Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.89
WE:Accounting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 718 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 3.88
WE:Business Development (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: GMATClub Quant tests easy/hard? [#permalink]
hi! Now that GMAC has recalculated the percentiles for quant, which should we focus on more in terms of gauging preparedness in the GMAT Club tests? The percentile or the raw score? thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
lpetroski wrote:
hi! Now that GMAC has recalculated the percentiles for quant, which should we focus on more in terms of gauging preparedness in the GMAT Club tests? The percentile or the raw score? thanks!
The percentiles are updated every year. This process should have no impact on your choice of or on the way you use practice tests. Changes in percentiles are usually small enough that they don't impact test analysis significantly.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
lpetroski wrote:

Thank you for alerting about this - I will have the percentiles in the tests updated and in other spots on the site too!
Agree with AjiteshArun, this should not make any difference for prep or strategies; these are very minor adjustments showing the general trends/tendencies.
BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks Bb, as someone trying to get 70%ile +, the change felt quite significant! A 45 fell from 63% to 59%

so, from the tests I'm guessing percentiles are more important to focus on than raw score?

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device
Attachments

File comment: Old percentiles
image.png
image.png [ 104.13 KiB | Viewed 2981 times ]

File comment: New percentiles
image.png
image.png [ 98.1 KiB | Viewed 3007 times ]

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
lpetroski wrote:
Thanks Bb, as someone trying to get 70%ile +, the change felt quite significant! A 45 fell from 63% to 59%
You should still go with the scaled scores that you and your instructor (if you're working with one) are targeting. There are two really good reasons why:

1. Schools are more interested in the scores they understand and are familiar with. They see the percentiles, but the scaled score is what they will look at.

2. Schools do not really hold all potential candidates to the same standards. For example, an Indian or Chinese candidate with a Q45 is unlikely to be considered especially strong at quant (I'm putting it mildly), but a Q45 would not be considered a weak score for an American candidate. Quite a bit of the percentile drop we've seen in quant is attributable to Asian candidates. Whether that affects you is not immediately apparent from the percentile tables on mba.com.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMATClub Quant tests easy/hard? [#permalink]
AjiteshArun wrote:
lpetroski wrote:
You should still go with the scaled scores that you and your instructor (if you're working with one) are targeting. There are two really good reasons why:

1. Schools are more interested in the scores they understand and are familiar with. They see the percentiles, but the scaled score is what they will look at.

2. Schools do not really hold all potential candidates to the same standards. For example, an Indian or Chinese candidate with a Q45 is unlikely to be considered especially strong at quant (I'm putting it mildly), but a Q45 would not be considered a weak score for an American candidate. Quite a bit of the percentile drop we've seen in quant is attributable to Asian candidates. Whether that affects you is not immediately apparent from the percentile tables on mba.com.

Hi AjiteshArun! I really do appreciate you responding but I have to say, INSEAD, my target school, really does focus on percentiles rather than raw scores. The raw score I was targeting is no longer 70%ile. See what I mean? Think there will be able flexibility on that?

I'm just trying to figure out which is the best metric to look at to understand if I am scoring in practices where I need to score in order to get in to my target school.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V46
GRE 1: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Hi bb Bunuel ,
I gave my GMAT in May 2017 and scored a miserable 640 - q44 v33. In all of my MBA dot com gmat test packs, I never scored below 47 in quant and below 40 in Verbal. All GMAT Mock tests were given in exam like conditions.
Also, I actually found the real GMAT bit tougher than the quant in MBA dot com tests 1-4.
There is a thread that says that test 5 & 6 is tougher than the real thing, however, imo, tests 5&6 were closer to the actual difficulty level in the exam.

Now, the question:
I purchased the GMATCLUB test pack a month ago.
My quant scores range between 39 to 44 on a bad day and between 45 to 50 on a good day. I can clearly see that when I give the test well-rested and with less environmental disturbance, my score ranges between 45 to 50.

I plan to register for GMAT within a couple of days. My target is to get a q50. How close do you think are the GMATCLUB test scores to the real thing?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619055 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmatinsead2018 wrote:
Hi bb Bunuel ,
I gave my GMAT in May 2017 and scored a miserable 640 - q44 v33. In all of my MBA dot com gmat test packs, I never scored below 47 in quant and below 40 in Verbal. All GMAT Mock tests were given in exam like conditions.
Also, I actually found the real GMAT bit tougher than the quant in MBA dot com tests 1-4.
There is a thread that says that test 5 & 6 is tougher than the real thing, however, imo, tests 5&6 were closer to the actual difficulty level in the exam.

Now, the question:
I purchased the GMATCLUB test pack a month ago.
My quant scores range between 39 to 44 on a bad day and between 45 to 50 on a good day. I can clearly see that when I give the test well-rested and with less environmental disturbance, my score ranges between 45 to 50.

I plan to register for GMAT within a couple of days. My target is to get a q50. How close do you think are the GMATCLUB test scores to the real thing?

I'd say GMAT Club's Tests give pretty close estimation but still the best estimation is given by GMAT Prep's software. You can download it free from mba.com.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2