Join us for MBA Spotlight – The Top 20 MBA Fair      Schedule of Events | Register

It is currently 06 Jun 2020, 18:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  
MBA Admissions Consultant
P
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2020, 16:04
YashKothari94 wrote:
Accepted.com wrote:
YashKothari94 wrote:
In advance: Thank you for your time! :) This evaluation is for the class of 2023.

Demographic:
Indian Male 25
Undergrad: Electronics and Telecommunication Engg
Undergrad GPA: 2.78/4 (75th percentile). Overall rising graph and a strong finish with an avg of 3.43/4 for the final two semesters.
GMAT 750
Extra-curriculars in college: (A) Founded the entrepreneurship cell (B) Technical Head for college fest - led a team of 10 volunteers. (C) Dean's award for social service

Work experience:
3 years total with Teach for India. 1 month of international experience in the USA with Teach For America.

The First 2 years as a full-time teacher. I was given the additional responsibility of interviewing and selecting prospective candidates because of my sound critical thinking skills. In the third year, I joined them as an International Development Associate for their new US venture. I worked out of Mumbai, while the only other person working on this project, my manager worked out of NYC. Together we raised $500,000 in a year, and since this project was like an early-stage startup, I was tasked with many additional responsibilities such as board member recruiting & marketing.

Reason to get an MBA:
Long term: To work in an impact investing firm. Ties to my work experience - While fundraising I realized that traditional philanthropy is not sufficient to solve the complex challenges in the non-profit sector. I also enjoyed the Financial Accounting module in HBX CORe, and thus impact investing seemed to be the next logical step.

Short term: Investment banking (not necessarily at bulge bracket companies). I understand that getting into impact investing directly will be difficult and hence this can be a stepping stone.

Before I respond, can you clarify what you're doing now? And intend to do until the start of school? Is that still with Teach for India? Are you currently in the "third year" working as an Int'l Development Assoc.?

Linda

Thank you for the reply, Linda.

I'm not working for the past 5 months because of a personal and grave emergency in my family. I'm however using the time to pick up Investment Banking skills and to connect with club leaders at my target schools. I should hopefully be able to land an IB internship by May-June.

I'm sorry to read that you had a serious family emergency for the last five months. Do tell the adcoms why you have a gap in employment. Applying while employed is important so hopefully you will soon find the work that you're looking for. Your GMAT is excellent. Don't translate your GPA, unless asked. Just provide the percentile grade if that's how you were graded. Top MBA programs can interpret your transcript and grades.

I'm assuming that you get that job and work steadily through the application cycle. Your chances of acceptance will be higher in the 2021-22 application cycle than the 2020-21 cycle, but there is no harm in trying for this upcoming cycle. And depending on how the economy does, the 2020-21 cycle may have slightly less competition than the 21-22 cycle.

Best,
Linda

Listen to Admissions Straight Talk for interviews with admissions directors, MBAs, test prep pros, and financial aid sources.
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
V
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2020, 21:37
Hi taninvv, congrats on your masters at ENSTA. Great GPA. It's great that you work at a big bank with a selective program, but keep in mind US business schools are more focused on hearing stories that demonstrate leadership that status or prestige. Especially for HBS, pedigree does matter, however that is less indicative of being a successful business leader.

I enjoy working with French applicants and have helped several get into amazing schools with very not so great GMAT scores, by putting together amazing applications. Also, they are somewhat underrepresented. That said, you should definitely work on improving yours in order to maximize your chances and make the whole MBA application undertaking less risky. That is to say, having a low GMAT with respect to class profile makes things a bit less predictable. If there is another French guy with a similar profile but a better score, at a specific school, you will lose out.

Why is it that you have only one year of experience? That seems odd to me. I would agree with Linda: focus on developing your leadership profile by volunteering, just showing contribution in many different forms.

taninvv wrote:
Hi,

I'm French, 25 y.o.
I got a Master of Science in Engineering (major in data sciences) with 3.75 GPA from one of the leading French graduate school of Engineering (ENSTA Paris).
I work for the General Inspection of a major French bank (it's a very selective Graduate program) 1y exp.
GMAT 700

Intern
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2020, 20:41
Hi, I looked into deferred programs last semester and am interested. I am applying to HBS 2+2 program and would appreciate review of my profile. I am particularly curious to know if there's anything you think I should focus on in my essay that wouldn't be covered by the rest of my application that could be helpful for HBS to know.

Work Experience
- 3 Month Software Internship at one of Facebook/Google/Amazon/Apple
- 3 Month Software Internship at one of Lyft/Uber/Dropbox/Slack
- 3 Month Software Internship at a Consumer Bank
- 3 Month Product Management Internship at Silicon Valley tech company (not name brand)

Extracurriculars
- VC Scout ($25M seed stage fund) - manage 2 people
- University Tech Advisory Committee - Was the Chair of the committee and managed 7 other people
- University Senate
- University SGA
- Hackathon Organizer

Academics
- Undergrad School: Top 50 State School, Computer Science
- GPA: 3.75
- GMAT: 770 (50Q, 44V)

Demographics
- Asian American
- Male

MBA Goal
- Transition from my technical background to entrepreneurship.

Concerns
- GPA is low, HBS deferred average is 3.8. GPA would be a 3.85 but took a class over summer that tanked my GPA. Course was not difficult but our group had communication issues which caused problems.
- Not enough leadership which is hard to do in a college environment.
P

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2020, 07:22
deathmatching wrote:
Hi, I looked into deferred programs last semester and am interested. I am applying to HBS 2+2 program and would appreciate review of my profile. I am particularly curious to know if there's anything you think I should focus on in my essay that wouldn't be covered by the rest of my application that could be helpful for HBS to know.

Work Experience
- 3 Month Software Internship at one of Lyft/Uber/Dropbox/Slack
- 3 Month Software Internship at a Consumer Bank
- 3 Month Product Management Internship at Silicon Valley tech company (not name brand)

Extracurriculars
- VC Scout ($25M seed stage fund) - manage 2 people
- University Tech Advisory Committee - Was the Chair of the committee and managed 7 other people
- University Senate
- University SGA
- Hackathon Organizer

Academics
- Undergrad School: Top 50 State School, Computer Science
- GPA: 3.75
- GMAT: 770 (50Q, 44V)

Demographics
- Asian American
- Male

MBA Goal
- Transition from my technical background to entrepreneurship.

Concerns
- GPA is low, HBS deferred average is 3.8. GPA would be a 3.85 but took a class over summer that tanked my GPA. Course was not difficult but our group had communication issues which caused problems.
- Not enough leadership which is hard to do in a college environment.

You have a competitive profile for HBS 2+2. I'm not at all concerned about your 3.75 (vs the average 3.8) given your GMAT. Don't waste their time (or make yourself look silly) "explaining" it.

You say not enough leadership, but you list managing several people under your ECs. Make the most of your impact and your team's impact in those roles. You also mention other leadership roles, Again, make the most of your impact in those positions.

Listen to Admissions Straight Talk for interviews with admissions directors, MBAs, test prep pros, and financial aid sources.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2020, 07:33
accepted You don't think I should mention the class at all? Also I should make my extracurricular leadership the focal point of my application?
P

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2020, 08:23
deathmatching wrote:
accepted You don't think I should mention the class at all? Also I should make my extracurricular leadership the focal point of my application?

What was your grade in that class?

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2020, 08:32
I received a C. Every other grade in college has been A/A-/B+ with an upwards trend (4.0 junior year).
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2020, 22:41
Hello everyone,

I am planning to apply in R1 2021 (matriculating in the fall of 2022) and would appreciate your thoughts and advice as I address weaknesses in my application over the next ~1.5 years.

Demographics: 27 years old at time of application, Male, US Citizen White/Middle Eastern

Education:
• Undergrad: B.S. in Economics from Duke. GPA 3.95/4; graduated Summa Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa
• University College London – International Economics Program (Fall 2016)

GRE: 319 (165Q, 154V) – Not great. I’m planning to retake it or try the GMAT. I took a practice GMAT got a 630 (Q37; V39). Would be curious to get your thoughts here and if I should take one v. the other.

Work Experience
•Past Internships: Consulting Analyst working at Indian consulting/tech company (lived/based in New Delhi), Consulting/Sales at consulting/tech company (lived/based in Singapore)
• Current: ~1.5 years at consulting firm specializing in data analytics (we compete with MBB for talent); promoted once; manage ~3 consultants across multiple Fortune 100 clients; delivered c-suite client presentations and analyses; partnered with products team to help build an automated forecasting/propensity modeling tool that clients directly use in their P&L
• For the next ~1.5 years before applying: I’m currently evaluating my options. Considering either staying at current role or looking to go to a top tech company (Google, Facebook, etc.) as a Project Manager. Would be curious to hear your thoughts on what might be a good next move and what factors I should consider.

Leadership and Extracurricular Activities:
• During undergrad: Co-Founder & Editor-in-Chief of Economics Journal; Library Advisory Board; Economics TA; social fraternity
• Current: Organize Blood Drive at office headquarters; School Recruiting Lead for current employer; Internal knowledge management coordinating across ~20 employees; Alum undergrad applicant interviewer; Poetry (trying to get published), Habitat for Humanity volunteer

Other:
• Published paper in 2015 about the intersect of economics, society and religion

Post MBA goal: entrepreneurship (leverage my analytical background to identify a gap in a sector and carve out a space for data driven decisions) or PE/VC

Essay: TBD – likely something about my interest in leveraging data analytics to make data backed decisions in entrepreneurship

Other schools: Stanford, Wharton, Sloan, Columbia, Kellog, Fuqua

Points of concern:
• GRE/GMAT score – hopefully high GPA can compensate for it/planning to retake. If I can’t improve, how badly would that impede my chances?
• Extracurriculars – current job is fairly demanding so I haven’t had too much time to build my extracurricular efforts post undergrad
• Other gaps you may see!

Thanks so much!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2020, 06:46
I want to apply to enroll for a 2 year full time program starting in 2022

GMAT: 710
GPA: 3.5 cum laude distinction
Undergraduate: Chemical Engineering at Virginia Tech; Semester of chemical engineering abroad in Germany
Demographic: white male
Age when enrolling: 28

Work Experience: Technology consulting at Accenture for 1yr out of college. 3 years of Venture Capital experience at a boutique venture firm focusing on life science and technology early stage start ups. Promoted from Analyst to Associate after one year and played an integral role in raising a second fund with 2x AUM compared to the original fund. I sit on 3 boards of portfolio companies and act as the primary point of contact for sourcing and executing deals. The fund only consists of 2 people inclusive of myself and I have multiple talking points on this front.

Community Service: led multiple medical mission trips abroad to Ghana, Honduras, and Panama during undergraduate winter breaks. Raised over $25k across 4 mission trips. Served as President, Vice President, and was a founding member of the student organization. Goal of the club was to provide access to medical care and set up a clinic in desolate areas with low access to healthcare.

Why MBA: My ultimate goal is to start my own VC firm that is sector agnostic and early stage focused. My short term goals are to land a job at a larger and more reputable VC firm so that I can get direct exposure to the day-to-day inner workings of many portfolio companies and build upon my existing work experience while expanding my network and track record. With an MBA I hope to fully develop my leadership abilities, broaden my knowledge of business and technology, and build the relationships I need.
P

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2020, 08:19
adwt1000 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am planning to apply in R1 2021 (matriculating in the fall of 2022) and would appreciate your thoughts and advice as I address weaknesses in my application over the next ~1.5 years.

Demographics: 27 years old at time of application, Male, US Citizen White/Middle Eastern

Education:
• Undergrad: B.S. in Economics from Duke. GPA 3.95/4; graduated Summa Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa
• University College London – International Economics Program (Fall 2016)

GRE: 319 (165Q, 154V) – Not great. I’m planning to retake it or try the GMAT. I took a practice GMAT got a 630 (Q37; V39). Would be curious to get your thoughts here and if I should take one v. the other.

Work Experience
•Past Internships: Consulting Analyst working at Indian consulting/tech company (lived/based in New Delhi), Consulting/Sales at consulting/tech company (lived/based in Singapore)
• Current: ~1.5 years at consulting firm specializing in data analytics (we compete with MBB for talent); promoted once; manage ~3 consultants across multiple Fortune 100 clients; delivered c-suite client presentations and analyses; partnered with products team to help build an automated forecasting/propensity modeling tool that clients directly use in their P&L
• For the next ~1.5 years before applying: I’m currently evaluating my options. Considering either staying at current role or looking to go to a top tech company (Google, Facebook, etc.) as a Project Manager. Would be curious to hear your thoughts on what might be a good next move and what factors I should consider.

Leadership and Extracurricular Activities:
• During undergrad: Co-Founder & Editor-in-Chief of Economics Journal; Library Advisory Board; Economics TA; social fraternity
• Current: Organize Blood Drive at office headquarters; School Recruiting Lead for current employer; Internal knowledge management coordinating across ~20 employees; Alum undergrad applicant interviewer; Poetry (trying to get published), Habitat for Humanity volunteer

Other:
• Published paper in 2015 about the intersect of economics, society and religion

Post MBA goal: entrepreneurship (leverage my analytical background to identify a gap in a sector and carve out a space for data driven decisions) or PE/VC

Essay: TBD – likely something about my interest in leveraging data analytics to make data backed decisions in entrepreneurship

Other schools: Stanford, Wharton, Sloan, Columbia, Kellog, Fuqua

Points of concern:
• GRE/GMAT score – hopefully high GPA can compensate for it/planning to retake. If I can’t improve, how badly would that impede my chances?
• Extracurriculars – current job is fairly demanding so I haven’t had too much time to build my extracurricular efforts post undergrad
• Other gaps you may see!

Thanks so much!

The main weakness I see in your profile is your verbal score. You need to raise it. Whether you take the GRE or GMAT should be determined by which you find easier. If it's the GMAT, go with the GMAT. If it's the GRE, go with the GRE, but that verbal score needs to be higher.

In terms of your ECs, you do have them even since college. Could you take on a more responsible role? That would help, but I don't see this as a major weakness.

In terms of a job move, your current work is very interesting. On the other hand, a project mgmt role at a FAANG company would also look nice on your resume. I would say go with the position that A) allows you to have the most impact and responsibility, and B) best positions you for your desired post-MBA role. That may be continuing to grow in your current company.

You may also be interested in The Ultimate Guide to Becoming a Competitive MBA Applicant.

Best,
Linda

P

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2020, 08:23
Kody wrote:

Undergraduate: Chemical Engineering at Virginia Tech; Semester of chemical engineering abroad in Germany

Work Experience: Technology consulting at Accenture for 1yr out of college. 3 years of Venture Capital experience at a boutique venture firm focusing on life science and technology early stage start ups. Promoted from Analyst to Associate after one year and played an integral role in raising a second fund with 2x AUM compared to the original fund. I sit on 3 boards of portfolio companies and act as the primary point of contact for sourcing and executing deals. The fund only consists of 2 people inclusive of myself and I have multiple talking points on this front.

Community Service: led multiple medical mission trips abroad to Ghana, Honduras, and Panama during undergraduate winter breaks. Raised over $25k across 4 mission trips. Served as President, Vice President, and was a founding member of the student organization. Goal of the club was to provide access to medical care and set up a clinic in desolate areas with low access to healthcare.

Why MBA: My ultimate goal is to start my own VC firm that is sector agnostic and early stage focused. My short term goals are to land a job at a larger and more reputable VC firm so that I can get direct exposure to the day-to-day inner workings of many portfolio companies and build upon my existing work experience while expanding my network and track record. With an MBA I hope to fully develop my leadership abilities, broaden my knowledge of business and technology, and build the relationships I need.

You have a very impressive profile, although your GMAT is on the low side for HBS. You have the time until you apply and it may make sense to prepare, retake, and raise it.

Another suggestion, your goal is quite clear, but I have a question, and you don't need to answer it now. What will be different about your fund? What niche do you intend to serve? There are lots of funds out there.

Get your score up, and you'll have a competitive profile for HBS.

Best,
Linda

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2020, 09:45
Accepted.com wrote:
Kody wrote:

You have a very impressive profile, although your GMAT is on the low side for HBS. You have the time until you apply and it may make sense to prepare, retake, and raise it.

Another suggestion, your goal is quite clear, but I have a question, and you don't need to answer it now. What will be different about your fund? What niche do you intend to serve? There are lots of funds out there.

Best,
Linda

Concerning the 710, I have gotten feedback from research and other sources and have discovered that being within 20 points of the school's average is almost no man's land. I have been told that anything over a 700 would encourage an admissions committee to view my profile in its entirety. Given my story, resume, and undergraduate rigor I feel positive that my 710 would not be a negating factor. In summary, I feel as if a 710 gets my foot in the door and obtaining a 730+ score is a luxury item and not a gating item. Am I off base in that analysis?

Additionally, through my research I am beginning to realize that there are only a handful of schools (MIT, HBS, Stanford, and Wharton) that will provide me with the network and tools that will give me a substantial opportunity to reach my long term and short term goals. Would my profile be competitive at these schools and are there any other schools not mentioned that would be worth while to research further and have a significant track record of VC placement? I am finding it difficult to identify "safety schools" where the value proposition would make sense versus just applying directly to larger VC firms and foregoing B school altogether.
P

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2020, 14:01
Kody wrote:
Accepted.com wrote:
Kody wrote:

Best,
Linda

Concerning the 710, I have gotten feedback from research and other sources and have discovered that being within 20 points of the school's average is almost no man's land. I have been told that anything over a 700 would encourage an admissions committee to view my profile in its entirety. Given my story, resume, and undergraduate rigor I feel positive that my 710 would not be a negating factor. In summary, I feel as if a 710 gets my foot in the door and obtaining a 730+ score is a luxury item and not a gating item. Am I off base in that analysis?

Additionally, through my research I am beginning to realize that there are only a handful of schools (MIT, HBS, Stanford, and Wharton) that will provide me with the network and tools that will give me a substantial opportunity to reach my long term and short term goals. Would my profile be competitive at these schools and are there any other schools not mentioned that would be worth while to research further and have a significant track record of VC placement? I am finding it difficult to identify "safety schools" where the value proposition would make sense versus just applying directly to larger VC firms and foregoing B school altogether.

If you were applying now for the extended R3 deadlines and the COVID rounds, I would completely agree with you. But you are planning ahead for two cycles from now, and it is highly possible that application volume could be higher and competition could be more intense than it has been this year or for the last couple of years. So is it possible, given your excellent professional, leadership, and extra-curricular experience, that you could get into one of your target schools with your current GMAT score? Yes. Is it also possible that someone with similar excellent experience and higher GMAT and GPA could also apply and be deemed more competitive/ Yes again. That's also possible. And sincet you have 1.5 years until you intend to apply, unless it will take an enormous amount of effort, I'd recommend going to the trouble of preparing again and retaking the exam. This is a competitive process and on some level, the weakest element of your profile could be like the weakest link in a chain.

Perhaps you're a tad over-confident. Or perhaps just less risk-averse than I am. But that's my reasoning.

Best,
Linda

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: HBS, Stanford, INSEAD
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.4
WE: Project Management (Transportation)
Profile Review: NZ/USA dual citizen | 740 GMAT | Unique background  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2020, 22:33
Hi there,

I would greatly appreciate any feedback on my profile and ideally some thoughts on how to best take the info below and shape it in to a killer HBS admission.

Work experience:
- Three years post-graduation as civil engineer while chasing athletic goals (NZ/UK)
- One year full-time playing sport professionally in Europe and for USA National Team (USA/The Netherlands)
- Retired from sport, returned home to further career. Two years client-side project manager responsible for delivering construction projects up to $200mil (NZ)

Extra curriculars:
- Athletic - Previously member of USA Men's National Team (passport holder) competing for ~2yrs in various international tournaments including Olympic Qualifiers
- Voluntary - NFP Board Member for charity with connections to personal background
- Industry - Chair of national industry network for young professionals (~800 members)

Undergrad school/major:
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) from top NZ engineering school

Race/nationality:
- Dual citizen New Zealand/USA

Sex:
- Male

GMAT Score:
- 740 (Q49 V42)

Undergrad GPA:

Goal of MBA:
- Aspire to gain a strong toolkit of strategy/business skills through post-MBA experience in consulting at MBB. Transition to role consulting for or within a purpose-driven organization (Gates Foundation/Bridgespan Group/World Economic Forum etc.) Eventually lead/start a business back in New Zealand with the best practice experience gained from abroad.

Target schools:
- Reach - Harvard, Stanford GSB, Kellogg
- Target - Yale SOM, INSEAD, Oxford Saïd

- Plan to apply R1 2020 for 2021 intake. Hoped to visit schools before applying to get better feel for fit but this is likely off the table
- Want to position myself for scholarship opportunities as best as possible. Three months now to write essays etc.
- Keen to hear people's thoughts about schools, goals and key essay considerations
- Understand GPA is slightly low (training full time during engineeirng degree) and WE is non-traditional
- Purpose-driven goals began with seeing the impact that opportunities to sport offered kids and has been emphasized through last 12 months in involvement with NFP sector and experience in the World Economic Forum's Global Shapers Community
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2020, 06:00
Background and nationality - Indian (male), age at application stage - 26, Business education (Undergrad and post-grad from top tier institutes in India)
GMAT: 730 -740 (Realistic target)
Undergrad Gpa- 7.48(equivalent to 4.0 acc to gmac)

Post grad Gpa - 2.93/4.33 from IIM (top 30% of class)

Work experience and leadership - 3.5 years (during application) CPG firm in India, led a team of 10+ management graduates for all these 3.5 yrs, promotion in 2 years, youngest and fastest to get promoted, youngest state head, highest growth and achievement nos. in first 2 years

Recommendations from Pan India Heads

Community and others -
1) volunteering at a free school for the underprivileged - arranged youth awareness camps and increased enrollment at school
2) Volunteering at a school for special needs children - mostly kids who don't have resources for correct diagnosis - tried to teach them nuances of human interaction and to make them independent in their daily tasks

Hosted a tedx event and achieved a blackbelt in martial arts, opportunity to represent country and state in international and national competitions

Post MBA goals - transition to consulting and then start an entrepreneurial venture

zero international experience, but experienced many cultures in India

Ideal GMAt score considering my background

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 May 2020, 06:11
Hello everyone.
I am from India. I have done my Bachelor's in Pharmacy with low CGPA of 6.75/10.I have scored 750 on the GMAT and I have participated at various platforms. I have done my Master's in Pharmacoeconomics and Health Economics From German University with CGPA of 3.5/5. I was the Sports Secretary of the college and lead the team of 20+ Volunteers. I have done 2 Internships. And I have work experience of 3 years into Pricing and HEOR at ISPOR. What are the possibilities of getting it into Harvard MBA?

Originally posted by neetabhanushali on 10 May 2020, 07:33.
Last edited by neetabhanushali on 11 May 2020, 06:11, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
B
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2020, 09:26
Hello Folks,

Thank you for looking at my profile.

· Demographics (nationality, gender):
- Indian
- Male (turned 27 in January '20)

· Education (undergraduate institution, GPA, major - high school/entrance exams not needed):
- B.Tech from Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi (popularly known as IIT Delhi - Among Top 2 Engineering schools in India)
- Graduated in May 2016
- CGPA - 8.1/10 (Major - Textile Engineering)

· GMAT or GRE (include section breakdown):
- Yet to give but expecting 750-760+

. Work experience (highlight amount of work experience, industries, roles, promotions, special accomplishments, international exposure):
- Designation: Senior Manager at analytics consulting firm based out of Gurgaon, India (have been pretty unlucky with H1B lottery for last 3 times)
- Current Employer: EXL Analytics, multinational company headquartered in NYC (wouldn't consider as recognized as BCG, Bain, etc. but probably Tier 2)
- Work Experience: have been working with the same company for about 4 years now right after my undergrad
- Promotions: Total 3 promotions in ~4 years (2 fast track promotions in first 2 years of working with the company)
- Special Accomplishments - not sure if this carries much weight here (Best Innovator Award and Best Employee award)
- International Exposure - No long time international work experience but have client meetings exposure (been on business trips to US few times)
- Industry - Analytics/Data Science consulting in Banking and Finance
- Actual Work - currently leading a team of 5 consultants all graduated from top schools in India, worked on numerous data science/analytics projects for top US banks (Credit Card Risk & Fraud Mitigation)

. Potential Recommendations -
- VP at EXL (IIM - top B school in India) - strong
- SAVP at EXL (The Mays Business School at Texas A&M University) - strong
- Director at top US Bank (past client, among Chase/Citi/BoA) (George Washington University School of Business) - strong
- SVP at top US Bank (past client, among Chase/Citi/BoA) (MS from Carnegie Mellon University) - strong

· Extracurricular activities (highlight notable undergraduate and post-undergraduate ones):
- During school time, I founded a tech forum/community with about 1Lakh members and had Alexa traffic rank of ~70,000 in 2008. Had to shut down due later due to higher studies
- Did a lot of freelancing work (Web apps/coding) right during 5th - 10th grade while in School
- I enjoy working on mobile app development, worked on a startup idea recently but later decided to drop it
- I had decent extracurrics at my undergrad - part of organizing committee (very competitive in college) of one of India's biggest college festival, affiliations with extracurricular clubs (Music) during undergrad
- No certifications as such but have been involved in various activities and led few events for music club both at college and at work

. Post-MBA goals: Starting off with a product role (something in AI) and to grow as a leader in this field. Would ultimately want to be in top position at a Bank leading analytics and operations vertical (resonates with my current work experience as well).

Community Experience: I spent time volunteering at National Association of Blind in New Delhi helping the NGO transcribe textbooks into digital format (Braile later on) for specially abled people.

· Target schools:
- Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Sloan, Chicago Booth, Kellogg, Columbia, Yale
- Thinking of giving GMAT by July '20 if covid situation resolves and applying in R1, however could wait an extra year if my profile has better chance at top B Schools

· Other information relevant to your profile: I had a decent source of income ever since 6th grade working as a freelancer of variety of things. I am a Table Tennis (Ping pong) enthusiast and spend atleast one hour daily practicing (picked up this sports at my workplace). I have played Cricket professionally for about 5 years before my undergrad at regional level.

I have seen people from my undergrad making to Harvard/Wharton but those always have had either better CGPA or/and more recognized work experience (top management consulting firms), so I would appreciate if you can give me honest feedback as to how I can improve my chances. I don't mind waiting a year if that's required but I am not willing to do MBA other than the listed schools.

Anyway, thank you for looking at my profile and for your valuable suggestions :)
P

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2020, 14:32
doublewhammy wrote:
Background and nationality - Indian (male), age at application stage - 26, Business education (Undergrad and post-grad from top tier institutes in India)
GMAT: 730 -740 (Realistic target)
Undergrad Gpa- 7.48(equivalent to 4.0 acc to gmac)

Post grad Gpa - 2.93/4.33 from IIM (top 30% of class)

Work experience and leadership - 3.5 years (during application) CPG firm in India, led a team of 10+ management graduates for all these 3.5 yrs, promotion in 2 years, youngest and fastest to get promoted, youngest state head, highest growth and achievement nos. in first 2 years

Recommendations from Pan India Heads

Community and others -
1) volunteering at a free school for the underprivileged - arranged youth awareness camps and increased enrollment at school
2) Volunteering at a school for special needs children - mostly kids who don't have resources for correct diagnosis - tried to teach them nuances of human interaction and to make them independent in their daily tasks

Hosted a tedx event and achieved a blackbelt in martial arts, opportunity to represent country and state in international and national competitions

Post MBA goals - transition to consulting and then start an entrepreneurial venture

zero international experience, but experienced many cultures in India

Ideal GMAt score considering my background

The ideal GMAT score is the highest one you can get. Your practice scores are in range. Higher would be nice.

As I wrote in response to your Stanford post, it makes sense for you to try and get into HBS, but you also need to apply to other programs that support your goals and where you are more competitive.

Linda

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2020, 18:10
Hey guys, would appreciate some advice on a potential application to the MBA program for 2021 entry.

GMAT: 710 (V40, Q47)

Background/Goals: I'm 32, Canadian, working as a physician. Graduated from residency at 28, and have been working as a licensed physician since then. Interested in pursuing an MBA to get into healthcare administration. Have plenty of leadership and international experience through my career path.

GPA: 3.7 (undergraduate), 3.3 (medical school)

Open to thoughts on how successful my application could be. Thanks!
P

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2020, 18:50
kat271 wrote:
Hey guys, would appreciate some advice on a potential application to the MBA program for 2021 entry.

GMAT: 710 (V40, Q47)

Background/Goals: I'm 32, Canadian, working as a physician. Graduated from residency at 28, and have been working as a licensed physician since then. Interested in pursuing an MBA to get into healthcare administration. Have plenty of leadership and international experience through my career path.

GPA: 3.7 (undergraduate), 3.3 (medical school)

Open to thoughts on how successful my application could be. Thanks!

Your GMAT is on the low side and your med school GPA also appears to be on the low side, unless your med school had a tough grading scale. I'd like to know more about what you want to accomplish in healthcare admin.

You have a shot with the strong leadership and int'l experience, but HBS is a stretch. You may want to also look into Wharton's healthcare management program or Columbia MBA, which aren't exactly easy to get into. Other programs strong in healthcare include Yale, Duke, and Haas. If you believe you can raise your GMAT, I'd encourage you to do so.

You might be interested in recording of yesterday's webinar: Get Accepted to Harvard Business School .

GMAT Club Bot
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!   [#permalink] 04 Jun 2020, 18:50

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30    Next  [ 581 posts ] 

My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: wabo22