Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [4]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GPA: 3.08
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [3]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Status:I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions
Own Kudos [?]: 274 [1]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.92
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Under normal conditions, a single AA NiCd battery will power [#permalink]
the operating time of 60 days is logical but 45days not .

Option A identifies a weak point . chemicals used can affect the life time of the tool . so 45 days operating time is okay .

my answer is A .

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
Send PM
OE seems to be wrong to to me.
A does not weaken the conclusion. Can anyone please tell the source of this question
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
The chemicals used in certain medical treatments can affect the operation of a smoke detector -
If it effect the operation of smoke detector it will disturb the operation whether it has new battery, 45 days old battery or 60 days or more.Than this will not help in decreasing environmental damage and illogical or logical time limit of replacement of battery because batteries in good shape or bad shape can be their in smoke detector- DESTROY THE ARGUMENT AND CONCLUSION.

B is not right because - it is mention in the argument that battery removed before 45 days is illogical and might damage the environment. option b. states the life of battery is more than 60 days - so lets assume if hospital will remove the batteries on 6Oth day than also they may or may not face the same consequences which they would have faced on removing on 45th day.
So option B doesn't necessarily most weaken the argument ( 45- 60 = 15 DAYS VARIANCE AND 60 DAYS - SOME MORE DAYS THAN 60 DAYS = SOME VARIANCE SO BATTER MAY OR MAY NOT WORK )
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Hi Experts / chetan2u / @mikecmcgarry / daagh,

I can't understand how could the answer be A. Infact I did not find any option which can actually weaken the argument.

Argument debrief-
A battery can power a smoke detector for 60 days but hospitals replace these batteries in 45 days.
Conclusion- The current replacement schedule could safely be extended to 60 days thereby decreasing the number of environment-damaging batteries requiring disposal.

To weaken the argument we need to find an option from which we can prove that if the hospitals replace the batteries in 60 days it will damage environment more.
But, none options seems correct

Can you please correct what wrong in my reasoning.
Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
PrakharGMAT wrote:
Hi Experts / chetan2u / @mikecmcgarry / daagh,

I can't understand how could the answer be A. Infact I did not find any option which can actually weaken the argument.

Argument debrief-
A battery can power a smoke detector for 60 days but hospitals replace these batteries in 45 days.
Conclusion- The current replacement schedule could safely be extended to 60 days thereby decreasing the number of environment-damaging batteries requiring disposal.

To weaken the argument we need to find an option from which we can prove that if the hospitals replace the batteries in 60 days it will damage environment more.
But, none options seems correct

Can you please correct what wrong in my reasoning.
Thanks

Hi Prakhar,

My take on the problem, correct if you find some flaw.

Under normal conditions the battery powers the smoke detectors for 60 days.

Conclusion:The current replacement schedule could safely be extended to 60 days thereby decreasing the number of environment-damaging batteries requiring disposal.

To weaken the argument we need to prethink of a situation wherein the 60 days has to be reduced to 45 as per the regulations thus increasing the number of environment-damaging batteries requiring disposal.

Now say there is some Abnormal condition, something with the smoke detectors which increase its power consumption.

A. The chemicals used in certain medical treatments can affect the operation of a smoke detector- What if there is some treatment which affects the detectors operation and thus increases power consumption.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Under normal conditions, a single AA NiCd battery will power a smoke detector for a minimum of 60 days. The current county regulation requiring all hospitals to replace the AA NiCd batteries in their smoke detectors every 45 days is both illogical and unduly harms the environment. The current replacement schedule could safely be extended to 60 days thereby decreasing the number of environment-damaging batteries requiring disposal.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the above conclusion ?

Conclusion : The current replacement schedule could safely be extended to 60 days, leading to decrease in the number of environment-damaging batteries requiring disposal.

Assumption : smoke detectors are fault free and it can be operational for 60 days with AA NiCd batteries.

Falsification Condition : any instance that cites a factor that there is gonna be problem with smoke detectors will be a weakener.

A. The chemicals used in certain medical treatments can affect the operation of a smoke detector - correct
B.Smoke detectors can normally operate on a single AA NiCd battery for longer than 60 days. - assumption
C.The county's hospital administrations would prefer to replace smoke detector batteries on a rotating schedule rather than in a single batch.- no impact.
D.The results of a recent poll indicate that over half of the county's hospital administrators supported a change to the current replacement schedule.- strengthen
E.Most homeowners replace their smoke detector batteries only four times per year.--OFS
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Conclusion : The current replacement schedule could safely be extended to 60 days.
Premise : a single battery can light up a detector for 60 days under normal conditions.
Premise : Hospitals do replacement for every 45 days.

Assumption : The hospitals provide normal conditions for the battery to work for 60 days.

option A says - The hospital conditions will affect the working of detector. This destroys the assumption.

Answer is A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 141
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Under normal conditions, a single AA NiCd battery will power a smoke detector for a minimum of 60 days. The current county regulation requiring all hospitals to replace the AA NiCd batteries in their smoke detectors every 45 days is both illogical and unduly harms the environment. The current replacement schedule could safely be extended to 60 days thereby decreasing the number of environment-damaging batteries requiring disposal.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the above conclusion ?

A. The chemicals used in certain medical treatments can affect the operation of a smoke detector
B.Smoke detectors can normally operate on a single AA NiCd battery for longer than 60 days.
C.The county's hospital administrations would prefer to replace smoke detector batteries on a rotating schedule rather than in a single batch.
D.The results of a recent poll indicate that over half of the county's hospital administrators supported a change to the current replacement schedule.
E.Most homeowners replace their smoke detector batteries only four times per year

Answer : option A
can anyone explain how does option A weakens the argument ?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 485 [0]
Given Kudos: 839
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM

A. The chemicals used in certain medical treatments can affect the operation of a smoke detector. (this is the OA, as the chemicals affect the operation of the detector, which could lead to the battery getting depleted faster.)

B.Smoke detectors can normally operate on a single AA NiCd battery for longer than 60 days. (Rejected, as this has already been stated in the argument)

C.The county's hospital administrations would prefer to replace smoke detector batteries on a rotating schedule rather than in a single batch. (I rejected this statement as this does not have any impact.)

D.The results of a recent poll indicate that over half of the county's hospital administrators supported a change to the current replacement schedule. (Strengthens)

E.Most homeowners replace their smoke detector batteries only four times per year. (Irrelevant, we are talking about hospitals and not homes.)

The OA is A.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts