Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 15:09 It is currently 13 May 2024, 15:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 623492 [67]
Given Kudos: 81851
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 623492 [8]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.7
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73172 [6]
Given Kudos: 18949
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: V11-07 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
pcnemesis wrote:
Is ''grow to be 5mm" correct usage?

Good question. It does not sound natural to me either... does not mean it is wrong, just not natural.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 623492 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
The question or/and solution has been revised and edited. Thank you sayantanc2k !!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Schools: HBS '25
Send PM
Can someone please clarify if "grow up to" and "grow to be" have different meanings?
I think the former implies the maximum height attainable whereas the latter implies a possibility.
In my opinion, C is the correct answer. As it does not change the intent of the phrase in the original sentence.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
i dont understand this conclusion

"The above sentence implies that a boomslang may grow more than 160 cms"

When the previous sentence clearly stated that "A boomslang does not grow more than 160 cm"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
V11-07 [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Boomslangs, weighing rarely more than 500 gm or growing more than 160 cm, but with 3 large grooved fangs that can grow up to 5 mm long, are oviparous, and produce up to 30 eggs which are deposited in hollow tree trunks or rotting logs.

A. Boomslangs, weighing rarely more than 500 gm or growing more than 160 cm, but with 3 large grooved fangs that can grow up to 5 mm long,
B. Boomslangs, rarely more than 500 gm in weight or more than 160 cm in length, but with 3 large grooved fangs, growing up to 5 mm,
C. Boomslangs, rarely weighing more than 500 gm and growing more than 160 cm, but having 3 large grooved fangs that can grow up to 5 mm long,
D. Boomslangs, weighing rarely more than 500 gm and growing more than 160 cm, but having 3 large grooved fangs that can grow to be 5 mm,
E. Boomslangs, rarely more than 500 gm in weight or more than 160 cm in length, but with 3 large grooved fangs that can grow to be 5 mm,

Concept 1: “and” vs or”:

There are two characteristics that are rarely seen in Boomslangs:

I. weigh more than 500 gm

II. more than 160 cm

For the sake of explanation, one way of looking at the problem is to consider that “rarely” conveys a negative sense ( not commonly seen). Thus the following are intended to be conveyed:

I. A boomslang does not (commonly) weigh more than 500 grams.

II. A boomslang does not (commonly) grow more than 160 cm.

If we want to join the above sentences we must join with OR. Joining with "AND" conveys a different (illogical) meaning than intended:

A boomslang does not (comonly) weigh more than 500 grams and does not grow more than 160 cm.

The above sentence implies that a boomslang may grow more than 160 cms, but then it would weigh less than 500 gm. On the other hand it may weigh more than 500 gms, but then it would then be less than 160 cm long. Logically we can see that this statement is absurd - it is common knowledge that longer an item, more would be the weight.

Thus the correct conjunction is “or”, not “and”.

Note: For an even deeper understanding of the underlying logic, it might be useful to refer to THIS OFFICIAL QUESTION. This question also tests “and” vs “or” construction - in the OG question, “and” is correct because width and depth are inversely related, i.e. higher the width, lower is the depth, whereas in the above question “or” is correct because length and weight are directly related, i.e. higher the length, higher is the weight.

Concept 2: Use of the idiom “grow to be” / “grow up to”:

“Grow up to 5 mm long” is wrong - “long” is redundant.

“Grow to be” is idiomatically correct.

Note: These exact concepts have been tested in THIS OFFICIAL QUESTION.

(A) Lack of parallelism: “weighing……or growing…….” is not parallel to “with 3 large grooved fangs”; instead “having 3 large grooved fangs” is preferred. The words grow and long are redundant.

Note: Present participle modifiers are technically adverbial modifiers (modifies verbs) and prepositional phrase modifiers are technically adjectival modifiers (modifies noun). Please refer to the note under option B for the conceptual understanding of the present participle modifier.

(B) The participial modifier growing to be… refers to the subject Boomslangs wrongly.

Note: Present participle modifiers are technically verb modifiers, but there must be a subject that this modifier can refer to - compare with the following example:

Steffi won Wimbledon, defeating Gabriela.

The present participle “defeating Gabriela” is technically a verb modifier referring to the verb “won” (won how? By defeating). Nonetheless it should also be clear who defeated, hence the presence of the subject “Steffi” is mandatory. The action depicted by the present participle modifier is done by the subject of the main clause.

In the same way, it can be understood that in option B the action “growing” is done by the subject “Boomslangs” and hence this option is wrong.

(C) The conjunction "and" is wrong. The words grow and long are redundant.

(D) The conjunction "and" is wrong.

(E) CORRECT. Fixes all the problems above.

Answer: E

Hi Bunuel,
Thank you for the explanation.

In the same way, it can be understood that in option B the action “growing” is done by the subject “Boomslangs” and hence this option is wrong.

Unlike the example (Steffi won Wimbledon, defeating Gabriela), which has a verb, won, to refer to, option B does not have any verb to refer to. Could you please help how can we decide referent in such cases?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 415
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 8.52
Send PM
Re V11-07 [#permalink]
Kudos
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. The OG question referred in the explanation also states right answer as "Grow up to be Xmm long", therefore long is not redundant.

In fact, in its absence, the meaning could be literally taken as, that some entity becomes a distance. Which of course is illogical.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 564 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.74
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
bb wrote:
pcnemesis wrote:
Is ''grow to be 5mm" correct usage?

Good question. It does not sound natural to me either... does not mean it is wrong, just not natural.

Is the 'and' vs 'or' logic given in the explanation correct?
The OG qs mentioned here is fairly straightforward. I am not convinced by the explanation on the direct and inverse relationship given here. Can you share links to OG examples with similar seldom/rarely type qs?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
93243 posts