Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 10:22 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 10:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Where should i start [#permalink]
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
With regards to your question about MBA math preparation, yes absolutely, I would without a single doubt apply and complete the MBA math classes online. You just go to MBA math.com.

Thank you. I'll start preparing right away.

Quote:
I personally think that growing up in a war-torn area would give you a perspective that others might not have. So if I'm just able to see that from what I see here, there could be lots of things about you that would set you apart. Objective is for others to learn from you in a classroom situation. So think it through from that perspective.

I think i need to incorporate this into my MBA essay. There are a few things that are slightly different e.g. I have had a few close calls with suicide bombs and the only reason i am alive is.. well i am lucky, i guess. (This doesn't mean those who died are unlucky or anything. This is an emotional topic, one has to be careful.)

Quote:
I'm always so confused as to why applicants ask for others to recommend schools when we don't know anything about you or your goals. That's like asking strangers to order dinner for you. Except that dinner last for 2 years and essentially for the rest of your life. It's a personal decision. What is it that you're trying to do by way of an MBA?

I have a good reason. Before i gave my GMAT i only had one School in mind and i was aiming for a 600 in GMAT. But then the result came and now i have more options.I had never considered studying abroad.

What do i want to do with an MBA degree? Change my career, i am not the banking and finance sort. I have worked in both an International Bank and a local Bank ,and after 8 years i feel i have had enough.

So where to now ?

Preferably a company that has global presence. Unilever, Shell, Coke/Pepsi, P&G etc. I would like to gain some international experience and after 5 or 6 years move back to my own country.

On the other hand i have always wanted to work in a video-games company (Blizzard, EA, Sony etc). Though not the creative side, but i think an MBA degree can help me in becoming a part of the marketing side or production side. (Video Game Producer).

Quote:
additional variables

Should i join some sort of club, take part in some fund raiser ? Do i need certificates ?
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hnoorshn wrote:
Hello,
First congrats on being done with the GMAT and doing so well. Here are some thoughts below on what to do next...
A few weeks back i gave my GMAT and now i am confused. Where should i apply , where should i start ?

Here is my Profile

Ethnicity : Pathan , Domicile: Tribal
Grew up in Peshawar (which has been a war affected area for more than a decade now)
GPA : 3.2 (Institute of Management Sciences Peshawar)
GMAT: 700 (Q48,V38)
Work Experience : 8 years (4.5 Years in Standard Chartered Bank)
Currently : In-charge Operational Risk Department at a local Bank.
-
Except for Haas , i am not applying to any of the top 10 programs. I don't think i have anything that sets me apart from an Indian/Chinese Engineer/IT applicant.
There are other variables. I would like to do my MBA in either America or Canada (Mcgill), will i be able to get a decent job once i have completed my MBA?
How Quant Heavy is the MBA course , should i start preparing in advance ?

Experts please help.
First of all, there are fewer candidates from Pakistan and this will bring a little bit of a diversity within the Indian pool- I think it is in HOW you tell your story whether or not you get noticed- Haas odds are fairly low so I don't see this as the "one" top program to pick if you want to do that- look at Kellogg or Booth in M7 for better odds. But beyond that- I would look heavily at US programs in the 15-30 range- many excellent programs like Indiana, Mendoza, Rice, Emory, Vanderbilt... and all these programs can give you a pathway to good employment options. I'd also look at stats for employment reports and you want to see a small gap between Foreign National employment results compared to US Citizen employment.
If you'd like to know more about how we can help, please reach out to us for a free consult: https://stratusprep.com/free-consult/
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
I don't think there is anything holding you back from securing employment post-MBA outside of VISA issues. The MBA curriculum, particularly in Y1 is very quant heavy so if you are feeling a little nervous about your analytical chops it is better to be proactive through things like MBA Math.

I would probably focus on your application for now and identify your quant development post-MBA. Look at schools in the top 25 that fit with your development needs and take a shot!
GMAT Club Bot