It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 17:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Each species of moth has an optimal body temperature for effective fli

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 418 [1], given: 886

Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: Each species of moth has an optimal body temperature for effective fli [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2015, 10:28
This post received
KUDOS
naeln wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the passage?
Each species of moth has an optimal body temperature for effective flight, and when air temperatures fall much below that temperature, the moths typically have to remain inactive on vegetation for extended periods, leaving them highly vulnerable to predators. In general, larger moths can fly faster than smaller ones and hence have better chance of evading flying predators, but they also have higher optimal body temperatures, which explains why
-----------------
A. Large moths are generally able to maneuver better in flight than smaller moths
B. Large moths are proportionally much more common in warm climates than in cool climates
C. Small moths are more likely than large moths to be effectively camouflaged while on vegetation
D. Large moths typically have wings that are larger in proportion to their body size than smaller moths do
E. Most predators of moths prey not only on several different species of moth but also on various species of other insects

Can any one explain how to go about this question?

Premise - Moths have optimal body temperature for effective flight and when the temperature drops the moths have to remain inactive - highly vulnerable to predators
Large moths can fly faster than small ones but they have higher optimal body temperatures.

If Large moths have higher optimal temperature then they would most commonly be found in areas which have relatively higher temperature.
If they live in areas which have lower temperature then they would be vulnerable to predators.
Only Option B supports this.

A. Large moths are generally able to maneuver better in flight than smaller moths
- There is no mention of maneuvering in the argument.
B. Large moths are proportionally much more common in warm climates than in cool climates
- Right choice for the reason stated above.
C. Small moths are more likely than large moths to be effectively camouflaged while on vegetation
- The argument does not mention anything about camouflaging.
D. Large moths typically have wings that are larger in proportion to their body size than smaller moths do
- The argument does not mention anything about wing size.
E. Most predators of moths prey not only on several different species of moth but also on various species of other insects
- There is no mention of other species

Kudos me if you like the post !!!

Kudos me if you like my post !!!!

Kudos [?]: 418 [1], given: 886

1 KUDOS received
Queens MBA Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 126 [1], given: 45

Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Re: Each species of moth has an optimal body temperature for effective fli [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2015, 08:26
This post received
KUDOS
naeln wrote:
Each species of moth has an optimal body temperature for effective flight, and when air temperatures fall much below that temperature, the moths typically have to remain inactive on vegetation for extended periods, leaving them highly vulnerable to predators. In general, larger moths can fly faster than smaller ones and hence have better chance of evading flying predators, but they also have higher optimal body temperatures, which explains why
-----------------

Can any one explain how to go about this question?

Moths - Inactive when temp falls below optimal Temp.
If inactive, then Moths are venerable and can be killed.

Optimal Temp of Big Moth is higher than Optimal temp of Small moth.
Big Moth Speed > Small moth's speed.

Pre thinking :
1. Big moth are More in numbers in warm whether since attackers will kill small one first.

Nice fact, but it is not supported by argument. Out of scope.

Correct matched Pre thinking. Supported by argument.

Out of scope. This comparison has not been discussed in argument.

Out of scope. Wings size not discussed

Out of scope. Predators taste is not discussed.

Answer : Option B

Kudos [?]: 126 [1], given: 45

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 477 [0], given: 412

GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE: Business Development (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2015, 22:49
kinjiGC wrote:
Each species of moth has an optimal body temperature for effective flight, and when air temperatures fall much below that temperature, the moths typically have to remain inactive on vegetation for extended periods, leaving them highly vulnerable to predators. In general, larger moths can fly faster than smaller ones and hence have a better chance of evading flying predators, but they also have higher optimal body temperatures, which explains why ______.

B. large moths are proportionally much more common in warm climates than in cool climates
This option talks about why more larger moth are present in warm climates compared to cool climates as larger moth has higher optimal temperatures -> Correct

kinjiGC thanks for the explanation

I feel there is no Logically connectivity when B is plugged and the sentence is read as a whole.

In general, larger moths can fly faster than smaller ones and hence have a better chance of evading flying predators, but they also have higher optimal body temperatures, which explains why large moths are proportionally much more common in warm climates than in cool climates.

Generally BUT is used to spot out contradictions : Ex: I walk very fast , but I cannot Run.

Kudos [?]: 477 [0], given: 412

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2016, 04:49
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

Verbal Forum Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 11:20
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 32

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 219

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.65
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2017, 09:22
neeshpal wrote:

Each species of moth has an optimal body temperature for effective flight, and when air temperatures fall much below that temperature, the moths typically have to remain inactive on vegetation for extended periods, leaving them highly vulnerable to predators. In general, larger moths can fly faster than smaller ones and hence have a better chance of evading flying predators, but they also have higher optimal body temperatures, which explains why _______.

(A) large moths are generally able to maneuver better in flight than smaller moths

(B) large moths are proportionally much more common in warm climates than in cool climates

(C) small moths are more likely than large moths to be effectively camouflaged while on vegetation

(D) large moths typically have wings that are larger in proportion to their body size than smaller moths do

(E) most predators of moths prey not only on several different species of moth but also on various species of other insects

IMO, straight B.

Only B that contains and have the relationship with the "temperature".

There's an app for that - Steve Jobs.

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 219

Re: Each species of moth has an optimal body temperature for effective fli   [#permalink] 22 Oct 2017, 09:22

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

Each species of moth has an optimal body temperature for effective fli

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap