Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:18 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: 570 without studying and 1 month until test. 720 possible? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Nadir,

You're planning to apply to some really competitive Schools, so a high GMAT score is a must. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam that you CAN train for. Unfortunately, when it comes to these types of standardized tests, 'cramming' rarely leads to great results. There are effective ways to study over longer periods (again, in your case - 3 months) - and the suggestions that I would offer are based on that type of timeframe. I think that it's safe to say that you see the value in earning a degree from a Top Business School, so now you have to put in the necessary time and effort to assemble all of the necessary 'pieces' to your applications.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE:Science (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
I'm not going to say that it cannot be done. I went from scoring 590s on practice exams to a 640 to a 690 with a months effort altogether. I was lucky that I had all the free time in the world and a quiet place to study. You can do it, but be prepared to a) be seriously challenged and b) consider the possibility of writing the exam twice.

Here's how I would go about it:

Concentrate on Quant first, sounds like you have lots of room for improvement there. You already have a baseline so go ahead an buy Manhattan's GMAT set then start doing every book piece by piece. GMAT requires you to understand your concepts very well - it's not about how much you know but how well you know it and that's where Manhattan really helped me out. Going through bit by bit and ACTUALLY recognizing what I had learned over the past 24 years of my life was very important (I didn't realize that every number is basically formed by a few building blocks - prime numbers, until I started studying for this exam. Call it a damming review of my education or an oversight on my part, it's still a substantial difference in thinking). After you're done going through these books, you should have a decent base to attempt another round of practice. Here, you should get the GMAT Official Quant Guide, there are tons of relevant questions in there. Start going through them one by one. There are 200 I think. Do the first 100 without a timer and then go back and see where you messed up. Now make an error log (this website has a few examples) and start writing down the reason. Did you not understand the question, or was it a silly mistake? Also write the topic down. Now have a look and see what stands out. For me, it was overwhelmingly arithmetic mistakes and not reading the question properly. Eliminating these simple mistakes alone was probably worth 20-30 points.

Now, go through the next 100 questions AND TIME YOURSELF. Get into the habit of moving on from questions that you cannot solve - it'll hurt you in the end if you get stuck. Repeat the error logging process above. Now, get some practice CATs (included with Manhattan, some on this website and Kaplan has nice ones too) and solve those. I find the Manhattan ones to be harder than the actual tests so get used to being disappointed. Now review these questions again and see where you made the mistakes. Are there any topics that you STILL do not understand? Go back, review those and try another CAT. This process alone should take you 2 weeks.

Now for the Verbal section. I was fortunate here that I did not have to study too much. I read a lot of books and enjoy writing essays so much of it came together nicely for me. Unfortunately, here, you just have to start getting used to the nuances of the English language and reading more and more is very useful. But since you're pressed for time, that's not an option. Instead, you can rely on the Manhattan set (only 3 books for Verbal) and get a few basic concepts down. I would attack Sentence Correction first since the rules are straightforward to memorize and understand (concentrating on the subject when trying to decide between single vs. plural, using whether vs. if and so on). I would also recommend Aristotle's SC Grail, it's to the point and gives you plenty of pointers. Getting these down will also help you save time for comprehension reading, which is what I would look at next. Here, focusing properly and understanding the passage in one go is extremely useful as you can just go back to the question asked and instantly know which area to look at. Being able to understand the context is extremely important too. Practice makes perfect. Then comes Critical Reasoning, which I think is the hardest part of Verbal. You really have to tune your brain to think in a logical and objective manner and that takes some doing. Follow the examples you get in the books and try to use all the examples you can find. You will eventually catch on. This should ideally take you a week.

So that's 3 weeks gone. Now concentrate on getting as many practice CATs as possible and do them (do one a day) and then keep going back and reviewing your mistakes. Spare a day to review IR and AWA (a polished essay is always great when applying for an elite school). Save the two official tests on GMATPrep for last as they'll give you the most accurate estimate regarding your score (I scored a 710 the night before). Take plenty of breaks when you're studying, don't get distracted and don't overstress yourself. Can't solve anything? Fine, take a 20 minute break and get a snack. Play a game, or watch some TV, whatever it takes to relax your brain.

If you do this regularly, I'm quite sure you'll be able to boost your score by a substantial amount. It's honestly all about the effort and training your brain to think quickly. Put your head down and go for it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 339 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Nadir wrote:
Hello,

Two days ago I took an official GMAT practice test without studying and only a brief knowledge of the sections on the test. (I didn't even know what the data sufficiency section was!)

Score was as follows:
570 total
33Q (terrible)
35V
7IR (didn't finish)

That being said, I finished the Q and V sections extremely early and need to pace better.

Knowing this, what are some of the best strategies to get up to 720 in the month I have until the real test? So many plans I've found are for 2-3 month periods.

I just finished my junior year of undergrad and have lots of free time until I start an internship. So far I have set aside four hours/day six days per week for studying, but am probably going to add more after that performance. I've been using the GMAT official guides and GMATPrep software as well as GMAT Quantum free videos.

Should I add more time per day? Are there any resources I'm missing? Am I crazy? Any tips from the people who did it in a crunch like this?

Thanks.

590 to 720 in a month might be a rush. Your verbal seems fine for starters and a little more work will probably push it beyond 40. For quant there is a lot of work to be done. Since you had a lot of time left for the section, why not take a test again and see how you fare in quant if you spend more time per question. That would probably give a more realistic estimate of your current level.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for the replies. I took the GMATClub free Quant test yesterday and got a 41. The Manhattan set of 10 books is coming from Amazon today and I'll be using the quant ones extensively. Hopefully that and some solid studying can get me up to a good score. If I don't reach 720 by then, I'll take it in August and set my goal even higher.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
GRE 1: Q168 V156
Send PM
Nadir wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I took the GMATClub free Quant test yesterday and got a 41. The Manhattan set of 10 books is coming from Amazon today and I'll be using the quant ones extensively. Hopefully that and some solid studying can get me up to a good score. If I don't reach 720 by then, I'll take it in August and set my goal even higher.

Hi there,

I know someone personally that manage to increase his score by 130 in 30-40 days.

Your choice for MGMAT quant is really good in my opinion, it really covers up most of the concepts GMAT going to test, the best part of MGMAT 5 quant guides for me is their 25 free online question bank, if you understand the concepts from their quant questions, which tend to be more difficult that real GMAT, you will get 46-47+ quant easily.

While to improve further than 47-48 in quant, you will most likely need to understand the concepts on 700+ level question in GMATclub here. For verbal, I personally think e-gmat is really good, even if you just try their free trial it will help you understand some of the concepts for SC.

Your goal might be very difficult to achieve, but its not totally impossible I think. I believe each people has different framework from their previous education, if you have strong framework, it is not that impossible to achieve 700+ from 590 in around a month.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G935F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32950 [1]
Given Kudos: 5780
GPA: 3.62
Send PM