Last visit was: 10 May 2024, 02:19 It is currently 10 May 2024, 02:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8833 [16]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Accounting, Leadership
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [1]
Given Kudos: 233
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GPA: 3.5
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: As Internet marketing has matured, it has driven two trends:a narrower [#permalink]
Kudos
Can someone please explaing Q5:
According to the passage, advertisers typically can obtain data that estimates each of the following EXCEPT:

(A) the number of people watching a company’s television commercial
(B) the ratio of women to men watching a company’s television commercial
(C) the dollar amount of online purchases made by a consumer arriving at a company’s website through a pay-per-click advertisement
(D) the rate charged for a specific pay-per-click advertisement
(E) the cost of fraud associated with Internet marketing

I marked (B) because I did not see a way by which advertisers could obtain stats regarding the ratio of women to men watching a TV commercial.
There is no mention of the COST of fraud associated with internet marketing. This was also in my mind. B/w (B) and (E), I finally picked (B).
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33502 [0]
Given Kudos: 5787
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: As Internet marketing has matured, it has driven two trends:a narrower [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

5. According to the passage, advertisers typically can obtain data that estimates each of the following EXCEPT:

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

The passage mentions various ways that advertisers can measure the effectiveness of their advertising campaigns. The correct answer choice will identify a piece of data that, based on the information in the passage, is not something that companies can clearly ascertain.

(A) The passage states that “a company might use viewership ratings to get general data about the size and demographics of the audience for its commercials.” Thus, a company can clearly get an estimate of the number of people watching one of its commercials.

(B) The passage states that “a company might use viewership ratings to get general data about the size and demographics of the audience for its commercials.” Gender is a basic demographic measure. Thus, a company should be able to get an estimate of the female vs. male viewership for a particular commercial.

(C) Web analytic technology allows companies to track “a consumer’s online behavior and determine the exact amount of any online purchases made.” The passage mentions this in the context of its discussion of pay-per-click advertisements. Thus, a company can determine if a consumer arrives at its website from a pay-per-click ad and then track that consumer’s purchases.

(D) A company is “charged only when a consumer clicks on the” pay-per-click ad. Thus, the company can see the exact dollar amount it is charged for a specific pay-per-click advertisement.

(E) CORRECT. The passage states that fraud is one factor that renders “Internet marketing more costly than some companies realize.” The passage never states that companies can measure the cost of this fraud. Moreover, the fact that companies fail to recognize fraud as a major cost suggests that they likely do not have accessible data that would provide them with a way to measure this.

Answer: E

Hope it helps

aditya590550 wrote:
Can someone please explaing Q5:
According to the passage, advertisers typically can obtain data that estimates each of the following EXCEPT:

(A) the number of people watching a company’s television commercial
(B) the ratio of women to men watching a company’s television commercial
(C) the dollar amount of online purchases made by a consumer arriving at a company’s website through a pay-per-click advertisement
(D) the rate charged for a specific pay-per-click advertisement
(E) the cost of fraud associated with Internet marketing

I marked (B) because I did not see a way by which advertisers could obtain stats regarding the ratio of women to men watching a TV commercial.
There is no mention of the COST of fraud associated with internet marketing. This was also in my mind. B/w (B) and (E), I finally picked (B).
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 416 [0]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
4. The third paragraph of the passage serves to

(A) point out possible disadvantages of Internet advertising
I think 3rd paragraph mentions limitations which are not disadvantages. Are you saying that limitation and disadvantage are same in meaning. I think, No.

(B) demonstrate the cost-effectiveness of Internet advertising
Sure, it talks about cost effectiveness. Because of hidden limitations, it is not cost effective.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 211
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: LBS '22 (I)
GMAT 1: 590 Q42 V30
GMAT 2: 670 Q46 V36
GPA: 2.6
Send PM
Can someone pls point out why E is wrong for Q.2?

Thanks
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33502 [1]
Given Kudos: 5787
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmatapprentice wrote:
Can someone pls point out why E is wrong for Q.2?

Thanks

Official Explanation

2. The author of the passage would be most likely to agree with which of the following statements?

Difficulty Level: 650

Explanation

The author of the passage presents the information in a fairly objective manner. In the first paragraph, the author describes recent advertising trends. Then the author uses the second paragraph to detail some benefits of these trends before using the final paragraph to specify some disadvantages. Since the author’s tone in the passage is descriptive rather than prescriptive (that is, the author never offers her opinion about the trends), the correct answer should shy away from strong opinions.

(A) The word “only” renders this choice incorrect. The author, while clearly aware of the benefits of advertising to targeted consumer groups, never states that companies should invest “only” in this type of advertising. In fact, the author references “brand awareness” as one of the potential benefits of less directly targeted advertising.

(B) The author never discusses whether traditional advertising outlets, in and of themselves, are worth the cost for large companies. The passage focuses on comparing traditional outlets to Internet advertising but it never stakes a claim about the intrinsic cost-benefit of traditional advertising.

(C) The total actual marketing dollars spent by companies is not mentioned in the passage. The author never discusses how pay-per-click advertising will effect a companies total expenditures; instead, the author focuses on the benefits and disadvantages of different types of advertising.

(D) CORRECT. The passage states that “many companies are now moving their marketing dollars away from traditional advertising outlets towards Internet-based campaigns that can target specific consumer groups and quantify the return on marketing investments.” Thus, the author clearly views effective measurement as one of the key advantages that Internet-based campaigns have over traditional advertising outlets.

(E) The passage never compares the actual costs of Internet vs. traditional ads. While the author discusses relative value and cost-effectiveness, a strict comparison of actual cost is never made.

Answer: D
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 685 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
tanokosohana wrote:
Can someone give some more details and explanations?

Hi tanokosohana,

Could you be more specific about the question in which you are facing the issue.

thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 43
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V31
Send PM
Can someone explain Q3 E option?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 849 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
14016 posts