Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 03:16 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 03:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [2]
Given Kudos: 211
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Re: Good Universities hire experienced professors to enhance student learn [#permalink]
IanStewart wrote:
I guess this was posted a while ago, so I likely won't be able to learn the source of the question from the OP, but this is not a good question. We learn from the stem that there are two reasons graduation rates can go up: a university can hire experienced professors, or the assessments can become easier. The argument concludes that the assessments were easier this year at Bell University. Why? We have no idea from the stem -- it just seems like a guess. If we want to weaken or strengthen the argument, we're looking for a reason to prefer one explanation to the other. And the "OA", answer E, does not do that. Answer E tells us why experienced professors give higher grades. But we already know that happens; that's a premise in the stem. We don't care why it happens, only that it happens. What we care about is why, at this particular University, we should be more inclined to think they hired experienced professors than to think that they made their exams easy. And E doesn't tell us anything about this particular University and what might explain their higher graduation rate, so it can't be the right answer.

Premises in a CR question stem are absolute facts. An answer choice that merely confirms a premise is true has no logical effect on a GMAT argument. You might say here that answers B and D strengthen the argument, but none of the choices weaken it.

Hi Ian,

I have a point here.

This argument have a hidden assumption that highly qualified professors do not-easy assessments. Which is what weaken by E. correct me if I am wrong.
GMAT Tutor
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: Good Universities hire experienced professors to enhance student learn [#permalink]
Expert Reply
thakurarun85 wrote:
Hi Ian,

I have a point here.

This argument have a hidden assumption that highly qualified professors do not-easy assessments. Which is what weaken by E. correct me if I am wrong.

The first sentence of the stem isn't written in English (it at least needs to say "improving" and not "improve"), so it's a bit hard to tell what it means, but as I read it, it says graduation rates improve when universities hire experienced profs. If that's a premise, it doesn't matter why that happens, or what kind of assignments those profs give -- whether the assignments are easy or hard, graduation rates still improve. So answer E isn't helpful here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V42
GMAT 3: 770 Q49 V47
GMAT 4: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
IanStewart wrote:
thakurarun85 wrote:
Hi Ian,

I have a point here.

The first sentence of the stem isn't written in English (it at least needs to say "improving" and not "improve"), so it's a bit hard to tell what it means, but as I read it, it says graduation rates improve when universities hire experienced profs. If that's a premise, it doesn't matter why that happens, or what kind of assignments those profs give -- whether the assignments are easy or hard, graduation rates still improve. So answer E isn't helpful here.

I see you are a tutor, so I'm sure you know better than me, but I think E is fine (problematic grammar and structural errors aside). Other answer choices had bigger issues, like actually denying premises altogether.

The conclusion of the argument is that the improvement in the graduation rate is NOT due to more experienced professors. Answer choice E confirms that even if the grading/tests were easier, that experienced professors may be the reason for it. Therefore, it weakens the conclusion, while affirming both premises.

Can you clarify why you don't think this weakens that argument?
GMAT Tutor
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
Vubar wrote:
The conclusion of the argument is that the improvement in the graduation rate is NOT due to more experienced professors. Answer choice E confirms that even if the grading/tests were easier, that experienced professors may be the reason for it. Therefore, it weakens the conclusion, while affirming both premises.

It's clearly not a well-written or well-conceived question, so it's probably not worthwhile devoting a lot of time to it, but there's a distinction, at least in my mind, between the "easy assessments" mentioned in the stem, and the "lenient grading" mentioned in answer E. Maybe to the question designer, those mean the same thing, but to my reading they do not; a hard assignment might be graded leniently, and an easy assignment might be graded harshly. We can infer from the stem that when assignments are easy, students get better grades, but that doesn't help us when we read answer E, which only tells us about grading and not about assignment difficulty.

I suppose if you read the stem to mean "grades go up either because of good profs or because of easy assignments", and you read E to mean "good profs always give easy assignments", then you could infer that no matter what, when grades go up, assignments were easy. But if that's what we're meant to think, that contradicts a premise (the stem says good profs improve grades by 'enhancing student learning', not by giving easy assignments), so I didn't interpret E that way, because premises need to be true. And the stem proposes a binary distinction -- it's one thing or the other, not both -- and if we interpret E to mean experienced profs give easy assignments, we're assuming those two possibilities overlap. That is, the conclusion says "it's not the profs, it's the assignments", and if we want to weaken that, we want some reason to think "it is the profs, and it is not the assignments", but E says it's both the profs and the assignments, at least if you think "lenient grading" means "easy assignments". So E doesn't do what we want even if we interpret the question differently from how I was interpreting it.

Anyway, as with so many other prep company Verbal questions, you can often justify two answers or none of them, and it's always better to work from official questions which only ever have one unambiguously correct answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V42
GMAT 3: 770 Q49 V47
GMAT 4: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
I must have missed this reply! Only just came across the notification in my email.

But yes, this all makes sense and agreed on all fronts. Thanks for following up!
IanStewart wrote:
Vubar wrote:

It's clearly not a well-written or well-conceived question, so it's probably not worthwhile devoting a lot of time to it, but there's a distinction, at least in my mind, between the "easy assessments" mentioned in the stem, and the "lenient grading" mentioned in answer E. Maybe to the question designer, those mean the same thing, but to my reading they do not; a hard assignment might be graded leniently, and an easy assignment might be graded harshly. We can infer from the stem that when assignments are easy, students get better grades, but that doesn't help us when we read answer E, which only tells us about grading and not about assignment difficulty.

I suppose if you read the stem to mean "grades go up either because of good profs or because of easy assignments", and you read E to mean "good profs always give easy assignments", then you could infer that no matter what, when grades go up, assignments were easy. But if that's what we're meant to think, that contradicts a premise (the stem says good profs improve grades by 'enhancing student learning', not by giving easy assignments), so I didn't interpret E that way, because premises need to be true. And the stem proposes a binary distinction -- it's one thing or the other, not both -- and if we interpret E to mean experienced profs give easy assignments, we're assuming those two possibilities overlap. That is, the conclusion says "it's not the profs, it's the assignments", and if we want to weaken that, we want some reason to think "it is the profs, and it is not the assignments", but E says it's both the profs and the assignments, at least if you think "lenient grading" means "easy assignments". So E doesn't do what we want even if we interpret the question differently from how I was interpreting it.

Anyway, as with so many other prep company Verbal questions, you can often justify two answers or none of them, and it's always better to work from official questions which only ever have one unambiguously correct answer.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts