Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 01:42 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 01:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Duke '16 (A)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [2]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [2]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Kudos
Many Congratulations to all the admits. I am very much looking forward to meeting each and everyone of you during BDW and/or Orientation. Also, make sure to buy your Duke jerseys for March Madness. Its quite an honor to put that jersey on.

For those who will be wait-listed, it's not over yet - people do get in off of wait list as we saw today. Also, if Duke is your no.1 choice, and you do decide to re apply, Duke looks upon you very favorably. I was wait-listed last year up until the start of classes and got in this year in EA.

For those who will be dinged, keep fighting the good fight. I was dinged by 7 schools last year, but decided not to give up. In the end, it's all works out.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
Send PM
Kudos
Hey all,

I just submitted my official withdraw for Fuqua. I hope the spot goes to someone deserving on the board!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q36 V40
GPA: 2.97
WE:Brand Management (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
Friends, I was admitted off the Duke waitlist this morning at 8:00AM central time. I am located in Chicago.

I felt this update was the least I could do given the fact that I have been scouring these message boards since January.

Best of luck to all of you and thank you for helping me find my sanity going through this process. It is such a challenge and I am so glad that it is over for me but my heart goes out to those that are still in the struggle.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
XC99TF00 wrote:
asgillette wrote:
So it has been a long hard path in the application to Fuqua. Fuqua is my DREAM school and I am on the wait list. At this point it feels like all hope is lost as R3 has already been admitted and the start date of school is around the corner. Does anyone have a good sense for what the odds of moving from WL to Admit would be at this point in the game? I assume it is almost none but I do know Duke has a yield rate that would make me think a fair amount of WL get moved to Admit. My other question would be next steps if I don't get in. Does anyone have good advice for applying next year?

I can't speak to the odds of being admitted from the waitlist, but they are going to it, and I just got in today. I know they are still reviewing all waitlisted candidates applications in full again, so new info doesn't hurt.

In talking with admissions a couple weeks ago, they confirmed that there were peopled who had sent in early deposits that pulled out, so slots are definitely open. Keep the flow of new information coming to them, including additional recs if they are good, differentiated, and applicable.

Yeah, I got in yesterday as well. Very excited and pumped! XC99TF00, congrats! For those waiting to coming off the wait list, make sure you contact admissions every 3 weeks or so and let them know that if admitted, you are still willing and able to come to Duke as well as submit a financial deposit quickly. I believe you would only have 3 business days to submit a deposit.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.59
WE:Accounting (Law)
Send PM
Kudos
Just a note to those who really want to get ahead of the game. I talked with the admissions team and they said the essays from 2013 will for the most part remain unchanged. They REALLY enjoyed the 25 random things essay and are looking to do it again this year. The ones they told me that will more than likely be on the 2014 application are (don't quote me on this):

1. What are your short-term goals, post-MBA?
2. What are your long-term goals?

1. The "Team Fuqua" spirit and community is one of the things that sets The Duke MBA experience apart, and it is a concept that extends beyond the student body to include faculty, staff, and administration. When a new person joins the Admissions Team, we ask that person to share with everyone in the office a list of "25 Random Things About Yourself." As an Admissions team, we already know the new hire's professional and academic background, so learning these "25 Random Things" helps us get to know someone's personality, background, special talents, and more.

In this spirit, the Admissions Committee also wants to get to know you - beyond the professional and academic achievements listed in your resume and transcript. You can share with us important life experiences, your likes/dislikes, hobbies, achievements, fun facts, or anything that helps us understand what makes you who you are. Share with us your list of "25 Random Things" about YOU.

Please present your response in list form, numbered 1 to 25. Some points may be only a few words, while others may be longer. Your complete list should not exceed 2 pages.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Send PM
Kudos
Well, hate to be 'that' guy, but 25 things question can be pretty nightmarish for re-applicants.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos
Since there are lots of questions on EA or R1, here's a simple decision diagram.

The scholarship decision is controversial. Although there has been EA folks who got scholarships. I would say, at minimum, your bargaining power on scholarship is reduced by applying EA.
Attachments

EA-Decision-Flow.PNG
EA-Decision-Flow.PNG [ 28.86 KiB | Viewed 7701 times ]

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
I'm in for round 1.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
Kudos
jpd5044 wrote:
Hi all. I am interested in applying to fuqua but am in somewhat of a conundrum. My longtime girlfriend will be accompanying me to b-school, but she is apprehensive about moving to a "college town" vs a big city. Her happiness is very important to me, so its a huge factor for me. She is a teacher and thinks finding a job and having a quality social life is much harder at a place like fuqua vs new York or dc or any other city. Can any current students comment on this? Has anyone"s partner particularly enjoyed their time in Durham? Thanks in advance for everyone's input!

candayam wrote:
I see the benefit of EA from the adcom side (boost yield) but from an applicant side you get slighty better admissions odds (we assume) at the expense of scholarship opportunities (there is an inherent adcom conflict of interest) and school choice (my perspective on schools really changed after I was admitted).

You should consider cost of living too. It's going to be way more expensive to live in NYC and DC versus Durham. Maybe even enough to offset her not having a job.

I understand her happiness is important too. Personally, I like the Raleigh-Durham area. If you really want a nice balance between cost of living and big city I'd consider the Atlanta area and maybe a school like Emory.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.7
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Just giving a heads up - 2013-2014 dates/essays are officially up.

The website is significantly different, and looks a hell of a lot better.

Good luck everyone!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos
orctitude42 wrote:
Hey guys, I am looking to apply in R1. Is there any way I can contact current students, say via mail or by phone (or by any other means)?

All the best to everyone applying!
You can contact the Fuqua clubs in the area that you are interested in.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
what's with duke being the only school to not release questions? I mean im on their 2015 class wait list and nothing would feel more awesome than working on class of 2016 essays while waiting for a seat in the class of 2015 right?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
hookemhorns612 wrote:
what's with duke being the only school to not release questions? I mean im on their 2015 class wait list and nothing would feel more awesome than working on class of 2016 essays while waiting for a seat in the class of 2015 right?

They like to tease the kids, just like they have been teasing you and I since 5 months.

Posted from my mobile device
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Kudos
Rising second year here... Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions. Good luck!

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Send PM
Kudos
dukealum7 wrote:
having one of your former drunk one-night stand partners interviewed about whether you abuse alcohol, have criminal/immoral tendencies, or intend to overthrow the government

Just remembered something for 25-things essay. Or, maybe not! :P
VP
VP
Send PM
Kudos
Encourage people who are looking to go to consulting to see this post and ask questions, if any.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.59
WE:Accounting (Law)
Send PM
Kudos
Jokesta wrote:
kple12 wrote:
For those of you who really want to make an impression, definitely sign up for the "Group Greet and Meets" if Duke comes to your city.

I think it varies who hosts the events, but for my city (Chicago), I got lucky and spoke with the Senior Associate Director of Admissions. She pretty much told me bluntly she will see my application and will more than likely review it so I got very lucky and was able to talk to the person who will play a huge role in my application.

Not too many surprises though but I did hear how the admissions process goes. If you apply Early Admissions, they categorize people into 3 groups:

1. DFD - Dying for Duke (Self Explanatory)

2. Those who might have "some" holes in the application and want to play it safe.

3. Those who are well prepared

She also told me if there is a something that you think will be an issues (low GPA, low GMAT, etc.) make sure to disclose it! They try to advocate for everyone but she told me if it's a lot easier to admit someone with a 2.6 GPA who justifies it than someone with a 2.7 who doesn't say anything. The more information the better.

Awesome posts man. I gave you GC kudos but a verbal props are in order or a beer if we meet during interview ;)

Questions regarding the "Group Greet and Meets". Are these special events? How would we sign up for these? and Are they listed on Duke's website?

I signed up for the email listing so I was notified about their "Greet and Meets" through that.

Here's a list of events they are doing around the world as we speak:

https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/events/daytim ... Type=F-MBA

The next "Greet and Meets" are:

Boston*
August 20, 11 am - 1 pm

Atlanta*
August 22, 11 am - 1 pm

*The Chicago, Boston, and Atlanta events are drop-in "Meet & Greet" hours. The remaining events are information sessions.

If are near any of these and Duke is your #1, definitely go to these. The nice thing about mine was that it was a drop in so it was very informal and relaxed and I got to have a one on one conversation with an individual very high up in the admissions process.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  82   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts