Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [222]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619208 [69]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [25]
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3947 [2]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Re: Two dice are tossed once. The probability of getting an even number at [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
+1 D

Great question.
Remember that the "OR formula" is:

P(A) OR P(B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B)

In this case, A and B can take place together, so the value of P(A and B) is greater than 0.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 353 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: Two dice are tossed once. The probability of getting an even number at [#permalink]
Bunuel, could you please explain why the probability of getting 'four' on both dices is 1/36 and not 1/18? Why don't we make a difference between 4 on dice 1 and four on dice ?

I mean why the combination 4'4'' is the same as 4''4' (apostrophe symbolizes the dice: ' = dice number one, '' = dice number two).

I have encountered many probability problems, where events that are identical are differentiated. For example:

Quote:
A 5 meter long wire is cut into two pieces. The longer piece is then used to form a perimeter of a square. What is the probability that the area of the square will be more than 1 if the original wire is cut at an arbitrary point?

1/6
1/5
3/10
1/3
2/5

OA:

In the example above the probability is 2/5.

Could you please explain the difference?

Originally posted by nonameee on 21 Feb 2012, 02:10.
Last edited by nonameee on 21 Feb 2012, 02:24, edited 1 time in total.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619208 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
nonameee wrote:
Bunuel, could you please explain why the probability of getting 'four' on both dices is 1/36 and not 1/18? Why don't we make a difference between 4 on dice 1 and four on dice ?

I mean why the combination 4'4'' is the same as 4''4' (apostrophe symbolizes the dice: ' = dice number one, '' = dice number two).

We can get combination of (2, 6) in two ways: 2 on die A and 6 on die B OR 2 on die B and 6 on die A;

Whereas (4, 4) has only one combination: 4 on on die A and 4 on die B, it has no second combination, since 4 on die B and 4 on die A is exact same combination.

nonameee wrote:
I have encountered many probability problems, where events that are identical are differentiated. For example:

Quote:
A 5 meter long wire is cut into two pieces. The longer piece is then used to form a perimeter of a square. What is the probability that the area of the square will be more than 1 if the original wire is cut at an arbitrary point?

1/6
1/5
3/10
1/3
2/5

OA:

In the example above the probability is 2/5.

Could you please explain the difference?

This is completely different problem. In order the area of a square to be more than 1 the side of it must be more than 1, or the perimeter more than 4. So the longer piece must be more than 4. Look at the diagram.

-----

If the wire will be cut anywhere at the red region then the rest of the wire (longer piece) will be more than 4 meter long. The probability of that is 2/5 (2 red pieces out of 5).

Answer: E.

Also discussed here: a-5-meter-long-wire-is-cut-into-two-pieces-if-the-longer-106448.html

Hope it helps.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619208 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Theory on probability problems: math-probability-87244.html

All DS probability problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=33
All PS probability problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=54

Tough probability questions: hardest-area-questions-probability-and-combinations-101361.html
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
I've done other problems in which the answer would simply come out from

1/2 + (1/2)(5/36)

That is first probability that we get an even number = 1/2
Second probability that we DON'T get an even number * Probability that we get a sum of 8 = (1/2)*(5/36)

Answer should be sum of both

Could someone please clarify why this approach is NOT valid?
Thanks!
Cheers
J :)
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIM
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
It is a very good question - I forgot to subtract the 3 cases in which the second dice will also show an even number - hence marked E, when the answer should be D...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
no calc required

half of the time the first dice will have even no. so prob will be greater than 1/2 as some cases extra when sum is 8.
so A,B,C ruled out

E gives 5 cases for sum 8.
but we know that sum cases will be common with "even condition" so D
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22060 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Macsen wrote:
Two dice are tossed once. The probability of getting an even number at the first die or a total of 8 is

A. 1/36
B. 3/36
C. 11/36
D. 20/36
E. 23/36

When we roll two dice, there are 6 x 6 = 36 equally likely outcomes. From these 36 outcomes, we can get a total of 8 in the following ways:

The probability of each of these outcomes is 1/36, so the probability of getting a total of 8 is 5/36.

The probability of getting an even number on the first die is 1/2.

Recall that the probability of A or B is P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B).

Let’s concentrate on P(A and B), which includes outcomes that have an even first roll AND a total of 8. The probability that the first die is even and the total of the two dice is 8 is 3/36 since (6,2), (2,6), and (4,4) are 3 of the 36 outcomes in which the first die is even and the total is 8.

Thus, the total probability of getting an even number on the first die OR a total of 8 is:

5/36 + 1/2 - 3/36 = 5/36 + 18/36 - 3/36 = 20/36

Answer: D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
We van just list out the possibilites.

So 20/36. 18 cases occur from the first dice being even. The other two cases are 3,5 and 5,3

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 158
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Macsen wrote:
Two dice are tossed once. The probability of getting an even number at the first die or a total of 8 is
A. 1/36
B. 3/36
C. 11/36
D. 20/36
E. 23/36

OR probability:
If Events A and B are independent, the probability that Event A OR Event B occurs is equal to the probability that Event A occurs plus the probability that Event B occurs minus the probability that both Events A and B occur: \(P(A \ or \ B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A \ and \ B)\).

This is basically the same as 2 overlapping sets formula:
{total # of items in groups A or B} = {# of items in group A} + {# of items in group B} - {# of items in A and B}.

Note that if event are mutually exclusive then \(P(A \ and \ B)=0\) and the formula simplifies to: \(P(A \ or \ B) = P(A) + P(B)\).

Also note that when we say "A or B occurs" we include three possibilities:
A occurs and B does not occur;
B occurs and A does not occur;
Both A and B occur.

AND probability:
When two events are independent, the probability of both occurring is the product of the probabilities of the individual events: \(P(A \ and \ B) = P(A)*P(B)\).

This is basically the same as Principle of Multiplication: if one event can occur in \(m\) ways and a second can occur independently of the first in \(n\) ways, then the two events can occur in \(mn\) ways.

BACK TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION:
A. 1/36
B. 3/36
C. 11/36
D. 20/36
E. 23/36

1. The probability of getting an even number at the first die is 1/2 (as the probability of even = the probability of odd = 1/2);
2. The probability of getting a total of 8 is 5/6^2, as there are 5 different favorable scenarios: (2,6), (6,2), (3,5), (5,3) and (4,4);
3. The probability of getting an even number at the first die AND a total of 8 is 3/6^2 (from above case);

Hence, The probability of getting an even number at the first die OR a total of 8 is 1/2+5/36-3/36=20/36.

Answer: D.

Hi Bunuel,

I understood your explanation, but I am confused with the application of the formula i.e. for two Independent events P(A and B) = P(A) x P(B).
If we apply the formula in the above example, we get 1/2 x 5/36 = 5/72 and not 3/36.
Can you please explain if I am missing something?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
GPA: 3.99
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Macsen wrote:

A. 1/36
B. 3/36
C. 11/36
D. 20/36
E. 23/36

total possible outcomes for two dice: 36

Prob of getting an even number on the first die

3/6(first dice favourable case) * 6/6 (second dice favourable cases. =18/36

getting a sum of 8 (2,6)(6,2)(3,5)(5,3)(4,4) (4,4)
probability=6/36

now both of the above cases have some cases common to them
i.e. when the first die has an even number and the sum is also 8
there are 3 cases of this kind (2,6) (6,2) (4,4) (4,4)
prob=4/36

also P(A or B)=P(A) + P(B) - P(A & B)
so we have P(even or sum of 8) = 18/36 + 6/36 - 4/36
20/36
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7628 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
Solution:

For two events A and B,

P(A or B)=P(A) + P(B) - P(A & B)

P(A)=The probability of getting an even number at the first die = 3/6 = 1/2 {2,4,6 are the even numbers}

P(B)=The probability of getting a total of 8 = 5/36 {(2,6)(3,5)(4,4),(5,3),(6,2) with a sample space of 6^2=36}

The probability of getting an even number at the first die AND a total of 8 = 3/36 {(2,6),(4,4),(6,2)}

=>The probability of getting an even number at the first die OR a total of 8 = P(A) + P(B) - P(A & B)

= 1/2+5/36-3/36

=20/36 (option d)

Devmitra Sen
GMAT SME
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 259
Send PM
Two dice are tossed once. The probability of getting an even number at [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
Macsen wrote:
A. 1/36
B. 3/36
C. 11/36
D. 20/36
E. 23/36

OR probability:
If Events A and B are independent, the probability that Event A OR Event B occurs is equal to the probability that Event A occurs plus the probability that Event B occurs minus the probability that both Events A and B occur: \(P(A \ or \ B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A \ and \ B)\).

This is basically the same as 2 overlapping sets formula:
{total # of items in groups A or B} = {# of items in group A} + {# of items in group B} - {# of items in A and B}.

Note that if event are mutually exclusive then \(P(A \ and \ B)=0\) and the formula simplifies to: \(P(A \ or \ B) = P(A) + P(B)\).

Also note that when we say "A or B occurs" we include three possibilities:
A occurs and B does not occur;
B occurs and A does not occur;
Both A and B occur.

AND probability:
When two events are independent, the probability of both occurring is the product of the probabilities of the individual events: \(P(A \ and \ B) = P(A)*P(B)\).

This is basically the same as Principle of Multiplication: if one event can occur in \(m\) ways and a second can occur independently of the first in \(n\) ways, then the two events can occur in \(mn\) ways.

BACK TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION:
A. 1/36
B. 3/36
C. 11/36
D. 20/36
E. 23/36

1. The probability of getting an even number at the first die is 1/2 (as the probability of even = the probability of odd = 1/2);
2. The probability of getting a total of 8 is 5/6^2, as there are 5 different favorable scenarios: (2,6), (6,2), (3,5), (5,3) and (4,4);
3. The probability of getting an even number at the first die AND a total of 8 is 3/6^2 (from above case);

Hence, The probability of getting an even number at the first die OR a total of 8 is 1/2+5/36-3/36=20/36.

Answer: D.

Hello Bunuel,

In your explanation of the ''AND'' probability for the independent events, you mentioned that P (A and B) = P(A) X P(B), however, why this formula is not getting applied in the below question. If I try to apply this formula to find P (A intersection B) = 1/2 X 5/36= 5/72. However, this value obtained is different from the one that we received by manually calculating the number of favourable outcomes (i.e. 3/36)

Can you please explain why this difference in the value?

Regards
Vighnesh
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2094 [1]
Given Kudos: 100
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Two dice are tossed once. The probability of getting an even number at [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Given that Two dice are tossed once and We need to find What is the The probability of getting an even number at the first die or a total of 8?

As we are rolling two dice => Number of cases = \(6^2\) = 36

Getting even number in the first dice

Possible cases for the two rolls _ _ are 3 * 6 = 18 ways
(As First dice can get even number in 3 ways (2, 4, 6) and second dice can get any of the 6 numbers

Getting a Sum of 8

We can get the sum of 8 in the following ways
(2, 6), (3, 5), (4, 4), (5, 3), (6, 6)

But all cases except (3, 5) and (5, 3) are considered above when we took first dice roll as an even number
=> 2 ways

=> Total ways = 18 + 2 = 20 ways

=> Probability of getting an even number at the first die or a total of 8 = \(\frac{20}{36}\)

So, Answer will be D
Hope it helps!

Watch the following video to learn How to Solve Dice Rolling Probability Problems

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92947 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts