Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 01:27 It is currently 05 May 2024, 01:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 241
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 550 Q44 V21
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 241
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 550 Q44 V21
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GPA: 4
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1565 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
A solution contains 8 parts of water for every 7 parts of [#permalink]
x=fraction of solution replaced
8/15-8x/15+x=9/15
x=1/7
1/7*15=2.14 parts of solution replaced
C

Originally posted by gracie on 21 Dec 2015, 15:26.
Last edited by gracie on 10 Jun 2017, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Operations, Finance
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: A solution contains 8 parts of water for every 7 parts of [#permalink]
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
VSabc wrote:
It seems I took a completely different tangent here, can someone please help me:
Let there be total 15l of solution implying 8l water and 7l lemonade. Acc. to the problem, let's take off 'w'l from solution and add 'w'l of water implying:
(8+w)/(15-w)=0.6 solving which gives w=0.525
What's wrong here?

Here is the problem with your equation.

When you took out 'w' lt of solution, the water left is less than 8 lt. So how can total water after replacement be (8 + w) lts? It will 'something less than 8 + w' lts.
Also, the new solution after you replace with water is again 15 lts. So why would you have (15 - w) in the denominator?

Your equation should be

\(\frac{8 - (8/15)*w + w}{15} = 0.6\) (the fraction of water removed will be (8/15) of w)

\(8 + (7/15)*w = 9\)

\(w = 15/7\)

HI Karishma,

I am just wondering if we can apply scale method to this problem?! The reason is - we know desired %, we have relevant proportions of water & lemonade which can be converted into %
Or Is my approach not right?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65103 [0]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Expert Reply
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Though Bunuel and soumanag have already explained the solution well, I will add the method I like the most.

In replacement questions, focus on the thing that decreases. When solution is removed, water decreases but then water is added. While when solution is removed, lemonade decreases and does not get added later. So we will work with lemonade concentration.

The fraction of lemonade in the solution is 7/15
We need to get this fraction down to 2/5 (to make it 40%)
Let us say, we remove a fraction 'f' of the solution.
Then 7/15 - f * (7/15) = 2/5
f = 1/7
So (1/7)th of the solution has to be removed. But we want the answer in terms of parts (how many of the 15 parts have to be removed)
So we need to remove (1/7) * 15 = 2.14 parts

Responding to a pm:
Quote:
I did exactly what you did and arrived at the answer. But I have question regarding the wording. Is using "parts" here legit? I could easily arrive at f = 1/7. And then I thought to myself - "Okay, so 1 in every 7 total parts should be replaced", and then I was kind of blank for a while and then tried using 15 parts originally provided to solve it. Please explain..

Sure, the use of "parts" is fine. All measurements are in terms of the same "part". That part could 1 ml, 10 ml or 100 ml etc. There are total 15 of these parts in the solution.
When we get f = 1/7, f is the fraction of the solution removed. (1/7)th divides the whole solution into 7 equal parts and removes 1. These parts are not the same as the parts above. The total solution has 15 of the "parts" discussed above. Of these 15 parts, we remove 1/7th which is 2.14 "parts".
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1562 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
udaymathapati wrote:
A solution contains 8 parts of water for every 7 parts of Lemonade syrup. How many parts of the solution should be removed and replaced with water so that the solution will now contain 40% lemonade syrup?

A. 1.5
B. 1.75
C. 2.14
D. 2.34
E. 2.64

use C final = C initial (Volume original / volume final ) , final concentration is 40/100 , initial concentration is 7/15 , volume original is volume of the solution after removing part of it and before adding water to dilute it , V final is the total volume after replacing of x parts of the solution by x parts of water and thus total volume remains the same ( 15)

40/100 = 7/15 ( 15-x / 15 ) thus x = 15/7 = 2.14
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
y = amount removed from original = amount replaced with water
x = original amount

(8/15)x - (8/15)y + y = (3/5)x
(8/15)x + (7/15)y = (3/5)x
8x+7y = 9x
7y = x --> y = (1/7)x

There are 15 parts in the original --> so... 15/7 is our answer

C.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1525 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
A solution contains 8 parts of water for every 7 parts of [#permalink]
Expert Reply
udaymathapati wrote:
A solution contains 8 parts of water for every 7 parts of Lemonade syrup. How many parts of the solution should be removed and replaced with water so that the solution will now contain 40% lemonade syrup?

A. 1.5
B. 1.75
C. 2.14
D. 2.34
E. 2.64

1. (Initial quantity of solution- quantity of solution removed)* strength of solution + (Quantity of water added *strength of water)/ Initial quantity= 40/100
2. Let x be the initial quantity and y be the quantity removed
3.( (x-y)*7/15 + y*0) / x = 0.4, x/y=7/1
4. If initial quantity is 7 parts, 1 part is removed, if 15 parts 15/7=2.14
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
soumanag wrote:
Let the total solution is 150 L with 80 L water & 70 L syrup.

To make 40% syrup solution, the result solution must have 90 L syrup and 60 L syrup.

Therefore we are taking 10 L of syrup from initial solution and replacing with water.

using urinary method:
70 L syrup in 150 L solution
10 L syrup in 21.4 L solution

We started by multiplying 10
Now to get to the result we need to divide by 10 => amount of solution to be replaced with water = (21.4/10) = 2.14.

Correct option : C

Great solution. But I think you meant unitary method. ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Though Bunuel and soumanag have already explained the solution well, I will add the method I like the most.

In replacement questions, focus on the thing that decreases. When solution is removed, water decreases but then water is added. While when solution is removed, lemonade decreases and does not get added later. So we will work with lemonade concentration.

f = 1/7
So (1/7)th of the solution has to be removed. But we want the answer in terms of parts (how many of the 15 parts have to be removed)

VeritasKarishma : Can we do this with scaling method? I've tried it, but got stuck somewhere in the middle.

Taking lemonade syrup into consideration,

7/15.....................4/10............................0

got the ratio as 1:6, but not sure how to get to the answer from here.
Since this method is a real time saver i would love to know how can we solve this using this scaling method.

Please help.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65103 [0]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sreeragc wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:

f = 1/7

VeritasKarishma : Can we do this with scaling method? I've tried it, but got stuck somewhere in the middle.

Taking lemonade syrup into consideration,

7/15.....................4/10............................0

got the ratio as 1:6, but not sure how to get to the answer from here.
Since this method is a real time saver i would love to know how can we solve this using this scaling method.

Please help.

I have discussed the scale method for it here:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-solution-c ... l#p1624227
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:

f = 1/7

Hi,

Suppose if the solution is 30L then water = 16L and lemonade syrup = 14L
Also, we have to make the lemonade 40% of the solution.

so, (14-x)/30 = 40%
x = 2

What am I doing wrong? can you anyone please explain?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11673 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Krish728,

The 'key' this question is that since we're dealing with a mixture, you cannot simply remove "1 part water" or "1 part syrup" - whatever you remove is a mix of the two ingredients. Your equation assumes that you can 'pour out' pure syrup from the mixture - which you can't.

My explanation (higher up in the thread) assumed that there were 15 liters total, but the same approach can be used if there were 30 liters total:

The prompt tells us to REPLACE some of the existing mixture with pure water (with the goal of turning the new mixture into a 40% syrup mix.
To start, we have 30 total liters -->a mixture that is 16 liters water and 14 liters syrup.

If we pour 1 liter of this mixture into a glass, we would have a liquid that is 14/30 = 7/15 syrup (so a little less than half syrup).

For the mixture to be 30 total liters and 40% syrup, we need the mixture to be 18 liters water and 12 liters syrup. In basic math terms, we need to pour out enough of the mixture that we remove 2 full liters of syrup; when we pour an equivalent amount of water back in, we'll have 30 total liters (and 12 of them will be syrup). Since each liter is 7/15 syrup......

We need to remove (2)(15/7) = 30/7 liters and replace them with 30/7 liters of pure water.

30/7 is a little more than 4 liters (about 4.28 liters). Remember that the prompt talks about the number of "PARTS" that need to be replaced though (not the number of liters) - since you 'doubled' all of the numbers to start off with 30 liters, we then have to reduce the result (by dividing by 2) to get the correct answer. 4.28/2 = 2.14

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 826 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
Math Expert
93029 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts