It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 09:16

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Workers are grouped by their areas of expertise, and are

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Workers are grouped by their areas of expertise and are plac [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2016, 07:36
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 14

Re: Workers are grouped by their areas of expertise and are plac [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2016, 08:53
babusona wrote:
Workers are grouped by their areas of expertise and are placed on at least one team. 20 workers are on team A, 30 are on team B, 40 are on team C. 5 workers are on both team A and B, 6 workers are on both the B and C teams, 9 workers are on both the C and A teams and 4 workers are on all 3 teams. How many workers are there in total?

A. 62
B. 78
C. 74
D. 66
E. 72

This is a tricky question as many time we miss this simple word called "only"

5 workers are on both team A and B or 5 workers are on both team A and B + only.

The result will dramatically differ. If you infer with "only", then answer will be A. 62 which is the wrong answer.

Simple formula to memorize = Total = A+B+C - (summation of 2 overlaps) + (3 overlaps)

This leads to answer C)74 and the correct answer

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 14

Retired Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 901 [0], given: 607

GRE 1: 323 Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Workers are grouped by their areas of expertise, and are placed on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2016, 10:57
Workers are grouped by their areas of expertise, and are placed on at least one team. 20 are on the marketing team, 30 are on the Sales team, and 40 are on the Vision team. 5 workers are on both the Marketing and Sales teams, 6 workers are on both the Sales and Vision teams, 9 workers are on both the Marketing and Vision teams, and 4 workers are on all three teams. How many workers are there in total?

A)74
B)90
C)70
D)66
E)cannot be determined

Note => This is a copy of workers-are-grouped-by-their-areas-of-expertise-and-are-90246.html > I added the options To make it fruitful

Give me a hell yeah ...!!!!!

Kudos [?]: 901 [0], given: 607

1 KUDOS received
SC Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 1227 [1], given: 896

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Workers are grouped by their areas of expertise, and are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2016, 11:49
This post received
KUDOS
stonecold wrote:
Workers are grouped by their areas of expertise, and are placed on at least one team. 20 are on the marketing team, 30 are on the Sales team, and 40 are on the Vision team. 5 workers are on both the Marketing and Sales teams, 6 workers are on both the Sales and Vision teams, 9 workers are on both the Marketing and Vision teams, and 4 workers are on all three teams. How many workers are there in total?

A)74
B)90
C)70
D)66
E)cannot be determined

Note => This is a copy of workers-are-grouped-by-their-areas-of-expertise-and-are-90246.html > I added the options To make it fruitful

Thank you. The topics are merged and the options are added. Please do not re-post the same topic. Post your concerns in the comments if you find any discrepancy in the posted question and we will be able to rectify the errors.

Kudos [?]: 1227 [1], given: 896

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 165

GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2016, 10:54
M= 20
S = 30
V = 40
M & S = 5
S & V = 6
V & M = 9
All three = 4
Neither = 0 (they are placed in at least one of them)

Total = 20 +30 + 40 + 4 + 0 - (9 +6 +5) = 94 - 20 = 74

Fais de ta vie un rêve et d'un rêve une réalité

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 165

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 106

GPA: 3.8
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Workers are grouped by their areas of expertise, and are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2016, 19:45
jaydevsachdeva wrote:
Answer is 62. Solved by both equations:

Hi, for all that are confused as to why there are 2 different answers from the given 2 equations,
There are two formulas for 3 overlapping sets:
Total=A+B+C−(sum of 2−group overlaps)+(all three)+Neither.

Total=A+B+C−(sum of EXACTLY 2−group overlaps)−2∗(all three)+Neither

The answer is supposed to be 62 for both of them.

For 1st Equation, as it is a sum of 2 group overlaps, it will also include the common(all three) 4 part with it.
Total=A+B+C−(sum of 2−group overlaps)+(all three)+Neither
Total= 20+30+40-((5+4)+(9+4)+(6+4))+4+0=62
=90-32+4
=62
For 2nd Equation, as it is a sum of 2 Exactly group overlaps, it will not include the common 4 part with it.

Total=A+B+C−(sum of EXACTLY 2−group overlaps)−2∗(all three)+Neither
=20+30+40-(5+9+6)-2*4+0
=90-20-8
=62

I hope I am right, and I hope everyone got it.

I completely agree with you in regards to this particular problem. See Below:

Reading through the history of this problem I can see why there is confusion. I understand applying Venn Diagrams and the formulas associated with such. My confusion initially resulted from the GMAT Club Math Book's formula explanation: Pay attention to the description on what it means to sum the intersections - it states to add "g" to every intersection (d, e, and f)...then you subtract from 90, then you add "g" again.
Total = A+B+C - (sum of 2-group overlaps) + (All 3) + Neither
"In the formula above, Sum of 2-group overlaps = AnB+AnC+BnC, where AnB means intersection of A and B (sections d, and g), AnC means intersection of A and C (sections e and g), and BnC means intersection of B and C (sections f and g).
Now, when we subtract AnB (d and g), AnC (e and g), and BnC (f and g) from A+B+C, we are subtracting sections "d, e, and f" ONCE BUT section "g" THREE TIMES (and we need to subtract section "g" only twice), therefore we should add only section "g", which is intersection of A, B, and C (AnBnC) again to get: Total = A+B+C - (sum of 2-group overlaps) + (all three) + Neither

Due to this, I initially obtained 62 as well because I did as it states: I summed AnB+AnC+BnC by adding d and g, e and g, and f and g...THAT is the key...although I now understand the concept, not just memorizing, I did not when I started learning this concept. It did not mention to only sum d, e, and f.....But that is what I had to do to obtain 74. Thus, by adding (5+4)+(6+4)+(9+4) we get 32....subtracting it from 90 = 58, + 4 = 62. Now, in the Mathbook, the second formula is explained well in that you only add what which is common for A and C, which is "e", for example, not "e and g".

I love that mathbook, it has been my favorite prep for formulas and methods, I am eternally grateful....

Going back through I realize now that although it may say to specifically sum d+g, e+g, f+g, I know that when the question asks for "both A and B" I know not to add the "all 3" in it as well because anything shared amongst all 3 will be included in those 2. I may have read to much into the Mathbook but by understanding the concept it just makes sense now. Bunuel did a great job explaining, thank you again.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 106

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 166

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 17:44
BarneyStinson wrote:

A. 62
B. 78
C. 74
D. 66
E. 72

The thing with this question is that it doesn't say " Only 5 workers are on both the marketing and sales...only 6 are on both the sales and visions" if it said that then the answer would be 62

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 166

Re: Workers are grouped by their areas of expertise, and are   [#permalink] 12 Oct 2017, 17:44

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 47 posts ] 

Workers are grouped by their areas of expertise, and are

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap