Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:27 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1122 [34]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31969 [0]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1122 [2]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Re: Unveiling a paper robot that can autonomously fold to transform itself [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Here is my take:
A) Incorrect usage of because of - because of modifies action verbs.
B) entailed is an ed-modifier- ed modifiers show that the action was done on the subject. It is trying to refer to advantages, and is completely illogical.
C) Wrong usage of because of- needs to modify action verb and not nouns
D) accessing vs accessibility- accessibility is a noun, so much better as before and, we have affordable price. Also from does not clearly show the meaning. Also, incorrect usage of "these".
E) CORRECT USAGE OF DUE TO, which can modify nouns. Hence correct
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 794
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.15
Send PM
Re: Unveiling a paper robot that can autonomously fold to transform itself [#permalink]
In option C, the use of 'and also' is redundant.
The right answer, therefore, should be E.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [0]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
I need help here.
I crossed off E because of "them". Them could refer to researchers or advantages.
Would anyone elaborate where I was wrong?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 228
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
bkpolymers1617 wrote:
Unveiling a paper android that can autonomously fold to transform itself into a functioning machine, researchers enumerated the various advantages of the device, which entail its affordable price and its easy accessing to difficult places because of its self-assembling feature.  

A)which entail its affordable price and its easy accessing to difficult places because of  

B)entailed among them its affordable price and its easy accessing to difficult places from  

C)entailing among these its affordable price and also its easy accessibility to difficult places because of  

D)chief among these its affordable price and its  easy accessing to difficult places from    

E)chief among them its affordable price and its easy accessibility to difficult places due to 

Hi...

The main point here is to see how the underlined portion should be connected to the initial part.
1) which modifies preceding NOUN .... Wrong
2) verb-ed and verb-ing modifiers also MODIFY earlier noun or the initial portion ..... wrong
3) what is the INTENDED use - to give further details, examples AND for this nuon Modifier is correct so D or E
E gives correct meaning through use of "due to"..

E

chetan2u
I have doubt in E.
here due to modifies accessibility or places?
due to modifies noun so should modify nearest one places but places are not due to self assembling features.
If i read it using caused by,accessibilty caused by self assembling features.Then it makes sense.Can u please elaborate on this.

ALso in option d,what is accessing?
is it verb or modifier?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 228
Send PM
Diwakar003 wrote:
vanam52923 wrote:
I have doubt in E.
here due to modifies accessibility or places?
due to modifies noun so should modify nearest one places but places are not due to self assembling features.
If i read it using caused by,accessibilty caused by self assembling features.Then it makes sense.Can u please elaborate on this.

ALso in option d,what is accessing?
is it verb or modifier?

Hey vanam52923,

My take is this: 'due to' is modifying the noun clause 'easy accessibility to different places'. The sentence should be read as below:

chief among them its affordable price and its easy accessibility to difficult places due to/caused by

In D, the usage of 'accessing' is wrong but I'm not sure what part of speech is 'accessing'.

Cheers!

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
bkpolymers1617 wrote:
Unveiling a paper android that can autonomously fold to transform itself into a functioning machine, researchers enumerated the various advantages of the device, which entail its affordable price and its easy accessing to difficult places because of its self-assembling feature.  

A)which entail its affordable price and its easy accessing to difficult places because of  

B)entailed among them its affordable price and its easy accessing to difficult places from  

C)entailing among these its affordable price and also its easy accessibility to difficult places because of  

D)chief among these its affordable price and its  easy accessing to difficult places from    

E)chief among them its affordable price and its easy accessibility to difficult places due to 

Hi...

The main point here is to see how the underlined portion should be connected to the initial part.
2) verb-ed and verb-ing modifiers also MODIFY earlier noun or the initial portion ..... wrong
3) what is the INTENDED use - to give further details, examples AND for this nuon Modifier is correct so D or E

E

I'd love to know more about the DUE TO usage here. DUE TO is a substitute for caused by. its accessibility is caused by its self-assembling feature? That doesn't make much sense to me. chetan2u
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 445
Schools: IIM (II)
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
Unveiling a paper robot that can autonomously fold to transform itself [#permalink]
Hello egmat,
Here I have a doubt in the use of "due to" in correct answer (option E). Could you please explain the case here.

Thanks,
Tamal

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
tamal99 wrote:
Hello egmat,
Here I have a doubt in the use of "due to" in correct answer (option E). Could you please explain the case here.

Thanks,
Tamal

Hi tamal

Due to is used when u need to address the noun, due to can be replaced by caused by and it should make sense

Here due to is used to address the feature addressed as noun phrase .moreover, you can replace due to by caused by..it still makes sense

Hence correct
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
kchen1994 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
bkpolymers1617 wrote:

Hi...

E

I'd love to know more about the DUE TO usage here. DUE TO is a substitute for caused by. its accessibility is caused by its self-assembling feature? That doesn't make much sense to me. chetan2u

Due to is used to address noun or noun phrase...
Here in option E , due to correctly modifies the noun phrase "it's self...." A noun phrase

Hence usage is correct

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts