Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 13:10 It is currently 06 May 2024, 13:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: ESADE '23 (A)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
Re: When drive-ins were at the height of their popularity in the late 1950 [#permalink]
I got the answer, but can someone explain isn't 'as many' should always follow 'as' ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: When drive-ins were at the height of their popularity in the late 1950 [#permalink]
Hi, could you explain why B is correct and C is incorrect? In option B, "as those in US in late 50's" is implicit. Why are we assuming this is implicit?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 179
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Nice explanations.
Now I will remember the concept here.
Countable/non-countable nouns, and less/few.
Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
That / it -wrong Plural Drives....
Left with B and D
B more appropriate
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 261
Send PM
Hello experts,
I would like some help with the answer choice D and more specifically the first part "the number is less" I do understand why the amount in the end is wrong, but "the number is less" should be substituted with "the number is fewer"? It sounds a little bit awkward or is it that number can't be followed by fewer/less and should be followed by other type of words? I'm a little bit confused.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [2]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM
Bookmarks
UNSTOPPABLE12 wrote:
Hello experts,
I would like some help with the answer choice D and more specifically the first part "the number is less" I do understand why the amount in the end is wrong, but "the number is less" should be substituted with "the number is fewer"? It sounds a little bit awkward or is it that number can't be followed by fewer/less and should be followed by other type of words? I'm a little bit confused.

D is wrong because of 'less' and 'amount'

Drive-ins are countable and require 'fewer' and 'number'.

We would say 'the number is fewer than one-quarter as many'.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63790 [5]
Given Kudos: 1775
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
UNSTOPPABLE12 wrote:
Hello experts,

I feel your pain here -- there's a lot of confusion when it comes to modifiers for countable/non-countable items. (That's why we made YouTube viewers suffer through this thing.)

It might help to run through a few scenarios. Imagine that Tim has 12 llamas and Bob has 11 llamas.

1) Because llamas are countable, we'd say that Bob has fewer llamas than Tim does.

2) Similarly, because llamas are countable, we'd compare the number of llamas Tim has to the number Bob has. (If we were talking about a quantity that wasn't countable in integer increments, such as orange juice, we'd refer to the amount of juice.)

3) However, 11 is itself less than 12. (You can count 11 llamas. But you can't count the number 11.)

Having fun yet? :P

In this sentence, we're addressing "drive-ins" which, like llamas, are countable, so we should use "number" as we do in #2 above. Because (D) incorrectly uses "amount" to refer to the "number" of drive-ins, it's wrong: we can never use "amount" to refer to countable items. And there's no need to agonize over the "less" here.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 2309
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
If Option A was "there are fewer than one-quarter that many" would it be correct?
What does "that" refer to in Option A?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 2309
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
ricokevin wrote:
When drive-ins were at the height of their popularity in the late 1950's, some 4,000 existed in the United States, but today there are less than one-quarter that many.

(A) there are less than one-quarter that many

(B) there are fewer than one-quarter as many

(C) there are fewer than one-quarter of that amount

(D) the number is less than one-quarter the amount

(E) it is less than one-quarter of that amount

If Option A were "there are fewer than one-quarter that many" would it be correct?

Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4684 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
RSP92 wrote:
ricokevin wrote:
When drive-ins were at the height of their popularity in the late 1950's, some 4,000 existed in the United States, but today there are less than one-quarter that many.

Hello @RSP92,

If Option A were "there are fewer than one-quarter that many" would it be correct?

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe we can resolve your doubts.

Yes; if "less" in Option A were replaced with "fewer", the answer choice would be correct. In Option A "that" refers to "4,000", but it does so as a preposition rather than as a pronoun.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63790 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
RSP92 wrote:
If Option A was "there are fewer than one-quarter that many" would it be correct?

Well, there'd no longer be a concrete grammatical error, but you could argue that this construction is still less than ideal, because the "that," while not technically wrong, is confusing. Take another example:

While half the llamas on Tim's farm enjoy wind-surfing, there are at least one-quarter that do not enjoy water sports of any kind.

Here, "that" is used to introduce a full clause describing 25% of the llamas.

In your example, when I see "There are fewer than one-quarter that" my initial expectation is for "that" to be used the same way, and I'm about to see that there fewer than one-quarter that do something. But that's not what we get. If I reread the sentence, I can eventually figure out that "that" is used as an adverb describing "many," so it's not a concrete error. But if I have a choice between one option I need to reread to make sense of, and one option that's crystal-clear the first time through, I'm going for crystal-clear every time.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
In option E, By logic of the sentence , the pronoun "it" refers to drive ins, which is plural. Does this calls for an defining error or not.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V29
Send PM

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63790 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
amit9424444 wrote:
In option E, By logic of the sentence , the pronoun "it" refers to drive ins, which is plural. Does this calls for an defining error or not.

First of all, what exactly is "less than one-quarter of that amount"? The "drive-ins" themselves? Or the number of drive-ins? It's the latter -- and if that's not clear, trying substituting the "it" with "drive-ins" and with "number of drive-ins".

So the problem isn't that "it" is singular. The problem is that "it" is trying to refer to something that wasn't mentioned earlier in the sentence (the number of drive-ins).

And that highlights another crucial issue in (E): because drive-ins are countable, "amount" doesn't work. We have a number of drive-ins, not an amount of drive-ins.

I hope that helps!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM

Option Elimination -

(A) there are less than one-quarter that many - "less" refers to the countable noun "some 4000 drive-ins," which is wrong.

(B) there are fewer than one-quarter as many - "fewer" is good. The complete sentence is "There are fewer than one-quarter as many (as existed in the United States)" or "There are fewer than one-quarter as many [drive-ins] today as there were at the height of their popularity in the late 1950s."

(C) there are fewer than one-quarter of that amount - We are discussing the countable nouns "drive-ins," so "many" is preferable.

(D) the number is less than one-quarter the amount - Both less and amount issue.

(E) it is less than one-quarter of that amount - Both less and amount issue. Moreover, what is "it" referring to? The current number of drive-ins? But where is it mentioned in the sentence? Wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
MartyMurray AndrewN AjiteshArun In the correct answer choice b) why as after many is absent. As far as i know, the idiom is 'as X as' but here the later as is absent. Can you guys please explain?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 597
Send PM
When drive-ins were at the height of their popularity in the late 1950 [#permalink]
Kudos
NakulDiwakar10 wrote:
MartyMurray AndrewN AjiteshArun In the correct answer choice b) why as after many is absent. As far as i know, the idiom is 'as X as' but here the later as is absent. Can you guys please explain?

(B) there are fewer than one-quarter as many (as existed in the United States.)

It is often deleted because it is already mentioned before.
GMAT Club Bot
When drive-ins were at the height of their popularity in the late 1950 [#permalink]
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts