Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32880 [68]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [15]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [6]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [3]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: Two divergent definitions have dominated sociologists' discussions of [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
teaserbae wrote:
AjiteshArun carcass
In Q1 E is wrong both the definition are compatible to some extent. am I correct ?
In Q4 I ended up choosing C though I can clearly see D is correct now. but I don't understand how C is wrong or a trap ?
1. Possibly. The passage mentions that both approaches are "divergent" and "different", but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are completely incompatible. I'd remove option E because: (a) the other two approaches are not particular important, and should not form most of the answer to a primary purpose question and (b) the author does not say that the other two approaches should be replaced (the author actually calls both of them "useful").

4. Option C says:

In the 1960's leaders of the Mexican American community concentrated their efforts on promoting a renaissance of ethnic history and culture.

This is the part of the passage that we are interested in:

In the 1960's, Mexican Americans formed community-based political groups that emphasized ancestral heritage as a way of mobilizing constituents. Such emerging issues as immigration and voting rights gave Mexican American advocacy groups the means by which to promote ethnic solidarity. Like European ethnic groups in the nineteenth-century United States, late-twentieth-century Mexican American leaders combined ethnic with contemporary civic symbols.

From this we can see three important things: (a) Mexican Americans (in general, as there is no mention of leaders) emphasized ancestral heritage as a way to mobilize constituents, (b) there is no support for the word renaissance, and (c) the only mention of Mexican-American leaders is towards the end (they "combined ethnic with contemporary civic symbols").
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Two divergent definitions have dominated sociologists' discussions of [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
shivangijaiswal wrote:
MikeScarn wrote:
6. Information in the passage supports which of the following statements about many European ethnic groups in the nineteenth-century United States?

The below statement from the passage is all we need to answer this question:

carcass wrote:
"Like European ethnic groups in the nineteenth-century United States, late-twentieth-century Mexican American leaders combined ethnic with contemporary civic symbols. And every year, Mexican Americans celebrate Cinco de Mayo as fervently as many Irish American people embrace St. Patrick's Day (both are major holidays in the countries of origin), with both holidays having been reinvented in the context of the United States and linked to ideals, symbols, and heroes of the United States."

color=#0000ff They created cultural traditions that fused United States symbols with those of their countries of origin.

They didn't "create" cultural traditions! I was about to choose this answer, but I thought it was a trap because of the word create. In the passage, in the parenthesis, it clearly says that these holidays were "reinvented." So I thought this was a trap answer.

GMATNinja SajjadAhmad Am I overthinking this? Am I bringing my critical reasoning brain into RC and reading too critically?

color=#ff0000 They organized formal community groups designed to promote a renaissance of ethnic history and culture.

­I ended up rejecting choice C because of the same reason. The word "created" seemed to be the wrong answer choice. I am not sure why this answer choice is correct as they did not "create" any cultural traditions..

The US-infused St. Patrick's Day didn't exist before Irish Americans made it. So, while the holiday itself exists in Ireland, new traditions were created to link the holiday to the to ideals, symbols, and heroes of the United States.

No tricks here -- even if the origins of such holidays existed already, European ethnic groups in the nineteenth-century United States created a new way of celebrating those holidays in the American context.

Similarly, I might build off of the tradition of the birthday cake by building myself a birthday-cake fort and eating my way out of it every year on my birthday. Sure, I have built off of a tradition that already existed, but I have also created my own tradition.   :-P

I hope that helps!­
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
AjiteshArun carcass
In Q1 E is wrong both the definition are compatible to some extent. am I correct ?
In Q4 I ended up choosing C though I can clearly see D is correct now. but I don't understand how C is wrong or a trap ?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1162 [0]
Given Kudos: 228
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.62
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
6. Information in the passage supports which of the following statements about many European ethnic groups in the nineteenth-century United States?

carcass wrote:
"Like European ethnic groups in the nineteenth-century United States, late-twentieth-century Mexican American leaders combined ethnic with contemporary civic symbols. And every year, Mexican Americans celebrate Cinco de Mayo as fervently as many Irish American people embrace St. Patrick's Day (both are major holidays in the countries of origin), with both holidays having been reinvented in the context of the United States and linked to ideals, symbols, and heroes of the United States."

(C) They created cultural traditions that fused United States symbols with those of their countries of origin.

They didn't "create" cultural traditions! I was about to choose this answer, but I thought it was a trap because of the word create. In the passage, in the parenthesis, it clearly says that these holidays were "reinvented." So I thought this was a trap answer.

GMATNinja SajjadAhmad Am I overthinking this? Am I bringing my critical reasoning brain into RC and reading too critically?

(E) They organized formal community groups designed to promote a renaissance of ethnic history and culture.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1162 [0]
Given Kudos: 228
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.62
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
(1) Which of the following best states the main idea of the passage?

(A) In their definitions of the nature of ethnicity, sociologists have underestimated the power of the primordial human need to belong.

(B) Ethnicity is best defined as a dynamic process that combines cultural components with shared political and economic interests.

I missed this question because for some reason I always miss Primary Purpose questions :) I thought "best defined" was pretty strong language. I think (B) could reasonably be implied, but "best defined" was a little too certain for my liking, so I eliminated it.

(C) In the United States in the twentieth century, ethnic groups have begun to organize in order to further their political and economic interests.

carcass SajjadAhmad GMATNinja Quick question for you guys, can we eliminate (C) purely on the verb tense of "have begun"? Since we are talking about the past, shouldn't this just be "began"?

(D) Ethnicity in the United States has been significantly changed by the Civil Rights movement.

(E) The two definitions of ethnicity that have dominated sociologists' discussions are incompatible and should be replaced by an entirely new approach.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Can someone please explain how B is the right answer for Q3?
The ending line of first paragraph says "Rather, ethnicity is more satisfactorily conceived of as a process in which preexisting communal bonds and common cultural attributes are adapted for instrumental purposes according to changing real-life situations."

What I infer from this line is that author tries define ethinicity as a process in which communal bonds and common cultural bonds are adapted to meet a purpose which can help meeting some need or solve a real life problem for that ethinic group.

And then in second paragraph author goes on and provides the example of the same.
Thus, as per above inference A should be the correct answer.

For me, B is a clear elimination from every perspective. Please explain how B is infered from the passage.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
MikeScarn wrote:

carcass wrote:

(C) They created cultural traditions that fused United States symbols with those of their countries of origin.

(E) They organized formal community groups designed to promote a renaissance of ethnic history and culture.

­I ended up rejecting choice C because of the same reason. The word "created" seemed to be the wrong answer choice. I am not sure why this answer choice is correct as they did not "create" any cultural traditions..
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts