Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4419 [35]
Given Kudos: 325
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51453 [7]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE:Human Resources (Human Resources)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [3]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
WE:Human Resources (Human Resources)
Send PM
Re: Vasily: My cat enjoys going outside if it is not raining and if the la [#permalink]
Kudos
aditya111

B)If the large feral tabby is nearby, Vasily’s cat will not enjoy going outside.,....see the Fact 1......" My cat enjoys going outside if it is not raining and if the large feral tabby cat that lives in the alley is nowhere nearby".[/color]

the fact may not be true in reverse also...........ie if my cat enjoys going outside when the large tabby is not around....that does not mean....If the large feral tabby is nearby, Vasily’s cat will not enjoy going outside. in any case------The vasily's cat enjoys going outside if it is not raining...........so what if the large tabby is there............

kudos if you please.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1551 [1]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE:Account Management (Education)
Send PM
Re: Vasily: My cat enjoys going outside if it is not raining and if the la [#permalink]
Kudos
o GMAT!
GMAT is driving her students over the hills.
The gruesomeness of GMAT is not the gmat exam itself. It is having to not know when prep centres, in their free goodies", give you off scope questions that might not affect your IMPROVEMENT in the GMAC exam.
Sad!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Bookmarks
My 2 cents here:

Vasily: My cat enjoys going outside if it is not raining and if the large feral tabby cat that lives in the alley is nowhere nearby. If it is raining, my cat does not enjoy going outside, save in one circumstance: if the white Siamese cat who lives across the street is around, my cat does enjoy going outside regardless.

First of all, take a look at the first sentence:

My cat enjoys going outside if it is not raining and if the large feral tabby cat that lives in the alley is nowhere nearby.

Any condition can be either necessary, sufficient or both. What type of condition do we see here?
It is clearly a necessary condition - to enjoy going outside we need "not raining" and "no ferral tabby cat". Note that these conditions are not sufficient - in order to enjoy going outside you may need more than just absense of rain and ferral tabby cat. For example, the cat might need proper air temperature, humidity, good health condition, etc. Note that due to the nature of sufficient conditions (i.e. they tend to be very complicated for almost any real life situations) they are rarely used on GMAT.

Going back to the argument, we can wright the following logic formula for the first sentence:

enjoyable walk -> no rain AND no cat

, where "->" means implication: If we have enjoyable walk, there is no rain and no ferral cat. Note that the direction of this arrow is crucial as it seems that in the OE Veritas puts it in reverse.

Now, recall how we apply negation to logic formulas:

A -> B after negation becomes not A <- not B
A AND B after negation becomes not A OR not B
not A after negation becomes A

Using these rules, let's negate our formula

after negation becomes

not enjoyable walk <- rain OR cat

which litteraly reads as "If there is either rain or cat, there is no enjoyable walk".
It is clear that the answer B fits this formula due to "or" condition:

If the large feral tabby is nearby, Vasily’s cat will not enjoy going outside.

It is enough to have a feral tabby cat around to spoil going outside.
Note that OA is D and is also correct.
Therefore, if I haven't missed anything, this question looks malformed and should not be used for practice.

Hope this helps. Any feedback and comments are welcome.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 325
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Education)
Send PM
imsahlahno wrote:
I chose B as the answer... can somebody please explain why D is the answer... thanks

B is not correct. The reason. We know that Vasily's cat won't go out because the large feral tabby is outside. But what if the Siamese is around ? and what if it stops raining. There D is better.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619239 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Expert Reply
guerrero25 wrote:
Vasily: My cat enjoys going outside if it is not raining and if the large feral tabby cat that lives in the alley is nowhere nearby. If it is raining, my cat does not enjoy going outside, save in one circumstance: if the white Siamese cat who lives across the street is around, my cat does enjoy going outside regardless.

Which of the following do the statements above most adequately support?

A. If the Siamese cat is outside, Vasily’s cat will ignore the large feral tabby.

B. If the large feral tabby is nearby, Vasily’s cat will not enjoy going outside.

C. If it is raining and Vasily’s cat is enjoying itself, then the large feral tabby must be nowhere nearby.

D. If Vasily’s cat is enjoying going outside and the large feral tabby is nowhere nearby, then either it is not raining or the white Siamese is around.

E. If Vasily’s cat does not enjoy going outside, then either the large feral tabby is nearby or it is not raining.

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

Solution: D

Arrange the premises in conditional form: If the tabby is absent AND either the white Siamese is around OR it isn’t raining, Vasily’s cat enjoys going outside. (We could express this as ~T & (S or ~R) => E.) This means that for Vasily’s cat to enjoy going outside, we need 1) the tabby is be somewhere else and 2) the white Siamese OR a lack of rain. While the difficulty in the question lies in thus simplifying the statements, once you do so the correct answer is clear: (D).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
lexxus wrote:
My 2 cents here:

First of all, take a look at the first sentence:

My cat enjoys going outside if it is not raining and if the large feral tabby cat that lives in the alley is nowhere nearby.

Any condition can be either necessary, sufficient or both. What type of condition do we see here?
It is clearly a necessary condition - to enjoy going outside we need "not raining" and "no ferral tabby cat". Note that these conditions are not sufficient - in order to enjoy going outside you may need more than just absense of rain and ferral tabby cat. For example, the cat might need proper air temperature, humidity, good health condition, etc. Note that due to the nature of sufficient conditions (i.e. they tend to be very complicated for almost any real life situations) they are rarely used on GMAT.

Going back to the argument, we can wright the following logic formula for the first sentence:

, where "->" means implication: If we have enjoyable walk, there is no rain and no ferral cat. Note that the direction of this arrow is crucial as it seems that in the OE Veritas puts it in reverse.

Now, recall how we apply negation to logic formulas:

A -> B after negation becomes not A <- not B
A AND B after negation becomes not A OR not B
not A after negation becomes A

Using these rules, let's negate our formula

after negation becomes

not enjoyable walk <- rain OR cat

which litteraly reads as "If there is either rain or cat, there is no enjoyable walk".
It is clear that the answer B fits this formula due to "or" condition:

If the large feral tabby is nearby, Vasily’s cat will not enjoy going outside.

It is enough to have a feral tabby cat around to spoil going outside.
Note that OA is D and is also correct.
Therefore, if I haven't missed anything, this question looks malformed and should not be used for practice.

Hope this helps. Any feedback and comments are welcome.

Dear VeritasKarishma mikemcgarry

I found this explanation reasonable. Please clarify the mistake in the above explanation and the reason for eliminating option B.

Thank you.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [2]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
guerrero25 wrote:

Which of the following do the statements above most adequately support?

A. If the Siamese cat is outside, Vasily’s cat will ignore the large feral tabby.

B. If the large feral tabby is nearby, Vasily’s cat will not enjoy going outside.

C. If it is raining and Vasily’s cat is enjoying itself, then the large feral tabby must be nowhere nearby.

D. If Vasily’s cat is enjoying going outside and the large feral tabby is nowhere nearby, then either it is not raining or the white Siamese is around.

E. If Vasily’s cat does not enjoy going outside, then either the large feral tabby is nearby or it is not raining.

This is an "if" condition. "If" conditions are sufficient conditions, not necessary conditions.

If "not raining" AND "no tabby", Vasily's cat enjoys outside.

If raining, Vasily's cat does not enjoy outside, except if "Siamese is around".

If "Siamese around" and "raining/not raining", Vasily's cat enjoys outside.

These are sufficient conditions. In these 'A implies B' and 'Not B implies not A'.

Vasily's cat's reaction is not known.

Not known. As discussed, these are sufficient conditions, not necessary.
In "if" conditions, A implies B. 'Not A' DOES NOT imply 'not B'.

We know that when it is not raining and the tabby is not around, Vasily's cat enjoys going out.
But what happens when the tabby is around, we do not know.

If Vasily's cat is enjoying and it is raining, we know that Siamese must be out. But we cannot say anything about tabby.

If Vasily's cat is enjoying outside, then it is not raining. If it is raining, then the white Siamese must be around. So this holds.

Not correct. If Vasily's cat does not enjoy going outside, then either it is raining or the tabby is near or both.

Answer (D)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 450 Q29 V23
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
I ended up deciding between B and D.

B is wrong because it does not include the raining condition as mentioned in the argument.

D is correct because it includes all the conditions that can be inferred from the argument.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 227
Send PM
Vasily: My cat enjoys going outside if it is not raining and if the la [#permalink]
This is all about the "and" here:

Rain + Tabby = Not enjoy

B) If the large feral tabby is nearby, Vasily’s cat will not enjoy going outside.

Yes, he will, if it is raining and the siamese is nearby.

I missed this and was left between B and D. Would the sentence have been with an "or" instead of an "and", B would have been correct:

My cat enjoys going outside if it is not raining or if the large feral tabby cat that lives in the alley is nowhere nearby.

Now Vasily's cat will never enjoy going outside as long as tabby is nearby. However, this would contradict the statement about the siamese.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts