Last visit was: 15 May 2024, 00:46 It is currently 15 May 2024, 00:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 5224 [37]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 5224 [8]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 363 [3]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Re: Historical revisionism is different from history in that the former [#permalink]
Kudos
pushpitkc wrote:
Historical revisionism is different from history in that the former involves either the illegitimate distortion of the historical records or the legitimate scholastic re-examination of existing knowledge about a historical event, which is a form of historical negotionism

A. in that the former involves either the illegitimate distortion of the historical records or the legitimate scholastic re-examination of existing knowledge about a historical event.
B. because the former involves either the illegitimate distortion of the historical records or the legitimate scholastic re-examination of existing knowledge about a historical event.
C. in that the former involves either the legitimate scholastic re-examination of existing knowledge about a historical event or the illegitimate distortion of the historical records
D. because the former involves either the legitimate scholastic re-examination of existing knowledge about a historical event or the illegitimate distortion of the historical records
E. in that the former involves the legitimate scholastic re-examination of existing knowledge about a historical event and the illegitimate distortion of the historical records

Source : Experts Global

In Answer option A and B ..there is full stop at end, i think it is a typo ..

C , D and E , i think , they are wrong as in non underlined part we have "which is" , so we need singular noun .."historical records" is plural ...
Between A and B , i will stick with A ...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Historical revisionism is different from history in that the former [#permalink]
Kudos
I think B is correct, not sure if it should be in that or because but rest of the sentence looks right..

Please release OA.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
My answer is D :
A. in that the former involves either the illegitimate distortion of the historical records or the legitimate scholastic re-examination of existing knowledge about a historical event. which after the comma refers to distortion of the hisorical records
B. because the former involves either the illegitimate distortion of the historical records or the legitimate scholastic re-examination of existing knowledge about a historical event. same than A
C. in that the former involves either the legitimate scholastic re-examination of existing knowledge about a historical event or the illegitimate distortion of the historical records In that does not convey the right sense
D. because the former involves either the legitimate scholastic re-examination of existing knowledge about a historical event or the illegitimate distortion of the historical records correct answer
E. in that the former involves the legitimate scholastic re-examination of existing knowledge about a historical event and the illegitimate distortion of the historical records either one or the other in the original answer, this meaning is not conveyed here
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
[quote="pushpitkc"]The correct answer to this question is Option C

Please find below Video explanation

In option E as mentioned in the video, since there and hence which will refer to the entire clause? How is that true? Doesn't which refer to the noun preceding it immediately with an exception of prepositional clause in which it can also refer to the noun of the prepositional clause if that makes sense?

I am also not sure of the source of this question. Doesn't look like GMAT-like.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
Historical revisionism is different from history in that the former [#permalink]
Expert Reply
anupriyajain wrote:
pushpitkc wrote:
The correct answer to this question is Option C

Please find below Video explanation

In option E as mentioned in the video, since there and hence which will refer to the entire clause? How is that true? Doesn't which refer to the noun preceding it immediately with an exception of prepositional clause in which it can also refer to the noun of the prepositional clause if that makes sense?

I am also not sure of the source of this question. Doesn't look like GMAT-like.

Hello anupriyajain,

Thanks for the post.

You are correct about your observation about "which"; the video is explaining the same thing- that 'which' has to refer to a noun preceding it; but because of the "...and..." construction, the preceding noun becomes compound "a and b" and "which" (singular) cannot refer to it. There is a slip in using the term "clause" in the explanation that may have led to the confusion; we will correct it.

Further, I hope you got the main difference, explained in the last ~15 seconds of the video- the need for "either...or" construction rather than the "and" construction for conveying the intended meaning of the sentence.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Maxximus on 30 Sep 2018, 05:55.
Last edited by Maxximus on 30 Sep 2018, 06:08, edited 1 time in total.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [4]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
Historical revisionism is different from history in that the former [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
pierredmq wrote:
My answer is D :
A. in that the former involves either the illegitimate distortion of the historical records or the legitimate scholastic re-examination of existing knowledge about a historical event. which after the comma refers to distortion of the hisorical records
B. because the former involves either the illegitimate distortion of the historical records or the legitimate scholastic re-examination of existing knowledge about a historical event. same than A
C. in that the former involves either the legitimate scholastic re-examination of existing knowledge about a historical event or the illegitimate distortion of the historical records In that does not convey the right sense
D. because the former involves either the legitimate scholastic re-examination of existing knowledge about a historical event or the illegitimate distortion of the historical records correct answer
E. in that the former involves the legitimate scholastic re-examination of existing knowledge about a historical event and the illegitimate distortion of the historical records either one or the other in the original answer, this meaning is not conveyed here

Hello pierredmq,

Thanks for the message.

You may not be clear about the usage of "in that" versus "because". Please watch the following 1-minute video to understand the difference-

All the best!
Experts' Global
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:General Management (Retail)
Send PM
Maxximus wrote:
pierredmq wrote:
My answer is D :

Hello pierredmq,

Thanks for the message.

You may not be clear about the usage of "in that" versus "because". Please watch the following 1-minute video to understand the difference-

All the best!
Experts' Global

Hows A and C any different ? I don't even know what historical negationism means.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [2]
Given Kudos: 2974
Send PM
Kudos
Kindly change "Historical negotionism" to "Historical negationism". I know it's trivial but got me confused for a second. C is definitely the answer.

azhrhasan
Historical negationism : In simpler terms it means distorting historical records.
So which has to refer to a noun which is similar to /conveys the idea of negationism, which it does in C ( illegitimate distortion ). In A,which is referring to "scholastic re-examination. This is a modifier error.
Hope its clear now.

Sunil
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
pierredmq wrote:
My answer is D :

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
pushpitkc wrote:
Historical revisionism is different from history in that the former involves either the illegitimate distortion of the historical records or the legitimate scholastic re-examination of existing knowledge about a historical event, which is a form of historical negotionism

A. in that the former involves either the illegitimate distortion of the historical records or the legitimate scholastic re-examination of existing knowledge about a historical event.
B. because the former involves either the illegitimate distortion of the historical records or the legitimate scholastic re-examination of existing knowledge about a historical event.
C. in that the former involves either the legitimate scholastic re-examination of existing knowledge about a historical event or the illegitimate distortion of the historical records
D. because the former involves either the legitimate scholastic re-examination of existing knowledge about a historical event or the illegitimate distortion of the historical records
E. in that the former involves the legitimate scholastic re-examination of existing knowledge about a historical event and the illegitimate distortion of the historical records

I was hesitant between A and C because of the typo in negotionism ,so please kindly replace negotionism with "negationism" = denial of historical event
as a non-native english speaker, it got me confused because I could'nt figure if negotionism was some kind of neologism
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
EducationAisle,

How do we decide between "in that" and "because".

Both make sense.

Historical revisionism is different because....
Historical revisionism is different in the sense that....

Please share your two cents
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3529 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
krndatta wrote:
EducationAisle,

How do we decide between "in that" and "because".

Both make sense.

Historical revisionism is different because....
Historical revisionism is different in the sense that....

Please share your two cents

Hi, the intended meaning of the sentence does not seem to present a "cause and effect" relationship in a strict sense.

Hence, I would agree that "in that" does make more sense here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
EducationAisle,

When we read the sentence with because, don't we have a cause and effect?

Historical revisionism is different from history. (Effect).

Cause would be the because part.

Whenever we have a split between "in that" and "because", should we go with "in that"?

Any other errors that would lead us to eliminate the wrong choices.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3529 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
krndatta wrote:
EducationAisle,

Whenever we have a split between "in that" and "because", should we go with "in that"?

"cause and effect" relationships are generally much more explicit.

For example: I performed well in GMAT because I had prepared well.

Notice that "I performed well in GMAT in that I had prepared well" just would not make the cut.

The current sentence however, is talking about in what sense is Historical revisionism is different from history.

For other errors, you might want to refer to the solution posted by the makers of this question here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Given Kudos: 467
Send PM
sobby wrote:
pushpitkc wrote:

In Answer option A and B ..there is full stop at end, i think it is a typo ..

C , D and E , i think , they are wrong as in non underlined part we have "which is" , so we need singular noun .."historical records" is plural ...
Between A and B , i will stick with A ...

You are wrong in your thinking. "Which" is modifying "distortion" and not "historical records" / Which can refer to a slight far away noun as long as there is no verb between "which" and the "modified noun". Here "distortion of historical records" , historical records is part of prepositional phrase and also does not make sense with which is a event so we will look a bit further to understand modification
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
krndatta wrote:
EducationAisle,

"cause and effect" relationships are generally much more explicit.

For example: I performed well in GMAT because I had prepared well.

Notice that "I performed well in GMAT in that I had prepared well" just would not make the cut.

The current sentence however, is talking about in what sense is Historical revisionism is different from history.

For other errors, you might want to refer to the solution posted by the makers of this question here.

EducationAisle ExpertsGlobal MartyTargetTestPrep

How would we know which noun phrase here "which" is modifying?
In case, which is modifying 2 or more than 2 entities joined by "OR", then which should be followed by a "plural" verb or "singular" verb?
For example below:
Tom or Peter, who are/is tall, will play basketball.
Mercedez Benz or Audi, which is/are luxury cars, is/are costly.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5149 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
shanks2020 wrote:
How would we know which noun phrase here "which" is modifying?
In case, which is modifying 2 or more than 2 entities joined by "OR", then which should be followed by a "plural" verb or "singular" verb?
For example below:
Tom or Peter, who are/is tall, will play basketball.
Mercedez Benz or Audi, which is/are luxury cars, is/are costly.

If we think about this type of construction logically, we can see that two singular nouns joined by "or" would not be plural because the construction names one OR the other.

So, the correct version is.

Tom or Peter, who IS tall, will play basketball.

Additionally, a relative clause placed after an "a or b" construction will always modify the noun or noun phrase that comes after "or."
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts