GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 May 2019, 18:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Applying to 1st Choice School - Which round?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
G
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q49 V35
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Applying to 1st Choice School - Which round?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 03:29
I am preparing my b-school application strategy during the coming few days and I was wondering when would be the best round to apply for my number 1 choice...

Round 1 application:

- Decision dates are posted sooner (around end of year) so if I got admitted I would forget about Round 2 applications, saving me time, money and effort.
- The sooner I get admitted, the longer time I have to prepare for accommodation, travel, settling in etc.
- Higher chances of scholarship $$$

Round 2 application:

- The only benefit (that I can think of) that comes with applying later in the application cycle is the ability to fine tune the essays, learn from previous mistakes, and practice taking interviews.

What do you guys think? any advice from someone who has already gone through this process?

|
|
|
V
Current Student
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 550 Q37 V28
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 650 Q44 V35
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V32
GMAT 5: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.33
Reviews Badge
Re: Applying to 1st Choice School - Which round?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 04:49
I think if you are from an over represented demographic, round 1 will give you a better chance. Last year I heard that by round 1 MIT already accepted 90% of the seats for Indian candidates. Despite the overall acceptance rate being the same, demographic wise, the earlier you apply, the more seats you have a chance at getting.

If you feel that you are not ready for round 1, I see no harm applying during round 2 too. I applied during round 2 but I didn't have the luxury of applying round 1 due to my GMAT score. I got scholarship at several schools as well so i doubt that there are any significant different in term of chances.
Applying to 1st Choice School - Which round?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 15 Jul 2017, 11:38
SUPERSARS wrote:
I am preparing my b-school application strategy during the coming few days and I was wondering when would be the best round to apply for my number 1 choice...

Round 1 application:

- Decision dates are posted sooner (around end of year) so if I got admitted I would forget about Round 2 applications, saving me time, money and effort.
- The sooner I get admitted, the longer time I have to prepare for accommodation, travel, settling in etc.

Round 2 application:

- The only benefit (that I can think of) that comes with applying later in the application cycle is the ability to fine tune the essays, learn from previous mistakes, and practice taking interviews.

What do you guys think? any advice from someone who has already gone through this process?

With atleast a month and a half to go before deadlines, you still have time to prepare a solid application and simultaneously prep for interviews. There is no advantage applying in Round 2, unless you are expecting a personal/professional outcome that will significantly enhance your application in R2.
Go for the kill, NOW!

Ask us for a FREE DING/REJECT ANALYSIS

Originally posted by MBADecoder on 15 Jul 2017, 05:23.
Last edited by MBADecoder on 15 Jul 2017, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.
Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
S
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 10:39
Hi there,

Assuming that all of the pieces of the application are in place (GMAT/GRE, extracurriculars, etc.), and you are able to put your best foot forward, then I would suggest applying in Round 1 since all of the spots are available at that point. However, if there are certain elements of the application that are not as strong as they can be, then it is better to wait until Round 2. Essentially, given how competitive the process is, you want your candidacy to be as strong as possible when you apply. I hope this helps!

Best,
Shaifali
(HBS Grad/MBA Admissions Expert)

Blog: https://www.ivygroupe.com/blog
Email: info@ivygroupe.com
Phone: 646.801.5190

Click here for GMAT Club Reviews!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Schools: Wharton

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 00:46
Hi SUPERSARS,

As said in the above comments, if you’re in a position to turn in your best application in R1, go for it. Applying in R1 can potentially be advantageous for applicants from less-represented backgrounds - demographically of professionally – because schools may take just few applicants from such backgrounds. However, in general, odds aren't too different in R2.

Contact at anil@99colleges.com for your queries | Consulting
MBA Admissions Consultant
P
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 04:33
SUPERSARS wrote:

Round 1 application:

Round 2 application:

I would say that the only reason to go for a round 2 application is if something will change significantly between the two rounds for you. If not, and the application will basically be the same no matter in which of the rounds you apply, round 1 is always preferable.

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720 or low GPAs

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young - https://aringo.com/aringo-mba-admission-statistics/
Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: Coaching

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 10:27
Traditionally, R2 has the highest number of applicants. If you can "stick out" with comprehensive credentials R1 is the best bet.

If this response helped you, please give the post a KUDOS!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Applying to 1st Choice School - Which round?   [#permalink] 16 Jul 2017, 10:27

Applying to 1st Choice School - Which round?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap