GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2019, 06:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

What are my chances for a M7? Brutal honesty requested!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
What are my chances for a M7? Brutal honesty requested!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2018, 19:09
Hi everyone,

First time poster on the forum but a long time lurker. Thanks for everyone who helped me through my GMAT journey!

Not sure if this is the type of question welcome here, but I wanted to get a pulse check on where my chances for getting into M7s lie. I know that so many factors go into determining where you will be admitted (including some luck), but I’m looking for a pulse check to see what’s realistic. What I’m saying is, if everyone is going to tell me that I have absolutely no chance at XYZ school, I’d rather not put any resources into applying for it at all (i.e., I don’t need to apply for Stanford if its a -20% shot to start with).

Without giving too much away, my profile is:
- White male applicant from Commonwealth country (think UK, Canada, Australia)
- First in graduating class (4.0/4.0 US equivalent), highly ranked UG in my own country (would be considered the top), business program
- 760 GMAT (forget the Q and V, but high on each)
- Management consultant, non-MBB (brand name firm with good strat practice), 3-years at time of applying (4 at start), 1 promotion, likely another coming
- Considered top of class at work (won awards to show)
- Founder of a non-profit (legit with national press coverage), on the Board of another, advise another, all thematically linked and involved with them for many years (i.e., didn’t pick it up a month before apps)

Genuinely not trying to brag, so I’m sorry if the above comes off negatively. Target is Kellogg, then Booth, but will apply to all M7 likely except Stanford. Worried about:
- Being international
- Non-MBB

Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device
INSEAD Thread Master
D
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: What are my chances for a M7? Brutal honesty requested!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2018, 23:27
Hi there Consulting lurker, I think it looks pretty good I think it looks really good. Based on some of the information I am going to venture that you are from the UK or Australia unless your nonprofit is newsworthy for the entire country of Canada Coast to Coast. And if so good for you.

Obviously your stats are strong. And I'm happy about that because you are not exactly an Iranian feminist on the diversity spectrum. I would say if you're Australian you are better off than being Canadian or British. In terms of diversity. This diversity Factor looms large with Stanford in particular.

Obviously being a Management Consultant is a great pre MBA job and you've done well at it but again you're facing a lot of competition and we'll need to find a way to articulate how you stand apart from other white male Consultants.

So for that reason I'm very excited about the fact that you have this nonprofit leadership situation happening because most Consultants are so effing busy they often have fairly weak extracurriculars. So this is really an Ace in the Hole.

I'm not really sure I understand why you're concerned about being International. The problem is if you are Chinese or Indian which you aren't so it's really not a big deal. Don't let 45 scare you away. It's all about how under-represented you are, in terms of citizenship. Other forms of diversity also matter, work diversity and having a unique background.

The fact that you aren't MBB is not a deal-breaker by any means, especially if you can articulate really good stories in terms of teamwork, leadership and problem-solving.

Also if you've been tracking results and keeping in touch with clients that will help a lot. A lot of strat consultants are so focused on the process of their job they ironically are not really tracking their actual contributions. So the quality of your work experience matters a lot in terms of how you demonstrated impact and initiative.

The nonprofit factor and the Consulting Factor will help a bunch with Kellogg and so I think you have pretty good prospects there. Especially if you have a high degree of self-awareness...introspection and can do well on their personal growth essay.

If there's something special about your story and these nonprofits I encourage you to try for Stanford because often there's a certain degree of overlap with Kellogg application...if you are writing about a personal transformation for Stanford.

Booth is quite a different animal and so I am wondering why you would be applying to both of those schools. I would encourage you to think about your values and the culture you want to be in; there's generally a subset of schools that goes along with that.

Specifically Kellogg is very team-oriented whereas Booth very focused on being an independent bold thinker.

There's a lot missing here in terms of your goals, personal narrative, International work experience, Special Sauce but from what I see things are looking good for you :-)

Really hoping that you are not applying in the next two weeks.

Having the advantage of time to do the introspection needed is so important and the key to my success is having clients research themselves their schools and their goals.

All of this can't be done overnight but is absolutely the key to making everything convincing and compelling.

Feel free to email me your resume for more information. Info@mbaprepcoach.com.

Best of luck to you!

http://mbaprepcoach.com
Intern
Intern
Re: What are my chances for a M7? Brutal honesty requested!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2018, 23:51
Hi!

Thanks very much for your reply, really appreciate it. I also appreciate your kind reassuring words. For others that might be reading through my profile, some additional facts that might be helpful:
- Goal is return to consulting but long-term work in FS strategy; employer sponsorship is an opp for me
- Not looking to apply until 2019, giving me time for the introspection you mentioned
- Studied abroad for a year, haven’t worked abroad though
- Specialized in an industry early on - provided me with the chance to contribute to thought leadership publications, manage projects (5+ people) in my first year, etc.
- Reccos shouldn’t be an issue (can get anyone from my direct managers to Partners, depending on what I need)
- Building the non-profit provided me with plenty of overcoming challenge stories (basically a 3 year uphill battle)

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: What are my chances for a M7? Brutal honesty requested!   [#permalink] 26 Dec 2018, 23:51

What are my chances for a M7? Brutal honesty requested!

new topic post reply Update application status