Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 03:47 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 03:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 705-805 Levelx   Inferencex   Must be Truex                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2291 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [1]
Given Kudos: 238
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38 (Online)
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Tutor
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
For a trade embargo against a particular country to succeed, a high de [#permalink]
avigutman wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:
(i) Every driver would be likely to crash at some time
(ii) Every driver will crash at some time

Is there any difference between these two ?

Too me, both are one of the same

jabhatta2 no.
"will happen" and "likely to happen" are NOT synonymous. There's a crucial difference in meaning. Please look up the definitions.

If I know that I'm likely to live past my 70th birthday, I'll still purchase a 20-year life insurance policy just in case - so that my family is taken care of.
If I know that I will live past my 70th birthday - well, that insurance policy is a complete waste of money!

Thanks avigutman

So in the case of the yellow highlighted example - i may live beyond 70 or I may not live beyond 70

Here is how I re-phrase option D (2nd attempt)

Quote:
(D) Any trade embargo against Patria would be likely to fail at some time.

Any trade embargo against Patria MAY SUCCEED OR MAY NOT SUCCEED
OR
Any trade embargo against Patria MAY FAIL OR MAY NOT FAIL

Both of these are synonymous re-phrases of D (as Fail and Succeed are antonyms of each other)
VP
VP
Send PM
For a trade embargo against a particular country to succeed, a high de [#permalink]
avigutman wrote:
Roy867 wrote:
I chose (E) but realised 2 mistakes.

1. 'high degree accord' is not same as 'unanimous'
- The argument says a 'high degree of both international accord'. It can be 80%, it can be 90% but doesn't say it has to be completely unanimous.

2. Inference questions require something to be inferred.
- In E we can't infer that ' international opinion must be unanimous '. Even if it was written in argument, we can't infer the same thing.

Roy867 Please also note that E is talking about what's necessary for a blockade to be successful, whereas the text only discusses what's necessary for an embargo to be successful.

I think most people are confusing
- embargos
For
- blockades

Given the words are inter-changeable, i was confusing the two.

I was thinking the requirements for a succesful embargo are the same requirements for a succesful blockade - you need a high degree of international accord in both cases

In fact - the text doesnt mention anyhting about what it takes to have a succesfful blockade

Hence
Quote:
(option E variant # 1) For a blockade of Patria's ports to be successful, international opinion must be unanimous have high international accord = this variant of option E, would be wrong as well as we are not told anything about what it takes to have a succesfful blockade

(option E variant # 2) For a embargo blockade of Patria's ports to be successful, international opinion must have high international accord = this 2nd variant of option E would be right

Quote:
option C variant #1 ) A naval blockade of Patria's ports would ensure that no goods enter or leave Patria == well, a succesful blockade may or may not. We are not told anything about succesful blockades, we are told about succesful embargos

option C variant #2) A naval succesful embargo of Patria's ports would ensure that no goods enter or leave Patria == for a succesful embargo, you need "high degree" of blockage. The blockage doesnt have to be 100 %. Hence wrong.

option C variant #3) A naval succesful embargo of Patria's ports would ensure MOST goods do not enter or leave Patria == i think this is inferable
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
I was thinking the requirements for a succesful embargo are the same requirements for a succesful blockade - you need a high degree of international accord in both cases

jabhatta2 that means you misread the first sentence:
For a trade embargo against a particular country to succeed, a high degree of both international accord and ability to prevent goods from entering or leaving that country must be sustained.

Rephrase: The following two conditions must be sustained in order for a trade embargo against a particular country to succeed:
    1. a high degree of international accord
    2. a high degree of ability to prevent goods from entering or leaving that country

And, in the second sentence, we learn the following about "blockade":
A total blockade of Patria's ports is necessary to an embargo
But, what's necessary for a total blockade? We don't know. The directionality of the logic in that second sentence is very important. It's not a 2-way street.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Re: For a trade embargo against a particular country to succeed, a high de [#permalink]
Hi Karishma,

With (D) aren't we assuming that the trade embargo will likely fail since we have 1 of 2 conditions required for a successful embargo? If we assume what's been given in the argument (condition 1 - trade blockade) then with B we should be able to have a successful trade embargo. I didn't select (D) because the assumption that makes (D) correct also makes (B) correct. Please clarify.

KarishmaB wrote:
courtdancer wrote:
For a trade embargo against a particular country to
succeed, a high degree of both international accord
and ability to prevent goods from entering or leaving
that country must be sustained. A total blockade of
Patria’s ports is necessary to an embargo, but such an
action would be likely to cause international discord
over the embargo.
The claims above, if true, most strongly support which
of the following conclusions?
(A) The balance of opinion is likely to favor Patria in
the event of a blockade.
(B) As long as international opinion is unanimously
against Patria, a trade embargo is likely to
succeed.
(C) A naval blockade of Patria’s ports would ensure
that no goods enter or leave Patria.
(D) Any trade embargo against Patria would be likely
to fail at some time.
(E) For a blockade of Patria’s ports to be
successful, international opinion must be
unanimous.

would anyone kindly give me an explanation about this question?
better analyse each choice,thanks so much

Good call USCTrojan2006, Amit and Akshat...
Let me point out an important concept used in this question - that of necessary conditions.

Premises:
- International accord and ability to prevent goods from moving are necessary for a trade embargo to succeed.
- A total blockade of Patria’s ports is necessary to an embargo (to prevent goods from moving)
- but such an action would be likely to cause international discord over the embargo.

Two conditions are necessary for embargo to be successful. One of these conditions, if met, is likely to make the other condition fail.

What can I conclude without looking at the options?
That trade embargo in Patria is likely to fail.

(A) The balance of opinion is likely to favor Patria in
the event of a blockade.

We cannot conclude whether opinion will favor Patria.

(B) As long as international opinion is unanimously
against Patria, a trade embargo is likely to
succeed.

No. We need to block the ports too if we want the embargo to succeed. International opinion is not enough.

(C) A naval blockade of Patria’s ports would ensure
that no goods enter or leave Patria.

No information about the effectiveness of naval blockade.

(D) Any trade embargo against Patria would be likely
to fail at some time.
Got it!

(E) For a blockade of Patria’s ports to be
successful, international opinion must be
unanimous.

We don't know what will ensure successful blockade. We just know that blockade is likely to cause discord.
VP
VP
Send PM
Hi avigutman - if i understand the argument - for a Patria trade embargo to succeed - you need 3 necessary conditions

Quote:
Condition #1 : a high degree of international accord must be sustained
condition # 2 : a high degree of the ability to prevent goods from entering or leaving that country must be sustained
Condition # 3 : A total blockade of Patria's ports

Then in the last sentence of the argument, we are told
Quote:
A total blockade of Patria's ports is necessary to an embargo, but such an action would be likely to cause international discord over the embargo.

If you read the red -- condition # 3 MAY SOMETIMES (not everytime, but sometimes) lead to condition # 1 failing

Originally posted by jabhatta2 on 08 Aug 2022, 11:14.
Last edited by jabhatta2 on 08 Aug 2022, 15:12, edited 16 times in total.
VP
VP
Send PM
With that understanding - i think the word "Any" in option D is wrong.

Quote:

I think the word "Any" in this context can be thought of like this -

attempt # A : patria embargo attempted in 2018
attempt # B : patria embargo attempted in 2019
attempt # C : patria embargo attempted in 2020
attempt # D : patria embargo attempted in 2021

Originally posted by jabhatta2 on 08 Aug 2022, 11:15.
Last edited by jabhatta2 on 08 Aug 2022, 15:00, edited 5 times in total.
VP
VP
Send PM
^^ now according to option D -- all four attempts (A,B,C and D) are destined to fail (atleast per my understanding of option D)

However - i dont think its accurate to infer ALL 4 attempts will definitely fail.

Maybe during attempt # C in 2020 -- condition # 3 DID NOT lead to condition # 1 failing

Remember condition # 3 DOES NOT ALWAYS LEAD to condition # 1 failing.

So maybe Attempt # C in 2020 succeeded.
Tutor
Send PM
Re: For a trade embargo against a particular country to succeed, a high de [#permalink]
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
^^ now according to option D -- all four attempts (A,B,C and D) are destined to fail (atleast per my understanding of option D)

However - i dont think its accurate to infer ALL 4 attempts will definitely fail.

Please spot the difference and articulate the different meanings of these:
(D_Original) Any trade embargo against Patria would be likely to fail at some time.
(D_Variation) Any trade embargo against Patria must fail.
I suspect that you interpreted D_Original as D_Variation, jabhatta2.
VP
VP
Send PM
avigutman wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:

(D_Original) Any trade embargo against Patria would be likely to fail at some time.

Here is response

Lets say there were a grand total of 4 attempts (attempt a | attempt b | attempt c | attempt d ) for a patria embargo

(D original)
Quote:
Regarding the 4 attempts
i) In all four attempts, there is a possibility of failure in any attempt
ii) Does that mean, at least one attempt failed ? no.
---> in fact, maybe all 4 attempts were successful
---> maybe all 4 attempts failed.

Bottom line -- in all 4 attempts; there is possibility of failure in every case.

However we dont know the actual result of attempt # 1 , attempt # 2, attempt # 3 and/or attempt # 4

(D variation)
Quote:
between attempt a | attempt b | attempt c | attempt d --> all 4 occasions -- the embargo will fail, all 4 times.

Originally posted by jabhatta2 on 08 Aug 2022, 16:51.
Last edited by jabhatta2 on 08 Aug 2022, 17:00, edited 7 times in total.
VP
VP
Send PM
When i wrote the original question - i think below my difficulty in expounding on the difference between these two

Quote:
(D_Variat 2) Every trade embargo against Patria would be likely to fail at some time.
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
When i wrote the original question - i think below my difficulty in expounding on the difference between these two

Quote:
(D_Variat 2) Every trade embargo against Patria would be likely to fail at some time.

D_Variat 2 is a correct rephrase of D_Original, jabhatta2.
Please let me know if you're still struggling to see how (D) is supported by the information provided.
VP
VP
Send PM
hi avigutman - i was typing while you responded. could you let us know your thoughts on my interpretation of (d-original) vs (d-variation)?

Link to post : Post here
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
avigutman wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:

Here is response

Lets say there were a grand total of 4 attempts (attempt a | attempt b | attempt c | attempt d ) for a patria embargo

(D original)
Quote:
Regarding the 4 attempts
i) In all four attempts, there is a possibility of failure in any attempt
ii) Does that mean, at least one attempt failed ? no.
---> in fact, maybe all 4 attempts were successful
---> maybe all 4 attempts failed.

Bottom line -- in all 4 attempts; there is possibility of failure in every case.

However we dont know the actual result of attempt # 1 , attempt # 2, attempt # 3 and/or attempt # 4

(D variation)
Quote:
between attempt a | attempt b | attempt c | attempt d --> all 4 occasions -- the embargo will fail, all 4 times.

jabhatta2 "likely" is stronger than "there is a possibility" but not as strong as "must".
So D_Original makes the claim that every attempt of an embargo will probably fail.
By contrast, D_Variation makes the claim that every attempt of an embargo will definitely fail.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
avigutman KarishmaB not clear on why not E? is there a difference between unanimous and accord and what is that? how is E against the passage (OG)? Is it wrong because of difference between unanimous and accord? as per me unanimous is a neutral word meaning collective vs accord is positive - harmony -- pls confirm this too and its impact
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
Elite097 wrote:
avigutman KarishmaB not clear on why not E? is there a difference between unanimous and accord and what is that? how is E against the passage (OG)? Is it wrong because of difference between unanimous and accord? as per me unanimous is a neutral word meaning collective vs accord is positive - harmony -- pls confirm this too and its impact

First, take a close look at the question stem, Elite097:
Quote:
The claims above, if true, most strongly support which of the following conclusions?

With a question like that, we're looking for an answer that all the claims, when synthesized together, lead to. The overarching subject of the claims above is an embargo, not a blockade.
On top of that, (E) is just describing a necessary condition for a blockade of Patria's ports to be successful, and none of the claims above touches on what makes for a successful blockade! One of the claims above describes a necessary condition for an embargo against Patria, but we can't conclude from that ANYTHING about what's necessary for a successful blockade of Patria's ports.
So, if we're looking at the definitions of international accord vs. unanimous international opinion, we've already lost.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
Send PM
The claims above, if true, most strongly support the conclusion that:

This conclusion can be inferred from the statement that a total blockade of Patria's ports is necessary for an embargo, but such an action would be likely to cause international discord. Since sustaining a high degree of international accord is crucial for the success of a trade embargo, the likelihood of international discord over the embargo suggests that it would be difficult to maintain the necessary level of international agreement and prevent goods from entering or leaving Patria in the long term.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 501
Send PM
Quote:
For a trade embargo against a particular country to succeed, a high degree of both international accord and ability to prevent goods from entering or leaving that country must be sustained. A total blockade of Patria's ports is necessary to an embargo, but such an action would be likely to cause international discord over the embargo.

(B) As long as international opinion is unanimously against Patria, a trade embargo is likely to succeed.

(E) For a blockade of Patria's ports to be successful, international opinion must be unanimous.

Now we have an important ingredient in realizing the goal—a unanimous opinion. But what it is? Does it involve both international accord and blockade, or just one of them?
This question exemplifies one of the mass destruction weapons in GMAC's arsenal—deliberately equivocal wordings.

Given that this one has been on the internet for nearly 20 years, I won't waste another second on it.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts