Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:51 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Re: Waitlist. Adjustments/changes in LT/ST goals [#permalink]
Expert Reply
InvGuy wrote:
Hi guys,

Hope you are well.

Do you think changing ST/LT goals is a good idea?
I am on a waitlist. And now understand that probably I did not work well on my goals.

Thank you all!

Hi InvGuy,

Getting accepted off the waitlist can be tricky but very rewarding, and it happens often! What to do/not to do when on the waitlist often varies based on the school and your individual situation. Typically, however, I would advise not to change your goals unless you really think they were a weak point in your application. Where are you waitlisted?

Feel free to send a note to scott@personalmbacoach.com if you would like to discuss your situation in more detail. We offer waitlist support, which includes a full evaluation of your profile, specific recommendations for improving your chances, an edit of a waitlist update letter, and more!

Regards,
Personal MBA Coach
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
InvGuy:

Changing your ST/LT goals is neither a good nor effective strategy. From the AdCom perspective, you had an entire application season to think about your goals. What has changed?

At the end of the day, the schools don't really care about the your goals. They realize many people are going to go in a different direction once they are admitted and there's nothing they can do about it (not that they necessarily care.) The idea is that the goals essays are an opportunity for you to show the school you can put together a well thought out plan for your career and communicate it with conviction. Changing your goals post-decision may communicate confusion and hesitation.

Worse, changing your goals can come off as a cheap "ploy." Anyone can do it without having to put in much energy or effort. It's not like another update where you had to retake a test, earn recognition or launch an initiative - moves that required some level of commitment or achievement. Those are more meaningful updates that could affect someone's standing on the waitlist. Changing your goals will have virtually no impact. If you want to submit an update to improve your standing make it a work status/change, an extracurricular achievement, a letter of reference or (if relevant) a new test score. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you for your reply.
It is much appreciated.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Admissionado,

Thank you.

I think I was not able to deliver my message in a full manner.
My LT goals remain the same.
But I found out that adjusting ST goals a little bit is a more realistic plan.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
InvGuy:

The point still stands. It won't make any difference as far as your standing on the waitlist.

Again, the school is not going to care that you changed your mind about what you are planning to do. They care way more about what you have done. Anyone can tweak their short-term goals. Remember, this is more like a job interview than it is a business proposal.

The update should be about any new accomplishments or credentials, not a plan of action. I would stand pat and let the process play out or find out a way to come up with a valid update.

Crossing our fingers for you!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Many thanks again!
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
InvGuy wrote:
Hi guys,

Hope you are well.

Do you think changing ST/LT goals is a good idea?
I am on a waitlist. And now understand that probably I did not work well on my goals.

Thank you all!

Hello InvGuy,

Thanks.

Changing your career goals after being waitlisted is not the correct strategy; it does not leave the school with the impression of you being certain about what you want and while a change of plans can always take place, it is not so well appreciated within such a short time-frame.

The best way to convert a waitlist is to keep engaging with the Ad Com while sharing additional information pertaining to improvements in your profile and conversations with alumni; this helps showcase your strong intent.

All the best!
GMAT Club Bot