Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 08:21 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Harvard Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Background

Work experience: Currently an associate with a leading European private equity fund (latest fund is >$5bn) in New York focusing on healthcare investments. Have been part of building up this new office and developing their presence in the US. I joined this role a bit more than a year ago after spending almost 4 years with a top US investment bank (Goldman / MS / JPM) consisting of 2 years as an healthcare investment banking analyst in London, and 1.75 years as an associate in New York (in connection with my accelerated promotion I was offered the opportunity to move over to New York)

Extracurricular: Board role on charity promoting equal opportunities and mentoring opportunities in New York. Involvement in type 1 diabetes charity (including marathon running for fundraising). Frequent volunteering for New York Cares including food packaging for elderly care homes during Covid-19

Undergrad school/major: First class degree (4.0 equivalent GPA) in Finance from UK target university (but not oxford/cambridge). School has almost no presence at HBS / GSB / Wharton but not sure how much of that is people not applying vs school not being strong enough

GMAT Score (include breakdown!): 730 (40V/49Q), IR: 8, AWA: 5

Race/nationality: White / Norwegian

Sex: Male

MBA Info

Goal of MBA: Return to same private equity firm or move into earlier stage healthcare growth / venture investing (particularly around chronic care conditions including diabetes)

Target schools: Harvard Business School (HBS), Stanford Business School (GSB), Wharton

Questions: What are my chances at HBS and GSB coming from a relatively unknown university and a "non-feeder" private equity firm (i.e. limited / no alumni at these schools)? Should I apply for 2021 start or wait a year at which point I will likely have been promoted from associate to vice president?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Harvard Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]

Please review my profile- posting again since I didn't get a response :(

28 year old Indian Male

Completed my first 3 year Bachelors degree in Biotechnology from an average college in Bangalore : 60%

Pursuing my 2nd and 3rd undergraduate degrees simultaneously:

a) A full time residential 3 year UG degree in Business from an average college with a dual specialization in Business analytics & digital marketing : 82% so far (2nd year, 4th sem) [in collaboration with IBM]
b) An online 3 year technical UG degree in Artificial Intelligence from a Top Indian Institute : 85% so far

Pursuing a 1 year PG diploma program from a top Institute in data science [part time] simultaneously.

Completed specializations on strategy, entrepreneurship, data science, IOT, product management, SEO etc. on Coursera.

Completed PRINCE2 certification for project management.
Took up electives in Media studies, fashion, art & culture.

Extracurricular activities:

Was part of the following clubs: Fashion, innovation, Toastmasters, poetry.
Designed a trademark at a patent competition organised by the state govt & the college
Participated in quiz competitions.
Became the student representative for a few semesters.
Attended seminars at Oxfam India on women empowerment and gender sensitivity.
Attended other seminars on marketing, finance, AI etc.

GRE: 318

Professional experience:
1) Spent 2 years in sales at a large travel company
2) Spent 2 years in HR operations at Accenture while studying full time [supported North American & Canadian Employees] [Leave management, payroll, 401K, I9 & redeployment and recruitment services]

Internships:

1) Startup investment analyst & Investor relationship management at a newly established Incubator/VC company founded by two of the nation's Top 10 Angel Investors. (4 months)
*Reported directly to the CXOs.
[prepared pitch decks, business plans, market research, sector analysis, Job Description writing, overseeing fundraising activities]

2) Market research analyst at a startup AI firm.
3) Associate product management intern at a startup digital marketing consultancy.

Planning to get a job at a leading Firm like Amazon, Accenture, IBM etc. after completion of Bachelors (2nd & 3rd) (work for 2-3 years before applying)

Others:

*Published a couple of research papers.
*Started a small online social media consulting business and SEO services with zero external funding & minimum personal investment. (started 6 months back with a few interns -too early to mention anything noteworthy apart from the experience.)

The plan:

*Applying to HEC Paris-X for the Msc in Entrepreneurship (10 months) at the age of 32

*Applying to the HBS MBA or the Oxford SBS MBA at the age of 36-37

Post Msc Entrepreneurship plans:

Starting an online startup investment business from HEC Paris and actively growing the social media consulting business (a symbiotic relationship between the two).

or working as an Associate Product Manager/ Product Manager at a large corporation in France/Eu for 3-4 years.

Post MBA plans:

Expanding existing businesses in new Geographical locations and starting up a new line of business (Tech products & services: AI, IOT, Data Sharing & Robotics).

Applying at HBS for a DBA in Strategy in mid-late 40s.

Whys:

Why HEC-X ?

To get a complete understanding of the essentials of entrepreneurship. The program follows a tech+business model which is in line with my current academic model and fits into my tech entrepreneurship plans. The mentor-ship from Investors, entrepreneurs etc. is just the kind of hands on experience I need to successfully launch & grow my startup. The connections I make will be invaluable. It will build up on my existing startup experience. The exchange trip to the US will help me expand my horizons. The college itself has an entrepreneurial spirit and a large number of startups were launched (500 startups).

Why MBA?

To acquire leadership & advanced management skills required for senior management positions at an established business or at a startup. A longer duration with more focus on general management skills.

Why HBS/Oxford SBS ?

Case study method.
Both have dual degree options [MBS+1 at SBS/ MBA+MS at HBS].
Both have options for MBA+ MS in Data Science.
Both have innovation/entrepreneurship clubs to test out various business ideas, get required support and also expand existing businesses.
The O Visa in the USA allows Indians with existing businesses to open up a base of operations.
The Global Tech Visa in the U.K is favorable for Tech entrepreneurs.
Both programs focus on general management skills.

My Questions:

*What are my chances for each of these programs?
*Will my Age be a problem? If so for which ones?
*Which Undergraduate degree must I upload while applying to these programs?
*Is online education accepted? bearing in mind that I have 1 online degree and 1 full time day college degree going on simultaneously.
*What else can I do to improve my chances?
*Will an Msc from HEC Paris boost my chances at HBS/SBS?
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmateurope2020 wrote:
Background

Work experience: Currently an associate with a leading European private equity fund (latest fund is >$5bn) in New York focusing on healthcare investments. Have been part of building up this new office and developing their presence in the US. I joined this role a bit more than a year ago after spending almost 4 years with a top US investment bank (Goldman / MS / JPM) consisting of 2 years as an healthcare investment banking analyst in London, and 1.75 years as an associate in New York (in connection with my accelerated promotion I was offered the opportunity to move over to New York)

Extracurricular: Board role on charity promoting equal opportunities and mentoring opportunities in New York. Involvement in type 1 diabetes charity (including marathon running for fundraising). Frequent volunteering for New York Cares including food packaging for elderly care homes during Covid-19

Undergrad school/major: First class degree (4.0 equivalent GPA) in Finance from UK target university (but not oxford/cambridge). School has almost no presence at HBS / GSB / Wharton but not sure how much of that is people not applying vs school not being strong enough

GMAT Score (include breakdown!): 730 (40V/49Q), IR: 8, AWA: 5

Race/nationality: White / Norwegian

Sex: Male

MBA Info

Goal of MBA: Return to same private equity firm or move into earlier stage healthcare growth / venture investing (particularly around chronic care conditions including diabetes)

Target schools: Harvard Business School (HBS), Stanford Business School (GSB), Wharton

Questions: What are my chances at HBS and GSB coming from a relatively unknown university and a "non-feeder" private equity firm (i.e. limited / no alumni at these schools)? Should I apply for 2021 start or wait a year at which point I will likely have been promoted from associate to vice president?

You have a competitive profile for the programs you are aiming for. Wharton is the most likely admit, but you have a chance at all. Your academic background is competitive. Your work experience is impressive, but you will need to highlight how you built up the U.S. office and any other significant impact and leadership roles you have had professionally. Your volunteer involvements are similarly impressive, and again, you need to highlight significant impact and leadership roles that you've had.

You appear concerned because your PE firm and school aren't big "brands." I have consistently seen that H/S/W are most interested in what the applicant has achieved than the brand value of the school they attended or company they worked for. And coming from Norway with experience in both the UK and U.S. is a plus.

Basically, go for it! You may also want to consider Chicago Booth, Columbia and MIT Sloan.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools: ISB '23 (II)
Send PM
Hi,

I am 26 years old, Indian, male. I completed my B.Tech from top 10 engineering colleges in India in 2016.
Undergrad marks - 63%
GMAT - 740

I have 3.5 years of job experience in India and by the time I will join the institute it will be 4.5 years. 2.5 years in Infosys as a software engineer and 1 year in small US based company(200-300 strength) as a Data Scientist(Machine learning and AI), but the clients in this company are renowned conglomerated, with whom I have directly worked.

Extracurricular - 1) Used to play soccer(represented my college and school in some competitions). 2) Was an active member of toastmasters in previous company 3) I play Keyboard(Piano) 4)some social and fest work done in undergrad only

Do I have any chance of getting into Harvard business school?
My chances of getting into HEC paris, LBS?

Thanks for taking the time to read and evaluate!
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Shubham11,

Your undergrad stats are lower but then, you have compensated for it by your GMAT, especially for HEC and LBS, it does not seem a problem. About your work-ex and ECs, you have not provided many details so it would be difficult for me to comment. Just fyi, you need to exhibit a very strong leader in you for Haravard and must have hugely impacted organizations. For HEC and LBS, you seem to have international exposure as you were/are working in a US based company and these schools really look for it.

To add further value in the evaluation, I need to know more about the positions and roles you undertook in your work and during your membership of toastmasters. Alternatively, If you’d like we are happy to hop on a call sometime this week to discuss your chances further. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Kashish Garg
Community Manager, MBA and Beyond

On behalf of
Shantanu Sharma,
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
Schedule a free session
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com
What s app: +65-97158525
Shubham11 wrote:
Hi,

I am 26 years old, Indian, male. I completed my B.Tech from top 10 engineering colleges in India in 2016.
Undergrad marks - 63%
GMAT - 740

I have 3.5 years of job experience in India and by the time I will join the institute it will be 4.5 years. 2.5 years in Infosys as a software engineer and 1 year in small US based company(200-300 strength) as a Data Scientist(Machine learning and AI), but the clients in this company are renowned conglomerated, with whom I have directly worked.

Extracurricular - 1) Used to play soccer(represented my college and school in some competitions). 2) Was an active member of toastmasters in previous company 3) I play Keyboard(Piano) 4)some social and fest work done in undergrad only

Send PM
Expert Reply
Shubham11 wrote:
Hi,

Undergrad marks - 63%
GMAT - 740

HBS is a stretch. LBS and HEC are more feasible, but for both programs you need to show multi-cultural fluency. You may have it, but it doesn't show through in your post.

FYI, we have a former LBS admissions director on staff, if you are interested in help with your MBA applications.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

Please review my profile- posting again since I didn't get a response :(

28 year old Indian Male

Completed my first 3 year Bachelors degree in Biotechnology from an average college in Bangalore : 60%

Pursuing my 2nd and 3rd undergraduate degrees simultaneously:

a) A full time residential 3 year UG degree in Business from an average college with a dual specialization in Business analytics & digital marketing : 82% so far (2nd year, 4th sem) [in collaboration with IBM]
b) An online 3 year technical UG degree in Artificial Intelligence from a Top Indian Institute : 85% so far

Pursuing a 1 year PG diploma program from a top Institute in data science [part time] simultaneously.

Completed specializations on strategy, entrepreneurship, data science, IOT, product management, SEO etc. on Coursera.

Completed PRINCE2 certification for project management.
Took up electives in Media studies, fashion, art & culture.

Extracurricular activities:

Was part of the following clubs: Fashion, innovation, Toastmasters, poetry.
Designed a trademark at a patent competition organised by the state govt & the college
Participated in quiz competitions.
Became the student representative for a few semesters.
Attended seminars at Oxfam India on women empowerment and gender sensitivity.
Attended other seminars on marketing, finance, AI etc.

GRE: 318

Professional experience:
1) Spent 2 years in sales at a large travel company
2) Spent 2 years in HR operations at Accenture while studying full time [supported North American & Canadian Employees] [Leave management, payroll, 401K, I9 & redeployment and recruitment services]

Internships:

1) Startup investment analyst & Investor relationship management at a newly established Incubator/VC company founded by two of the nation's Top 10 Angel Investors. (4 months)
*Reported directly to the CXOs.
[prepared pitch decks, business plans, market research, sector analysis, Job Description writing, overseeing fundraising activities]

2) Market research analyst at a startup AI firm.
3) Associate product management intern at a startup digital marketing consultancy.

Planning to get a job at a leading Firm like Amazon, Accenture, IBM etc. after completion of Bachelors (2nd & 3rd) (work for 2-3 years before applying)

Others:

*Published a couple of research papers.
*Started a small online social media consulting business and SEO services with zero external funding & minimum personal investment. (started 6 months back with a few interns -too early to mention anything noteworthy apart from the experience.)

Please review my chances for HEC, Oxford SBS & HBS. Thanks in advance.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Hi, would appreciate any feedback on my profile competitiveness and potentially ways to standout coming from an over-represented background.

Background: I'm an Asian American male in Private Equity. Currently 3 years of work experience (4 at matriculation) and have been promoted a year ahead of schedule in PE (only early promote in the firm). Previously at a top investment bank. Was offered an opportunity to split time working across our Europe and North America offices, but when COVID hit the logistics of that got put on pause (that being said, I am staffed on European deals in anticipation for when we are able to begin travel again. Plan to return to my firm post-MBA.

Extracurricular: Active role in my family business (real-estate investing), junior board for a charity focused on creating a more equitable community in my city, and a basketball coach for at-risk youth.

Undergrad: 3.65/4.0 in finance from a top-50 university (recognizable name but not a feeder to HSW)

GMAT: 740 (Q49/V41); 8IR; 6AWA

Targeting HSW and considering Kellogg, Booth, Columbia
Send PM
Expert Reply
ABT wrote:
Hi, would appreciate any feedback on my profile competitiveness and potentially ways to standout coming from an over-represented background.

Background: I'm an Asian American male in Private Equity. Currently 3 years of work experience (4 at matriculation) and have been promoted a year ahead of schedule in PE (only early promote in the firm). Previously at a top investment bank. Was offered an opportunity to split time working across our Europe and North America offices, but when COVID hit the logistics of that got put on pause (that being said, I am staffed on European deals in anticipation for when we are able to begin travel again. Plan to return to my firm post-MBA.

Extracurricular: Active role in my family business (real-estate investing), junior board for a charity focused on creating a more equitable community in my city, and a basketball coach for at-risk youth.

Undergrad: 3.65/4.0 in finance from a top-50 university (recognizable name but not a feeder to HSW)

GMAT: 740 (Q49/V41); 8IR; 6AWA

Targeting HSW and considering Kellogg, Booth, Columbia

You have a competitive profile for your target schools and are applying appropriately. I can give you one suggestion now, along with several resources that will help you with the standing out portion of your question. Returning to your PE firm is fine as an immediate post-MBA goal. But the programs you are aiming for, especially H/S/W want to admit people who are going to leave an impact, hopefully improve the world. What do you hope to accomplish in PE, or in managing your family's business and/or serving on the board of the group focusing on increasing equity? is there any common thread? Make sure the schools you are applying to, especially H/S know about it.

Resources:
* Fitting In and Standing Out: The Paradox at the Heart of Admissions, free download.
* Get Accepted to Harvard Business School, on-demand, recorded webinar
* Get Accepted to Stanford GSB, on-demand, recorded webinar
* Get Accepted to Wharton, upcoming, live webinar .

Please let me know if you would like help with your MBA applications.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Hello Everyone,

Below is my information. Please help provide some feedback! Thank you much!

Background and nationality:
26 years old, Asian American

Undergrad Information:
University of Houston, 3.75 GPA in Electrical Engineering

GMAT:
Taking this October (2020).

Work experience and leadership
1. 4 years at engineering consulting firm in the power industry straight from college.
2. Completed professional engineering (PE) exam and obtained license.

Community:
1. President of Non-profit Vietnamese Catholic Eucharistic Organization (3 years).
- Organize weekly lesson plan for leaders and youths in parish: 20+ leaders and 150+ youths, ranges from 7 to 18 years old.
- Coordinate volunteers and social events for youth organization.
- Part of organization as a leader for 10 years.
2. Volunteer at Houston Foodbank

Post MBA goals:
- Pivot into strategy and management.
- Start up an engineering consulting firm.

Application:
- Round 2
Send PM
Expert Reply
drzflash wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Below is my information. Please help provide some feedback! Thank you much!

Background and nationality:
26 years old, Asian American

Undergrad Information:
University of Houston, 3.75 GPA in Electrical Engineering

GMAT:
Taking this October (2020).

Work experience and leadership
1. 4 years at engineering consulting firm in the power industry straight from college.
2. Completed professional engineering (PE) exam and obtained license.

Community:
1. President of Non-profit Vietnamese Catholic Eucharistic Organization (3 years).
- Organize weekly lesson plan for leaders and youths in parish: 20+ leaders and 150+ youths, ranges from 7 to 18 years old.
- Coordinate volunteers and social events for youth organization.
- Part of organization as a leader for 10 years.
2. Volunteer at Houston Foodbank

Post MBA goals:
- Pivot into strategy and management.
- Start up an engineering consulting firm.

Application:
- Round 2

What you wrote above is competitive. You also need:

1. A competitive GMAT score.
2. Evidence of impact on the job and off.
3. Evidence of growth in responsibility on your job.

If you have those three items, you have a competitive profile for HBS. Given how competitive HBS is, also apply to other programs including MIT Sloan, Kellogg (consider MMM) , Wharton, Columbia, Darden, Haas, and Ross.

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GRE 1: Q168 V157
Send PM
Hey! I would be really grateful if anyone can evaluate my profile.

Why I want an MBA:

Short term: The goal is to get in Media + Technology Firm.
Long Term: The Goal is to Start my own Content Platform

Why I want one now: To transition into a business/managerial role from a creative role

Target schools: TUCK, Stanford, Harvard,CBS

Background

Work experience: A Filmmaker by profession with 8 Years of experience. Won awards like Forbes Inspiring Filmmaker.

My experience has mostly been working with Netlfix, Star, Hulu, and Lonely Planet in different continents.

GRE score: 325 (Q168, V157)

Extracurricular: Plenty of them!

Undergrad school/major: Bachelor's in Engineering. (7.17/10 CGPA)

Nationality: Indian

Age and Sex: 30/Male

International Experience: Travelled, and worked in over 20+ countries

Concerns: I am Concerned about the highly competitive pool of Indians and my age n the higher side.

Let me know if putting my application to Harvard will be a good bet?

Thanks!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hello all,

I would love to have candid feedback and realistic insights about weaknesses in my profile. I guess the big adcom questions will be why do I need an MBA, especially now, and why not an EMBA?
I know that I am on the older side and that there are plenty of O&G people applying this time around, so I want to make sure that my story is right on point.

Thanks in advance!

Background & Stats:
31F, Black, Dual British & Nigerian citizenship.
Undergrad: King’s College London - Mechanical Engineering
GPA: First Class Honours (Seems to convert to 4.0?) + Jelf Medal (Most distinguished student in the school of Physical Sciences and Engineering)
GMAT: Averaging 720+ on practice tests

Work Experience:
1 year at ExxonMobil as UK Public and Government Affairs Specialist
2 years at Schlumberger as Senior Field Engineer
6 years at Shell: 3 years as Offshore Drilling Engineer, 2 years in a dual role as Contract Manager + Design/Ops Engineer and 1 year as Drilling supervisor
Have worked/lived in several countries and now manage an international team of 100 people on an oil rig for Shell in Norway

Extra Curriculars:
Mentor / STEM Ambassador / Volunteer for Nationwide Engineering Scholarship Trust. Presented at the London International Youth Science Forum and other conferences. Sit on interview panel to help select future engineering talent.
Chair of District H (Europe, Russia, Israel) for the American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
President of College Engineering Society.
Mathematics Mentor and Tutor for underprivileged kids.

Post MBA Goal:
Short term: Pivot into Clean Energy investing.
Long term: Become a leader at a company pioneering the energy transition.

Why now:
Last year my app/GMAT weren’t there yet. I’m now ready and while I’m lucky that employment is not an issue, it is the perfecting timing in terms of growth for my career.

Why not EMBA:
I want the two years full time immersion to maximise my development.

Schools & Application Round:
H/S/W + Haas + Columbia + MIT - Round 2

Thank you!
Send PM
Expert Reply
Lynda89 wrote:
Hello all,

I would love to have candid feedback and realistic insights about weaknesses in my profile. I guess the big adcom questions will be why do I need an MBA, especially now, and why not an EMBA?
I know that I am on the older side and that there are plenty of O&G people applying this time around, so I want to make sure that my story is right on point.

Thanks in advance!

Background & Stats:
GPA: First Class Honours (Seems to convert to 4.0?) + Jelf Medal (Most distinguished student in the school of Physical Sciences and Engineering)

Work Experience:
6 years at Shell: 3 years as Offshore Drilling Engineer, 2 years in a dual role as Contract Manager + Design/Ops Engineer and 1 year as Drilling supervisor
Have worked/lived in several countries and now manage an international team of 100 people on an oil rig for Shell in Norway

Extra Curriculars:
Mentor / STEM Ambassador / Volunteer for Nationwide Engineering Scholarship Trust. Presented at the London International Youth Science Forum and other conferences. Sit on interview panel to help select future engineering talent.
Chair of District H (Europe, Russia, Israel) for the American Society of Mechanical Engineers.

Post MBA Goal:

Why now:
Last year my app/GMAT weren’t there yet. I’m now ready and while I’m lucky that employment is not an issue, it is the perfecting timing in terms of growth for my career.

Why not EMBA:

Thank you!

You are a little more experienced than typical, but given your grades, international experience, and anticipated GMAT, you have a decent chance at these programs. If you get your that GMAT, you'd be applying appropriately. YOu may also want to consider Duke Fuqua, which has a concentration in Energy Finance.

Your answer above to "why now?" is more about why not last year than why now. I suspect that the real answer has to do with your desire to switch into clean energy and the investment side of it and when you decided to change direction. Keep in mind the distinction when responding to that question.

You may be interested in Applying to Regular MBA Programs as an Older Applicant..
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Accepted.com wrote:
Lynda89 wrote:
Hello all,

Thanks in advance!

Background & Stats:

Work Experience:

Extra Curriculars:

Post MBA Goal:

Why now:

Why not EMBA:

Thank you!

You are a little more experienced than typical, but given your grades, international experience, and anticipated GMAT, you have a decent chance at these programs. If you get your that GMAT, you'd be applying appropriately. YOu may also want to consider Duke Fuqua, which has a concentration in Energy Finance.

Your answer above to "why now?" is more about why not last year than why now. I suspect that the real answer has to do with your desire to switch into clean energy and the investment side of it and when you decided to change direction. Keep in mind the distinction when responding to that question.

You may be interested in Applying to Regular MBA Programs as an Older Applicant..

Thanks for the prompt response Linda. Yes reading it back, I did not answer that question as clearly as I should have done.

I had what I wanted to say in my mind, but didn't articulate it well.

Thanks for sharing the link, I've started having a look through and it contains some very helpful things to make sure I address.

Thanks for the feedback!
Send PM
Expert Reply
Lynda89 wrote:
Accepted.com wrote:
Lynda89 wrote:
Hello all,

Thanks in advance!

Background & Stats:

Work Experience:

Extra Curriculars:

Post MBA Goal:

Why now:

Why not EMBA:

Thank you!

You are a little more experienced than typical, but given your grades, international experience, and anticipated GMAT, you have a decent chance at these programs. If you get that GMAT, you'd be applying appropriately. YOu may also want to consider Duke Fuqua, which has a concentration in Energy Finance.

Thanks for the prompt response Linda. Yes reading it back, I did not answer that question as clearly as I should have done.

I had what I wanted to say in my mind, but didn't articulate it well.

Thanks for sharing the link, I've started having a look through and it contains some very helpful things to make sure I address.

Thanks for the feedback!

Hi Lynda,

I'm glad you found my feedback helpful. As long as you answer that question clearly when it's posed to you, you'll do fine. This is good practice and doesn't matter really. :)
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stern '23 (I)
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47 (Online)
Send PM
Hello everyone, would appreciate a review of my profile for Class of 2023:

28 Chinese-American male

Undergrad:Top undergrad finance program, BS Finance (3.0/4.0 GPA)
GMAT:750 (47V, 47Q, 8 IR)

Work Experience: ~6 years upon matriculation
-1 year as an equity trader at smaller proprietary trading firm in NYC
-1 year as client relationship manager / business development role at one of the major credit rating agencies (think Moody's / S&P / Fitch)
-4 years active duty military logistics officer

Why an MBA now: My military service obligation ends in August 2021, at which time I plan to enter a full-time MBA program to transition back to the private sector.
Post-MBA goal: Strategy consulting, longer-term would like to help firms with business development in China / Indo-Pacific region and improve capital flows between U.S. and China.

Other schools: Stanford, Wharton, MIT, Columbia
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  28   29   30   31   32   33   34  ...  53   
Moderators:
HBS and Wharton Moderator
55 posts
HBS & Haas Moderator
151 posts