Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 19 Jul 2019, 03:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

For a trade embargo against a particular country to succeed, a high de

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Reviews Badge
Re: For a trade embargo against a particular country to succeed, a high de  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2018, 01:22
Hi VeritasPrepKarishma / carcass / sayantanc2k / GMATNinja /Experts.

A very basic question - so per my understanding inference/must be true/conclusion questions are all the same. In this question, though I totally understand why choice D is correct, could an answer choice like C be a correct answer for a 'conclusion' question?

In the conclusion questions, are we trying to come up to a conclusion by combining multiple premises (logical deduction of 2 statements)? Can answer to a conclusion question be a paraphrase of one of the premises or does it have to be the author's main point (combination of 2 statements)? Please advise if there are any fundamental differences between 'must be true' and 'conclusion' questions?

I would appreciate your help! thank you very much!

SD
D
Re: For a trade embargo against a particular country to succeed, a high de  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2018, 02:53
Top Contributor
sdlife wrote:

A very basic question - so per my understanding inference/must be true/conclusion questions are all the same. In this question, though I totally understand why choice D is correct, could an answer choice like C be a correct answer for a 'conclusion' question?

In the conclusion questions, are we trying to come up to a conclusion by combining multiple premises (logical deduction of 2 statements)? Can answer to a conclusion question be a paraphrase of one of the premises or does it have to be the author's main point (combination of 2 statements)? Please advise if there are any fundamental differences between 'must be true' and 'conclusion' questions?

SD

There is not any difference between must be true and conclusion in the stem. Different words to say the same identical thing.

Moreover, conclusion/inference/must be true at the end of the day, what you do need is one thing only and solely to tackle even the most difficult question: the solution is actually a reworded, o paraphrasing or quite similar of something said somewhere in the stimulus. What is stated in there, with different words.
That's it.

Hope this helps.

regards

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2018, 03:27
sdlife wrote:

SD

We don't need to worry about the difference between inference/must be true/conclusion for GMAT. They pretty much mean that which of the following must be true as per the argument.
(C) cannot be the conclusion here.
The argument tells us that for trade embargo, we need "international accord" and "ability to prevent goods from entering or leaving". It also tells us that "total blockade of ports is necessary (presumably to prevent goods from entering or leaving) but could lead to international discord.

(C) A naval blockade of Patria's ports would ensure that no goods enter or leave Patria.

This says that a naval blockade is sufficient to ensure that no good enter or leave Patria. The argument talks about TOTAL blockade being required. A naval blockade does not ensure total blockade anyway.

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Retired Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2018, 02:09
For a trade embargo against a particular country to succeed, a high degree of both international accord and ability to prevent goods from entering or leaving that country must be sustained. A total blockade of Patria's ports is necessary to an embargo, but such an action would be likely to cause international discord over the embargo.

The claims above, if true, most strongly support which of the following conclusions?

(A) The balance of opinion is likely to favor Patria in the event of a blockade.
(B) As long as international opinion is unanimously against Patria, a trade embargo is likely to succeed.
(C) A naval blockade of Patria's ports would ensure that no goods enter or leave Patria.
(D) Any trade embargo against Patria would be likely to fail at some time.
(E) For a blockade of Patria's ports to be successful, international opinion must be unanimous.

A straight D. If even one of the conditions of an embargo don't meet, then embargo will likely fail. D states that and is spot on.
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2019, 06:30
As the prompt says, "A total blockade......would be LIKELY to......", what if a total blockade does not necessarily lead to international discord? What if there is a way to achieve both "a total blockade" and "a high degree of international accord" so that the embargo can succeed? That's why I incorrectly eliminate D.

Could someone please help explain? Thanks!
VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2019, 09:41
WinWinMBA wrote:
For a trade embargo against a particular country to succeed, a high degree of both international accord and ability to prevent goods from entering or leaving that country must be sustained. A total blockade of Patria's ports is necessary to an embargo, but such an action would be likely to cause international discord over the embargo.

The claims above, if true, most strongly support which of the following conclusions?
(A) The balance of opinion is likely to favor Patria in the event of a blockade.

(B) As long as international opinion is unanimously against Patria, a trade embargo is likely to succeed.

(E) For a blockade of Patria's ports to be successful, international opinion must be unanimous.

trade embargo against a particular country to succeed, a high degree of both international accord and ability to prevent goods from entering or leaving that country must be sustained. -> they both have to be present together

A total blockade of Patria's ports is necessary to an embargo, but such an action would be likely to cause international discord over the embargo.
This blockade can prevent the goods from going in or out, Not necessary it will cause international discord over the embargo

Opinion, IMO is OOS.

It's saying it wont happen

This just address one part of the conclusion.

This is repeating this.

Opinion, IMO is OOS.

Quote which i can relate to.
Many of life's failures happen with people who do not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2019, 20:57
VeritasKarishma wrote:
courtdancer wrote:
For a trade embargo against a particular country to
succeed, a high degree of both international accord
and ability to prevent goods from entering or leaving
that country must be sustained. A total blockade of
Patria’s ports is necessary to an embargo, but such an
action would be likely to cause international discord
over the embargo.
The claims above, if true, most strongly support which
of the following conclusions?
(A) The balance of opinion is likely to favor Patria in
the event of a blockade.
(B) As long as international opinion is unanimously
against Patria, a trade embargo is likely to
succeed.
(C) A naval blockade of Patria’s ports would ensure
that no goods enter or leave Patria.
(D) Any trade embargo against Patria would be likely
to fail at some time.
(E) For a blockade of Patria’s ports to be
successful, international opinion must be
unanimous.

would anyone kindly give me an explanation about this question?
better analyse each choice,thanks so much

Good call USCTrojan2006, Amit and Akshat...
Let me point out an important concept used in this question - that of necessary conditions.

Premises:
- International accord and ability to prevent goods from moving are necessary for a trade embargo to succeed.
- A total blockade of Patria’s ports is necessary to an embargo (to prevent goods from moving)
- but such an action would be likely to cause international discord over the embargo.

Two conditions are necessary for embargo to be successful. One of these conditions, if met, is likely to make the other condition fail.

What can I conclude without looking at the options?
That trade embargo in Patria is likely to fail.

(A) The balance of opinion is likely to favor Patria in
the event of a blockade.

We cannot conclude whether opinion will favor Patria.

(B) As long as international opinion is unanimously
against Patria, a trade embargo is likely to
succeed.

No. We need to block the ports too if we want the embargo to succeed. International opinion is not enough.

(C) A naval blockade of Patria’s ports would ensure
that no goods enter or leave Patria.

No information about the effectiveness of naval blockade.

(D) Any trade embargo against Patria would be likely
to fail at some time.
Got it!

(E) For a blockade of Patria’s ports to be
successful, international opinion must be
unanimous.

We don't know what will ensure successful blockade. We just know that blockade is likely to cause discord.

D is correct but how do i eliminate C.

international accord and ability to prevent goods from entering or leaving that country must be sustained.

a total blockade of Patria's ports is necessary to an embargo.

So can't we conclude blockade of Patria's ports will prevent goods from entering or leaving that country.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: For a trade embargo against a particular country to succeed, a high de   [#permalink] 20 Mar 2019, 20:57

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

For a trade embargo against a particular country to succeed, a high de

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics