Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 00:01 It is currently 04 May 2024, 00:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [49]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28594 [7]
Given Kudos: 130
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [7]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4550 [1]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Re: Although the rise in incidence of the disease has fueled fears for a [#permalink]
Kudos
A. has fueled fears for a full blown epidemic progressing - Incorrect. Illogical. 'fear for' is not suitable in the given context.

B. fueled fears that a full blown epidemic is progressing - Incorrect. Tense error.

C. had fueled fears for a full blown epidemic in progress - Incorrect. Same error as in A.

D. has fueled fears that a full blown epidemic is in progress - Correct.

E. fueled fears of how a full blown epidemic is in progress - Incorrect. Awkward.

Answer: D
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4696 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: Although the rise in incidence of the disease has fueled fears for a [#permalink]
Mo2men wrote:
Although the rise in incidence of the disease has fueled fears for a full blown epidemic progressing, the Surgeon General assured the reporters that his large-scale treatment plan would bring the spread of the disease under control.

A. has fueled fears for a full blown epidemic progressing
B. fueled fears that a full blown epidemic is progressing
C. had fueled fears for a full blown epidemic in progress
D. has fueled fears that a full blown epidemic is in progress
E. fueled fears of how a full blown epidemic is in progress

Although the rise in incidence of the disease has fueled fears that a full blown epidemic is in progress, the Surgeon General assured the reporters that his large-scale treatment plan would bring the spread of the disease under control.

Correct answer must be (D) for the correct usage of S-V agreement usage...
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28594 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mo2men wrote:
Although the rise in incidence of the disease has fueled fears for a full blown epidemic progressing, the Surgeon General assured the reporters that his large-scale treatment plan would bring the spread of the disease under control.

I'm happy to respond to this thread, as I am the author of this question. :-)

This is hard question. Only about 59% of Magoosh students get this right: KeepCalmAdi, viditmalhotra89 , Vyshak, and Abhishek009 all have nailed this tough question. Congratulations!

Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 509
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
how can the fear fueling happen in present perfect, and the assuring happen in past? has fueled fears.... the surgeon general assured???? This does not make sense, can experts pitch in please?

Oreo
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Hi!

Can sombody explain to me why A is wrong? IMO, "progressing" correctly modifies the preceding noun "epidemic".

Many thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Mo2men wrote:
leanhdung wrote:
Hi!

Can sombody explain to me why A is wrong? IMO, "progressing" correctly modifies the preceding noun "epidemic".

Many thanks!

here you need to look to 2 things:

Verb tense which is great in A but the idiom 'fear for' is wrong.

the below explained by Mitch (GMAT instructor)

X fears for Y.
Conveyed meaning:
X believes that Y is in danger.
Mary fears for John.
Conveyed meaning:
Mary believes that John is in danger.

X has a fear of Y.
Conveyed meaning:
Y scares X.
Mary has a fear of flying.
Conveyed meaning:
The act of flying scares Mary.

X fears that Y.
Conveyed meaning:
X is worried that the event described in the that-clause has happened, is happening, or will happen.
Mary fears that John will be late.
Conveyed meaning:
Mary is worried that John will be late.

So the meaning of 'fear for' in choice A is nonsensical.

I hope it helps

Yeah, I got this point!

Can you explain why B wrong? Is is because we use simple past tense and simple progressive tense simultaneously in the same clause?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15276 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
leanhdung wrote:
Mo2men wrote:
leanhdung wrote:
Hi!

Many thanks!

here you need to look to 2 things:

Verb tense which is great in A but the idiom 'fear for' is wrong.

the below explained by Mitch (GMAT instructor)

X fears for Y.
Conveyed meaning:
X believes that Y is in danger.
Mary fears for John.
Conveyed meaning:
Mary believes that John is in danger.

X has a fear of Y.
Conveyed meaning:
Y scares X.
Mary has a fear of flying.
Conveyed meaning:
The act of flying scares Mary.

X fears that Y.
Conveyed meaning:
X is worried that the event described in the that-clause has happened, is happening, or will happen.
Mary fears that John will be late.
Conveyed meaning:
Mary is worried that John will be late.

So the meaning of 'fear for' in choice A is nonsensical.

I hope it helps

Yeah, I got this point!

Can you explain why B wrong? Is is because we use simple past tense and simple progressive tense simultaneously in the same clause?

No, using simple past and past continuous tense simultaneously is not the issue - the problem is with the simple past tense itself. The effect of fueling fear is still there, hence present perfect is better than simple past.

(Note: there is no tense called "simple progressive" - either it is simple or progressive, but cannot be both.)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Sales (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Mo2men wrote:

QA : D , that brings a clause , which refers to diseases and the idiom "is in progress" , I also reviewed option B , as there is a verb error , plus verb+ing , is not parallel with the sentence.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5652 [3]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks

Magoosh Official Explanation:

Split #1: verb tense. The rise in cases of this disease is something that happened in the past, and may still be happening—that's unclear. Either the simple past "fueled" or present perfect "has fueled" could be correct—choices (A) & (B) & (D) & (E) have these. The past perfect would be correctly only if we wanted to establish contrast with another past event, but that doesn't make sense in this context: it changes the meaning too much. The past perfect "had fueled" is incorrect—choice (C) makes this mistake.

Also, the progressive tense in (B) is awkward: it's almost redundant to use the progressive tense to say that something "is progressing." Choice (B) is wrong.

Split #2: idiom with "fear."

When we are afraid of something happening, we need to use that: "the fear that X will do this."
When we are afraid of a single noun, we use of: "fear of flying", "fear of spiders", etc.
When we are afraid on behalf of something for which we have concern, then we use for: "I fear for my life", "I fear for the future of their marriage", etc.

Here, what is feared is the "full blown epidemic" and the fact that it may already be underway. Here, the "for" construction is entirely incorrect: choices (A) & (C) make this mistake and are incorrect. The "of" construction in (E) is acceptable. The other two choices have "that" clauses, which are correct.

These two splits leave us with (D) and (E). Choice (D) is sleek, elegant, and powerfully direct. Choice (E) is a dismally colloquial phrasing that does not stand up to logical analysis and would not bear examination in any respectable source of writing. Choice (E) is a complete disaster and is incorrect. Choice (D) is the best answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM

MartyMurray

I can understand "D" is correct. But option C seems correct as well

the action "fueled fears" occurs before "assured". Don't we require to maintain a sequence of tenses??

I am not debating option D but i wanted to know why C is incorrect?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5141 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
Prateek176 wrote:

MartyMurray

the action "fueled fears" occurs before "assured". Don't we require to maintain a sequence of tenses??

As you noticed, the tenses of "had fueled" and "assured" in the version created via the use of choice C work well together.

Nevertheless, C is not effective because "had fueled fears for a full blown epidemic in progress" does not convey a logical meaning.

The expression "fear for" conveys that the subject is concerned about the object.

Example: Jim feared for Andrea's health.

The above example conveys that Jim is concerned about Andrea's health.

It would not make sense to fear for a full blown epidemic in progress. To "fear for an epidemic in progress" is to be concerned for the well being of an epidemic in progress.

Thus, the sentence version created via the use of choice C conveys a nonsensical meaning.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 934 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Mo2men wrote:

I love Magoosh questions , albeit legit ones.m(I'm learning the usage of "albeit " , so correct me if I'm wrong

Meaning - there is a rise in incidence of Dis >> this rise has fueled fears >> what fears?epidemic progressing >> BUT even with this situation , a surgeon say CHILL bro , my treatment would control the spread .

Split 1 : fears "for " - the fears ARE of epidem ... the epidem is not afraid.... fears for literally means epidem has fears ...
A & C gone...

split 2: fueled vs had fueled vs has fueled : the rise is still ongoing and it continues to instill fear .... the disease started to rise and is still rising and correspondingly fueling fears ... present perfect " action started in past and still continues ... so we need " has fueled "
B & E gone...

D is the best
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
daagh. Please share your view. I am still adamant that the first sentence should have past perfect. I also understand that no other choices are satisfactory and that could make D as the best answer.

Just for the sake of understanding, wouldn't "had fueled fears that a full blown epidemic is in progress " be a better option? Besides, what does "is" signify here?

For example,
He told me that he is smart - conveys the meaning that he is always smart.
He told me that he was working- conveys the meaning that he worked in the past. He is not working anymore.

So is the endemic always progressing? shouldn't we use was here?

Thanks
Darshak
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42107 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Darshak
Mike has already clarified about this point. Let's be guided by his views.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 198 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
Prateek176 wrote:

MartyMurray

As you noticed, the tenses of "had fueled" and "assured" in the version created via the use of choice C work well together.

Nevertheless, C is not effective because "had fueled fears for a full blown epidemic in progress" does not convey a logical meaning.

The expression "fear for" conveys that the subject is concerned about the object.

Example: Jim feared for Andrea's health.

The above example conveys that Jim is concerned about Andrea's health.

It would not make sense to fear for a full blown epidemic in progress. To "fear for an epidemic in progress" is to be concerned for the well being of an epidemic in progress.

Thus, the sentence version created via the use of choice C conveys a nonsensical meaning.

Why are we eliminating C?
Past perfect or fear for ? or both
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts