Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:39 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619084 [16]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Concentration: Technology, Nonprofit
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
WE:Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32880 [2]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4690 [1]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: For a contest at the upcoming county fair, Marie advocates for a ring [#permalink]
Kudos
sandman13 wrote:
Between B and D, I choose D. The second part of B (the word invalidates) is too strong.

Posted from my mobile device

carcass has very well explained the reason for choosing (B)

Further , the highlighted part in (D) is incorrect

Quote:
D. The first is an argument promoting one activity; the second is an argument against promoting that activity.

Check carefully, both the highlighted parts of the sentence pertain to Marie's idea of ring toss...

Quote:
because the ring toss is consistently the favorite activity of the children who attend the fair

Here Marie argues the reason for choosing ring toss

Quote:
Marie rebuts that those who can afford to spend more on raffle tickets will have better chances of winning.

Here Marie argues against Anne's idea of a raffle and argues in favour of ring toss.

Hope this helps !!!
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8810 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
For a contest at the upcoming county fair, Marie advocates for a ring [#permalink]
Kudos
For a contest at the upcoming county fair, Marie advocates for a ring toss because the ring toss is consistently the favorite activity of the children who attend the fair. Anne, however, points out that adults win most of the prizes when playing ring toss. To make the chances of winning fair for everyone, Anne proposes a raffle. Marie rebuts that those who can afford to spend more on raffle tickets will have better chances of winning. The two agree to hold a raffle in which each person can buy only one ticket.

The two boldface portions in the argument above are best described by which of the following statements?
1st BF - Reason for Marie initial claim
2nd BF - Goes against Anne proposal
Main conclusion - The two agree to hold a raffle in which each person can buy only one ticket.

A. The first is an example of one activity; the second is an argument in favor of choosing that activity. - Incorrect - the first is the reasons behind Marie's claim and second is not in favor of 1st activity

B. The first is an argument promoting one activity; the second invalidates the reason for promoting the other activity. - Correct

C. The first is the conclusion of one of the participants; the second is an argument that supports that conclusion. - Incorrect - BF1 is not a conclusion and neither does BF2 support that

D. The first is an argument promoting one activity; the second is an argument against promoting that activity. - Incorrect - BF2 does not go against promoting activity in BF1

E. The first is the conclusion of one of the participants; the second invalidates the other participant's reasoning. - Incorrect - BF1 is not a conclusion , though BF2 seems okay

Answer B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Re: For a contest at the upcoming county fair, Marie advocates for a ring [#permalink]
invalidate in B is too strong a word.The 2nd BF does not invalidate.It says to use another form of the activity.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 445
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
Send PM
redskull1 wrote:
invalidate in B is too strong a word.The 2nd BF does not invalidate.It says to use another form of the activity.

Hi redskull1,

My 2 cents,

I don't think invalidate is too strong a word in the context the word 'rebut' used in the argument. Marie disproves Anne's reasoning by which she's trying to propose raffle.

Hope this helps.

Saurabh
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
sandman13 wrote:
Between B and D, I choose D. The second part of B (the word invalidates) is too strong.

Posted from my mobile device

D has a "that" which might refer back to "ring toss" but it should actually refer to the "raffle"
B would be my answer
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
(A) The first statement is not an example; it is a premise upon which Marie's initial conclusion is based. The second statement is not a premise in favor of choosing Marie's activity (the ring toss); it merely invalidates Anne's argument for her preferred activity (the raffle).

(B) CORRECT. The first statement is a premise upon which Marie's initial conclusion is based. The second statement invalidates Anne's reasoning for promoting her preferred activity (the raffle).

(C) The first statement is not a conclusion; it is a premise upon which Marie's initial conclusion is based. The second statement is not a premise in favor of choosing Marie's activity (the ring toss); it merely invalidates Anne's argument for her preferred activity (the raffle).

(D) The first statement is a premise upon which Marie's initial conclusion is based. However, the second statement does not argue against that activity (the ring toss); rather, it argues against Anne's activity (the raffle).

(E) The first statement is not a conclusion; it is a premise upon which Marie's initial conclusion is based. The second statement does invalidate Anne's reasoning for promoting her preferred activity (the raffle).
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts