Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619033 [33]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619033 [5]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 138
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: V11-16 [#permalink]
The participle modifier indicate sequence of events as per MGMAT SC Book. If D is correct then - " generating a sudden blast of energy " should be before the "can accelerate part" ?? The generation of energy cant be a subsequent action. Can it be ??
Doesnt the modifer "augmented by its aerodynamic body " fits to modify the cheetah as well. If I am to look at it as a modifer of the verb acceleration what is the rationale behind this. I mean how do we select the correct modifier
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
ankittiss wrote:
Hi,

In option (D), Does "augmented" acts as a participle(verb-ed modifier)?

Thanks,
Ankit

Yes you are right. It is a past participle modifier within an absolute phrase (noun "acceleration"+ noun modifier "augmented by...").
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
korhiyatryinghard wrote:
The participle modifier indicate sequence of events as per MGMAT SC Book. If D is correct then - " generating a sudden blast of energy " should be before the "can accelerate part" ?? The generation of energy cant be a subsequent action. Can it be ??
Doesnt the modifer "augmented by its aerodynamic body " fits to modify the cheetah as well. If I am to look at it as a modifer of the verb acceleration what is the rationale behind this. I mean how do we select the correct modifier

Your query 1:
Probably you have misunderstood something. The present participle modifier can depict a subsequent event or a former event:

Correct: The crime in the region decreased, attracting many real-estate investors. (attracting is a subsequent event)
Correct: Steffi won Wimbledon, defeating Sabatini in straight sets. (defeating is a former event)

Your query 2:
a. The past participle modifier "augmented by...." is outside the main clause - it is within an absolute phrase (see my above post), which as a whole modifies the main cause. Hence this past participle modifier does not refer to "cheetah".

b. "Acceleration" is not a verb, but a noun!

c. Also please note that different types of modifiers may be used to depict the same meaning.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
shirehobbit wrote:
hi, what is wrong with B?.

The cheetah is not augmented, but its acceleration is. The modifier augmented by………flattened ribcage wrongly refers to the cheetah.

The OE already states the above.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Is not second part of the correct answer - "its acceleration..."
needs verb ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
D. can accelerate to a speed of 40 mph in 3 strides, generating its sudden blast of energy by its oversized powerful heart, its acceleration augmented by its aerodynamic body with a small head and flattened ribcage

how come D is not a run-on sentence??

" powerful heart, its ..... "
please help me undertsand these kind of questions??
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [12]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
deepak268 wrote:
D. can accelerate to a speed of 40 mph in 3 strides, generating its sudden blast of energy by its oversized powerful heart, its acceleration augmented by its aerodynamic body with a small head and flattened ribcage

how come D is not a run-on sentence??

" powerful heart, its ..... "
please help me undertsand these kind of questions??

The last part of the sentence is not a clause (there is no verb) - it is an absolute phrase
"its acceleration augmented by its aerodynamic body with a small head and flattened ribcage."

An absolute phrase has the following structure:
noun + noun modifier
here,
noun = its acceleration
noun modifier = augmented by its aerodynamic body with a small head and flattened ribcage. (past participle modifier)
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
yogeshrjn wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Is not second part of the correct answer - "its acceleration..."
needs verb ?

No, it does not, because it is not a clause (otherwise the sentence would be run-on). The second part is an absolute phrase. Please see the post above.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Given Kudos: 359
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36 (Online)
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
Official Solution:

A cheetah can accelerate to a speed of 40 mph in three strides, generating its sudden blast of energy by its powerful, oversized heart, and augmented by its aerodynamic body with a small head and flattened ribcage.

A. can accelerate to a speed of 40 mph in three strides, generating its sudden blast of energy by its powerful, oversized heart, and augmented by its aerodynamic body with a small head and flattened ribcage.
B. augmented by its aerodynamic body with a small head and flattened ribcage, can accelerate to a speed of 40 mph in three strides, generating its sudden blast of energy by its powerful, oversized heart.
C. can accelerate to a speed of 40 mph in three strides, generating its sudden blast of energy by its powerful, oversized heart and augmenting it by its aerodynamic body with a small head and flattened ribcage.
D. can accelerate to a speed of 40 mph in three strides, generating its sudden blast of energy by its powerful, oversized heart, its acceleration augmented by its aerodynamic body with a small head and flattened ribcage.
E. can accelerate in three strides to a speed of 40 mph, augmented by its aerodynamic body with a small head and flattened ribcage, its sudden blast of energy generated by its powerful, oversized heart.

A. The modifiers generating its ………. powerful heart and augmented by………flattened ribcage modify the subject cheetah. While the first (present participle –ing ) correctly modifies the subject, the second is problematic: Being a past participle –ed modifier, it is placed too far from the subject; moreover, the cheetah is not augmented, but its acceleration is.

B. The cheetah is not augmented, but its acceleration is. The modifier augmented by………flattened ribcage wrongly refers to the cheetah.

C. The antecedent of the pronoun it is vague. If it refers to cheetah, itself should be used. Even then the sentence would wrongly mean that the cheetah augments itself, rather than its acceleration.

D. Correct. All above errors are eliminated. An absolute phrase is correctly introduced.

E. The modifier augmented by………flattened ribcage refers to speed of 40mph. In the sentence it is not intended to express that the value 40mph itself is augmented, rather it is intended to be meant that the acceleration with which the cheetah reaches the speed of 40mph is augmented. Hence this placement of the modifier is incorrect.

Answer: D

In the correct answer choice, shouldn't be an and b/w powerful and oversized - by its powerful, oversized heart, - Please explain
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos