Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:18 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3827 [232]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [32]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [16]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [11]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Woodrow Wilson was referring to the liberal idea of the [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply

Question 5 (+ full passage breakdown)

RandomUuser wrote:
It can be inferred from the passage that the author most probably thinks that giving the disenfranchised “a piece of the action” is

(A) a compassionate, if misdirected, legislative measure
(B) an example of Americans’ resistance to profound social change
(C) an innovative program for genuine social reform
(D) a monument to the efforts of industrial reformers
(E) a surprisingly “Old World” remedy for social ills

could someone explain this question please, how is the answer B

As with most questions, this one relies on a strong grasp of the passage’s overall purpose. So although this question is about one particular line, let’s begin by thinking about the purpose of each paragraph, and how it relates to the quote about “a piece of the action.” (Side note: feel free to check out our Ultimate RC Guide for Beginners for more on reading for purpose).

Let's take a look at the first paragraph:
  • America sees its economic system as based on opportunity and mobility.
  • America sees the "Old World" system as based on property and stability.

Now the second paragraph:
  • America sees "Haves" as "agents of change."
  • America sees "Have-Nots" as wanting "stability, a strong referee to give them some position in the race."

And finally the third paragraph:
  • Reform in America has been ineffective (or "sterile") because its efforts at reform are limited by its view of its economic system as a "race".
  • One example of a "sterile" or ineffective reforms is including more people in the race, so they get a "piece of the action."
  • America would never "call off the race," meaning it would never enact a more extreme reform.
  • Because of America's views of its economic system, the race never ends and no one wins.

So basically, the statement about giving the disenfranchised a "piece of the action" is an example of an ineffective reform which America might enact. Let's now take a look at the question itself.

It can be inferred from the passage that the author most probably thinks that giving the disenfranchised “a piece of the action” is
Quote:

The idea of being misdirected catches my eye, since we know the author thinks giving the disenfranchised “a piece of the action” is an example America’s failed effort at reform. But is it a legislative measure? Well, we don’t get any specifics about these reforms, so we have no basis to consider them “legislative measures.” But is it compassionate? I doubt it. The author clearly has some negative views of America’s economic system (“There is no honor in the Wonderland race we must all run…”), so compassionate doesn’t fit very well.

(A) is out.

Quote:

Right off the bat, I like that this identifies the statement as an example. Based on our reading, the purpose of the statement “a piece of the action” was to give an example of why America’s efforts at reform are sterile, so that makes sense. What about “resistance to profound social change?” Well, the passage says these efforts at reform are like allowing more people to compete in the race, as opposed to calling off the race. In other words, they are small efforts at reform that ultimately fail. And because these reforms fail, America is unable to produce “profound social change.”

Okay, so far so good. But what about the word profound? Well, America is willing to allow more competitors in the race, but not to call off the race. So while it makes small changes, it is unable to make large changes. So the word profound makes sense as well.

Let’s hold on to (B).

Quote:

Uh, no. The whole point is that this is an example of failed reform. Eliminate (C).

Quote:

Again, the quote is an example of how America’s views of its economic system cause it to fail at social reform. So it’s not a positive testament (i.e. a monument) to reformers of any kind. (D) is out.

Quote:

Okay, a “remedy for social ills” catches my ear. This is an example of a reform to America’s economic system, which is arguably a “remedy for social ills,” so that isn’t terrible.

But is it an “Old World” remedy? Well, the quote was an example of America’s effort at reform. And if we go back to the first paragraph, we see that America’s views of its economic system (mobility and opportunity) were contrasted to the Old World views (stability and property). So really, this answer choice has it backwards. It’s not an Old World remedy, but an example of a typical American remedy. Eliminate (E).

So we are left with (B) as the answer to question 5.

Hope that helps!
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3827 [8]
Send PM
Kudos
I am happy to be back :)
will now emphasize more on the Quality rather than Quantity side of RCs
Few(may be 2/day) Good Quality RCs and Good discussions are what we need

My take is DBDA BCACD(I did badly -I know it)

Btw,whats difference between "primary purpose" and "main point"?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 406 [6]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 2: 760  Q50  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I will post my answers later tonight and I am glad you are back.

I was finding it really hard to manage your duties here. Finally, I will get much needed break.

Difference between Primary purpose and Main point is same as difference between Primary purpose and Main idea i.e.

Primary purpose of message says why author has written the passage.
The answers will start with "To..." most of the times. And try identifying what kind of passage it is: explanatory, comparative or argumentative to know whether the author's primary purpose is to "outline", "evaluate", "compare", etc. while main point is superset of 2-3 option.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3827 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
No sarcasm at all,Icandy
you are the Guru in RC.
I am just learning the tricks

Are you asking abt this one?which I got right too

6. Which of the following metaphors could the author most appropriately use to summarize his own assessment of the American economic system (lines 35-60)?

(A) A windmill
(B) A waterfall
(C) A treadmill
(D) A gyroscope
(E) A bellows

I opted for treadmill because "its in continuously running" mode resembling "American economic system "
check the last line--#60
"There is no honor but in the Wonderland race we must all run, all trying to win, none winning in the end (for there is no end)."
sent PM to you,pls check,icandy
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1953 [8]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Kudos
nitya34 wrote:
No sarcasm at all,Icandy
you are the Guru in RC.
I am just learning the tricks

Are you asking abt this one?which I got right too

6. Which of the following metaphors could the author most appropriately use to summarize his own assessment of the American economic system (lines 35-60)?

(A) A windmill
(B) A waterfall
(C) A treadmill
(D) A gyroscope
(E) A bellows

I opted for treadmill because "its in continuously running" mode resembling "American economic system "
check the last line--#60
"There is no honor but in the Wonderland race we must all run, all trying to win, none winning in the end (for there is no end)."
sent PM to you,pls check,icandy

I agree with what you are saying but I dont understand how it is treadmill unless "running" is the analogy here. I drew similarity on the continuously running piece. Can a treadmill be stopped? ofcourse yes, then how is it running all the time. The only thing that came close to me was the waterfall.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32882 [7]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
sacmanitin wrote:
Woodrow Wilson was referring to the liberal idea of the economic market when he said that the free enterprise system is the most efficient economic system. Maximum freedom means maximum productiveness; our “openness” is to be the measure of our stability. Fascination with this ideal has made Americans defy the “Old World” categories of settled possessiveness versus unsettling deprivation, the cupidity of retention versus the cupidity of seizure, a “status quo” defended or attacked. The United States, it was believed, had no status quo ante. Our only “station” was the turning of a stationary wheel, spinning faster and faster. We did not base our system on property but opportunity—which meant we based it not on stability but on mobility. The more things changed, that is, the more rapidly the wheel turned, the steadier we would be. The conventional picture of class politics is composed of the Haves, who want a stability to keep what they have, and the Have-Nots, who want a touch of instability and change in which to scramble for the things they have not. But Americans imagined a condition in which speculators, self-makers, runners are always using the new opportunities given by our land. These economic leaders (front-runners) would thus be mainly agents of change. The nonstarters were considered the ones who wanted stability, a strong referee to give them some position in the race, a regulative hand to calm manic speculation; an authority that can call things to a halt, begin things again from compensatorily staggered “starting lines.”
“Reform” in America has been sterile because it can imagine no change except through the extension of this metaphor of a race, wider inclusion of competitors, “a piece of the action,” as it were, for the disenfranchised. There is no attempt to call off the race. Since our only stability is change, America seems not to honor the quiet work that achieves social interdependence and stability. There is, in our legends, no heroism of the office clerk, no stable industrial work force of the people who actually make the system work. There is no pride in being an employee (Wilson asked for a return to the time when everyone was an employer). There has been no boasting about our social workers—they are merely signs of the system’s failure, of opportunity denied or not taken, of things to be eliminated. We have no pride in our growing interdependence, in the fact that our system can serve others, that we are able to help those in need; empty boasts from the past make us ashamed of our present achievements, make us try to forget or deny them, move away from them. There is no honor but in the Wonderland race we must all run, all trying to win, none winning in the end (for there is no end).
1. The primary purpose of the passage is to
(A) criticize the inflexibility of American economic mythology
(B) contrast “Old World” and “New World” economic ideologies
(C) challenge the integrity of traditional political leaders
(D) champion those Americans whom the author deems to be neglected
(E) suggest a substitute for the traditional metaphor of a race
2. According to the passage, “Old World” values were based on
(A) ability
(B) property
(C) family connections
(D) guild hierarchies
(E) education
3. In the context of the author’s discussion of regulating change, which of the following could be most probably regarded as a “strong referee” (line 30) in the United States?
(A) A school principal
(B) A political theorist
(C) A federal court judge
(D) A social worker
(E) A government inspector
4. The author sets off the word “Reform” (line 35) with quotation marks in order to
(A) emphasize its departure from the concept of settled possessiveness
(B) show his support for a systematic program of change
(C) underscore the flexibility and even amorphousness of United States society
(D) indicate that the term was one of Wilson’s favorites
(E) assert that reform in the United States has not been fundamental
5. It can be inferred from the passage that the author most probably thinks that giving the disenfranchised “a piece of the action” (line 38) is
(A) A windmill
(B) A waterfall
(C) A treadmill
(D) A gyroscope
(E) A bellows
7. It can be inferred from the passage that Woodrow Wilson’s ideas about the economic market
(A) encouraged those who “make the system work” (lines 45-46)
(B) perpetuated traditional legends about America
(C) revealed the prejudices of a man born wealthy
(D) foreshadowed the stock market crash of 1929
(E) began a tradition of presidential proclamations on economics
8. The passage contains information that would answer which of the following questions?
I. What techniques have industrialists used to manipulate a free market?
II. In what ways are “New World” and “Old World” economic policies similar?
III. Has economic policy in the United States tended to reward independent action?
(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) II and III only
9. Which of the following best expresses the author’s main point?
(A) Americans’ pride in their jobs continues to give them stamina today.
(B) The absence of a status quo ante has undermined United States economic structure.
(C) The free enterprise system has been only a useless concept in the United States.
(D) The myth of the American free enterprise system is seriously flawed.
(E) Fascination with the ideal of “openness” has made Americans a progressive people.

please help me with the explanations for Question 2 ,3 ,6,7 ,8.

2 - “Old World” categories of settled possessiveness versus unsettling deprivation, the cupidity of retention versus the cupidity of seizure, a “status quo” defended or attacked - hence property

3 - a strong referee to give them some position in the race, a regulative hand to calm manic speculation; an authority that can call things to a halt, begin things again from compensatorily staggered “starting lines.” - hence a judge

6 - see the answer of nytia34

7 - if the main point of the passage is "criticize the inflexibility of American economic mythology" hence we still believe in "traditional legends about America" the myth resist to date

8 - only the third we find it in the passage

hope this help you ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [10]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Jesus..Christ! What the hell was that passage? Reads like it just landed on earth from some alien mothership..

1 - right
2 - right
3 - wrong (picked B..the whole question sounded to me like "if a+b=2, then what's the color of a two-legged elephant" :P )
4 - right
5 - wrong (picked A)
6 - right (treadmill is the only word I've ever read in an economic context, so..(un)educated guess)
7 - right (although I didn't even know what "perpetuated" means...the other choices sounded even more stupid, tho.)
8 - right
9 - wrong (picked B)

I'm VERY surprised I had so many correct answers but I guarantee that was pure luck. I barely understood anything in there, I was guessing every single question...

I particularly dont understand the following:
"The nonstarters were considered the ones who wanted stability, a strong referee to give them some position in the race, a regulative hand to calm manic speculation; an authority that can call things to a halt, begin things again from compensatorily staggered “starting lines.”"

in how far is the "strong referee" related to the nonstarters? does he need to give them "some position in the race"? why would he have to regulate "manic speculation", doesnt sound like something "nonstarters" would do?!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
WE:Social Work (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos