It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 17:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to a survey of graduating medical students

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 65

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

According to a survey of graduating medical students [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2009, 17:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

According to a survey of graduating medical students conducted by the Association of American Medical Colleges, minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice in socioeconomically deprived areas.
(A) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice
(B) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than other graduates who plan on practicing
(C) minority graduates are nearly four times as likely as other graduates to plan on practicing
(D) it is nearly four times more likely that minority graduates rather than other graduates will plan to practice
(E) it is nearly four times as likely for minority graduates than other graduates to plan to practice

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2009
Posts: 166

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 5

Location: Tbilisi, Georgia
Re: Medical Students. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2009, 23:13
B doesn't have parallel strucutre" more X than Y
C 'as likely as' changes the meaning
D/E seems redundant and with errors
IMO A
_________________

Las cualidades del agua...porque el agua no olvida que su destino es el mar, y que tarde o temprano deberá llegar a él.

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 5

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2009
Posts: 810

Kudos [?]: 373 [0], given: 106

WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Re: Medical Students. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2009, 02:49
I am curious.

what is more likely?

more likely to practice
or more likely to plan on practicing

A implies ==> students are more likely (than ..) in planning to practice.

C seems to correctly implies => students are more likely (than ..) to plan on practicing.
but c has the usage of idiom 'as likely as'. Seems inappropriate, but seems better than A.

Explanation please? For me C is better than A.
_________________

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Kudos [?]: 373 [0], given: 106

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Feb 2008
Posts: 66

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 1

Re: Medical Students. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2009, 05:07
sudeep wrote:
I am curious.

what is more likely?

more likely to practice
or more likely to plan on practicing

A implies ==> students are more likely (than ..) in planning to practice.

C seems to correctly implies => students are more likely (than ..) to plan on practicing.
but c has the usage of idiom 'as likely as'. Seems inappropriate, but seems better than A.

Explanation please? For me C is better than A.


yes, as likely as is inappropriate but there's one major difference you should see here

This question says that X are more likely than Y to (plan/practice). Yep!

Situation-
If C were to read 'minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates to plan on practicing', it would have conveyed that X are more likely than Y to plan something

And A already conveys that X are more likely than Y to do something! (note that A says 'more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice')

SC is all about grammar and not about the content. As in A conveying in correct grammar that it is about doing something and C conveying in correct grammar that it is about planning would have us crashing for we can't decide on the business of a sentence!

In such a scenario, both the options would be correct and we would be hanging somewhere! It is only because C is so, we could choose A.
_________________

Is this okay?

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 1

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2009
Posts: 810

Kudos [?]: 373 [0], given: 106

WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Re: Medical Students. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2009, 06:14
I don't think that more likely than (..) in practicing is correct.
it has to be infinitive to plan
==> 'likely to do'(C) and not 'likely in'(A)

and after analyzing, I think as likely as is correct idiom here and is idiomatic.

Also, I think the answer is C and not A.

wats the OA?

paneer wrote:
sudeep wrote:
I am curious.

what is more likely?

more likely to practice
or more likely to plan on practicing

A implies ==> students are more likely (than ..) in planning to practice.

C seems to correctly implies => students are more likely (than ..) to plan on practicing.
but c has the usage of idiom 'as likely as'. Seems inappropriate, but seems better than A.

Explanation please? For me C is better than A.


yes, as likely as is inappropriate but there's one major difference you should see here

This question says that X are more likely than Y to (plan/practice). Yep!

Situation-
If C were to read 'minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates to plan on practicing', it would have conveyed that X are more likely than Y to plan something

And A already conveys that X are more likely than Y to do something! (note that A says 'more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice')

SC is all about grammar and not about the content. As in A conveying in correct grammar that it is about doing something and C conveying in correct grammar that it is about planning would have us crashing for we can't decide on the business of a sentence!

In such a scenario, both the options would be correct and we would be hanging somewhere! It is only because C is so, we could choose A.

_________________

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Kudos [?]: 373 [0], given: 106

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Feb 2008
Posts: 66

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 1

Re: Medical Students. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2009, 06:38
infinitive is present in A and it is to practice.

'in planning' modifies 'other graduates'. So effectively option A says other graduates in planning are more likely than ... to practice.

This is correct!
_________________

Is this okay?

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 May 2009
Posts: 209

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 2

Re: Medical Students. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2009, 06:54
chalven wrote:
According to a survey of graduating medical students conducted by the Association of American Medical Colleges, minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice in socioeconomically deprived areas.
(A) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice
(B) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than other graduates who plan on practicing
(C) minority graduates are nearly four times as likely as other graduates to plan on practicing
(D) it is nearly four times more likely that minority graduates rather than other graduates will plan to practice
(E) it is nearly four times as likely for minority graduates than other graduates to plan to practice


Its difficult to figure out that 'in planning' has been used as a modifier.
and other options make it all the more difficult ---- 'to plan', 'will plan'.
However, 'as likely as' sounds unidiomatic and A can be the answer only if we assume that 'in planning' is used as modifier.
Its still a bit dicey....I am not sure on this one.
_________________

I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 65

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

Re: Medical Students. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2009, 11:00
The OA is C.

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Feb 2008
Posts: 66

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 1

Re: Medical Students. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2009, 11:58
chalven wrote:
The OA is C.


oh! where's this from? have any OE?
_________________

Is this okay?

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 255

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 1

Re: Medical Students. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2009, 12:42
I think thats the wrong OA...I can spot so many errors in C such as verb tense, comparison etc...I feel A is the answer...Does anybody disagrees???

chalven wrote:
The OA is C.

_________________

Choose Life

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2008
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Medical Students. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2009, 07:00
My first post!
IMO, C is clearly the correct answer.

- "Four times as likely as" is idomatic and correct! Think of "I'm twice as old as my brother". I also think that "twice older than" for instance would be incorrect.
- "to be likely TO DO something". I'm pretty sure there's no other way.
- " to plan ON DOING something". Again, it is the correct idiom.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 May 2009
Posts: 14

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Medical Students. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2009, 07:17
I will go for C.

'likely' already means 'more', there is a redundancy.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 10 Feb 2009
Posts: 27

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Location: Connecticut
Re: Medical Students. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2009, 19:12
Why would you choice C over E... ?? Thanks guys :)

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 801

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 0

Re: Medical Students. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2009, 19:51
Allana25 wrote:
Why would you choice C over E... ?? Thanks guys :)


you have to say "as likely as" because it's the correct idiom

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Posts: 45

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Medical Students. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2009, 20:21
chalven wrote:
According to a survey of graduating medical students conducted by the Association of American Medical Colleges, minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice in socioeconomically deprived areas.
(A) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice
(B) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than other graduates who plan on practicing
(C) minority graduates are nearly four times as likely as other graduates to plan on practicing
(D) it is nearly four times more likely that minority graduates rather than other graduates will plan to practice
(E) it is nearly four times as likely for minority graduates than other graduates to plan to practice


I think more likely than is not idiomatic
as likely as after four times more is clear, so C is correct

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 65

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

Re: Medical Students. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2009, 16:24
OA is "C."

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Sep 2009
Posts: 97

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Re: Medical Students. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2009, 04:12
According to a survey of graduating medical students conducted by the Association of American Medical Colleges, minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice in socioeconomically deprived areas.
(A) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice
(B) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than other graduates who plan on practicing
(C) minority graduates are nearly four times as likely as other graduates to plan on practicing
(D) it is nearly four times more likely that minority graduates rather than other graduates will plan to practice
(E) it is nearly four times as likely for minority graduates than other graduates to plan to practice

B and C plan to is the correct idiom
D and E it is ... is awkward construction

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Re: Medical Students.   [#permalink] 01 Nov 2009, 04:12
Display posts from previous: Sort by

According to a survey of graduating medical students

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.