Found only in the Western Hemisphere : GMAT Sentence Correction (SC)
Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 23 Feb 2017, 00:20
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Found only in the Western Hemisphere

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 164 [3] , given: 188

Reviews Badge
Found only in the Western Hemisphere [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2015, 02:30
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (02:05) correct 47% (01:21) wrong based on 1292 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

OG16 SC126
Found only in the Western Hemisphere and surviving through extremes of climate, hummingbirds’ range extends from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, from sealevel rain forests to the edges of Andean snowfields and ice fields at altitudes of 15,000 feet.

(A) Found only in the Western Hemisphere and surviving through extremes of climate, hummingbirds’ range extends
(B) Found only in the Western Hemisphere, hummingbirds survive through extremes of climate, their range extending
(C) Hummingbirds, found only in the Western Hemisphere and surviving through extremes of climate, with their range extending
(D) Hummingbirds, found only in the Western Hemisphere and surviving through extremes of climate, their range extends
(E) Hummingbirds are found only in the Western Hemisphere, survive through extremes of climate, and their range extends

Press Kudos if you like the post
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by amatya on 11 Sep 2015, 08:55, edited 1 time in total.
Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 188

Reviews Badge
Re: Found only in the Western Hemisphere [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2015, 02:31
My main doubt in this question was why C is incorrect because I was confused in B and C only
6 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
S
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 733

Kudos [?]: 5735 [6] , given: 322

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2015, 03:33
This post received
KUDOS
(
Quote:
B) Found only in the Western Hemisphere, hummingbirds survive through extremes of climate, their range extending
(C) Hummingbirds, found only in the Western Hemisphere and surviving through extremes of climate, with their range extending

Where is the verb in C? It's a fragment

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [2] , given: 89

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2015, 04:56
This post received
KUDOS
amatya wrote:
Found only in the Western Hemisphere and surviving through extremes of climate, hummingbirds’ range extends from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, from sealevel rain forests to the edges of Andean snowfields and ice fields at altitudes of 15,000 feet.

(A) Found only in the Western Hemisphere and surviving through extremes of climate, hummingbirds’ range extends
(B) Found only in the Western Hemisphere, hummingbirds survive through extremes of climate, their range extending
(D) Hummingbirds, found only in the Western Hemisphere and surviving through extremes of climate, their range extends
(E) Hummingbirds are found only in the Western Hemisphere, survive through extremes of climate, and their range extends

Press Kudos if you like the post

Hummingbird's range - noun in pocessive form can't be antecedent of "Found only in the Western Hemisphere and surviving through extremes of climate"
Cross out A

Hummingbirds, found only in the Western Hemisphere and surviving through extremes of climate, their range extends
Remove highlighted modifer, sentence is not making any sense.
Cross out D

Hummingbirds are found only in the Western Hemisphere, survive through extremes of climate, and their range extends
Ungrammatical
Cross out E

Hummingbirds, found only in the Western Hemisphere and surviving through extremes of climate, with their range extending
"With" changin the meaning.

Only Plausible - B
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 14

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2015, 10:26
This post received
KUDOS
HBird's range is not found in.. and is not surviving the extremes. Kick this option out.
Don't see any problem with this one
HBirds with their range..not logical. Kick this option out.
It's an illogical construction - HBirds, modifier, <pronoun> <noun><verb> . Kick this option out.
The third in the list (i.e. 'their range extends') is not parallel with the rest two. Kick this option out.

Option B is the right option.

Cheers. :wink:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 349

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2015, 13:44
Is this really 700+ level question? I would say that 600-700

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas '15

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 34

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2016, 11:01
everything is obviously wrong except B and E.

B is correct because it hides permissible "_ing" verb as 3rd word after opening clause, duping you into dismissing B as violation of parallelism, when in reality E is the actual violation of parallelism

good OG 16 question, might push people to the ~2:30+ mark which is costly for SC.
SVP
SVP
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Stanford '19 (S)
GMAT 1: 560 Q42 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 560 Q43 V24
GMAT 4: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 271 [0], given: 145

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2016, 20:30
amatya wrote:

the opening modifier should modify the hummingbirds and not their range. incorrect.

looks good. noun+noun modifier used correctly.

birds with their range ... no bonafide verb. so out.
found only - is a noun modifier, and not a verb.

subject, modifier, subject - double subject error here. out.

survive through extremes of climate - looks like a verb, but not properly connected. thus, E is out.

took me 40 seconds.
6 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 36 [6] , given: 79

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2016, 01:50
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi daagh / chetan2u

I am able to eliminate Option A,C and D
Between B and E, I don't find a good option either
Can you please help.

Option E-
Hummingbirds are found only in the Western Hemisphere, survive through extremes of climate, and their range extends

2 reasons to eliminate-
1) Highlighted portion seems to modify Western Hemisphere instead of Hummingbird.
2) Parallelism error--> are found , survive , their range

Option B-
Found only in the Western Hemisphere, hummingbirds survive through extremes of climate, their range extending

Green Part is a modifier so we can eliminate it.
The word EXTENDING in the end is---> End modifier introduced with present participle ( EXTENDING ) without separated by comma

According to me

Found only in the Western Hemisphere, hummingbirds survive through extremes of climate, their range extending from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, from sealevel rain forests to the edges of Andean snowfields and ice fields at altitudes of 15,000 feet

First highlighted portion is modifying--> Humming bird
Second highlighted portion is modifying--> Range
So, in the end the only sentence remains is

hummingbirds survive through extremes of climate, their range ---> which is incomplete.

Can you please explain what's wrong in my reasoning.
Please assist. Thanks in advance

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
G
Followers: 355

Kudos [?]: 3670 [4] , given: 105

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2016, 02:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
RAHKARP27071989 wrote:
Hi daagh / chetan2u

I am able to eliminate Option A,C and D
Between B and E, I don't find a good option either
Can you please help.

Option E-

2 reasons to eliminate-
1) Highlighted portion seems to modify Western Hemisphere instead of Hummingbird.
2) Parallelism error--> are found , survive , their range

Option B-
Found only in the Western Hemisphere, hummingbirds survive through extremes of climate, their range extending

Green Part is a modifier so we can eliminate it.
The word EXTENDING in the end is---> End modifier introduced with present participle ( EXTENDING ) without separated by comma

According to me

Found only in the Western Hemisphere, hummingbirds survive through extremes of climate, their range extending from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, from sealevel rain forests to the edges of Andean snowfields and ice fields at altitudes of 15,000 feet

First highlighted portion is modifying--> Humming bird
Second highlighted portion is modifying--> Range
So, in the end the only sentence remains is

hummingbirds survive through extremes of climate, their range ---> which is incomplete.

Can you please explain what's wrong in my reasoning.
Please assist. Thanks in advance

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Hi,

you have done a good analysis of the statement....
however a few points from my side..
first about E..
E.Hummingbirds are found only in the Western Hemisphere, survive through extremes of climate, and their range extends..
the way E is written, we take all three items mentioned as parallel, but that is not correct..
'are found and survive could have acted parallely and the remaining one as independent clause, with a construction like under..
E. Hummingbirds are found only in the Western Hemisphere and survive through extremes of climate, and their range extends...
this construction could have been a correct choice..

now choice B..
Found only in the Western Hemisphere, hummingbirds survive through extremes of climate, their range extending..
you are correct that Found only in the Western Hemisphere modifies hummingbirds..
but their range extending.. modifies the entier clause prior to it-hummingbirds survive through extremes of climate..
Due to this capability to survive in extreme climates, their range extends in varities of location..

Hope this helps

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [2] , given: 79

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2016, 02:26
This post received
KUDOS
Hi chetan2u,

I really appreciate you for such a quick response.

So, you mean "their range extending from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, from sealevel rain forests to the edges of Andean snowfields and ice fields at altitudes of 15,000 feet" is modifying ---> Complete clause ( hummingbirds survive through extremes of climate)

I have learnt that we can modify a complete sentence using abstract noun.
For eg--
Government plans to introduce ABC technique, an strategy which can BLAH BLAH BLAH....
Here "an strategy which can BLAH BLAH BLAH"... is modifying the complete sentence.

But in this question we are using THEIR which is a pronoun stands for hummingbirds.
Sentence structure-

Subject + Predicate , Pronoun + Noun (Range) + modifier

How can we modify preceding sentence using a pronoun in the following sentence.
Can you please give few more examples..??

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 3670 [2] , given: 105

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2016, 02:39
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
RAHKARP27071989 wrote:
Hi chetan2u,

I really appreciate you for such a quick response.

So, you mean "their range extending from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, from sealevel rain forests to the edges of Andean snowfields and ice fields at altitudes of 15,000 feet" is modifying ---> Complete clause ( hummingbirds survive through extremes of climate)

I have learnt that we can modify a complete sentence using abstract noun.
For eg--
Government plans to introduce ABC technique, an strategy which can BLAH BLAH BLAH....
Here "an strategy which can BLAH BLAH BLAH"... is modifying the complete sentence.

But in this question we are using THEIR which is a pronoun stands for hummingbirds.
Sentence structure-

Subject + Predicate , Pronoun + Noun (Range) + modifier

How can we modify preceding sentence using a pronoun in the following sentence.
Can you please give few more examples..??

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Hi,
in very simple terms..
there are verious modifier and their role depends on the structure of the sentence...
extend is a verb and by adding -ing, a modifier is formed..
comma verb-ing modifier does two jobs...
(1) simultaneous actions or
(2) a result of the actions of previous clause..

here it does (2)... their range is the result of their ability to adapt to various extreme climates..

......, their range extending from... to..., from... to...
will mean the same as..
......, extending their range from... to ...., from...to...

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
S
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 733

Kudos [?]: 5735 [2] , given: 322

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2016, 02:53
This post received
KUDOS
RAHKARP27071989
Hi
The problem in your analysis is that you have tried to split a modifier phrase into its components and left out something because as per rule, a modifier can be dispensed with. Nope. We can dispense with a modifier only when the modifier is non-essential and is set off with a comma.
That is why we cannot separate their range and extending. The modifier extending is an essential one. You see it is not set off from noun their range.
Let’s look at a simple example.
Jack and Jill went down the hill, jack falling first and Jill following—In this sentence, can we afford to drop ‘falling first’ because it is a modifying Jack and drop ‘following’ because, it is modifying Jill.
HTH

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Last edited by daagh on 30 Jul 2016, 12:49, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 79

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2016, 04:58
Hi chetan2u / daagh

Thanks alot for sharing your thoughts with me and that too very frequently which really helped me to clear concepts.
I really appreciate you..

chetan2u,

As said by you..

will mean the same as..

Its completely new to me, will make a note of it for future references as well.
Because if it was written in a manner ...(, extending their range from... to ...., from...to...) then I would not have any issues in this question.

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar :)

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 3670 [0], given: 105

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2016, 05:17
RAHKARP27071989 wrote:
Hi chetan2u / daagh

Thanks alot for sharing your thoughts with me and that too very frequently which really helped me to clear concepts.
I really appreciate you..

chetan2u,

As said by you..

will mean the same as..

Its completely new to me, will make a note of it for future references as well.
Because if it was written in a manner ...(, extending their range from... to ...., from...to...) then I would not have any issues in this question.

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar :)

Hi RAHKARP27071989,
I do not exactly mean that the two would mean the same every time ...
I just gave you a way it could have also worked and that the usage is absolutely correct.
meanings would depend on the structure of sentence..
there are various type of modifiers, which might not look like one otherwise..
example of something I saw 2-3 days back..
His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms finally successful, Sir Joseph Lister lent his name to the company that developed Listerine, the first antibacterial liquid.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q V46
GPA: 3.7
WE: Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 387 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2016, 05:08
Though I could easily see how the misplaced modifier was corrected in B, I demurred at "their range extending from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, from sealevel rain forests to the edges of Andean snowfields and ice fields at altitudes of 15,000 feet."
Is that an absolute phrase? It always sounds like 'a fragment' to me. Can you pls help me understand this type of construction? What is its purpose and what alternatives writers have over it? This will help me train myself to spot it. What else I should do to train my ear to get comfortable with it?

Thanks

Please contact me for super inexpensive quality private tutoring

My journey V46 and 750 -> http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-journey-to-46-on-verbal-750overall-171722.html#p1367876

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
B
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
Followers: 393

Kudos [?]: 1753 [1] , given: 22

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2016, 12:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
NoHalfMeasures wrote:
Though I could easily see how the misplaced modifier was corrected in B, I demurred at "their range extending from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, from sealevel rain forests to the edges of Andean snowfields and ice fields at altitudes of 15,000 feet."
Is that an absolute phrase? It always sounds like 'a fragment' to me. Can you pls help me understand this type of construction? What is its purpose and what alternatives writers have over it? This will help me train myself to spot it. What else I should do to train my ear to get comfortable with it?

Thanks

You identified correctly - it is indeed an absolute phrase. An absolute phrase consists of a noun and a noun modifier. Here:
noun: their range
noun modifier (present participle) : extending......

Another simpler example (from Manhattan SC guide):

His head held high, Owen walked out of the store.

An alternative way would be to convert it into a main clause and separate by a conjunction or a semicolon. But absolute phrases are stylistically better.
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 194

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2016, 01:47
i got B a right answer however I have doubt in non under lined portion of the of the sentence.

from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, from sealevel rain forests to the edges of Andean snowfields and ice fields at altitudes of 15,000 feet.

from x to y , from x to y and z. It does not seems to be parallel list. please help
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
B
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
Followers: 393

Kudos [?]: 1753 [0], given: 22

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2016, 12:51
mbaprep2016 wrote:
i got B a right answer however I have doubt in non under lined portion of the of the sentence.

from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, from sealevel rain forests to the edges of Andean snowfields and ice fields at altitudes of 15,000 feet.

from x to y , from x to y and z. It does not seems to be parallel list. please help

The construction is as follows:

from x to y, from z to p (in which p = a and b).

Thus parallelism is maintained.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 202

Can sum1 plz help with this ques ? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2016, 10:06
Found only in the western hemisphere and surviving through extremes of climate, hummingbirds's range extends from Alaska to Tierra el Fuego,from sea- level rain forests to the edges of Andean snowfields and ice fields at altitudes of 15,000 feet.
A) Found only in the western hemisphere and surviving through extremes of climate, hummingbirds's range extends
B) Found only in the western hemisphere, humingbirds survive through extremes of climate, their range extending
C.) Hummingbirds, found only in the western hemisphere and surviving through extremes of climate , with their range extending
D.) Hummingbirds, found only in he western hemisphere and surviving through extremes of climate,their range extending from
E.) Hummingbirds are found only in the western hemisphere , survive through extremes of climate ,and their range extends

Edit: Added underlining, corrected typos
Can sum1 plz help with this ques ?   [#permalink] 30 Jul 2016, 10:06

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 25 posts ]