Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:36 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28574 [55]
Given Kudos: 130
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28574 [14]
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28574 [8]
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Cosimo de’ Medici, a great patron of the arts, sponsoring two of Dona [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Two things about E

1. The first IC seems to have two verbs namely 'was' and sponsored and the second IC has one verb 'supported.' If this was meant to be a compound sentence, then the first IC seems to lack the customary 'and' between the two verbs. Also, was is a linking verb and supported is an action verb; It is doubtful whether we can parallelize a linking verb with an action verb.

2. The original text says that Cosimo sponsored two of the Donatello's most famous works and while E distorts the original context by saying that he sponsored both of his famous works as if Donatallo produced only two famous works.

Therefore, E is flawed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: Cosimo de’ Medici, a great patron of the arts, sponsoring two of Dona [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi Mike,

This is a very good question. Really nested structure. I managed to mark the correct answer, although "sponsored" in C tempted a lot but "and supporting" helped me eliminate this choice. Choices A & E can be straight away rejected because of their non-grammatical construction. D changes the meaning. B is what I believe the correct construction and conveys the intended meaning. In B, parts after the opening clause "Cosimo de’ Medici was a great patron of the arts" completely modify this opening clause and do nothing else, making the sentence correct.

Please let me know if my understanding is correct?

I am not sure why this question is labeled sub 600.

Regards
Yash
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [1]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Mike,

Is the line of reasoning correct?

known as better as compared to known to be v/s that is known as v/s known by

(A) Cosimo de’ Medici, a great patron of the arts, sponsoring two of Donatello's most famous works, statues of David and Judith, while supporting Brunelleschi to complete the dome of the cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, which is known to be

(B) Cosimo de’ Medici was a great patron of the arts, sponsoring two of Donatello's most famous works, statues of David and Judith, and supporting Brunelleschi in completing the dome of the cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, known as

(C) Cosimo de’ Medici, a great patron of the arts, sponsored both of Donatello's most famous works, a statue of David and a statue of Judith, and supporting Brunelleschi when he completed the dome of the cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, that is known as

(D) Cosimo de’ Medici, a great patron of the arts, sponsoring the most famous two Donatello works, statues of David and Judith, he supported Brunelleschi in completing the dome of the cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, known by

(E) Cosimo de’ Medici was a great patron of the arts, sponsored both of Donatello most famous works, statues of David and Judith, and he supported Brunelleschi when he completed the dome of the cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, known as
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28574 [0]
Expert Reply
Yash26 wrote:
Hi Mike,

This is a very good question. Really nested structure. I managed to mark the correct answer, although "sponsored" in C tempted a lot but "and supporting" helped me eliminate this choice. Choices A & E can be straight away rejected because of their non-grammatical construction. D changes the meaning. B is what I believe the correct construction and conveys the intended meaning. In B, parts after the opening clause "Cosimo de’ Medici was a great patron of the arts" completely modify this opening clause and do nothing else, making the sentence correct.

Please let me know if my understanding is correct?

I am not sure why this question is labeled sub 600.

Regards
Yash

Dear Yash,

I'm happy to respond. :-) Yes, (B) is the OA. I would agree with most of what you said, but I would say that technically, (E) is grammatically correct but rhetorically flawed: it's an example of "automatic pilot parallelism," in which every verb is automatically put in parallel with everything else irrespective of meaning.

And yes, you are correct about (B). The independent clause is simply "Cosimo de’ Medici was a great patron of the arts," and the whole rest of the sentence consists of two gigantic participial phrases in parallel: "sponsoring . . . and supporting . . . " The first participial phrase has an appositive phrase nested inside of it, and the second one has another participial phrase nested inside it.

Notice that the tag is 600-700. I would agree it's not sub 600, but whether it is in the 600-700 range or 700+ is anyone's guess. Actually, I am deeply suspicious of this entire enterprise of assigning "score values" to individual questions. See this blog article:
Is this a 700+ level GMAT question?

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 233
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Retail Banking)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
Cosimo de’ Medici, a great patron of the arts, sponsoring two of Donatello's most famous works, statues of David and Judith, while supporting Brunelleschi to complete the dome of the cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, which is known to be "Duomo."

(A) Cosimo de’ Medici, a great patron of the arts, sponsoring two of Donatello's most famous works, statues of David and Judith, while supporting Brunelleschi to complete the dome of the cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, which is known to be

(B) Cosimo de’ Medici was a great patron of the arts, sponsoring two of Donatello's most famous works, statues of David and Judith, and supporting Brunelleschi in completing the dome of the cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, known as

(C) Cosimo de’ Medici, a great patron of the arts, sponsored both of Donatello's most famous works, a statue of David and a statue of Judith, and supporting Brunelleschi when he completed the dome of the cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, that is known as

(D) Cosimo de’ Medici, a great patron of the arts, sponsoring the most famous two Donatello works, statues of David and Judith, he supported Brunelleschi in completing the dome of the cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, known by

(E) Cosimo de’ Medici was a great patron of the arts, sponsored both of Donatello most famous works, statues of David and Judith, and he supported Brunelleschi when he completed the dome of the cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, known as

The GMAT loves Nested Grammatical Structures --- that is one structure packed inside another. These produce very long sentences, and long SC questions, such as the one above. For a discussion of these structures, as well as the OE for this particular question, see:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/nested-gr ... orrection/

A) verb is missing ..and known to be doesn't make sense

B) verb 'was' is correctly used and known as is rightly used

C) sponsored is past tense while supporting is continuous tense ..tense usage error

D)same problem as C

E) fragment
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
Cosimo de’ Medici, a great patron of the arts, sponsoring two of Donatello's most famous works, statues of David and Judith, while supporting Brunelleschi to complete the dome of the cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, which is known to be "Duomo."

The GMAT loves Nested Grammatical Structures --- that is one structure packed inside another. These produce very long sentences, and long SC questions, such as the one above. For a discussion of these structures, as well as the OE for this particular question, see:

A--missing Verb
B--looks good.
C-llism issue.
D--Missing Verb for main subject(Cosimo de' Medici).
E--He --Pronoun ambiguity

for me it is B..

Nice post Mike.

mikemcgarry , i have a question:

if we replace ing modifier with ed- modifier in B...

Cosimo de’ Medici was a great patron of the arts, sponsored two of Donatello's most famous works, statues of David and Judith, and supported Brunelleschi in completing the dome of the cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, known as

Is this sentence correct...?

I think this sentence is correct grammatically..but it is kind of false llism ...making every sentence parallel but in main sentence emphasis is more given on "Cosimo de' Medici was a great patron of the arts"..then extending to his all support and works....

Is my understanding correct.?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: International Business, Operations
WE:Design (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
In the option B
As comma is followed by -ing modifier it is a adverbial modifier.
As a adverbial modifier it explains both of the events happening at once.
Pls clarify option B.
request you to correct me if i'm wrong
mikemcgarry wrote:
Cosimo de’ Medici, a great patron of the arts, sponsoring two of Donatello’s most famous works, statues of David and Judith, while supporting Brunelleschi to complete the dome of the cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, which is known to be “Duomo.”

(A) Cosimo de’ Medici, a great patron of the arts, sponsoring two of Donatello’s most famous works, statues of David and Judith, while supporting Brunelleschi to complete the dome of the cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, which is known to be

(B) Cosimo de’ Medici was a great patron of the arts, sponsoring two of Donatello’s most famous works, statues of David and Judith, and supporting Brunelleschi in completing the dome of the cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, known as

(C) Cosimo de’ Medici, a great patron of the arts, sponsored both of Donatello’s most famous works, a statue of David and a statue of Judith, and supporting Brunelleschi when he completed the dome of the cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, that is known as

(E) Cosimo de’ Medici was a great patron of the arts, sponsored both of Donatello’s most famous works, statues of David and Judith, and he supported Brunelleschi when he completed the dome of the cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, known as

Some GMAT SC sentences are like Russian dolls---one grammatical form is neatly packed inside another: perhaps an infinitive phrase plays a modifying role within a participial phrase, or subordinate clause modifies one of the nouns within a gerund phrase. The combinations are endless. I call this phenomenal Nested Grammatical Structures. For a discussion of such structures, as well as the OE for this particular question, see:

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
my final choices were B and E.
i went with B as the second 'he' in E was ambiguous and the support from Medici was after Donatello completed his work, which also seemed wrong.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5652 [0]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM

Official Explanation

The subject of this question is the great Cosimo de' Medici, and mentions the great artists Donatello and Brunelleschi.

We need a full verb, and somehow the verbs "support" & "sponsor" need to be in parallel.

(A) de' Medici … sponsoring … while supporting …

This one commits the famous "missing verb" mistake. It is incorrect.

(B) de' Medici was… sponsoring … while supporting …

Correct.

(C) This one is grammatically correct and logically incorrect. This changes the meaning by suggest that Cosimo de-Medici sponsored Donatello in order to sponsor Brunelleschi, that it was necessary to sponsor one man in order to sponsor the other. This is a very different meaning from the prompt. This is not correct.

(D) de' Medici … sponsoring … he supported …

This one commits the double-subject mistake.

(E) de' Medici was… sponsored … and he supported … This is incorrect.

This is a variant of the double-subject mistake: [noun][verb], [verb], "and" [pronoun][verb]. This is incorrect.

The only possible answer is (B).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 729 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:

Hi Mike. Thanks for posting these awesome questions and articles.
Can you please help me know whether the mentioned version of D is correct?
Sponsoring the most famous two Donatello works, statues of David and Judith, Cosimo de’ Medici, a great patron of the arts, supported Brunelleschi in completing the dome of the cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, known by
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
sobby wrote:
Nice post Mike.

mikemcgarry , i have a question:

if we replace ing modifier with ed- modifier in B...

Cosimo de’ Medici was a great patron of the arts, sponsored two of Donatello's most famous works, statues of David and Judith, and supported Brunelleschi in completing the dome of the cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, known as

Is this sentence correct...?

I think this sentence is correct grammatically..but it is kind of false llism ...making every sentence parallel but in main sentence emphasis is more given on "Cosimo de' Medici was a great patron of the arts"..then extending to his all support and works....

Is my understanding correct.?

Dear sobby,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, my friend, I would strongly recommend learning the correct names of the modifiers. There is a side of grammar that is very precise, and part of understanding that precision includes using the precise names.
1) What you call the -ing modifier is the present participle.
2) What you call the -ed modifier is the past participle.
You can read about these in this blog about participles.

The answer to your question is no. The sentence would be 100% incorrect with the change you suggest. You see, the present participle is an active participle, while the past participle is a passive participle.
3) The man cooking the stew said XYZ.
In #3, the present participle "cooking" modifies "man," and the man is the person performing the action of cooking.
4) The stew, cooked in a crock pot for eight hours, tastes delicious.
In #4, the past participle "cooked" modifies "stew," and the stew is the passive recipient of the action of cooking.

In (B), the two active participles, "sponsoring" and "supporting," apply to the subject. The passive participles "sponsored" and "supported" would apply, not to the subject & actor Cosimo de' Medici, but to the recipients of the action. Using the passive participles would require a complete reorganization of the sentence.

Rather than using the past tense forms as participles, we could insert a pronoun subject and change them to past tense verbs. This would produce a new clause, so to avoid a run-on sentence, we would have to use a colon or semicolon.

Cosimo de’ Medici was a great patron of the arts: he sponsored two of Donatello's most famous works, statues of David and Judith, and he supported Brunelleschi in completing the dome of the cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, known as "Duomo."

That version is perfectly correct.

Does all this make sense?

Hi Mike,
The OA is constructed as below -
The man said XYZ, cooking the stew.
Is that acceptable.

CDM was great patron, sponsoring ......, & supporting ......

Seems odd to me - a non native speaker.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:

Use of verb-ing to give an example or examples is a nuance. Usually a verb-ing at the end of a clause expresses the outcome of the action in the main clause, but in the case above verb-ing modifies "a great patron of arts" by giving example.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
I was able to eliminate all the wrong answers but in initially I thought option B was wrong too because "and supporting ....." doesn't seem a complete statement. And technically 'comma + and' must be a complete statement. Can you clear this doubt?
Thank you
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Cosimo de Medici, a great patron of the arts, sponsoring two of Dona [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Cosimo de Medici, a great patron of the arts, sponsoring two of Dona [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts