Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 14:15 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Where did I go wrong with my R1 apps? Please help! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
shriniv7 wrote:
Thank you so much Arvind/ admitStreet for your time in reviewing this. Genuinely helpful and insightful!

Regarding my promotions, unfortunately, the company I work at (or even the companies I've worked at) is ridiculously slow at vertical promotions. It is a US based company, and there are only 21 people in my entire function. There are 3 people managers, all of whom are close to 40 years in age. One of the star performers in my team is 33 years old, has an amazing pay, but has the same designation as me. They don't promote people in my company here because they don't hire new members to escalate someone to a people leadership role. And the reason why I change jobs is for pay hike and a larger market portfolio to handle (Enterprise now vs SMB earlier). If it matters, I almost had a 100% hike from my previous to current job, and I've had ~350% hike in pay in 3.5 years. Comparing to peers of my age/designation/industry, my pay here at this company is significantly higher than market standard, and I in fact can't jump jobs because other companies can't match my current pay. I'm able to show progress only through my pay scale and not designation. Struggling to convey this aspect. Do you have any thoughts on this front?

Hi,

I wouldn't be so concerned with this aspect of your profile. Frequent job switches can come at the cost of change in designations and some companies do tend to have more linear structures. These are things out of your control, so its better to focus on those elements which you can control. For example- explaining what opportunities each job switch gave you (leaving the monetary benefits aside, these should not come across as you biggest motivators), how your responsibilities/ area of influence increased with every job and how your impact increased - these would be good pointers to convince. The same goes for leadership as well. You dont have to be in a leadership position to be a leader. You can still influence others to work with you and achieve outstanding outcomes. I will be able to gauge this only after looking through your essays.

An essay component which I have often seen bringing applicants down is the career goals essay- especially when the career goals don't connect with your existing experience and/or skills set. Your GRE score is on the lower side but it should have worked for the lower ranked MBA programs where you applied. So, I would go back to the application and try to understand what you were doing wrong.

Although LORs are typically not the reason for a ding, but I hope these were good.

Namita Garg,
Founder, MBA Decoder
Email: contact@mbadecoder.com
Profile evaluation: https://mbadecoder.com/services/free-pr ... valuation/
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Where did I go wrong with my R1 apps? Please help! [#permalink]
shriniv7 wrote:
Thank you so much Arvind/ admitStreet for your time in reviewing this. Genuinely helpful and insightful!

Regarding my promotions, unfortunately, the company I work at (or even the companies I've worked at) is ridiculously slow at vertical promotions. It is a US based company, and there are only 21 people in my entire function. There are 3 people managers, all of whom are close to 40 years in age. One of the star performers in my team is 33 years old, has an amazing pay, but has the same designation as me. They don't promote people in my company here because they don't hire new members to escalate someone to a people leadership role. And the reason why I change jobs is for pay hike and a larger market portfolio to handle (Enterprise now vs SMB earlier). If it matters, I almost had a 100% hike from my previous to current job, and I've had ~350% hike in pay in 3.5 years. Comparing to peers of my age/designation/industry, my pay here at this company is significantly higher than market standard, and I in fact can't jump jobs because other companies can't match my current pay. I'm able to show progress only through my pay scale and not designation. Struggling to convey this aspect. Do you have any thoughts on this front?

shriniv7 - thanks for the update. Progression can be conveyed through the scope of your role(s) i.e. the size of the projects handled, impact/ result, learnings, etc. and not necessarily through pay/ designation. This can be done both in essays and CV: some guidelines/ tips for writing an impactful CV are here

The important part is to link your professional experiences and arc to your post-MBA career goals, and having a narrative as to how the MBA (and the particular B-school) fits in the picture.

Regards,
Arvind
Founder, admitStreet
LinkedIn
W:https://admitstreet.com| E: consultingteam@admitstreet.com

Originally posted by admitStreet on 26 Nov 2023, 01:05.
Last edited by admitStreet on 26 Nov 2023, 23:51, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Re: Where did I go wrong with my R1 apps? Please help! [#permalink]
shriniv7,

Please feel free to set up a Ding Analysis session with us via the link - https://www.crackadmission.com/contact-us/
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 615 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
shriniv7 wrote:
Profile: Indian - Male - Engineer - 56 months of work experience by Fall 2024 intake (Resume attached as image)
GRE: 168Q - 159V
Vertical promotions: 0
Direct reportees: 0
Undergraduate prestige/score: Not IIT/NIT; 80.96%
Colleges I applied to (R1): Tuck, Duke, Tepper, Emory, USC Marshall, UNC Kenan Flagler, Kelley, Rice, Rotman.
Interviews: Rice and Kelley

Where do you think my profile missed the boat, especially for T15-T25 colleges like Emory, Rotman, UNC Kenan Flagler, etc.? Is it my weak GRE? Lack of promotions/direct reportees? UG Score? Resume? I understand my essays aren't included here - if my profile seems fitting for a good T15 application, could my essays have pulled me down?

I'm planning to apply to Georgetown, Simon, Questrom, Ivey in R2. I seek your advice and guidance on recalibrating my approach for R2 after a disappointing R1. Thanks for your time!

shriniv7 disappointed to know that you didnt get many invites for interview. Here's my take

1. Yes, your GRE is definitely not a motivator for the schools to invite you unless you did a stellar job with the essays (hard for me to comment at the moment). With solid essays, I would have expected you to have a couple of more waitlists (do you?)

2. Your resume is missing the big picture. I always recommend writing about the companies you worked at in a single line. Dont expect the adcoms to know whether this company or the startup you worked at was a big deal or not. You must mention the scale of business, revenue or valuation, number of employees etc. You should also briefly detail how does your role adds value to the org, which you have clearly missed in your older stints. What does a travel consultant even do- would be nice to add in a line how this position was critical in driving this organization's immediate business goals (what were these goals)? Its on you to present that. The story should come clear by simply looking at the resume, for example how have you progressively picked opportunities that led you closer to a target domain/ industry/ job function. You have a long list of achievements but its hard to comprehend what you really did there to help the organizations achieve their goals.

Now I might be picking on the details here but hoping this would help you in the future- you have used many percentage figures that actually would not mean anything to the reader.

I have no idea what "Book of Business" means. Or what does increasing the accounts by 287% means? For all we know, it could mean that you grew the number of accounts from 2 to 8 in 11 months which is okayish but it makes more sense when you put it in absolute numbers and tell why was this important for this company (what was the company struggling with and how you added value in real terms).

Similarly when you say you reduced the time spent by 30%, it does not mean anything to the reader. Convey what is the impact in terms of man hours saved or manpower reduced and why this was important for the organization. These are a few of the many potential improvement areas that I see in your resume. Treat your resume like a repository of your most significant business cases that you've contributed to. Include points that make good business sense.

I think you may have had misses in your essays too, so I recommend you do a deep dive with someone who really understands the various parts of an application and the purpose behind.

Feel free to connect should you want professional guidance.

Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum, former INSEAD MBA admissions interviewer)
MBAGuideConsulting
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ | Message(WA): +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com
GMAT Club Bot