Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:16 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [16]
Given Kudos: 36
GPA: 3.88
WE:Management Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [5]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.9
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [4]
Given Kudos: 77
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3968 [2]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: 25% extra quantity of a commodity [#permalink]
Kudos
jahongirnorimov wrote:
25 % extra quantity of a commodity for the same price is equivalent to a discount of what percentage?

A) 15%
B) 20%
C) 25%
D) 30%
E) Information is insufficient to reach a unique answer

Asked: 25 % extra quantity of a commodity for the same price is equivalent to a discount of what percentage?

Let cost price be c and selling price be s

25 % extra quantity of a commodity means cost price increases to 1.25c

s/1.25c = .8 s/c = (1- .2)s/c

Equivalent to discount of 20%

IMO B
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4098 [1]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
for the given info we need to determine the value of discount on the basic price but there is no change in the said qty of product being purchased
supposedly basic cost of item is $10 per unit so we can purchase 10 units of the same ( 1$ per item)
but now @ $10 we can buy 12.5 units
therefore we can say that the price per unit of item has now become ; 10/12.5 ; $0.8 from $1 ; net ∆ ; 1-.8/1 ; 20% discount
OPTION B

jahongirnorimov wrote:
25 % extra quantity of a commodity for the same price is equivalent to a discount of what percentage?

A) 15%
B) 20%
C) 25%
D) 30%
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [1]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
25% extra quantity of a commodity [#permalink]
Kudos
Since this is a percentage change question that doesn't give us any value, we can take 100 as our base value.

Let's say we buy a commodity of 100gm at the cost of $100 (i.e. $1 per gram).

But now we get 25% extra i.e. on 100gm we get an extra of 25% at the same cost. So now we get 125gms for $100.

On a normal day if we needed 125grm we would have spent $125. But since we only spend $100, we are basically given a discount. Now all we need to do is convert this statement in a mathematical one.

It's like saying, what is the percentage decrease on a bill of $125 if only $100 was paid. (IanStewart am I correct with this understanding)

So,
Initial Value = $125 (Original price of the commodity of 125gms)
Finial Value = $100 (Actual price paid for the commodity of 100gms)

Using the percentage decrease formula \(\frac{Initial value - Final value}{Initial value} \)\(* 100\) \(= ?\)

\(\frac{125 - 100}{125}\) \(* 100 \) \(= ?\)

= 20%

Tip: Generally there is a relationship between 25% and 20%. If we increase something by 25% we need to decrease the new value by 20% to get the original value back. If we decrease something by 20% we need to increase the new value by 25% to get the original value.

The above tip can be used in this work/rate question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/it-takes-10- ... 15907.html Notice how statement (1) is actually the same as statement (2)

garcmillan has given a very cool method to go about with it. Learnt something new :)

Originally posted by Hoozan on 14 Feb 2021, 00:00.
Last edited by Hoozan on 16 Feb 2021, 05:33, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 225
GRE 1: Q167 V162
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
garcmillan wrote:
Hi all,

This is a very good question that has to do with a percentage increase and a subsequent decrease to result in no change.

If we want to solve it quickly, we should know that the percentage increase would be different that its subsequent decrease to result in no change. For example:

X * 3/2 * 2/3 = X. The percentage increase is 3/2 = 150/100 = 50% and the decrease is 1-2/3 = 1/3 = 33.3%. As you see after applying a 50% increase and a subsequent 33.3% decrease, the value would still be the same (the percentages are different though)

So, basically this question is asking us to find the decrease percentage that would result in no change. The percentage increase is 25%, which is the same as multiplying the original value by 1.25 = 5/4. Therefore the decrease would be 4/5, which would be a percentage decrease of 1-4/5 = 1/5 = 20%

ANSWER B

Please remember this way to find percentage increase and subsequent percentage decrease to result in no change, as I believe it is pretty straightforward and easy to remember

Wow! This explanation is pretty cool and easy to remember.

Thanks Man!
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4690 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
jahongirnorimov wrote:

A) 15%
B) 20%
C) 25%
D) 30%

\(\frac{25}{(100+25)}*100 = 20%\), Answer must be (B)
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hoozan wrote:
(IanStewart am I correct with this understanding)

Yes, your understanding is perfect. Though as the question is written, it's really possible to justify two different answers:

jahongirnorimov wrote:

A) 15%
B) 20%
C) 25%
D) 30%

Say you buy 4 grams of zinc for $4. You're paying $1 per gram. If you instead get 25% more zinc, you're getting 5 grams for $4. So you're paying $0.80 per gram, which is 20% less than $1. So 20% is presumably the answer the question writer intends for the question. But in this precise situation, you were paying $4 to begin with, and you were paying $4 after you got the extra zinc. You haven't gotten a discount of any kind -- you've only gotten more zinc. So you could easily justify the answer "0%" here too, because the question doesn't tell you that it's asking for the discount *per gram* or *per unit* (or whatever would be the relevant way to measure the 'commodity' the question describes). So the question isn't worded precisely enough to be answerable, and you could justify answer B or answer E here depending on how you read it.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92948 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts