Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:07 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Parallelismx   Subject Verb Agreementx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38839 [92]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [37]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V45
Send PM
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14675 [11]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [4]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Cost cutting and restructuring has allowed the manufacturing company [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
AbdurRakib wrote:
Cost cutting and restructuring has allowed the manufacturing company to lower its projected losses for the second quarter, and they are forecasting a profit before the end of the year.

A. has allowed the manufacturing company to lower its projected losses for the second quarter, and they are forecasting
B. has allowed for the manufacturing company to lower its projected losses in the second quarter and to forecast
C. have allowed that the manufacturing company can lower the projected losses for the second quarter, and to forecast
D. have allowed the manufacturing company to lower its projected second-quarter losses and to forecast
E. have allowed for the manufacturing company to lower the projected losses in the second quarter, as well as forecasting

Concepts tested here: Subject-Verb Agreement + Grammatical Construction + Parallelism + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• The conjunction "and" joins singular nouns to form a plural noun phrase.
• Any elements linked by a conjunction ("and" and "as well as" in this case) must be parallel.

A: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun phrase "Cost cutting and restructuring" with the singular verb "has allowed"; please remember, the conjunction "and" joins singular nouns to form a plural noun phrase.

B: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun phrase "Cost cutting and restructuring" with the singular verb "has allowed"; please remember, the conjunction "and" joins singular nouns to form a plural noun phrase.

C: This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism between "that the manufacturing company can lower the projected losses for the second quarter" and "to forecast a profit before the end of the year"; remember, any elements linked by a conjunction ("and" in this case) must be parallel. Further, Option C uses the needlessly wordy and indirect phrase "that the manufacturing company can lower", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

D: Correct. This answer choice correctly refers to the plural noun phrase "Cost cutting and restructuring" with the plural verb "have allowed". Further, Option D maintains parallelism between "to lower its projected second-quarter losses" and "to forecast a profit before the end of the year". Additionally, Option D is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

E: This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism between "to lower the projected losses in the second quarter" and "forecasting a profit before the end of the year"; remember, any elements linked by a conjunction ("as well as" in this case) must be parallel.

Hence, D is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "And" versus Other Conjunctions on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [8]
Given Kudos: 129
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q42 V20
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
Re: Cost cutting and restructuring has allowed the manufacturing company [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Cost cutting and restructuring has allowed the manufacturing company to lower its projected losses for the second quarter, and they are forecasting a profit before the end of the year.

A. has allowed the manufacturing company to lower its projected losses for the second quarter, and they are forecasting
B. has allowed for the manufacturing company to lower its projected losses in the second quarter and to forecast
C. have allowed that the manufacturing company can lower the projected losses for the second quarter, and to forecast
D. have allowed the manufacturing company to lower its projected second-quarter losses and to forecast
E. have allowed for the manufacturing company to lower the projected losses in the second quarter, as well as forecasting
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Re: Cost cutting and restructuring has allowed the manufacturing company [#permalink]
Kudos
Official Explanation:

Agreement; Idiom; Verb form
The point of the sentence is to explain the
two main e ects of the changes made by
the company. However, the singular verb has allowed does not agree with the compound subject cost cutting and restructuring, which are far more plausibly understood as two actions rather than as two facets of a single action. In principle, the manufacturing company could be construed as plural (referring collectively to the decision makers and spokespeople who are projecting losses and forecasting a pro t), but the plural pronoun they does not agree with the earlier its, which treats the antecedent as singular.

A e singular verb has allowed does not agree with the compound subject cost cutting
and restructuring; the plural pronoun they does not agree with the intended singular antecedent company.

B e singular verb has allowed does not agree with the compound subject cost cutting and restructuring; allowed for is not the correct idiom.

C Allowed that is not the correct idiom; can lower and to forecast are not grammatically parallel.

D Correct. e sentence uses the correct subject–verb combination cost cutting
and restructuring have allowed; the two occurrences of the pronoun its agree with each other in treating their antecedent company as singular; and the two e ects to lower and to forecast are parallel and idiomatic.

E Allowed for is not the correct idiom; to lower and as well as forecasting are not parallel.
e correct answer is D.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [1]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:

A -> SV Agreement and "they" for a single company
B -> SV Agreement
C -> Parallelism Error.
D -> Perfect
E -> "as well as" when we can use "and". And even if you ignore that forecasting is not parallel to lower.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7629 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
This has a plural subject and therefore the first thing to look for is subject verb agreement. In the options, you see options with ‘has’ and ‘have’.

Eliminate Options A and B for incorrect SVA.

Now move to Options C, D, and E.

You are now looking for parallelism between ‘lower’ and ‘forecast’

We find that only Option D maintains the correct parallelism ‘to lower’ and ‘to forecast’.

Eliminate Options C and E.

Option D is the best choice.

Hope this helps!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1322 [1]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Kudos
AbdurRakib wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2018
Practice Question
Sentence Correction
Question No.: 685

A. has allowed the manufacturing company to lower its projected losses for the second quarter, and they are forecasting - Wrong: 1) SV 2) Pronoun 3) Verb
B. has allowed for the manufacturing company to lower its projected losses in the second quarter and to forecast - Wrong: 1) SV 2) Meaning
C. have allowed that the manufacturing company can lower the projected losses for the second quarter, and to forecast - Wrong: 1) Idiom
D. have allowed the manufacturing company to lower its projected second-quarter losses and to forecast - Correct
E. have allowed for the manufacturing company to lower the projected losses in the second quarter, as well as forecasting - Wrong: 1) Meaning 2) Parallelism 3) Idiom
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Hi,

While I understand the rationale behind the choosing Option 'D', request the following clarification.

Let us suppose on the options had the following:
"have allowed for the manufacturing company to lower its projected losses for the second quarter, and to forecast"

Would this still be incorrect? Why can't we use "have allowed for" as the idiom considering the subjects are inanimate?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7776 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Rahul2022 I'm afraid not. The trouble with "have allowed for" is that it means something totally different from "allow." To "allow for" something is to include it as a possibility in one's plans. For instance, if I am giving a 30-minute talk, I might schedule a 45-minute session to allow for a late start, or to allow for questions at the end. This is different from ALLOWING the questions to be asked or ALLOWING me to start late. It's simply leaving room in case these things happen. We can leave room for an event or phenomenon (traffic, rain, questions, disagreement, overtime, inflation, etc.), but not for "the company to lower its costs."

Also, notice that the inanimate subject actually makes that option worse. Even if "allow for" were what we wanted, an inanimate subject can't plan to leave room for something--only people (or at least a plan made by people) can.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Hi, @dabaobao
Can you explain what would be the correct idiom use in Option C and E?

C. have allowed that the manufacturing company can lower the projected losses for the second quarter, and to forecast - Wrong: 1) Idiom
D. have allowed the manufacturing company to lower its projected second-quarter losses and to forecast - Correct
E. have allowed for the manufacturing company to lower the projected losses in the second quarter, as well as forecasting - Wrong: 1) Meaning 2) Parallelism 3) Idiom[/quote]
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Rdbasak wrote:
Hi, @dabaobao
Can you explain what would be the correct idiom use in Option C and E?

E. have allowed for the manufacturing company to lower the projected losses in the second quarter, as well as forecasting - Wrong: 1) Meaning 2) Parallelism 3) Idiom
[/quote]

Hello Rdbasak,

Although your question is not for me, allow me to help you with this one. :-)

The correct idiom has been used in Choice D - have allowed the manufacturing company to lower something. The usage of that and for after have allowed in Choices C & E respectively is incorrect. The word allow is always followed by the "to verb" phrase. This is the usage we see in the correct answer choice D. Hence, it is correct.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Schools: Kelley (A)
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36
GRE 1: Q166 V157
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
In the official answer key. It is written: "
the manufacturing company could be
construed as plural (referring collectively to
the decision makers and spokespeople who are
projecting losses and forecasting a profit) "
Shouldn't it be singular ?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos