GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jan 2019, 18:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

January 19, 2019

January 19, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

January 20, 2019

January 20, 2019

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

Unveiling a paper robot that can autonomously fold to transform itself

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Unveiling a paper robot that can autonomously fold to transform itself  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 05:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (01:12) correct 49% (01:24) wrong based on 397 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Unveiling a paper android that can autonomously fold to transform itself into a functioning machine, researchers enumerated the various advantages of the device, which entail its affordable price and its easy accessing to difficult places because of its self-assembling feature.  

A)which entail its affordable price and its easy accessing to difficult places because of  

B)entailed among them its affordable price and its easy accessing to difficult places from  

C)entailing among these its affordable price and also its easy accessibility to difficult places because of  

D)chief among these its affordable price and its  easy accessing to difficult places from    

E)chief among them its affordable price and its easy accessibility to difficult places due to 

we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender!

Math Expert
V
Re: Unveiling a paper robot that can autonomously fold to transform itself  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 06:11
bkpolymers1617 wrote:
Unveiling a paper android that can autonomously fold to transform itself into a functioning machine, researchers enumerated the various advantages of the device, which entail its affordable price and its easy accessing to difficult places because of its self-assembling feature.  

A)which entail its affordable price and its easy accessing to difficult places because of  

B)entailed among them its affordable price and its easy accessing to difficult places from  

C)entailing among these its affordable price and also its easy accessibility to difficult places because of  

D)chief among these its affordable price and its  easy accessing to difficult places from    

E)chief among them its affordable price and its easy accessibility to difficult places due to 

Hi...

The main point here is to see how the underlined portion should be connected to the initial part.
1) which modifies preceding NOUN .... Wrong
2) verb-ed and verb-ing modifiers also MODIFY earlier noun or the initial portion ..... wrong
3) what is the INTENDED use - to give further details, examples AND for this nuon Modifier is correct so D or E
E gives correct meaning through use of "due to"..

E

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Unveiling a paper robot that can autonomously fold to transform itself  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 06:21
Here is my take:
A) Incorrect usage of because of - because of modifies action verbs.
B) entailed is an ed-modifier- ed modifiers show that the action was done on the subject. It is trying to refer to advantages, and is completely illogical.
C) Wrong usage of because of- needs to modify action verb and not nouns
D) accessing vs accessibility- accessibility is a noun, so much better as before and, we have affordable price. Also from does not clearly show the meaning. Also, incorrect usage of "these".
E) CORRECT USAGE OF DUE TO, which can modify nouns. Hence correct

we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender!

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.15
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 02:04
In option C, the use of 'and also' is redundant.
The right answer, therefore, should be E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 16:37
I need help here.
I crossed off E because of "them". Them could refer to researchers or advantages.
Would anyone elaborate where I was wrong?
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 19:38
chetan2u wrote:
bkpolymers1617 wrote:

Hi...

The main point here is to see how the underlined portion should be connected to the initial part.
2) verb-ed and verb-ing modifiers also MODIFY earlier noun or the initial portion ..... wrong
3) what is the INTENDED use - to give further details, examples AND for this nuon Modifier is correct so D or E

E

chetan2u
I have doubt in E.
here due to modifies accessibility or places?
due to modifies noun so should modify nearest one places but places are not due to self assembling features.
If i read it using caused by,accessibilty caused by self assembling features.Then it makes sense.Can u please elaborate on this.

ALso in option d,what is accessing?
is it verb or modifier?
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 21:30
vanam52923 wrote:
I have doubt in E.
due to modifies noun so should modify nearest one places but places are not due to self assembling features.
If i read it using caused by,accessibilty caused by self assembling features.Then it makes sense.Can u please elaborate on this.

is it verb or modifier?

Hey vanam52923,

My take is this: 'due to' is modifying the noun clause 'easy accessibility to different places'. The sentence should be read as below:

chief among them its affordable price and its easy accessibility to difficult places due to/caused by

In D, the usage of 'accessing' is wrong but I'm not sure what part of speech is 'accessing'.

Cheers!
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 21:35
Diwakar003 wrote:
vanam52923 wrote:
I have doubt in E.

is it verb or modifier?

Hey vanam52923,

My take is this: 'due to' is modifying the noun clause 'easy accessibility to different places'. The sentence should be read as below:

chief among them its affordable price and its easy accessibility to difficult places due to/caused by

In D, the usage of 'accessing' is wrong but I'm not sure what part of speech is 'accessing'.

Cheers!

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2019, 16:31
chetan2u wrote:
bkpolymers1617 wrote:

Hi...

E

I'd love to know more about the DUE TO usage here. DUE TO is a substitute for caused by. its accessibility is caused by its self-assembling feature? That doesn't make much sense to me. chetan2u
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests
Unveiling a paper robot that can autonomously fold to transform itself  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2019, 00:25
Hello egmat,
Here I have a doubt in the use of "due to" in correct answer (option E). Could you please explain the case here.

Thanks,
Tamal

Posted from my mobile device

kudos please if it helped you.

Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2019, 00:39
tamal99 wrote:
Hello egmat,
Here I have a doubt in the use of "due to" in correct answer (option E). Could you please explain the case here.

Thanks,
Tamal

Hi tamal

Due to is used when u need to address the noun, due to can be replaced by caused by and it should make sense

Here due to is used to address the feature addressed as noun phrase .moreover, you can replace due to by caused by..it still makes sense

Hence correct

"Press +1 KUDOS"

Be very critical of my Post
Ask as many questions of my post possible

Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2019, 00:41
kchen1994 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
bkpolymers1617 wrote:

Hi...

E

I'd love to know more about the DUE TO usage here. DUE TO is a substitute for caused by. its accessibility is caused by its self-assembling feature? That doesn't make much sense to me. chetan2u

Due to is used to address noun or noun phrase...
Here in option E , due to correctly modifies the noun phrase "it's self...." A noun phrase

Hence usage is correct

"Press +1 KUDOS"

Be very critical of my Post
Ask as many questions of my post possible

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Unveiling a paper robot that can autonomously fold to transform itself &nbs [#permalink] 04 Jan 2019, 00:41

Unveiling a paper robot that can autonomously fold to transform itself

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap