It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 06:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2018 - Calling All Applicants!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 58

Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2018 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2015, 14:30
This post was
BOOKMARKED
gpc wrote:
The interview registration is online. I got September 18(class visit + interview).

kheown wrote:
gpc wrote:
No news yet on the interview dates or when scheduling them will be online? I keep checking the website every couple of hours...

Hi!

I check several times everyday too... Got my flight booked and I can't wait to see the dates published! I think it should be any day now...

Thanks for the heads up! I checked 4 hours ago and there was nothing up yet...

I registered for September 18th too, class visit+interview @ 11am. However, now the status for that time is "accepting waitlists" but it says Im registered on my events/interview page. Did you also register for that time and they only allow a handful of us at a time? I don't see any other hour with "accepting waitlists" status.

Thanks!
kheown

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V36
GMAT 2: 620 Q42 V36
GPA: 3
WE: Project Management (Consumer Products)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2015, 09:54
Hi All,

Just registered for Interview / class visit on September 29.

Anyone going on those dates?

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2015, 12:00
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Tuck’s 2015-2016 application is open!

Tuck's 2015-2016 application is now open! For us, the application process is meant to provide a platform that allows applicants to fully express their candidacy by presenting their accomplishments and sharing their goals and vison for who they strive to become. And, it’s a process we consistently work to make as transparent as possible.

As you begin the application, keep in mind that we will evaluate your candidacy very holistically. Please take each portion as seriously as the last, from the essays to the letters of recommendation to the application itself.

We sincerely look forward to learning about you all. Please feel free to contact Tuck’s Admissions Office if you have any questions throughout the application process.

Good luck!

Director of Admissions Dawna Clarke, on behalf of the entire Tuck Admissions Team
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2015, 12:00
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Alaska Native, Stanford Grad, Pilot: Meet Katelyn T’17

By Katelyn Baldwin T'17

Katelyn is an incoming T’17 from Wasilla, Alaska. She graduated from Stanford in 2009 with a BA in international relations and minors in African and Middle Eastern languages and Jewish studies. Before Tuck, she spent nearly five years in international development working for Chemonics International, an implementing partner of the U.S. Agency for International Development. Outside of the office and classroom, she enjoys flying planes, hiking up mountains, playing basketball, and swimming.

From the moment I set foot inside Tuck’s Raether Hall, I knew where I wanted to spend the next two years. It was a clear, crisp, December afternoon, and I had flown up to New Hampshire from Washington, D.C. for an interview. Raether, with its floor to ceiling windows and stunning view of towering pine trees, is one of countless spots on Tuck’s campus and the greater Upper Valley region where the natural setting inspires. This school—with its small size, collaborative nature, community focus, and idyllic setting in rural New Hampshire, was where I wanted to earn my MBA.

If you are considering Tuck, I highly recommend taking advantage of the opportunity offered to all prospective students to visit campus and interview. It is difficult to get a sense for the school and its culture until you fly into Boston or Manchester, drive to Hanover, and spend the day on campus.

I was impressed by the effort put forth by the Admissions Office to ensure my visit was worthwhile. Outside of my interview, which was conducted by a second-year student, I participated in a Q&A with an admissions officer, toured campus, shared lunch with the other interviewees on campus that day, and attended Decision Science (aka “Dec Sci”), a first year core course.

My experience during Admitted Students Weekend (ASW) last April allowed me to meet more of the incredible and diverse group that comprises the Tuck community. During our first night, a second-year student hosted a small group for dinner at her house across the Connecticut River in Norwich, Vermont. I appreciated the perspective and advice she provided on our forthcoming experience. She told us that two years will fly by, and don’t start school without knowing your priorities for time, because it’s impossible to do everything you will want to do (even if you forego sleep!). Small group dinners, often hosted by or including faculty, are social events that occur frequently at Tuck. I can’t wait to experience more.

My fear of living in a dorm at age 27 was also assuaged during ASW. Dorms at Tuck are large singles with self-contained bathrooms and luxurious extra-long double beds. Over half of the class lives in dorms during the first year. Connected to classrooms through underground tunnels, dorms are often the center of the first year social experience. There is actually more demand than availability.

In the months since ASW, I’ve gotten to know the group of T’17s in the D.C. area. From pre-MBA recruiting events to classic D.C. happy hours, we have already begun to support each other and share information as we explore different career industries of interest. Seeing the collaborative nature of Tuck manifest itself before school even starts has solidified my feeling that I made the right decision. In part, I think Tuck’s supportive nature derives from the fact that, among top MBA programs, Tuck is one of the smallest and has one of the highest documented ROIs. There are more than enough exciting, fulfilling, and rewarding career opportunities to go around, so the focus becomes helping each individual grow into their best self, and building bonds that will last a lifetime.

I will be arriving on campus August 22 to attend Tuck’s pre-enrollment program (PEP). PEP is aimed at preparing students with less quantitative work experience for success in the rigorous core curriculum. I look forward to this week to ensure that I am ready for my quantitative courses when Fall A kicks off on September 7.

Until then, I’m working hard to finish up my private pilot’s license. Having the skills to fly recreationally has been a dream of mine since I was a little girl. I am close to the end of a long and intense training process, and hope to finish before I arrive on campus. One of the extra draws to Tuck is its proximity to the Lebanon airport. Once certified, I can’t wait to maintain my skills by flying around New England!
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Schools: Tuck '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 2: 720 Q46 V44
GPA: 2.7
WE: Law (Law)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2015, 14:53
"kheown", that's exactly the same time slot I have. I also received the email confirmation.

I heard they have multiple interviews at the same time, all with different interviewers. We must've filled all the slots for this time. I guess I'll see you there!

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

BSchool Forum Moderator

Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2015, 15:41
gpc wrote:
"kheown", that's exactly the same time slot I have. I also received the email confirmation.

I heard they have multiple interviews at the same time, all with different interviewers. We must've filled all the slots for this time. I guess I'll see you there!

Hahaha cool! I'll meet you up there then! :D

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2015, 10:00
This post was
BOOKMARKED
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Applicant-Initiated Interviews

What are applicant-initiated interviews and why does Tuck offer them? Tuck is unique in that we offer all applicants the opportunity to interview on-campus, in Hanover. We want to get to know you fully and give as many people as possible the chance to shine!

Further, this is an amazing opportunity for you to experience what makes Tuck distinctive. When you come for an interview, you will also attend a class (depending on availability), have lunch and take a tour with Tuck students, and attend a Q&A session with an Admissions Officer. The visit provides a full sense of the school and thus helps applicants understand why Tuck is right for them (which they can then articulate in their essay!).

Interviews are scheduled online on a first-come, first-served basis so please register for an interview as soon as you decide to apply. Interviews begin September 11. Please note that your interview must be completed by the published “Applicant-Initiated Interview Complete” deadline for the round in which you are applying.

If you are not able to get to Hanover by the published deadline, the admissions committee may invite you to interview after reviewing your application. We understand that distance and extenuating circumstances might prevent some applicants from making the trip. Though we won’t hold it against you, please explain your reasons for not coming to campus in the application. Invitational interviews are conducted either on campus, with a traveling Admissions Officer, or via Skype.

Be aware that interview slots tend to fill up quickly. Don’t wait too long to register for an interview and miss out on the only way to guarantee face-to-face time with an admissions representative.

For some tips on interviewing at Tuck, check out this Tuck 360 post on “Interviewing Do’s and Don’ts” from Senior Associate Director Pat Harrison.

We hope to see you in Hanover soon!

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 21

Concentration: Other, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V40
WE: Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2015, 13:01
Hello everyone! Just signed-up for a Nov 4th Interview + class visit. I am hoping to go to the diversity weekend afterwards and kill two birds with a stone.

Anyone else coming, maybe we should connect!

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 21

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2015, 08:00
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Top 10 Reasons Why Tuck is the Most Family-Friendly MBA

By Isaac Ipson T'15

Isaac is a recently graduated T’15 who is headed with his wife and two sons (four and almost two) to Dallas, Texas.

My time at Tuck has unfortunately come to an end but as I finish up a summer full of time with my family before starting my full-time job, I wanted to reflect on something that meant a lot to me about Tuck. I truly cannot imagine a better place for a student with a family (like myself) to get an MBA. My wife and I arrived in Hanover with a two-year-old son, another son just a month from being born, and with our closest family members in Denver, Colo. Nonetheless, Tuck, the Upper Valley, and our new friends made it feel more like home to us than anywhere we have ever lived.

And so, to honor what a great place Tuck is for MBA students with families, here is my personal (certainly incomplete) top ten list of why Tuck is the most family-friendly MBA.

1.  Small-town events: Hanover and other small towns in the Upper Valley have great, free events. The first one we went to was the Fall Festival at Storrs pond. There were firetrucks, bobbing for apples, donuts on a string, live music, food, etc. and it was all free! We couldn’t believe it. If something like that existed in Chicago where we moved from, there would have been hundreds of people and it would have cost five dollars to do each thing. Image
We also always loved the Hanover Christmas party that takes over the whole town (Dartmouth tree lighting, Santa at the bank, cookies decorating at Lou’s, etc.). Other memorable events were the Trails to Tastes in Woodstock, the Dartmouth Winter Carnival, and the Keene Pumpkin Festival (we were present for the breaking of the world record for most jack-o-lanterns).

2.  Tiny Tuckies: Several partners lead up the Tiny Tuckies Club for kids of students and it is a great way for kids to play and celebrate holidays together while also bringing together all the families at Tuck. My wife was one of the co-chairs our first year.

3.  Sachem Village: While plenty of Tuck families choose to live other places and love it, we were always extremely happy with our choice to live in Sachem. I really can’t imagine a better place to live and now that our time is up, I'm not sure we'll ever have such a great neighborhood again. It was so nice having so many friends within walking distance both for my kids and for my wife and me.

4.  Safe, quiet: I felt comfortable everywhere we went. It really is the "leave your door unlocked" type of location.

5.  Road trips: Coming from the West, we took full advantage of seeing as many new places as we could. New England is a fantastic place to see a lot of beautiful places close by and also a great place to travel elsewhere from. We took lots of New England trips as a family such as to Cape Cod, Boston, the Maine coast, and the mansions of Newport, R.I. We also adventured further to places like Quebec City, New York City, Philadelphia, and Washington, D.C. Business school is very busy when in session, but we took full advantage of the frequent long breaks to pack in fun trips like these with the family.

6.  Snow days: Although Tuck doesn’t close for anything, my pre-school kids got plenty of these. Now that we're moving to Texas, it's kind of sad that we won't get to play in the snow anymore.

7.  Small class: I think a small class size really contributes to making it easier for me, as the student, to stay involved and get to know my classmates while still spending a lot of time at home. Because Tuck is relatively small, I felt involved and well-known even though I did participate less in social activities than others. At a larger school, I think I may have found it easier to stay less involved and treat school more like a job I commute to. Instead, I felt that my entire family was very involved in the Tuck community and that made it easier for me to participate in more things than I may have elsewhere.

8.  Great schools: This wasn't a huge consideration for me when coming to Hanover since my kids are very young, but from when we first got to Hanover and signed my kids up for Toddlers Morning Out, we had a great experience. We also loved the Hanover Nursery School that my son went to second year. The older schools in Hanover are fantastic as well.

9.  Proximity to campus: This one is important to me for the same reason as the small class size. Because I was always just a ten-minute bike ride (or bus ride during the winter months) from home, I could help at home when kids were sick or other things were going on and still be able to be involved in things that were important whenever needed.

10.  Close-knit community: This is one that you probably hear about Tuck a lot. While it might be covered a bit in other points above, there really is an overarching inclusiveness at Tuck and in Hanover in general. From students to professors to food staff and beyond, you always felt a special connection to each other and to where you were. In fact, even the DMV (in Concord, I believe) was the best DMV experience of my life! (No wait, friendly people.)

Tuck really was a place where my entire family felt a part of something together. My wife had her doubts when she first arrived to such a remote, foreign place, but once we were here for a week, I don't think we ever regretted our decision. Well, maybe she did for a minute during a March snowstorm first year. . . .

So if you have a family and are thinking about an MBA, come to Hanover and see what you would be missing if you don't give Tuck a shot.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2015, 10:00
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Top 10 Reasons Why Tuck is the Most Family-Friendly MBA

By Isaac Ipson T'15

Isaac is a recently graduated T’15 who is headed with his wife and two sons (four and almost two) to Dallas, Texas.

My time at Tuck has unfortunately come to an end but as I finish up a summer full of time with my family before starting my full-time job, I wanted to reflect on something that meant a lot to me about Tuck. I truly cannot imagine a better place for a student with a family (like myself) to get an MBA. My wife and I arrived in Hanover with a two-year-old son, another son just a month from being born, and with our closest family members in Denver, Colo. Nonetheless, Tuck, the Upper Valley, and our new friends made it feel more like home to us than anywhere we have ever lived.

And so, to honor what a great place Tuck is for MBA students with families, here is my personal (certainly incomplete) top ten list of why Tuck is the most family-friendly MBA.

1.  Small-town events: Hanover and other small towns in the Upper Valley have great, free events. The first one we went to was the Fall Festival at Storrs pond. There were firetrucks, bobbing for apples, donuts on a string, live music, food, etc. and it was all free! We couldn’t believe it. If something like that existed in Chicago where we moved from, there would have been hundreds of people and it would have cost five dollars to do each thing. Image
We also always loved the Hanover Christmas party that takes over the whole town (Dartmouth tree lighting, Santa at the bank, cookies decorating at Lou’s, etc.). Other memorable events were the Trails to Tastes in Woodstock, the Dartmouth Winter Carnival, and the Keene Pumpkin Festival (we were present for the breaking of the world record for most jack-o-lanterns).

2.  Tiny Tuckies: Several partners lead up the Tiny Tuckies Club for kids of students and it is a great way for kids to play and celebrate holidays together while also bringing together all the families at Tuck. My wife was one of the co-chairs our first year.

3.  Sachem Village: While plenty of Tuck families choose to live other places and love it, we were always extremely happy with our choice to live in Sachem. I really can’t imagine a better place to live and now that our time is up, I'm not sure we'll ever have such a great neighborhood again. It was so nice having so many friends within walking distance both for my kids and for my wife and me.

4.  Safe, quiet: I felt comfortable everywhere we went. It really is the "leave your door unlocked" type of location.

5.  Road trips: Coming from the West, we took full advantage of seeing as many new places as we could. New England is a fantastic place to see a lot of beautiful places close by and also a great place to travel elsewhere from. We took lots of New England trips as a family such as to Cape Cod, Boston, the Maine coast, and the mansions of Newport, R.I. We also adventured further to places like Quebec City, New York City, Philadelphia, and Washington, D.C. Business school is very busy when in session, but we took full advantage of the frequent long breaks to pack in fun trips like these with the family.

6.  Snow days: Although Tuck doesn’t close for anything, my pre-school kids got plenty of these. Now that we're moving to Texas, it's kind of sad that we won't get to play in the snow anymore.

7.  Small class: I think a small class size really contributes to making it easier for me, as the student, to stay involved and get to know my classmates while still spending a lot of time at home. Because Tuck is relatively small, I felt involved and well-known even though I did participate less in social activities than others. At a larger school, I think I may have found it easier to stay less involved and treat school more like a job I commute to. Instead, I felt that my entire family was very involved in the Tuck community and that made it easier for me to participate in more things than I may have elsewhere.

8.  Great schools: This wasn't a huge consideration for me when coming to Hanover since my kids are very young, but from when we first got to Hanover and signed my kids up for Toddlers Morning Out, we had a great experience. We also loved the Hanover Nursery School that my son went to second year. The older schools in Hanover are fantastic as well.

9.  Proximity to campus: This one is important to me for the same reason as the small class size. Because I was always just a ten-minute bike ride (or bus ride during the winter months) from home, I could help at home when kids were sick or other things were going on and still be able to be involved in things that were important whenever needed.

10.  Close-knit community: This is one that you probably hear about Tuck a lot. While it might be covered a bit in other points above, there really is an overarching inclusiveness at Tuck and in Hanover in general. From students to professors to food staff and beyond, you always felt a special connection to each other and to where you were. In fact, even the DMV (in Concord, I believe) was the best DMV experience of my life! (No wait, friendly people.)

Tuck really was a place where my entire family felt a part of something together. My wife had her doubts when she first arrived to such a remote, foreign place, but once we were here for a week, I don't think we ever regretted our decision. Well, maybe she did for a minute during a March snowstorm first year. . . .

So if you have a family and are thinking about an MBA, come to Hanover and see what you would be missing if you don't give Tuck a shot.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2015, 10:00
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Private Sector Investments for a Better World
By Bernhard Marschitz T'16

Bernhard earned an MA degree with the School of Advanced International Studies at Johns Hopkins University in 2010. *This post originally appeared on the Tuck Center for Business and Society blog.

While my four years in consulting were no doubt enjoyable (and also turned me into somewhat of an Excel and PowerPoint Ninja), I wanted to experience something completely different during my summer internship. Ideally my MBA internship would expose me to private equity in emerging markets, have a positive impact on peoples’ lives, allow time for personal commitments and provide enough income to pay for monthly expenses. Based on these lofty aspirations, I realized that my job search would have to focus off the beaten path and most likely not conclude until late into the first year of my MBA program. After countless informational interviews with extremely helpful Tuck and SAIS alumni over the course of many months, I was fortunate enough to earn a position with the International Finance Corporation’s Fintech team in Washington D.C. by April, supported by funds from Tuck GIVES. The IFC’s Fintech team is one of the largest investors in financial technology companies in emerging and developing markets. Since 2010, the group has invested $180M in equity and debt in early- and growth-stage Fintech companies in Asia, Africa, and Latin America.

Two months into the internship, I can already say that my experience at the IFC has not only met all my requirements, but exceeded them. My daily work with the Fintech team allows me to get invaluable insights into the IFC’s culture and its unique investment approach. Because my summer internship at the IFC is less structured than a typical MBA internship, it allows for flexibility and unique learning experiences. Over the last few weeks I have been able to assess potential new investments in Latin America and help the team exit a portfolio company. More importantly, I feel like a full-time team member whose voice and suggestions are heard and appreciated. In addition, having a tight group of T’16s in DC and living together with one of them makes for some great experiences and somewhat eases the hard separation from my wife and child.

Overall, I am very happy that I pursued this path for my MBA internship, and did not end up compromising my initial requirements in order to shorten the search process. Although I am looking forward to going back to management consulting for many years to come, I am delighted to have had this experience and found another field of work that I am extremely passionate about.

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P
Affiliations: GMAT Club

Kudos [?]: 3790 [0], given: 2446

City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2015, 08:45
Chat will start in 15 minutes. If you are around, join the chat room - http://gmatclub.com/gchat/

Narenn wrote:
Dear Applicants,

The first session of Tuck Live Q&A series is happening on August 18th in which Amy Mitson - Senior Associate Director of Admissions at Tuck- will chat with prospective applicants and answer their questions about Tuck's MBA program.

Brief intro of Amy Mitson: Amy has been at Tuck since 2000 and is currently Senior Associate Director of Admissions. Prior to working with Tuck Admissions, Amy was the Senior Associate Director of the MBA Program Office. As an admissions officer at Tuck, Amy serves on the admissions committee, reads applications, interviews candidates, oversees the campus visitation program, and manages recruiting efforts in Asia. Her combined student services and admissions experiences have helped her get acquainted with the day-to-day operations at Tuck as well as its history. Her favourite thing about Tuck is the people; working with the faculty, staff and students is a consistent source of motivation and inspiration.

Date: August 18, 2015
Time: 9 AM Pacific Time
Place: GMAT Club Chat Room

So save the event in your Google calendar and be in the chat room on 18th August with your questions.

Every Wednesday: Meet MBA Experts in Chat Room and Ask Your Most-Pressing MBA Admission Questions to them in a Live Chat.

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Kudos [?]: 3790 [0], given: 2446

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 105

Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2015, 02:30
nachobioteck wrote:
Hello everyone! Just signed-up for a Nov 4th Interview + class visit. I am hoping to go to the diversity weekend afterwards and kill two birds with a stone.

Anyone else coming, maybe we should connect!

Great choice the Diversity Conference (DivCo) is an amazing weekend!

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 105

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 345 [2], given: 413

GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.58
WE: Analyst (Accounting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2015, 05:34
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for participating in Tuck adcom chat yesterday. It was a very nice session with many great questions and insightful answers to them by Amy Mitson. Here are select Q&As from the chat. If anyone wants the read complete chat transcript, the same is attached to this post.

Good Luck to everyone applying to Tuck this year!!

"The MBA application process is very selfish in ways. Do not think about what anybody else is doing or where they are from and their test scores. Spend more time thinking about why YOU want an MBA and what skills and contributions YOU will bring." - Amy Mitson, Senior Associate Director of MBA Admissions at Tuck

usr123: Hi Amy, my first question is about Tuck's location. Does being situated in remote location give some disadvantage?

Tuck_Amy: While travel will take a bit longer because of our location outside the city, I see the ADVANTAGE in our location. Because we are outside the city, when alumni recruiters and executives come to tuck they are with us for a whole day of events, not just one quick hour and then they head to another office or school. Students have a heightened level of access to anyone who enters our halls because people spend time on campus.

Asw12: Hello Amy, I have a question regarding the career prospects of international students at Tuck, especially with the lottery system in H1B. Has this impacted the placements of the current students and how do you see it in future?

Tuck_Amy: We have 100% placement for our students when it comes to summer internships and a 96% placement rate for full time offers within 3 months of graduation. This is not the first time we have seen visas limited, and unfortunately, I cannot predict what the future holds. That being said, the career development team will be a strong partner for anyone who is challenged by visa issues or hiring companies.

udit: Hi Amy, my question is related to the letters of recommendation. If we don’t have direct supervisors (e.g. in consulting firms), can we ask people with whom we have worked closely?

Tuck_Amy: Regarding letters of recommendation, while we like to see a supervisor we know this is not always possible. Choosing someone who is senior to you and who has worked with you closely is acceptable, even if they are not your immediate supervisor. You can always use a bullet point in the optional essay to explain.

Vishwa25: Although no really agrees to the argument that there is a minimum GMAT (let’s just say 730) when you're coming from a competitive pool such as India, I have not known many Indian applicants (maybe one female in 2013 with 710) in last three years making it to Tuck with scores of below 730. Is this a coincidence? Does it make me an average applicant because if I don't possess the much known IIT degree or a 730+ score?

Tuck_Amy: We see a range of candidate GMAT and GRE scores (we have accepted the GRE for the last several years) and you are compared to all applicants, not just those from your geographic area. The average for the entering class is around 718 so the closer you are to this number the more competitive you will be on the GMAT measure. I think your sample size is limited and I have seen scores of admitted candidates below 730 many times.

caleb708: Hi Amy, what is one thing about Tuck that prospective students will NOT get to know from online resources like the college website or chat rooms?

Tuck_Amy: caleb: The fit for you. All of the top schools look and sound amazing and will offer candidates the best of every opportunity. When you read our website, listen to us on panels, etc you start to see what we have to offer, but understanding your fit for a school comes only with further research: Coming to campus, attending a reception, connecting with alumni, etc. These are some of the ways you can start to "get to know" a school and if it is a fit for you.

ankurgupta03: Hi Amy, can you give some advice for the re applicants?

Tuck_Amy: The first step for any reapplicant is to get FEEDBACK. Do not reapply if you have not connected with us to understand why you were not successful the first time around. You can send an email to us and ask for this feedback. Also, take a look at your past application. Review it with mew eyes and experience. Answer for yourself what could have been stronger or said better.

WinterSolstice: Hi Amy, could you speak a bit about the dual degree options Tuck offers? What does the application process for that look like? For example if I am a first year student at SAIS, am I still eligible to apply for the Tuck MBA program, or does the student have to apply to both simultaneously?

Tuck_Amy: The full list of joint degree programs are on our website. You may technically enter into a dual degree program as long as you have not completed one of the degrees. Many candidates apply to each school at the same time, receive independent admissions decisions, and then connect with each school to plan their three years.

kheown: Hello Amy, thank you for your time. If we schedule an applicant-initiated interview, do we have to submit the application before the interview date?

Tuck_Amy: kheown: It is most important to keep the deadlines in mind throughout the application process. You are welcome to interview before or after the app is submitted. The interview is "blind" meaning the interviewer will not have read / does not need your app to complete the interview!

TerryB: Could you speak about Tuck's opportunities regarding nonprofit career paths?

Tuck_Amy: Many students come to Tuck to experience nonprofit. You can gain this exposure starting in the classroom at Tuck, in the community around Dartmouth which is called the Upper Valley, and also out in the world. The Center for Business and Society has worked with many students heading into nonprofit careers.

Aimba123: Hi Amy,I just wanted to know what the teaching method is i.e. case-study method or a different one? Because a lot of firms are very specific about their hiring process and the kind of academic rigor candidates come with

Tuck_Amy: The teaching method is through cases, lectures, and experiential learning. You will see more cases in the first year as a result of the core curriculum and much more variation in the second year as a result of project work, independent studies, etc.

Vishwa25: Can I put in a skill based CV instead of the traditional progression based in my application? Is there any preference?

Tuck_Amy: Our preference is for a one page resume. This is the format that MBA recruiters will want to see, too!

anchitd: Hi Amy! Thank you for joining us at this platform. I would like to know what changes you anticipate for Tuck under leadership of Dean Slaughter.

Tuck_Amy: We are all very excited to be working with Dean Slaughter. He has already challenged us as leaders and staff members at Tuck to question the way we do things, have critical debates about our process, and to work thoughtfully and differently. He challenges all prospective applicants to join us, challenge themselves, and better the world. Just the beginning!

kheown: Do we have to report official test scores with the application? Or can we self-report and then send the official scores if we are admitted?

Tuck_Amy: Official scores are required for a complete application.

kapoormanas1: Hi Amy. Talking a bit about the culture at Tuck, could you mention what are the kinds of community linked initiatives that students may have a chance to be a part of, while at Tuck?

Tuck_Amy: Regarding community initiatives at Tuck, there are many. Numerous clubs come under the umbrella of the resources and opportunities available through the Center for Business and Society. Tuck Volunteers work with community organizations, you can sit on the board of a local non profit, the Tuck Student Consulting Services club does pro bono consulting, the Tuck Finance Club and Women in Business clubs take opportunities to mentor Dartmouth undergrads...just the tip of the iceberg!

abhilash: Hi Amy, Is there any disadvantage in applying in later rounds- being an international candidate.

Tuck_Amy: Regarding when to apply, the earlier you apply the more seats are available in the class and the more scholarship dollars are still available. Also, applying in an early round might be a good thing personally as you might need more time to transition personally to Hanover.

Prateek: Hi Amy, can you elaborate more on the preference for, if any, global experience? And what else counts as global experience apart from having actually worked abroad?

Tuck_Amy: Regarding Global Experience: An applicant with some international experience will have a depth of perspective to add to the classroom and life at Tuck. If you have yet to experience life outside your home country we will provide you with numerous opportunities to grow.

usr123: Amy, since the school accepts both GMAT and GRE how does the school compare two candidates who have given different test? Does the school have an order of preference for GMAT and GRE?

Tuck_Amy: Regarding GMAT vs GRE: First, applicants show a strong preference for the GMAT. I cannot directly compare someone who has taken a GMAT to someone with a GRE. The tests are not exactly the same. I will compare you on the overall strength of your verbal and quant proficiency.

Aimba123: If due to personal reasons/family moving, someone has to take a few months off. Is that considered looked down upon in this competitive race?

Tuck_Amy: You have room in the application to explain work gaps. We appreciate this detail and it will help us to understand what you have done with your time. If you have a work gap and do not explain, that is a mistake...who knows what we could make up!

Chat Transcript
Attachment:
Tuck Admissions Chat 18th August 15.pdf [655.06 KiB]
Downloaded 28 times
To download please login or register as a user

Cheers!!

JA
If you like my post, let me know. Give me a kudos! :)

Kudos [?]: 345 [2], given: 413

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2015, 17:00
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Tuck Admissions Hits the Road
Stephanie Butler has worked in Tuck's Admissions Office since 2011 and is now an Assistant Director of Admissions. She serves on the admissions committee, reads applications, interviews candidates, and travels for Tuck.

We’re officially in the thick of travel season in the Tuck Admissions Office. Like ships in the night, for the next few months, my colleagues and I will see each other in various combinations, but rarely all at once. We leave Hanover behind to travel the world, meet awesome people like you, and talk about Tuck.

Case in point, a snapshot of last night: While I was hosting a Tuck Reception in Atlanta, GA, Pat was in Washington, DC at a Forté Forum, Dawna was on her way to Philadelphia, PA for a Lunch with the Director, and I’m guessing Kristine was recovering from all the great conversations she had the night before at The MBA Tour in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

(SIDE NOTE: If my timing seems off, it's because I started this post at my hotel in Atlanta and am finishing over a smoothie in Miami, FL. Not a bad week!)

Check out our travel calendar to see when we’ll be close to you. We can’t go everywhere, but we do our best. Also, we often add events throughout the year, so keep checking in.

The bottom line is this: Come visit us when we’re in your neighborhood! This is a great opportunity to get to know the school better, ask questions about the application process, talk to Tuck alumni (sometimes), and generally get on our radar. I’ll leave you with a few words of advice.

1) This is often the first time we’re meeting each other, so make it count! We’re not technically evaluating you, but a positive attitude and good energy can go a long way. (And a negative attitude can be memorable for all the wrong reasons.)

2) Be prepared. You don’t have to know everything about Tuck (that’s why we do this!), but coming with good questions can make it more beneficial for both of us

3) Finally, make the most of it. Ask that question, talk to the alumni after a Tuck Reception, and take a business card to follow-up later.

Bon voyage for now, but I look forward to meeting many of you on the road!   

PHOTO: Taking a stroll in Miami, FL before the Forté Forum!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2015, 11:00
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Letters of Recommendation FAQs
Letters of recommendation (LORs) are naturally the only part of the application not completed by the applicant themselves. Because of this, many applicants feel like they don’t have much influence over this part of the application. Fortunately, this isn’t true! Through choosing, preparing, and checking-in on your recommenders, you can make a positive impact on your LORs. Please reference the FAQs below for tips and advice.

Who should I choose to write my LORs? The LORs are meant to provide us with additional insight into your talents, strengths (and weaknesses), and potential. We typically like to see recommendations from an immediate supervisor - someone who has worked with you closely and can really speak to your work experience, leadership, maturity, team orientation, communication skills, intellectual ability and interpersonal skills in detail and with supporting anecdotes. Note that it is more important to choose someone who has worked with you directly than someone with an impressive title who has had little direct contact or interaction with you. Additionally, be sure to choose individuals who will not only write a positive and detailed recommendation for you, but who have also indicated that they have the time to do so.

What if I don’t want my current supervisor to know I am applying to business school? We understand that applicants may fear that telling their supervisor will jeopardize their employment. In these situations, a former supervisor, a client, a co-worker you don’t report to but is senior to you, or someone in a senior role in an extracurricular organization (that you have extensive involvement with) are options. These are also good options for your second recommender. However, if you are not providing a recommendation from your current supervisor, we suggest you include an explanation in the optional essay so we do not assume that it is because you don’t have a good working relationship with them.

What if I have a new supervisor who doesn’t know me well? As with the previous question, please explain the situation to us in the optional essay and use the suggestions above to select someone who does know you well.

What if my current supervisor is a family member? We do not recommend asking family or friends for LORs. If you work for a family business and your supervisor is a family member, we suggest asking a client, customer, outside advisor, non-family member in a high-level position in the organization, or former supervisor (if you worked for another company before you joined your family company) to write the recommendation for you instead.

Should I ask one of my professors? We do not recommend asking a professor to write the recommendation. We will know how you performed in classes from your grades, and professors are not usually in a position to provide insight into the areas we are most interested in learning about.

What if I’m an entrepreneur? A business partner is a good option if you are an entrepreneur.

Should I have two recommendations from my current employer or utilize previous employers? Use your best judgment here. If your prior job was a long time ago, the information about your performance there might be less relevant. However, if you have only been in each job a relatively short time, or the jobs were very different, having the perspective from different employers helps us get a more complete picture of you. It also helps us see that you left a prior job on good terms. If two recommendations from the same employer will say essentially the same thing, then giving perspective from another employer is also nice to see.

Can I submit more than two recommendations? We would prefer you didn’t. Only submit a third if you feel it is absolutely critical to providing a complete picture of your candidacy.

What if my recommender doesn’t speak English? In this situation, you should have your recommender write their comments in their native language, and then have it translated into English by an official translator. You should not translate it for them. Doing so would be a violation of the terms of our application process and Tuck’s Academic Honor Principle and could result in rescission of an offer of admission or termination of a student’s enrollment.

How should I prepare my recommenders? First, be sure to give your recommenders plenty of time to complete the recommendations by the application deadline. Then, take some time with your recommenders (perhaps take them out for coffee) and discuss your goals and reasons for getting an MBA. Remind them of your recent performance reviews and significant accomplishments. Having these specifics will assist them in writing a more compelling LOR with specific examples to use in supporting their comments. Note that we want an honest and independent assessment of your skills, so you should not be telling your recommenders what to say. Doing so would be a violation of the terms of our application process and Tuck’s Academic Honor Principle and could result in rescission of an offer of admission or termination of a student’s enrollment. If a recommender asks you to draft or write a recommendation for them, you should decline and find another recommender.

What do you mean by checking-in on your recommenders? It is your responsibility to make sure that your evaluators are aware of the deadlines and to ensure that both LORs have been submitted. If necessary, remember to check-in on your recommenders to be sure they are on track to submit their recommendations on time. Be sure to do so at least two weeks prior to the application deadline to ensure that they have time to comply with the deadline, or, if need be, you have time to find new recommenders. Lastly, don’t forget to thank your recommenders! Writing these recommendations takes a lot of work and you may want to use them as a reference again in the future.

Whether it’s researching MBA programs, test-taking, or identifying potential recommenders, remember that the earlier you start the process the less stressed you will be when deadlines approach. As you line up your recommenders, consider sharing Director of Admissions Dawna Clarke’s "Tips for Recommenders" video with them. We hope you and your recommenders find this helpful as you navigate the admissions process!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2015, 10:00
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Techies or Tuckies? The Silicon Valley Boot Camp
By Vijay A. Joshi

Vijay is an incoming T’17. Born in central Pennsylvania, Vijay is making a return to the Northeast after spending the past three years in South Florida. Prior to Tuck, Vijay worked in both supply chain and corporate strategy for Office Depot. Vijay can be reached at vijay.a.joshi.tu17@tuck.dartmouth.edu.

This summer, over 30 incoming T’17s and I, as well as several members of the Career Development Office and the Center for Digital Strategies made our way out to Silicon Valley to explore the various career opportunities and roles that are available to MBA students in technology.  For most of us, the trip served as our first formal Tuck experience, and provided a wonderful opportunity to not only meet incoming classmates, but also network with many alumni in different roles within tech and begin thinking about our careers before the craziness that is the Fall A term.

We kicked off the trip with some drinks and friendly, but competitive games of bocce ball at Campo di Bocce, and the event served as a great ice breaker and informal setting to meet my incoming classmates. My main takeaway from the event (and it was one of the main themes of the week) is to get to know your classmates. On this trip alone, we met investment bankers, consultants, former startup employees, students who worked for nonprofit organizations in Africa, educators, military personnel, and the list goes on. While the trek itself was focused on tech, the amount I learned regarding other job functions and opportunities just through discussions with classmates was just as valuable. You’ll be surprised at just how amazing your classmates truly are.

The week that followed was a whirlwind of activity. We listened to speakers from Nest and Pandora talk about their respective industries and careers, went on a tour of the Google campus, and had lunch with Tuck alumni who worked for Google. We visited Facebook and heard from an ANGEL investor on future trends within tech investing as well as two recruiters from mid-sized startups on what they look for when recruiting MBAs. The tech trek also included discussions with Tuck alums from a mid-sized fintech company focused on lending, Weather Underground and Frog Design, and panel discussions and small group dinners with current (interns) and former students who work in the Valley. Furthermore, companies EnerNOC and New Relic hosted the group and provided insights into the trends within their industries (energy efficiency and app data analytics).

The Silicon Valley Boot Camp was a comprehensive and immersive trip that yielded many takeaways and insights for the upcoming recruiting season and demonstrated why recruiting for technology positions is not like many of the other careers MBAs target. It does not follow a definitive structure, and can be highly unpredictable depending on the size and success of the business. Many of the professionals we spoke to also stressed the importance of networking and maintaining a physical presence in the Valley throughout the year. Moreover, for many early-stage and even mid-size tech startups, while an MBA will help get you a conversation with tech companies, landing the job relies on one’s ability to convey to tech companies how prior experience can be leveraged to help grow the firm as resources are always tight for startups.

For me personally, I made the trip to San Francisco with no true expectation, other than hoping to learn about potential opportunities for MBAs, network with incoming classmates, and to see some of the unique qualities that seem to define the Silicon Valley, and the tech space in general, such as the laid back dress code and creative workspaces. I came away from the trip with an understanding of what product management actually means, the value MBAs can provide to tech firms, how to approach a career focused in tech, and of course, the confirmation that tech offices really are as cool and creative as everyone says.

(Learn more about Tuck's Silicon Valley Boot Camp by reading a recent story from Poets & Quants.)

Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 345 [0], given: 413

GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.58
WE: Analyst (Accounting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2015, 10:44
I am delighted that my open interview got confirmed. :) I am equally delighted that I will be staying on campus! :)

I will be reaching Buchanan Hall on Sep 23rd and will be interviewing on Sep 24th!

Anyone visiting Tuck then? Please do get in touch! :)

Cheers!!

JA
If you like my post, let me know. Give me a kudos! :)

Kudos [?]: 345 [0], given: 413

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2015, 09:00
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Welcoming the Tuck Class of 2017: A Letter from Dean Slaughter
Dear Members of the Tuck Community,

Today is a thrilling day, as it is my honor and pleasure to introduce our newest class of Tuck MBA students. 

Under today’s warm sunshine and blue skies, 286 dynamic, capable, and inspirational T'17s began their Tuck journey together, meeting with their study groups and having the first of many small-group dinners with members of the community.  

The 2017 class is incredibly diverse, accomplished, and poised to achieve great things both throughout their two years here and in the many years beyond.

For the first time in Tuck's history, over 40 percent of the class—42 percent, to be exact—are women. 20 percent of the class come from 

underrepresented groups. 32 percent of the class are citizens of countries outside the United States, representing 23 countries around the globe, and 22 of our students from the United States are dual citizens of another country. 58 percent of the class studied abroad, 50 percent have worked abroad, and over 88 percentspeak a foreign language in some capacity. With such rich global experience even before beginning their time at Tuck, it is clear that the T’17 class will eagerly embrace the new Tuck GO program, designed to ensure that all Tuck students graduate with a global mindset.

Academically and intellectually, the class is strong and prepared to be challenged beyond their limits. Their average GMAT is 717, average GPA is 3.5, and they have worked an average of five years before returning to Tuck. Their average age is 28, with members of the class ranging from 25 to 34.

For all they have done over the past year to bring together such a rich and dynamic class, my appreciation and sincere thanks go to Director of Admissions Dawna Clarke and her terrific admissions team: Pat Harrison, Amy Mitson, Nancy Granada, Kristen Roth, Stephanie Butler, Sudershan Tirumala, Kristine Laca, Belinda Kwiatkowski, Sarah Hein, Angela DeMartin, Heather Schwamb—and to our Director of Financial Aid Diane Bonin and her team Sandy Belisle and Kristy Snow. For assisting in these students’ transition to Tuck and for crafting a dynamic orientation week, let me also thank Assistant Dean for the MBA Program Sally Jaeger and her entire MBAPO team of Betsy Winslow, Dia Draper, Stacie Marshall, Loren Morse, Amanda Boughman, and Barb Crawford.

Please join me in welcoming all 286 new MBA students to Tuck, and in supporting them throughout their journey with us.

Matthew J. Slaughter

The Paul Danos Dean

The Tuck School of Business

Dartmouth College

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2015, 08:00
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: 10th Annual Women In Business Conference: A Great Way to Get to Know Tuck!

By Pat Harrison 

Pat Harrison is senior associate director of admissions, recruiting and enrollment at Tuck. She oversees Tuck’s reading and interviewing process and focuses on the recruitment of women. She has been with Tuck since 2003.

Last Saturday we welcomed a new class of Tuckies to campus with a BBQ outside on a gorgeous New Hampshire evening. The energy of the group was palpable as the new students introduced themselves to each other, starting to develop the bonds for which the Tuck community is famous. One of the particularly exciting things about the new T'17 class is that it is 42 percent women—a new Tuck record!

Recruiting women to Tuck has always been important to the school. Often one of the first ways applicants experience our welcoming culture is through the annual Women in Business Conference. The WIB Conference is a two-day event that brings together prospective applicants, current students, alumnae, faculty and staff to talk about issues of gender and business, and provides opportunities for participants to learn to promote themselves more effectively and confidently.

This year's conference will be held in Hanover from October 16-18. If you are a prospective student, I encourage you to apply to attend (the deadline to apply is September 11). In addition to plentiful opportunities to immerse yourself in the many things that make Tuck distinctive, you’ll also hear from the admissions team, who will provide "insider tips" on the application process. You may also complete an optional admissions interview on Friday and student and faculty panels will help you learn more about life at Tuck—in and out of the classroom. Spending time on campus, staying in the dorms with students, and interacting with members of our community will really give you a taste for what makes Tuck a special place. See for yourself why Tuck's personal scale and supportive and inclusive environment makes it a fantastic place for women to get their MBA.

I hope to see you there!

PHOTO: Small group of participants at the 2014 Women in Business Conference.

Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2018 - Calling All Applicants!   [#permalink] 04 Sep 2015, 08:00

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  41    Next  [ 820 posts ] 

Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2018 - Calling All Applicants!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: mbsingh

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap