Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 23:01 It is currently 09 May 2024, 23:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball [#permalink]
Kudos
Ophelia wrote:
Hello,

I would like to thank you in advance for doing this. I am not completely convinced that an MBA would be right choice for me. But anyway I would like to gauge where my candidacy stands against my peers for business schools.

<<snip>>

My career choice post-MBA is the same as now which is 1) Larger VC firm; 2) Investment fund focused on Consumer/tech/retail; 3) Tech strategy F500. I would like to stay in Asia for work.

Thanks for your evaluation and comments.

Ophelia,

Consider the following points:
  1. If you aren't sure of MBA, pickup a copy of Sameer's book, Beyond the MBA Hype - maybe that'll give you a firmer idea.
  2. Your experience sounds fantastic to say it mildly. Your experience as well as career acceleration is distinctive and will clearly help you stand apart from the crowd - not just of Indian applicants, but in general as well. Your goal seem fine though it'll be ideal to one of the three - all three are possible. So go with what you 'really' want to do.
  3. The GMAT might be slight hurdle, especially at top schools. If you think you can bump it up 30+ points, a re-take may be worth considering. Will go well with your good GPAs
  4. Finally, I am not sure I quite follow your school logic. If you are talking of not going for 2 year programs, why Kellogg/Cornell? You meant to target the 1 year programs there? With your profile, I would still recommend going for the really top ones. For reasons mentioned here, tough to suggest specific names, but don't dilute the brands you go for.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,
Director
Director
Send PM
Kudos
GODSBENEDICTION wrote:
Hi

I am a typical Indian IT Male with following profile. Request for evaluation:

Education:

1. ICSE [10th] - 88%

<<snip>>

3. Any relevant advice

Many thanks for taking time out. Really appreciate!

Regards

A few reflections on your profile and questions GODSBENEDICTION:
  1. Your profile evolution looks pretty good. Moving from a test role into a BA position is not common and should help you differentiate well. Even so, the move into Consulting after MBA needs to be explained a bit better. What kind of consulting for instance. It will also be important to understand the nature of brands you've been associated with.
  2. For reasons mentioned here, we do not speculate on school selection. Purely from an age/experience perspective, it would be prudent to consider the likes of IMD, IIMs and maybe Judge.
  3. Higher the better is really the mantra on GMAT. If you need a target, aim for 20+ points higher than a given school's average to be away from harm's way ideally. Again, no set rules here; read this.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Hi ,
I have a low GMAT score of 640 ( tried multiple times but unable to improve) .I want to apply to one year MBA programs but am not sure what options do I have with this score.
I have around 7 years of experience in IT. 4.3 years with an Indian MNC . Currently working in Abu Dhabi,UAE as a Project Coordinator for the implementation of a school management software in an international school.
I am looking for an MBA to accelerate my career in IT consulting and to follow a career path of a Business Analyst.I am searching for programs in India or abroad.
Please let me know if I have some options with this score and how should I proceed from here.
Director
Director
Send PM
Kudos
Pradeeps0013 wrote:
Hello,

Please evaluate my profile for 2019 class of ISB.

I am an Automobile Engineer, currently working with BEML Limited (A Ministry of Defense Undertaking) as Assistant Manager- After Sales Service and would have a total work experience of 7 years by March'2018 of which 4 years in Marketing (after sales services) and 3 years in design and development.

<<snip>>

Please suggest me some additional courses or activities which I may indulge myself in to upgrade my profile and boost my chances of selection for 2019 batch.

I really appreciate the time you would take out to evaluate my profile. Thank you in advance.

Consider the following points Pradeep:

1. The overall work profile looks pretty solid and especially the transition from design to sales - if that is not a common one, you need to bring it out better since only one promotion may not look stellar.
  2. The GMAT retake will definitely be good to ensure no potential pitfalls.
  3. You don't need certificates if you've done more stuff - so do bring those out as well. Read here why ECs matter. So do something more recent on this aspect, something that connects with your interests/hobbies in the past too and not just a flash in the pan.
  4. The target programs look about right; the 3 IIMs will be ideal. Do think about the post-MBA plan in a more granular manner and make sure you have a well connected story prepared.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Kudos
Studying in India vs Studying Abroad: Differences, Challenges and Opportunities

"Studying here empowers you to be independent and teaches you to stop at nothing. It also provides you the means and ways to achieve your dreams", says University of South Florida student Shrivardhan Rao.

In this article, he highlights the differences based on his experiences as a student in India and USA. Read more...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
MG4MBACrystalBall wrote:
Life2019 wrote:
Dear Experts,

I request you to kindly evaluate my profile for MILR from Cornell University. However, I have listed a few more programs for backup though I’m interested only in MILR, Cornell University.

Programs Interested in: Full-time MBA / MS or Specialized Masters in HR
1. Tier-1 Schools

>>snip

Will I have to retake the GMAT or my present score is competitive enough?

Thanking in advance :)

Thanks for the detailed note Life2019. Consider the following points:
  1. Your profile looks pretty diverse overall. The association with consulting as well as government initiatives can be showcased really well. The recent work around Talent Acq and the likes is definitely in the broader spectrum of HR so I wouldn't completely negate it.
  2. While am sure you'd have done your research, but in general, HR roles are pretty tough to break into for international grads even after specialized programs such as these. The situation will be tougher given lack of direct experience in your case. Besides, most/lot of these programs are designed for those with 0-2 years of experience ideally which would make you a bit of an outlier (?).
  3. In light of above, while I don't see a big hurdle (with a revised score) in your application attempt, I'd suggest doing extensive research to ensure you have assessed the pitfalls outlined. IR scores are still not considered by most programs; but best to double check once with your target schools/programs.

Hope this sparks some more relevant questions.

Cheers,

Thanks Manish for your reply.
I have spoken to 3-4 alumni/present students from MILR, Cornell University who have also done their 1st MBA/PGDM(HR) from India before pursuing MILR, Cornell.
Most of these students come with (0-10) years of experience excluding their Indian Education (Bachelors + Masters). I have tried to seek answers to almost all concerns/queries which had cropped up during my research wrt my career goals wrt the program.
Please let me know MBACrystalBall contact details to speak to you directly and proceed ahead. I was keen on applying for the Spring entry - 15th October deadline. Thanks :)
Director
Director
Send PM
Kudos
SimbaJSK wrote:
Hello and Happy New Year!

If you could spare the time to evaluate my profile, it would be greatly appreciated! Any and all feedback and comments are welcome.

<<snip>>

Reach: HBS, Stanford, Wharton, MIT, Booth, Columbia
Target: Kellogg, Haas, Ross, Stern

Thanks in advance.

SimbaJSK, a few thoughts on your profile evaluation:
  1. The academic pedigree certainly helps. Where did the GPA put you, relatively in the class? The GMAT score will be a good one to go with it. A higher score always helps but don't break your head too much on it.
  2. The professional profile sounds ok. However, it would be important to understand the actual work, achievements and differentiation therein. Aero is not a big feeder industry and since you have started early, will be good to explore other avenues.
  3. While consulting is ok, PM may not necessarily be so - unless your firm hires MBA grads for such roles; usually rare.
  4. You haven't mentioned anything on the ECs front. Here is why ECs matter in your MBA application.

For folks in your situation, we usually suggest a deep dive for Profile Building. So, check it out.

Cheers,
Director
Director
Send PM
Kudos
stuggle wrote:
Thanks for the prompt response, MG. Your insights are helpful.

1. I did my undergrad from HR College in Bombay.

<<snip>>

Thank you once again for taking the time out and sharing some useful advice!

stuggle, HR college is good pedigree.

The move from Citi to a no-name startup is pretty drastic indeed. Usually, one would make such a move but to a late stage one. The rationale provided by you won't cut it fully so work on that too.

Financial planning, unlikely and too informal - nothing stops anyone from claiming to have done that too, right?

Work on that post-MBA pitch more. Feel free to reach out directly for more discussion.

Cheers,
Director
Director
Send PM
Kudos
A day in the life of a consultant

Management consulting remains one of the most sought after jobs for top MBA grads globally.

Most consultants would say that there is no such thing as a 'typical day' in their lives. However, there are some things more or less common between the work days of a consultant.

In this blog, we try to give you a glimpse of that.

Want to know more? Read here
Director
Director
Send PM
Kudos
PSUTOPRIVATE wrote:
Hi Pradeep,
With a GMAT score of 690 and a PSU background, you have a good chance of getting interview calls from the top IIMs and ISB. You can try the free profile evaluation tool to get a better picture - https://form.jotform.com/201452400984046

For more information regarding MBA and career switch from PSU to Private sector check the free resources at https://psutoprivate.com/.
All the best!

Hello team PSUTOPRIVATE,

Welcome to GMAT Club!

This is a private thread maintained by MBA Crystal Ball. As a general courtesy, consulting teams that are active here don't post on another team's private threads.

Of course, there's no issue while replying to queries posted by candidates on independent threads.

Good luck!
Director
Director
Send PM
Kudos
arnab2312 wrote:
Dear Team,

I am in dire need of some advice. Can someone do a basic Profile Review for me:

Name: Arnab
Nationality: Indian

<<snip>>

Looking for HEC Paris and LBS.

Please let me know if I stand a chance with a 750 above GMAT score.

arnab2312, a few thoughts on your profile evaluation:
  1. The academic profile is good given the WBUT pedigree and the solid GPA - don't convert unless schools ask for it. The L1 is ok, though L2 has more weight. However, at this stage of your career, not likely to have much weight. Eventually depends on your career plans though. Overall, with a 750 range score, the academic arc will be solid.
  2. The professional profile is highly eclectic not just in your last two endeavors but prior to it too. While schools love diversity of experiences, but you have to make sure to connect the dots well which is not very clear at the moment. In that context, 'going back to corporate' is also a weak argument - think about how you'll convince future recruiters to understand your story, and still present a strong candidature. This part would really be a make or break. MBA after 30 can be tricky - so do bear that in mind too.
  3. For reasons mentioned here, we don't speculate on school selection or chances. That being said, European schools value international experience. So bear that in mind.
  4. The volunteer and other efforts will come in handy to show the richness in your personality - make sure to use those well.

Hope this helps some. Do feel free to reach out directly for further discussions or queries.

Cheers,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Interesting. Hope this idea works out for your venture.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Send PM
skipjames wrote:
Interesting. Hope this idea works out for your venture.

Thanks, Skip, for your kind words.

The profile evaluation and B-school shortlisting report is available for non-Indian candidates as well.

Our US-based partners (a well-respected team that you'd be familiar with) are offering a customized version of this tool for American and International candidates.

They have the expertise and the experience to help out candidates with diverse backgrounds - including busy working professionals (I just read your self-introduction) who need a little help in validating and structuring their application strategy.

They are offering it at an introductory price.

If this sounds interesting, drop me a PM after you get your GMAT score and I could hook you up with that team.

Good luck with your GMAT prep (crack that quant) and the rest of your application process, Skip. Hope you succeed in getting all that you are striving for, and more.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
HI Sameer,

Yes , i am looking ouside India as well. Here's my profile. Please have a look at my profile and suggest :

-Male/29/Indian/IT(Embedded Domain)

GMAT: not yet. But targeting 740-750

Education:
1. PG diploma in Embedded systems
2. BTech in Electronics and Communcations(College Topper)
3. UG 3 & 1/2 Yrs Diploma in Electronics and Communcations(College Topper)

UG is 3 and half year regular full time course with last half year as full time practical training/work at company.
Btech is 4 year full time course with 10 weeks of regular training/work at company

WorkEx:
6 yrs as of today.

Highlight:
1. Patent Holder.
2. Six Sigma Green Belt Holder for Quality.
3. Project Management and Lead 2 yrs experience
4. Award for another Six Sigma Project.
5. Quality Continued Education within Company( Level 1 and Level 2 Certified)
6. International Work experience
7. Direct Client interaction and good reputation with client.
8. Among Top performers in company ( Awarded certificate for Best performance)
9. Worked in different MNC culture (US/S.Korean/Spanish)
10. Member of Business council in Company.

Low points:
Social work

MBA Plans:
Outside india: US

Anything I need to work on?? What should be the score target???

Thanks
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5430 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Hello Sameer,

Please evaluate my profile and provide me guidance on which B-schools should I select.

My MBA interest: FT, 12-15 months program in Entrepreneurship, Strategy & Business mgt, Marketing.

GMAT 1(on Nov 15, 2007) - 640 (Q46, V31)
GMAT 2(scheduled on June 24, 2010)

Total Work Exp: 6 yrs (3.5 yrs IT + 2.5 yrs Departmental/Retail stores chain (Family business in New Delhi, India))

International Exp:
Twice on client site (based in Oakland, California) (2.5 months + 1.5 months)

Sex – Male
Age – 30 yrs
Nationality - Indian

Current Responsibilities:
Managing day-to-day operations, sales, marketing, private label production. I am managing transaction worth INR 10 Cr (approx), while total business revenue is 25 Cr.

Previous IT exp:
1. As a Sr. QA, managing a team of 4 in my second organization, received client appreciations. Working closely with one of top 5 Japanese organization (business partner of my US client).
2. Worked with multicultural teams (Indian+American+Japanese)
3. As a software engg in India's top IT organization for 2.5 yrs

Education:
B. Tech (Computers) from Kurukshetra Univ, 2004 passout, 73% marks
XII – 67%, CBSE board
X – 73%, CBSE board

ECs:
1. Nothing special, but was participating in some social responsibility events in my IT organizations.
2. Helped my organization to spread the idea of Save Paper. Even got appreciation from my development center Admin Head.
3. My retail outlets were the first in New Delhi to start avoiding polyethene bags and use of bio-degradable/plastic bags as per govt regulations. Hudreds of customers appreciated our efforts and even various other retailers following this practice.

Aim: I want to expand my business, adding more stores, not only in grocery segment, but also in jewelry/home interiors/kitchenware. I have started marketing our private lables (in processed food) to a few outlets and planning to start marketing in entire NCR region. I want to make my firm a Pvt. Ltd with listing it on BSE/NSE (within 5 yrs).

I would like to know:

1. How my profile looks for an MBA from the top 10-20 B-schools?
2. Do lack of good ECs reflect bad on my profile?
3. What, in your opinion, is my strengths and weakness reflected in my profile?
4. I have changed my career from IT sector to retail sector. Is it negative?
5. In my IT exp, I didnt have direct leadership role . So, it is negative on my profile?
6. Please mention what should I do to make my case stronger for final call.
7. Please list the best schools for Entrepreneurship, Strategy & Business mgt, Marketing.

------
Ykaiim
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Send PM
ykaiim wrote:
Hello Sameer,

Please evaluate my profile and provide me guidance on which B-schools should I select.

My MBA interest: FT, 12-15 months program in Entrepreneurship, Strategy & Business mgt, Marketing.

GMAT 1(on Nov 15, 2007) - 640 (Q46, V31)
GMAT 2(scheduled on June 24, 2010)

Total Work Exp: 6 yrs (3.5 yrs IT + 2.5 yrs Departmental/Retail stores chain (Family business in New Delhi, India))

International Exp:
Twice on client site (based in Oakland, California) (2.5 months + 1.5 months)

Sex – Male
Age – 30 yrs
Nationality - Indian

Current Responsibilities:
Managing day-to-day operations, sales, marketing, private label production. I am managing transaction worth INR 10 Cr (approx), while total business revenue is 25 Cr.

Previous IT exp:
1. As a Sr. QA, managing a team of 4 in my second organization, received client appreciations. Working closely with one of top 5 Japanese organization (business partner of my US client).
2. Worked with multicultural teams (Indian+American+Japanese)
3. As a software engg in India's top IT organization for 2.5 yrs

Education:
B. Tech (Computers) from Kurukshetra Univ, 2004 passout, 73% marks
XII – 67%, CBSE board
X – 73%, CBSE board

ECs:
1. Nothing special, but was participating in some social responsibility events in my IT organizations.
2. Helped my organization to spread the idea of Save Paper. Even got appreciation from my development center Admin Head.
3. My retail outlets were the first in New Delhi to start avoiding polyethene bags and use of bio-degradable/plastic bags as per govt regulations. Hudreds of customers appreciated our efforts and even various other retailers following this practice.

Aim: I want to expand my business, adding more stores, not only in grocery segment, but also in jewelry/home interiors/kitchenware. I have started marketing our private lables (in processed food) to a few outlets and planning to start marketing in entire NCR region. I want to make my firm a Pvt. Ltd with listing it on BSE/NSE (within 5 yrs).

I would like to know:

------
Ykaiim

Hi Ykaiim,

1. How my profile looks for an MBA from the top 10-20 B-schools?

Short answer. Pretty interesting. The last 2.5 yrs will give you a lot to talk about. You aspirations of taking your company to the stock exchanges is ambitious. I hope you have a solid business plan ready. Be ready to talk about milestones, risks, mitigation plans. Incorporating a company is the easy part. Your CA will get it done in 30 days. The tricky part is to get your ship out there in the choppy seas and not lose track of your destination.

2. Do lack of good ECs reflect bad on my profile?

ECs only make your profile seem richer by adding dimensions that your professional roles might not be able to talk about. Without ECs, there are lesser sources to draw from.

3. What, in your opinion, is my strengths and weakness reflected in my profile?

The Situation:
You've moved from a structured process-driven environment to the chaotic (relatively speaking) world of enterpreneurship. I'm guessing you are a second generation enterpreneur. So you aren't really struggling with the basic elements. The challenge you face now are at the scaling up level.

The Challenge:
If executed well, this can be your key weapon. You will be able to talk about experiences across two worlds. How good are your content structuring and presentation skills? How well do you write? These questions will decide if you convert the 'situation' part into a strength or a weakness.

4. I have changed my career from IT sector to retail sector. Is it negative?

Nope. But you'll have to careful about how you depict the transition. You will have to answer some obvious queries that will come up.

5. In my IT exp, I didnt have direct leadership role . So, it is negative on my profile?

What technical/functional role were you in? In your organisation, at what stage do people start getting team leadership and project management responsibility? Considering the answers to these questions, would you consider your growth as below/above average?

6. Please mention what should I do to make my case stronger for final call.

Right now there are too many things on your plate. Your next question is an indicaton of what I'm referring to. Each of the areas you've mentioned below is an ocean. The first one, Entrepreneurship, involves elements from all other disciplines. The other two are more specialised areas that will allow you to go deeper. Try to get more specific.

7. Please list the best schools for Entrepreneurship, Strategy & Business mgt, Marketing

Could we come back to this once you've narrowed down on your focus areas?

I also have a query about the age/experience equation for you. But will keep that for later.

Your GMAT date isn't too far off. If you are interested, we could resume our discussions on June 24th when the uncertainty is lesser, at least as far as the objective data is concerned.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you, my friend.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5430 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Thanks Sameer.

I'll certainly have a word with you for next step.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  41