The culture, the financial incentives, the education, and Tuck’s support to the military really is not matched.

Culture: Tuck students are more experienced than many competing schools on average. There are no undergrads (no offense to those enterprising young MBAs out there). Dean Slaughter has rolled out his commitment to international engagement during your time as a student. And more simply, there is a culture of community when you arrive on campus. Tuck takes this very seriously. Your “fit” is a large part of admission and it resonates with a veteran’s sense of service. The culture is perhaps most evident among the fiercely loyal alumni Tuck. It is not matched anywhere in the world and this is not even a debate. National average giving rates among alumni of graduate schools hovers around 30-40%. Tuck proudly claims 70%. As a veteran, finding a culture of community and service to others was a priority for me. Tuck is very distinctive here.

Financial Support: The financial support for a veteran attending Tuck is both clear and measurable. For veterans eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program, 90% of tuition is covered. Yes, that’s right. The Yellow Ribbon Program is the best indicator of how much a school truly supports veterans and when you apply it really should be part of your research. The program is voluntary for schools in the amount of money offered by the school and in the number of veterans they will support so it serves as a telling indicator. Tuck has done the math and they offer a substantial level of support without limit on the number of veteran recipients.

Military Recruiting: There is a yet another reason why military vets should pursue Tuck over other schools. Her name is Kristin Roth. Kristin’s formal title is the Associate Director of Admissions but in addition to that, she works tirelessly on veteran recruiting. She captures it very well on Tuck’s website with insight on Tuck’s family community for veterans with partners and children, the Career Development Office and how Tuck’s general management education is extremely advantageous after military service. In my own experience, I have not forgotten the numerous phone conversations, informational interviews and genuine support she provided me before I even applied! To me, people like Kristin make a big difference.

For vets, things like culture, financial consideration for our service, general management education and our “fit” are huge priorities. We often step on campus with families and without great financial means. Tuck supports and promotes its veterans like no other school. 
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Hey, I have a question about Tuck interviews. If we are applying in the January round are we allowed to schedule an interview before we submit the application? For instance, could I do an onsite interview in November and then submit my application in December? The FAQ on the website says that interviews should be completed "in cycle" but I wasn't sure whether that meant for the same matriculation year (2016) or the specific round.

If not, the website shows the January application due date is Jan 6th and the interview date is Jan 29th, and that would leave a very small window for class visits (even if the application is submitted a couple weeks early, I'm guessing the school would be on winter break).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
jz4analytics wrote:
Hey, I have a question about Tuck interviews. If we are applying in the January round are we allowed to schedule an interview before we submit the application? For instance, could I do an onsite interview in November and then submit my application in December? The FAQ on the website says that interviews should be completed "in cycle" but I wasn't sure whether that meant for the same matriculation year (2016) or the specific round.

If not, the website shows the January application due date is Jan 6th and the interview date is Jan 29th, and that would leave a very small window for class visits (even if the application is submitted a couple weeks early, I'm guessing the school would be on winter break).

The Tuck Admissions Office can probably give you a definitive answer but I think you can schedule/conduct your interview prior to submitting application. On the application form, there is an interview page where you can indicate that your interview has already been completed. Also, I don't believe you are asked what round you intend to apply when you book the interview (I could be remembering incorrectly though since I booked mine awhile ago).

Best
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
there's a part of the application where you see: "I have read the interview policies."
and you're supposed to choose "yes" or "no"

i have a dumb question: is there an actual document to read? i couldn't find it. i understand that they have an open interview policy, but i'm trying to find the actual policies so i can honestly say "yes" to this
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Addressing Tricky Situations

Let’s talk optional essay. This isn’t really an essay, but it is very optional. Don’t feel like you have to fill the space, just because we’ve offered it. The optional essay is, however, an opportunity for you to tell us anything else you think we need to know . . . especially the tricky items you’d rather avoid. You might be able to ignore them but the admissions committee cannot.

Furthermore, we can only evaluate your application based on the information you give us. Brief and to the point phrases may give us the basics of a situation, but fail to fully explain what’s going on. When that happens, you’re raising questions in the readers’ minds. If you leave it to your reader to guess the answer, you’re opening yourself up to misinterpretation and mistakes. Your job as an applicant is to be upfront; answer those questions before they ever become an issue.

Gap in Employment

The gap itself isn’t necessarily troubling. The bigger problem would be not addressing what you did during that period of unemployment. In this type of situation, we don’t know if the applicant is doing something amazing or if they are sitting on the couch binge watching Netflix. Moral of the story: never make us guess about anything, because we may guess wrong.

Recommender Choice

Many people are hesitant to ask their current supervisor for a letter of recommendation because they fear it might jeopardize their employment. This isn’t a big problem if you tell us that’s the reason, but if you don’t explain it, we are left with the equally realistic assumption that you don’t have a good working relationship with your supervisor.

Major Career Changes

Things that might seem obvious to you are not necessarily obvious to us. Because you’ve probably been thinking about this switch for a long time, the reasons for the change may seem clear to you, but if you don’t explain them to us, we’re left guessing. Remember, we don’t know you beyond what you tell us.

Academic Stumbles

Often we’ll see resumes that highlight an applicant’s GPA in their major or for their last two years at school. OK, we understand why you’d want to highlight the areas you did better in, but that doesn’t mean we aren’t going to look at everything. Acknowledge your academic flaws, whether it was one course or a whole semester. Give us an understanding of the situation (is there a specific reason for the poor performance you can point to?), what you learned from it and, most importantly, why this is an anomaly and not a reflection of the student you will be at Tuck.

Final suggestion: After you think your application is ready to go, have someone who doesn’t know you very well read it to see if any lingering questions remain – to make sure you have connected all of the dots. If you haven’t addressed those questions, make sure you do. If that information won’t reasonably fit somewhere in the application, use the optional essay to explain. We are kind people and want to see all of you succeed, so please help us help you by providing all of the information we need to make the best case for your admission.

Good luck to all those Early Action applicants getting ready to hit submit! Tuck's Early Action deadline is tomorrow, October 7, 2015. Next application deadline: November 4, 2015. 

PHOTO: Laura Welch T'14
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6  ...  42   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6985 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts