Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 760 Q46 V49
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 142
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GPA: 3.8
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
hbsguru wrote:
thank you for your answer! I've decided on Mumbai but still don't know who is the interviewer there
SARAH LUCAS IS DOING DUBAI, ROUND 2, AND THAT OFTEN MEANS SHE WILL BE DOING MUMBAI.
DO NOT SUE ME IF CHARLES ALLISON SHOWS UP. LUCAS ASKS TYPICAL HBS QUESTIONS, WHY THIS JOB, WHAT DID YOU LEARN, WHY THAT COLLEGE, TELL ME ABOUT CURRENT COMPANY, WHAT IS COMPANY YOU ADMIRE, WHAT KEEPS CEO UP AT NIGHT, ETC. ETC. FOR CHARLES ALLISON ODDBALL QUESTIONS, SEE DIRECTLY BELOW. PREPARE FOR BOTH. IF ANYONE CAN CONFIRM LUCAS IN MUMBAI WE WOULD ALL APPRECIATE IT.

I don't know if this is indicative of anything, but I'm pretty sure I had Charles Allison as my second (silent) interviewer in New York yesterday.
thanks, it means he is not in Dubai at the moment, dude, you may have ducked a bullet by having him as the observer. He's a good guy, but there is a much higher chance of a forced error with him than anyone else.

woofbearus wrote:
hbsguru wrote:
thank you for your answer! I've decided on Mumbai but still don't know who is the interviewer there
SARAH LUCAS IS DOING DUBAI, ROUND 2, AND THAT OFTEN MEANS SHE WILL BE DOING MUMBAI.
DO NOT SUE ME IF CHARLES ALLISON SHOWS UP. LUCAS ASKS TYPICAL HBS QUESTIONS, WHY THIS JOB, WHAT DID YOU LEARN, WHY THAT COLLEGE, TELL ME ABOUT CURRENT COMPANY, WHAT IS COMPANY YOU ADMIRE, WHAT KEEPS CEO UP AT NIGHT, ETC. ETC. FOR CHARLES ALLISON ODDBALL QUESTIONS, SEE DIRECTLY BELOW. PREPARE FOR BOTH. IF ANYONE CAN CONFIRM LUCAS IN MUMBAI WE WOULD ALL APPRECIATE IT.

I don't know if this is indicative of anything, but I'm pretty sure I had Charles Allison as my second (silent) interviewer in New York yesterday.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GPA: 3.8
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
hbsguru wrote:
thanks, it means he is not in Dubai at the moment, dude, you may have ducked a bullet by having him as the observer. He's a good guy, but there is a much higher chance of a forced error with him than anyone else.

woofbearus wrote:
hbsguru wrote:

Interesting point. Thanks for the insight!

I was actually lucky enough to be interviewed by Dee. She was incredibly friendly and we had a very flowing conversation, which covered my entire story. I felt that she was an extremely good interviewer. I guess she's had a lot of practice by this point.
woofbearus wrote:

I was actually lucky enough to be interviewed by Dee. She was incredibly friendly and we had a very flowing conversation, which covered my entire story. I felt that she was an extremely good interviewer. I guess she's had a lot of practice by this point.

Dee is a good interviewer and a fair one, and it sounds like you did fine. She is also pretty good at playing it close to the vest, so it could be harder to tell. All that said, flowing conversation is good sign. Did she ask you what books you like or are reading?-- famous Dee question, she is big reader.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
woofbearus wrote:
hbsguru wrote:

Dee is a good interviewer and a fair one, and it sounds like you did fine. She is also pretty good at playing it close to the vest, so it could be harder to tell. All that said, flowing conversation is good sign. Did she ask you what books you like or are reading?-- famous Dee question, she is big reader.

Yes. In fact, I am a big science-fiction/fantasy lover and Dee said that she didn't like the genre and to recommend her something that would change her mind. I talked about a fantasy book derived from an African folktale which explored human reaction to power and chaos, as well as a sci-fi book which imagines a future devoid of oil and ravaged by environmental disasters as a cautionary tale for the consequences of, in this case, corporate shortsightedness. So basically I gave it the old college try to change her mind. :)

ooh, PM me - both sound like interesting reads :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
Any idea who is currently interviewing in London, and will interview next week in Paris? Thanks a lot!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Who will be the interviewer in Shanghai this year?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
nickey11 wrote:
Who will be the interviewer in Shanghai this year?

Would love to get more info on Shanghai too... will be interviewing there in 2 weeks.

Also, thanks to all for taking the time to post their questions post-interview, it's definitely helping with my prep!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
For people, who have interviewed already - which of the organized events did you like / find helpful? I am a little tight on time and trying to decide which ones to make it to. There is the coffee chat with students, lunch with faculty, the career development session, the 'what's next' session with Dee and a student reception. Thoughts?

433349100 wrote:
RDeezy wrote:
Interviewed Yesterday on campus.

I'm pleased overall, I think it went well. I came up before the crazy blizzard because I didn't want to have to postpone. Selected the first interview slot for R2's and I'm glad because now it's over! I stayed with a friend in Soldier Field Park apartments. So even though the conference I planned to attend was cancelled due to the weather I still got a very real experience being couped up on campus the whole weekend. There were so many house parties that I was able to interact with students on a normal level and just get to know who they were as individuals. Geesh, everyone is so intelligent and doing amazing things already.....Good luck to everyone else in R2 or waitlisted!

@RDeezy - I also interviewed on Monday. We probably passed each other at some point during the day!

Much like what RDeezy said, the day was great. Participated in a class visit, campus tour, had lunch, faculty and student Q&As, career development session, a session with Dee and chair of the MBA program (RC year), and finally a reception with current students. The faculty, students, and facilities are incredible! Was pleasantly surprised how hands-on (and so nice!) Dee was from the start of the day to the end. Also, the admissions staff was fantastic; everyone was incredibly warm and helpful. In fact, during the class visit, the professor made it a point to introduce us to her students; who then clapped and wished us good luck for the interview (even provided some advice) -- all before the first cold call! Couldn't have been a warmer welcome.

Tip: Try to schedule your interview later in the day. For me, it was a great opportunity to first get to know the campus and program a bit (useful for the interview later), also it helped me calm my nerves -- a little.

The Interview: a group of us was led upstairs in Spangler and we checked-in with two admissions staffers who recorded our names and told us who would interview us, and then we waited. I suppose I could have Googled this person during the wait, but was too nervous. I was interviewed by an admissions officer and one person who observed silently. While I walked into the room on the verge of being physically sick (due to anxiety), the interviewer couldn't have been more pleasant. This definitely helped me to calm down and focus on listening, answering, and smiling. The interview was very conversational and the questions flowed naturally (no jumping around like others have experienced). They seemed more interested in the progression of my career (with some questions about what I did in some of these positions). Absolutely no behavioral questions, none on strengths/weaknesses, teamwork, challenges, etc. Only one question that I prepared for (where do I see myself next and how does an MBA fit into it?) came up.

Biggest surprise: how FAST the 30 minutes flew by. Honestly, it felt like only 15 mins. There must have been a wall clock behind me because I didn't see them check their watches.

How I Prepared: I bought the latest HARBUS interview guide and did a mock interview (after which I felt terrible -- it was meant to be hard, though), and looked up all the interview feedback experiences/questions from HBS that I could find online. None of this prep, in hindsight, was useful (though I suppose in a way they helped me to get into the proper mindset). I could have just read my resume once, and would have done pretty much the same.

Tip: Remember to smile, more than once!

After I walked out back to the waiting room, I was given a business card for each the interviewer and the observer (not a real business card because this one just had their name and a generic email address). Tip: if you want to email your interviewer directly, the standard format is first initial then full last name "at" hbs.edu. They also gave us a nice HBS totebag! :-D Also, took out my iPhone and started a mind dump of everything I could remember from the interview (to reference later for the reflection).

Post-Interview Reflection: Like RDeezy, I kept it right to a page. Nothing special here. Just reflected on the time with my interviewers, thanked HBS for the opportunity, addressed a point brought up during the interview, and addressed one that did not come up.

Now it's the wait that is making me anxious!

Good luck everyone!

PM me if you have any questions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
ps97 wrote:
For people, who have interviewed already - which of the organized events did you like / find helpful? I am a little tight on time and trying to decide which ones to make it to. There is the coffee chat with students, lunch with faculty, the career development session, the 'what's next' session with Dee and a student reception. Thoughts?

Make sure you do a class visit
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yes - Definitely doing that. Anything else that stood out?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Send PM
ps97 wrote:
Yes - Definitely doing that. Anything else that stood out?

I did mine in the afternoon. I would recommend really trying to utilizing your time. For example my interview was at 3:30 and I showed up way too early at like 930. The class visit was useful and the student lunch session was fun (you won't really get much out of this beyond further networking with other applicants and students and a free lunch - of course). The campus tour is fun (one item worth mentioning is they also offer tours on iPods which they pass out if you can't make it for the student led one).

The other events are a little bit of time fillers not great but not a total waste of time either.

I think overall the class visit is really worth it (unfortunately you can't control which class you go to so that is a bit of a crap shoot). I personally think the afternoon is the best time to interview since you can stack your day with HBS events and still leave an hour or so to prerp / try and calm your nerves.

Hope that helps - good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Send PM
There was a lunch with faculty when I attended on Monday, that was definitely worth my while, plus it helped me alleviate my stress and relax before my interview.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 142
Send PM
The highlight for me was the class visit. Great welcome by the prof and from the class, and an awesome case study discussion following it.

I really liked all of the sessions, though could have done without the career development session (just felt a little too premature given that only statistically half of those in the audience would be accepted or "released"), but otherwise a nice session led by a talented career office director.

The Q&A with two faculty during lunch was nice. Great to ask questions and hear candid answers from two charismatic profs.

The Q&A with two current students later (or before, I can't recall at this point) was also nice for their candidness.

At least one admissions person attends each of these sessions as a host, but they continually emphasize during the day that anything other than the interview is "non-evaluative". For the most part, I believed this to be true. Though if an interviewee said or did something really off, one can be sure someone from the admissions office will remember. Other than that, with the number of interviewees (I estimate there were just under 40 that day) and the different sessions, it'd be hard for anyone to remember.

Also, I liked the tour which was mostly done through the tunnels since it was raining outside that day. Though it wasn't included that day, I kind of wished we could have seen a typical dorm room. Other than that, the tour was nice.

Any questions, let me know.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools: HBS '15 (I)
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
so the decision is march 27th?! i wish it was a week or two longer, i just love the long drawn out wait of one of the most important decisions for all mankind
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey guys - curious whether all admits in R1 were announced on the same day or were they staggered? I probably should stop thinking about all this till March 27th
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools: HBS '15 (I)
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
esdykes wrote:
ps97 wrote:
Hey guys - curious whether all admits in R1 were announced on the same day or were they staggered? I probably should stop thinking about all this till March 27th

All notifications go out on the same day at the same time. So, I suggest blocking your work calendar now for 27-Mar from 11:30 onward. I was a MESS starting around 11:30 and tried everything to keep from focusing on my computer. The email came at 12:00 on the dot and I was so excited that I was literally all over the place (that, and I opened a bottle of champagne). I am very happy that I was able to work from home and that I did not have any meetings for the rest of the afternoon.

So did the email state you were accepted or did you have to log onto the HBS website to find out the decision?

Thanks,
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60  ...  64   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts