Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 07:24 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 07:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.59
WE:Accounting (Law)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Kudos
hailmary wrote:
summer99 wrote:
I was planing to submit for round 1, but I have all my application Ready. Should I apply for ED ?

The only thing is that my GMAT is 670, and I'm thinking of retaking it. Will the adcom accept an updated gmat score before the decision date for ED (Dec 20th)?

what are your thoughts?

Thanks

Decision date is October 30, not Dec 20th. You will have to put your deposit in by Dec 4th, so essentially before you will hear back from any other school.

Also, Duke asks you to send the official report before it considers your updated score. So you will have to take the exam before Oct 10th in order for it to be considered for ED app. I think you are better off applying in R1.

What's up bud. U submitted ur package yet? I was in such a hurry last week and plan to submit it today. LOL hopefully this time we'll have a better result.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
Yes, I had to repeat my pitch three times, but I think that's what made my interview stronger. Just nail the "why duke" and "what will you bring" down and you will be fine. My interviewer was reading questions from the sheet, questions I believe Adcom wants every interviewer to ask, for the sake of consistency. Interviewer also takes lots of notes, so don't feel awkward if there is minimal eye contact.

Also, Duke matches you up with someone with similar background. Mines was identical.

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by hailmary on 23 Sep 2013, 05:50.
Last edited by hailmary on 24 Sep 2013, 04:29, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Send PM
Kudos
I had my interview last Saturday with Jaclyn. Absolutely amazing person and I'm sure anyone that has an opportunity to meet her during this open-interview period will be astounded by how engaged and charismatic she is. Plus she's a Cowboys fan! Good luck to all.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos
I recently interviewed at Fuqua as well - I had a great experience, and really sunk myself into "Team Fuqua". I'll be doing a full debrief on my blog soon, but for now, I wanted to say thank you to the great students I met down there - rgupta83, threestripes, and several others!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Duke Fuqua
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
Send PM
Kudos
jumsumtak wrote:
tinkered wrote:
hamm0 wrote:
My guess is they are internationals and can't justify the cost/time to fly to Durham for a day or two.

Yes, I'm an international applicant, so I'm still waiting for my interview invite anxiously.

Does anyone remember if Fuqua sent that reminder email last year about EA being binding? Because from that email, it sounds like they've received more EA applicants than expected, so they had to nudge people to move to R1.

It's a standard protocol.

Yes, I was an EA applicant last year and everyone receives that email. I think the adcom wants to reiterate the point that applying EA means that any acceptance decision on their part for your application binds you to matriculating. I would argue that certain conditions (eg. Life) may change your ability to matriculate but those conditions do not include an applicant applying EA to Fuqua and then accepting a R1 acceptance to another school. The adcom world is small and they all talk. You don't want to be in that conversation!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.7
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
jonkil wrote:
Can anyone mention some qualities that distinguish Duke from other top schools?

I am attracted to Duke as the school's experiential programs fit with what I need in my MBA experience. Three aspects particularly caught my attention in my research while building my application.

1) Team Fuqua (the school is big on this front) .. The entire MBA program is based on this philosophy. A lot of b-schools talk about learning teams, but at Fuqua learning teams are integrated into the program. Even the classes that you attend will be with your teams.

2) FCCP - Amazing opportunities for folks aspiring for a career in consulting. Fuqua is one of the b-schools that allows even 1st year students to participate in live consulting engagements.

3) FSBC - Consulting engagements for small businesses in Durham. Again this is student-run and so an amazing platform to improve leadership and team-based skills.

Disclaimer: These are my POVs .. You may agree or disagree totally up to you.

On another note: The interview invites will come in a few hours.. Keeping my fingers crossed to get selected...
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
Guys some unsolicited advice. Please bear with me:

I am sorry to hear that some of you are not invited to the interviews. Look at the positive - you have got to enough time to make it work for Round 2 and even Round 1 at some of the schools. You can take a hard look at your application and see what's wrong.

Look at my case. I travelled all the way to Fuqua and gave the interview in the open interview period. Now I have to WAIT till October 30th. I have an application to submit tomorrow and I just cannot focus :( And god forbid, If I am not accepted, it might be too late to do something about the application. Sorry, if am sounding selfish. All the best your applications to other schools.

Congrats to all those who are invited for interviews.

Best,
Prodizy
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Kudos
prodizy wrote:
Guys some unsolicited advice. Please bear with me:

I am sorry to hear that some of you are not invited to the interviews. Look at the positive - you have got to enough time to make it work for Round 2 and even Round 1 at some of the schools. You can take a hard look at your application and see what's wrong.

Look at my case. I travelled all the way to Fuqua and gave the interview in the open interview period. Now I have to WAIT till October 30th. I have an application to submit tomorrow and I just cannot focus :( And god forbid, If I am not accepted, it might be too late to do something about the application. Sorry, if am sounding selfish. All the best your applications to other schools.

Congrats to all those who are invited for interviews.

Best,
Prodizy

Thanks mate. Totally appreciate your words.
However the point is with a GMAT of 750 and a solid work experience, I expected an interview invite even
if I did not make it post the interview.
I assume that there are several others who have a very decent profile but did not get the invite.

What happens when you get rejected without an interview is that you start doubting your essays, your recommenders and your 'fit' even for the next set of applications.

All the best to everyone who is invited. May the force be with you.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
kunzi wrote:
With reference to your previous posts, Jokesta, Hailmary & Prodizy

request you guyz to put up the mistakes that you committed in your application(s).

I'm gonna apply in R1, and hope to learn from them. It'll be helpful to all future applicants.

thanx!

Mistakes to avoid:

1. I overlooked the importance of recommendations. I was travelling in the US at that time and couldn't communicate my application theme to my supervisor. I think this is a big mistake and I have corrected this in my second app.
2. Double check your application before hand. Fill the application long before the deadline. Let someone else see your full app before submitting. Make sure all dates and figures entered are correct. If you fill it in the last minute, more often than not, you end up doing mistakes.
3. DO NOT edit your essays in the last minute.
4. Read the application instructions before hand to make sure there are no last minute surprises in the app. There could be short essays in the app about international exposure, how will I contribute etc.

Hope that helps!

Best,
Prodizy
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Fuqua posted the prelim employment report for class of 2013/2014. MBB hired 28 interns combined this year - pretty impressive. Banking recruiting looks pretty decent too.

https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/documents/mba ... _Final.pdf
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Operations
GPA: 3.05
WE:Operations (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
I had my interview in Seoul on Sunday with an alum and it was VERY casual. Almost more like an informative session than an interview. He said he had an advance copy of my resume so going over that was not too intensive. There is no trick, no magic responses. If you can talk about why you want an MBA at this point in your career/life, why you want to go to Fuqua, and what you hope to do with your MBA after school than you are fine. And if you can't answer those questions? How the hell did you get this far in the process to begin with?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [2]
Send PM
Kudos