Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:42 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [10]
Given Kudos: 418
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28574 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Unlike its fellow Baltic nations, Latvia and Lithuania, the economy of [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Unlike X, Y where X and Y must be ||. Hence, option A, C and D are out.

Economically means cheaply. Hence, B is out.

Economic means something related to monetary.

A. its fellow Baltic nations, Latvia and Lithuania, the economy of Estonia grew at an astonishing rate in the late 1990s, and at the end of the decade it was placed -> Nation is compared to economy. Hence, out.

B. its fellow Baltic nations, Latvia and Lithuania, Estonia grew at an astonishing rate economically in the late 1990s, and at the end of the decade earned itself a place --> Rate grew cheaply?? lol.

C. its fellow Baltic nations, Latvia and Lithuania, Estonia’s economy grew at an astonishing rate in the late 1990s, and at the end of the decade they were placed --> Same as A.

D. Latvia and Lithuania, its fellow Baltic nations, the economy of Estonia grew at an astonishing rate in the late 1990s, and at the end of the decade it was placed -->Same as A.

E. its fellow Baltic nations, Latvia and Lithuania, Estonia experienced economic growth at an astonishing rate in the late 1990s, and at the end of the decade it earned a place
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [1]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Unlike its fellow Baltic nations, Latvia and Lithuania, the economy of [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Unlike its fellow Baltic nations, Latvia and Lithuania, the economy of Estonia grew at an astonishing rate in the late 1990s, and at the end of the decade it was placed on the fast track to join the European union.

A. its fellow Baltic nations, Latvia and Lithuania, the economy of Estonia grew at an astonishing rate in the late 1990s, and at the end of the decade it was placed

B. its fellow Baltic nations, Latvia and Lithuania, Estonia grew at an astonishing rate economically in the late 1990s, and at the end of the decade earned itself a place

C. its fellow Baltic nations, Latvia and Lithuania, Estonia's economy grew at an astonishing rate in the late 1990s, and at the end of the decade they were placed

D. Latvia and Lithuania, its fellow Baltic nations, the economy of Estonia grew at an astonishing rate in the late 1990s, and at the end of the decade it was placed

E. Latvia and Lithuania, its fellow Baltic nations, Estonia experienced an economy that grew at an astonishing rate in the late 1990s, and at the end of the decade it earned a place

E has pronoun "it", but E is correct. Adverb "economically" in B is misplaced.

Originally posted by chesstitans on 15 Dec 2017, 15:48.
Last edited by chesstitans on 16 Dec 2017, 03:05, edited 2 times in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Re: Unlike its fellow Baltic nations, Latvia and Lithuania, the economy of [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:
chesstitans wrote:
Unlike its fellow Baltic nations, Latvia and Lithuania, the economy of Estonia grew at an astonishing rate in the late 1990s, and at the end of the decade it was placed on the fast track to join the European union.

A. its fellow Baltic nations, Latvia and Lithuania, the economy of Estonia grew at an astonishing rate in the late 1990s, and at the end of the decade it was placed

B. its fellow Baltic nations, Latvia and Lithuania, Estonia's economy grew at an astonishing rate in the late 1990s, and at the end of the decade was placed on the fast track to join

C. its fellow Baltic nations, Latvia and Lithuania, Estonia's economy grew at an astonishing rate in the late 1990s, and at the end of the decade they were placed on the fast track to join

D. Latvia and Lithuania, its fellow Baltic nations, the economy of Estonia grew at an astonishing rate in the late 1990s, and at the end of the decade was placed on the fast track to join

E. Latvia and Lithuania, its fellow Baltic nations, Estonia possessed an economy that grew at an astonishing rate in the late 1990s, and at the end of the decade the country was placed on the fast track to join

E has pronoun "it", but E is correct. Adverb "economically" in C is misplaced.

Dear chesstitans,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

First, my friend, I am going to chide you.
(1) When you post an SC question, always always always underline the relevant portion!!
(2) Especially when you don't underline, having "same as above" for (A) is monumentally unclear, since it's not clear how much was underlined!!

This SC question is not too challenging. It's basically a one-trick pony.

(A) illogical comparison (country to economy)
(B) illogical comparison (country to economy)
(C) illogical comparison (country to economy)
(D) illogical comparison (country to economy)
(E) logically sound comparison

The pronoun "it" in (E) is perfectly fine. It refers to the subject, "Estonia."

I'm not impressed with this question. Here's a high quality SC practice question:
California Republic

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

oh, I did the SC question that you mentioned in June. A is the correct answer. It took me 2.5 min.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Re: Unlike its fellow Baltic nations, Latvia and Lithuania, the economy of [#permalink]
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Are there different versions of this question? In chesstitan's original post, answer B uses the phrase "Estonia grew", but in mikemcgarry's quoted block, it uses the phrase "Estonia's economy".

Mike, could you also help me understand how the use of the pronoun "it" in answer E is acceptable? Logically "it" should refer to Estonia, but grammatically, can't it also refer to "economic growth"? Is it a rule that a pronoun always refers to the subject and not an object?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM

KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Step 1: Read the Original Sentence Carefully, Looking for Errors
“Unlike” signals that this sentence will contain a comparison, so we’ll need to check whether that
comparison is logical. In this sentence, it is not: Latvia and Lithuania are being compared to Estonia’s
economy. Countries can only be compared to other countries, not to economies. The correct answer
will fix this illogical comparison.

Step 2: Scan and Group the Answer Choices
(A) and (D) compare Latvia and Lithuania to “the economy of Estonia.” (C) compares Latvia and
Lithuania to “Estonia’s economy.” (B) and (E) compare Latvia and Lithuania to “Estonia.”

Step 3: Eliminate Choices Until Only One Remains
(A), (C), and (D) all commit the error of comparing a country to a country’s economy, so all are
incorrect. (B) correctly compares Latvia and Lithuania to Estonia, but it unnecessarily employs a
reflexive pronoun, “itself,” and its use of the word “economically” sounds rather awkward. (E) also
correctly compares Latvia and Lithuania to Estonia, this time without resorting to unnecessary or
awkward constructions. Choice (E) is the correct answer.

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts