Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 20:16 It is currently 13 May 2024, 20:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 623532 [10]
Given Kudos: 81851
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [2]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Other, Entrepreneurship
Schools: IIMA (D)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
Re: V06-04 [#permalink]
Kudos
It's so sad that I was right. It's so demoralizing that the GMAT author continuously puts down a female without any justified reason.

(Yes, I'm referring to this question that GMATClub created:

In order to find out the effect of computer gaming on 'cognitive flexibility' – ability to switch between tasks – researchers recruited two groups having equal number of volunteers. One group played a real-time strategy game, which requires frequent decision making and high level of organising skills, while the other a life-simulation game, which does not require much memory or many tactics. The two groups played their respective games for at least forty hours over six weeks. Each of the following may be important to know before arriving at a conclusion regarding the influence of playing computer games on cognitive flexibility except)

So far, 3 questions in total that purely puts down female, solely on their gender.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 623532 [1]
Given Kudos: 81851
Send PM
Re V06-04 [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Official Solution:

Men have an easy time deciding how to dress on Casual Fridays because all they have to do is choose khakis over dress slacks and leave off the tie they would wear during the week. Women, on the other hand, have a much more difficult time determining what is casual but not too casual. Casual Friday should, therefore, be cancelled because it presents more difficulties for women than for men.

Which of the following is most like the argument above in logical structure?

A. Women on a road construction crew are frequently assigned non-labor intensive jobs such as holding traffic signs. This is sexual discrimination and should be stopped.
B. Members of a country club are given first choice of tee times on the golf course. Members of the public who would like to play the course should also be given this treatment.
C. Users of an open-source software program wishing to access to online technical support must submit personal information in order to register. Access to technical support should not require registration, as this is unfair to users wishing to remain anonymous.
D. Full-time employees spend more hours in the office than part-time employees and have greater access to the sign-up sheet for Christmas vacation time. Because this is unfair, no employees will be given extra vacation time during Christmas.
E. A university charges twice as much for out-of-state tuition as it does for in-state tuition. This is unfair to out-of-state students, who should be allowed to pay the in-state tuition rate.

Situation: Women have a more difficult time than men judging what dress is appropriate for Casual Fridays. Casual Fridays should, therefore, be discontinued.

Reasoning: Which is most like the argument in logical structure? The passage compares the ease with which men and women, all of whom are part of the same group of employees of the business, can determine what dress is appropriate for Casual Fridays. The passage argues that women have more decisions to make than men, and that this fact makes Casual Friday, usually considered an employee benefit, unfair to women. The solution suggested in the passage is that Casual Friday should be cancelled – a decision that affects all the employees in the office – so that one group will not be presented with difficulties another group does not face.

A. This option does not involve the loss of a benefit for all employees.

B. Country club members, unlike employees at the business in the example, have paid for their membership in the club. Although non-members are excluded from the club, this option does not involve the loss of a benefit for two groups on equal membership footing.

C. Technical support is optional and people who want to remain anonymous can forego both the support and the sharing of their personal information. Because this option does not involve the loss of a benefit for registered and non-registered users alike, it is not similar to the passage in logical structure.

D. CORRECT. This item is most similar to the passage in logical structure. In this situation, both full-time and part-time employees are equally involved in the office, and both groups likely want extra vacation time at Christmas. The loss of extra vacation time affects full- and part-time employees alike.

E. Out-of-state students also choose to attend the university in question; this option does not involve the loss of a benefit to students of equal standing.

Answer: D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I absolutely share sahilmalhotra01 consideration about choice D. Please explain. Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
I agree with the concerns raised about option D, it should be modified, because women and men at work in the passage are assumed to be equal. But option D compares people who spend different time at work, so why should they get equal benefits?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
pantera07 wrote:
D cannot be correct. For parallel reasoning, as per CR Bible, 'will' in option D is not parallel to 'should' in the passage.
In short the passage merely suggests cancellation, whereas Option D uses 'will', which is extreme.
Any thoughts?

I did not select D for the same reason. Can some one please explain this?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation. Both Situations,the question & the option D have a similar structure wrt to CHOICE of the persons considered. Both sets give the freedom of Choice to persons ,of whether to work full or half time or to dress as they like.
Also, the Situation is not structurally unfair as in other options & is dependent on person.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 828 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
93243 posts