Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 00:58 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 00:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: CBS '16 (M$)
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
GPA: 3.14
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Concentration: Marketing
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Kudos
vineet404 wrote:
Hey guys, wondering if you can advise me.

I am from India and have done my Bachelors in Commerce (3 year course). Fuqua has asked me to complete a calculus course from an accredited college before July '15. Within the Indian system of education, can't think of a college that provides a standalone calculus course with transcripts. Can any of you help me with any information regarding such a course ? Do online courses suffice ? Any students out there who have to do the same ?

As far as I know, Wharton offers online courses free of charge on Coursera platform. They also grade the course at the end. You better check whether this is acceptable by Fuqua. Just my two cents!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
reesespieces2521 wrote:
Has anyone tried to respond to their acceptance decision yet? I can see we can electronically deny the offer, but I see no button to accept it. Just wondering.

Posted from my mobile device

You can't accept it electronically. Once you get the packet, there will be a return card which you need to fill out. Also, you need to pay the deposit before the due date. Hope that helps.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Kudos
BonzoX85 wrote:
Has anyone received the credentials to login in the admitted student portal mentioned in the letter?

I got the email with credentials today morning.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Kudos
Laksh2013 wrote:
I had a question regarding official score report. Once Fuqua receives our official GMAT and TOEFL scores, does our application reflect that scores were received and verified?
(I am an R2 applicant and I have reported my scores already. But don't see any updates on my application. Have not submitted my application yet)

Thanks!

It can take a few days for it to be updated on the system. I think that my TOEFL score took 2-3 weeks top appear as approved.
As long as you've sent it in an official way (i.e. through the GMAT\TEOFL websites) I don't think that you should be worried.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
mbamyway wrote:
Just submitted my round 2 app...that concludes all my bschool apps for 2014!! YAY!!!

Ah, that feeling :)

Good luck everyone.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
Submitted in Round 2
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Economics
Send PM
Kudos
I am excited.Submitted my app. Only 25 yrs old with managerial work experience in small business. I hope to get in.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Kudos
Speedchaser9 wrote:
For R2 applicants who have created an SISS account, does anyone else have just their self-reported GMAT scores on the Self Service > Student Center > My Application > Application Materials Status page? I sent my score report in mid-December, so I'm a little concerned that my official scores haven't been linked to my application as of yet. Not sure if this is a common problem though.

Same is the case with me. I had reported my score in mid-Oct. I believe we have to give them a couple of days to map our scores to our application.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GMAT 2: 740 Q41 V50
Send PM
Kudos
ritinster wrote:
I missed answering this question.

Please list grades for all college level quantitative courses you have taken in the following subjects:

(Be certain to provide transcripts in the section above for all courses referenced here.)

Can someone pls help. My transcripts and everything else is uploaded but i just completely overlooked this question. What should I do?

I think you should write to admissions-info@fuqua.duke.edu or call them and ask.. I am sure they aren't gonna be like 'oh you missed 5 questions, you are dinged' :) It's a mistake anyone could make because those questions are positioned in a place thats easy to miss...

Not sure if anyone else has made the same mistake, you might wanna read the earlier posts from this year
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Economics
Send PM
Kudos
@suhas- got the confirmation email saying its added to my file. I was getting so paranoid over this. All the time i took to interview and prepare for this was beginning to look like a waste. I am relieved.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Fuqua Current Student Blogs: Thursday: A Day in the Life of a Fuqua MBA Student
About this time last year, I remember wondering what day-to-day life would be like as an MBA student. Current students told me their days were packed with classes, speakers, and recruiting events. Still, I had trouble imagining what business school would really be like. Would assignments really be completed in teams? Would I spend the evenings studying? Would there be time to do hobbies I enjoyed, like running and cycling?

In this post, I hope to give you a sense of a typical Thursday for me at Fuqua during the first term, and address some of the questions you may have about business school. Of course, remember that this is just my experience. At Fuqua, you will tailor your daily life and activities to what you are most interested in, so each person’s day looks different. As you can see, the schedule is pretty packed, but for me, being engaged in school from the time I wake up to the time I go to sleep is exactly why I chose Fuqua.

7:15 AM: Wake up.

7:45 – 8:55 AM: Go to the gym at Wilson Recreation Center on campus, about a 7-minute walk from Fuqua.

9:00 – 9:30 AM: Meet with my Fuqua buddy to discuss his summer internship. He worked at a local pharmaceutical company that I’m interested in, so it was great to hear his perspective. Each admitted student is assigned a first-year Fuqua buddy upon admission to Fuqua. Fuqua buddies are a great resource for questions about Fuqua and how to prepare for the year ahead.

9:30 – 10:30 AM: Sit in Fox Center and prepare for class.

10:30 AM – 12:45 PM: Biotech and Pharma Strategy class: Since I exempted from two core classes, I was able to take an elective course during Fall Term 1. This was a case-based class focused on topics such as pricing, vaccine launch, intellectual property, and acquisitions. One of my favorite parts of this course was learning from the second-year students’ contributions. They had great insights from their summer internships that enhanced the class discussion. For me, the highlight of the course was actually the final paper — my team developed a launch strategy for a new Hepatitis C drug expected to gain FDA approval in 2014.

12:45 – 1:45 PM: Lunch in Fox Center. Fuqua has a great cafeteria with a salad bar and many made-to-order options. Most business students eat lunch in the Fox Center so it’s a great opportunity to catch up with section mates or get to know new classmates.

1:45 – 4:00 PM: Accounting core class. During Global Institute, Fall 1, and Fall 2, first years typically attend all core classes with their section (the entire Daytime class is divided into 6 sections). Attending class with your section mates is a great way to get to know a subset of Fuquans more deeply. Before each accounting class we had a team case due, which we complete with our Consequential Leadership (C-LEAD) teams. One of the best lessons my team learned throughout the term was how to be more efficient in our meetings. When we were all busy with competing recruiting, academic, and social priorities, we wanted to make the most of each meeting while still ensuring that each member of the group understood the material presented. I am lucky to have a great team, so we had plenty of laughs throughout the term and have gotten to know each other well as both colleagues and friends.

4:15 – 6:30 PM: Statistics core class. The semester flies by and there is a ton of material packed into 6 weeks, so I had to push myself to be accountable to make sure I understood the material from each class. We had an online test due before each class so that was a good way to check understanding.

6:45 – 8:00 PM: Corporate presentation. Recruiting presentations start during Fall Term 1 for most industries including consulting, finance, marketing, and general management. Companies that recruit Fuqua MBAs typically have one official on-campus presentation about the company. Because of the strong Fuqua network, most of these companies send members from their leadership team who are Fuqua alumni. During presentations, these representatives typically give an overview of the company, explain available internship opportunities, and answer students’ questions. After the presentation, there is typically a networking reception where students have a chance to get to know the company representatives and get a better sense of company culture.

8:00 – 11:00 PM: Eat dinner, do homework and catch up on emails. Homework usually involves reading cases and preparing assignments in advance of group meetings. Most assignments are team assignments during Fall 1 and Fall 2. My study team met before each assignment was due so individually, I always took a stab at completing the assignment (or at least attempting to) so I would be prepared to contribute to our team meetings.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Kudos
mbamyway wrote:
Interesting, farful! I used to think that bschool admission was mostly a numbers game...oh how wrong I was. And your data makes it even clearer.

To be fair, duke is a bit of an exception. Look at The Yale one he posted for comparison.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q40 V49
GPA: 3.18
WE:Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
I'm a round 2 applicant and just received a big promotion this past week. Do you guys know how to approach this? Should I just call the admissions office and ask them what to do?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GRE 1: Q161 V165
Send PM
Kudos
kaustubhkul wrote:
How much does a recommendation by a current student matter?
I hadn't considered it until a few days ago...

My UG dorm mate is a First Year student at Fuqua, and although we were not very close I'd reckon he knows me quite well.
He can write about the qualities I bring and an in-general support to my "fit" at Fuqua.

Should I try to talk to him? Even if it's this late in the process? (Submitted app. for 6th Jan round)

I don't know how much impact it has (though I suspect it has some), but is there a down side to at least trying?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [1]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Nonprofit, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
R1 applicants: If you haven't updated your status yet, please do so now.

The GMATclub will be hosting an info session for all waitlisted candidates on Friday. More info here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 394 [1]
Given Kudos: 155
GMAT 1: 730 Q52 V37
Send PM
Kudos
One week left until all R2 interview invites are released!

It seems that we should receive an email at noon (12pm EST) next week but R1 applicants indicated that they didn't receive the email and instead had to view the application status website.

Good luck everyone!

Edit: Clarification that interview invites are next week.

Originally posted by farful on 30 Jan 2014, 07:30.
Last edited by farful on 30 Jan 2014, 08:59, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Darden - Class of 2016
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
Kudos
The next four days will be really, really long...
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  82   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts