Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:50 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [1]
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: GMAT 680 (48-49Q) - Profile evaluation and Top schools [#permalink]
CriticalSquare wrote:
Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your information with us - we love the details! There is a lot to like about your profile, especially your work experience and your community involvement. You stand out already as a candidate of interest. However, the GMAT is concerning for GSB and Sloan. However, given your age, the decision to wait another year shouldn't hinge on the GMAT alone. You need to consider what other parts of your application will be enhanced over the next year. If it's only going to be your GMAT that shows a noticeable difference, I'd recommend giving your target schools a shot in R2. You can still retake the GMAT after the deadlines and send them to the school and they will be considered if you're waitlisted, etc. For the other schools on your list, I think your profile merits an application in R2. Also, given your goals, have you considered CBS and Wharton and their healthcare tracks? Let us know if you'd like to chat about how we can help you for a final review for your upcoming submissions. Best of luck!

Thank you for your feedback!
Well, I think that I can do something big in my story for the next year, but the probability is 50/50 as it depends on the amount of projects at my current job or my ability to find a better place to work (it could be better or not, and I need some time to show all of my abilities at the new place).
I like the idea to get GMAT in February (I think I need a month to recover after this whole-year study “trip”) and send it as the additional information to AdCom.
As for CBS and Wharton, I think both schools are great, but for CBS I don’t like a place, for Wharton we don’t match in terms of a culture and the requirement to get TOEFL instead of already passed IELTS. Overall I have to choose, so I believe that current list better correlates with my goals.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
JonAdmissionado wrote:

Hey John,
Very good to hear from you!
So you have overall a very nice profile, but I think your target schools are not necessarily realistic or well-matched, and that yes, you would do much much better if you could hit a 710+.

But first a serious question: Why career change? Why Biotech? and what experience do you have in Biotech that makes you think you could move into to it? for me this goal is not so realistic, not unless you were to pursue something like a double degree in healthcare/pharma/biology which would grant you the vital knowledge and contacts to make that move. Especially since in M&A you are in a good industry.

I don't honestly see you in Stanford which mainly goes fro more wild or adventurous profiles (like TONS of entrepreneurship, something unheard of, volunteer work, geniuses, etc.) The other schools are possible if you can boost your GMAT, but my first question here would be: how did you choose them? In function of what?

Obviously whatever school list you DO build will depend on your GMAT and a 680 isn't enough for the schools on your list. With a 720, though... :)

I hope this has given you a general idea, if you want a more profound profile evaluation feel free to drop us a line:
https://admissionado.com/free-consultati ... n=mba_blog

Best,
JF

Hi Jon,
Thank you for your feedback. I totally understand that my profile would be much better with GMAT 730 or something like that. I mean that for this round I’m done with attempts. And I need to decide what to do now. Wait 1 year to improve my GMAT or go now with current assets.

I can show you several things that make me think about this shift:
1) I really want to go for biotech, because I realized how powerful is this tool in reaching my desire to change this world. I can do much better in that field then in the IT industry in terms of business and ethic.
2) I see the problems of that industry and I think that my experience can help me to solve some of them. I want to couple my knowledge with a new skills-set from MBA as well as to find a good team of like-minded people at school to deal with it. Also, I was wondered by the MBA students (from MIT, Tuck, Fuqua…) who did the same shift in their careers.
3) From my experience, I don’t think that a degree in Health-care is must have to be successful in the investment attraction and product development. But of course, it can expand my knowledge, and that’s why I want to get as much as I can from the school’s curriculum, such as Healthcare certificates, Biotech classes, make projects together with students from Healthcare school. Most of Dual-degree programs are focused on traditional healthcare issues (not align with my goals) and it can be tough for the international student without a job to pay for another year. I don’t want to be a scientist; I want to become a mediator between scientists and the business world. Actually, I do this in IT now.
4) I follow that industry, doing research at my current work, driving the Digital Health project, and learning from open sources and peers about that industry.
5) Sadly, I can’t perform all of this things working in my country as nowadays there are just few possibilities to go in biotech. That’s why I want an MBA and do it abroad.

For me there are some criteria to choose a school:
1) Healthcare and entrepreneurship focus (in education, in clubs, in companies in the nearby cities and in alumnus who work in that field).
2) Common Culture identity. I will not only spend 2 years there, but I will also be a part of this school for my entire life.
3) I want to go to the top-tier university in terms of teaching quality, curriculum and non-core activities. I want to grow and I want to learn from the best.
4) Recruitment possibilities and global awareness.
5) Additionally: Class Size and Place.

It’s not a decision that I made yesterday; I’ve been thinking for years about my decision to go to MBA and in what schools. So I will do as much as I can to pursue my career in this way.
Sorry if I’m wordy there, but I see that your questions are pretty good and this is a some kind of practice before answering the same questions to AdCom (I hope I will get this chance).

Thanks,
John
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
ivanzax wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:

Hey John,
Very good to hear from you!
So you have overall a very nice profile, but I think your target schools are not necessarily realistic or well-matched, and that yes, you would do much much better if you could hit a 710+.

But first a serious question: Why career change? Why Biotech? and what experience do you have in Biotech that makes you think you could move into to it? for me this goal is not so realistic, not unless you were to pursue something like a double degree in healthcare/pharma/biology which would grant you the vital knowledge and contacts to make that move. Especially since in M&A you are in a good industry.

I don't honestly see you in Stanford which mainly goes fro more wild or adventurous profiles (like TONS of entrepreneurship, something unheard of, volunteer work, geniuses, etc.) The other schools are possible if you can boost your GMAT, but my first question here would be: how did you choose them? In function of what?

Obviously whatever school list you DO build will depend on your GMAT and a 680 isn't enough for the schools on your list. With a 720, though... :)

I hope this has given you a general idea, if you want a more profound profile evaluation feel free to drop us a line:
https://admissionado.com/free-consultati ... n=mba_blog

Best,
JF

Hi Jon,
Thank you for your feedback. I totally understand that my profile would be much better with GMAT 730 or something like that. I mean that for this round I’m done with attempts. And I need to decide what to do now. Wait 1 year to improve my GMAT or go now with current assets.

I can show you several things that make me think about this shift:
1) I really want to go for biotech, because I realized how powerful is this tool in reaching my desire to change this world. I can do much better in that field then in the IT industry in terms of business and ethic.
2) I see the problems of that industry and I think that my experience can help me to solve some of them. I want to couple my knowledge with a new skills-set from MBA as well as to find a good team of like-minded people at school to deal with it. Also, I was wondered by the MBA students (from MIT, Tuck, Fuqua…) who did the same shift in their careers.
3) From my experience, I don’t think that a degree in Health-care is must have to be successful in the investment attraction and product development. But of course, it can expand my knowledge, and that’s why I want to get as much as I can from the school’s curriculum, such as Healthcare certificates, Biotech classes, make projects together with students from Healthcare school. Most of Dual-degree programs are focused on traditional healthcare issues (not align with my goals) and it can be tough for the international student without a job to pay for another year. I don’t want to be a scientist; I want to become a mediator between scientists and the business world. Actually, I do this in IT now.
4) I follow that industry, doing research at my current work, driving the Digital Health project, and learning from open sources and peers about that industry.
5) Sadly, I can’t perform all of this things working in my country as nowadays there are just few possibilities to go in biotech. That’s why I want an MBA and do it abroad.

For me there are some criteria to choose a school:
1) Healthcare and entrepreneurship focus (in education, in clubs, in companies in the nearby cities and in alumnus who work in that field).
2) Common Culture identity. I will not only spend 2 years there, but I will also be a part of this school for my entire life.
3) I want to go to the top-tier university in terms of teaching quality, curriculum and non-core activities. I want to grow and I want to learn from the best.
4) Recruitment possibilities and global awareness.
5) Additionally: Class Size and Place.

It’s not a decision that I made yesterday; I’ve been thinking for years about my decision to go to MBA and in what schools. So I will do as much as I can to pursue my career in this way.
Sorry if I’m wordy there, but I see that your questions are pretty good and this is a some kind of practice before answering the same questions to AdCom (I hope I will get this chance).

Thanks,
John

John,
Well if you are into Biotech of course you CAN and SHOULD pursue those goals. People make wild career switches all the time to puruse their dreams, and I'd have it no other way.

However what I quesiton is the wisdom of presenting those goals in your application. Because for the MBA program the question will be: how realistic are your goals? How hireable are you in your target industry? And for now, other than deep passion I don't see any necessary specific skills or knowledge that would make you a strong candidate for Biotech... And that is why I think the goals might use some further thought. Not to decide your future, but to decide the narrative you wish to present for the AdCom.

I hope this makes sense,
Best,
Jon
(without the H) :)
GMAT Club Bot