It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 13:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J are in an increasing AP as such.

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Posts: 2213

Kudos [?]: 880 [0], given: 602

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
If A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J are in an increasing AP as such. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2016, 18:21
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (00:59) correct 46% (01:15) wrong based on 59 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J are in an increasing Arithmetic Progression as such. Then Which of the following operations will result in either mean or the median being modified.
A) A is removed
B) A and J are removed
C) B and I are removed
D) A,B,C,H,I,J are removed
E) A and E are removed

1) A and B
2) A and E
3) A,C,E
4) All of them
5) None of them
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Give me a hell yeah ...!!!!!


Last edited by stonecold on 03 Aug 2016, 23:08, edited 3 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 880 [0], given: 602

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jan 2015
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 94

Location: Mexico
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J are in an increasing AP as such. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2016, 18:36
Why is b not the correct answer?

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 94

Retired Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Posts: 2213

Kudos [?]: 880 [0], given: 602

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: If A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J are in an increasing AP as such. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2016, 18:51
robanm90 wrote:
Why is b not the correct answer?



Counter Question =>
If B and I are removed will it remain an AP?

I hope that answers your query
_________________

Give me a hell yeah ...!!!!!

Kudos [?]: 880 [0], given: 602

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jan 2015
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 94

Location: Mexico
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J are in an increasing AP as such. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2016, 18:59
stonecold wrote:
robanm90 wrote:
Why is b not the correct answer?



Counter Question =>
If B and I are removed will it remain an AP?

I hope that answers your query


The AP will not remain but the median ant the mean remain the same or i am missing something?

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 94

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 7747

Kudos [?]: 17869 [1], given: 235

Location: Pune, India
Re: If A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J are in an increasing AP as such. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2016, 22:48
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
stonecold wrote:
If A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J are in an increasing Arithmetic Progression as such. Then Which of the following operations will result in either mean or the median being modified.
A) A is removed
B) A and J are removed
C) B and I are removed
D) A,B,C,H,I,J are removed
E) A and E are removed

1) A and B
2) A and E
3) A,C,E
4) All of them
5) None of them



Here answer will be (B).

There are 10 equidistant numbers on the number line.

Mean and median will be the average of middle two numbers.

If you remove two numbers which is equidistant from either extreme (e.g. B and I), the total deviation on either side of the mean stays the same so mean stays the same. Also, the median is still the average of middle two numbers.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 17869 [1], given: 235

Retired Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Posts: 2213

Kudos [?]: 880 [0], given: 602

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: If A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J are in an increasing AP as such. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2016, 23:02
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
stonecold wrote:
If A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J are in an increasing Arithmetic Progression as such. Then Which of the following operations will result in either mean or the median being modified.
A) A is removed
B) A and J are removed
C) B and I are removed
D) A,B,C,H,I,J are removed
E) A and E are removed

1) A and B
2) A and E
3) A,C,E
4) All of them
5) None of them



Here answer will be (B).

There are 10 equidistant numbers on the number line.

Mean and median will be the average of middle two numbers.

If you remove two numbers which is equidistant from either extreme (e.g. B and I), the total deviation on either side of the mean stays the same so mean stays the same. Also, the median is still the average of middle two numbers.


Hi

My question is that => if we remove Two elements B and I then the series wont be in AP
So the mean will have changed.
_________________

Give me a hell yeah ...!!!!!

Kudos [?]: 880 [0], given: 602

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 7747

Kudos [?]: 17869 [1], given: 235

Location: Pune, India
Re: If A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J are in an increasing AP as such. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2016, 23:04
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
stonecold wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
stonecold wrote:
If A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J are in an increasing Arithmetic Progression as such. Then Which of the following operations will result in either mean or the median being modified.
A) A is removed
B) A and J are removed
C) B and I are removed
D) A,B,C,H,I,J are removed
E) A and E are removed

1) A and B
2) A and E
3) A,C,E
4) All of them
5) None of them



Here answer will be (B).

There are 10 equidistant numbers on the number line.

Mean and median will be the average of middle two numbers.

If you remove two numbers which is equidistant from either extreme (e.g. B and I), the total deviation on either side of the mean stays the same so mean stays the same. Also, the median is still the average of middle two numbers.


Hi

My question is that => if we remove Two elements B and I then the series wont be in AP
So the mean will have changed.


Mean will not change. Assume values and see why. It doesn't matter that you don't have an AP anymore.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 17869 [1], given: 235

Retired Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Posts: 2213

Kudos [?]: 880 [0], given: 602

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
If A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J are in an increasing AP as such. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2016, 23:11
Hi VeritasPrepKarishma
You are right karishma.
I just checked.
Do you have any blogs on topic underlying the questions such as above

Regards
S.C.S.A
_________________

Give me a hell yeah ...!!!!!

Kudos [?]: 880 [0], given: 602

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 7747

Kudos [?]: 17869 [1], given: 235

Location: Pune, India
Re: If A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J are in an increasing AP as such. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2016, 23:14
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
stonecold wrote:
Hi VeritasPrepKarishma
You are right karishma.
I just checked.
Do you have any blogs on topic underlying the questions such as above

Regards
S.C.S.A


Yes, the concept of deviation will help you understand it.
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2012/05 ... eviations/
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 17869 [1], given: 235

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jan 2015
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 94

Location: Mexico
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J are in an increasing AP as such. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2016, 11:02
1
This post received
KUDOS
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
stonecold wrote:
If A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J are in an increasing Arithmetic Progression as such. Then Which of the following operations will result in either mean or the median being modified.
A) A is removed
B) A and J are removed
C) B and I are removed
D) A,B,C,H,I,J are removed
E) A and E are removed

1) A and B
2) A and E
3) A,C,E
4) All of them
5) None of them



Here answer will be (B).

There are 10 equidistant numbers on the number line.

Mean and median will be the average of middle two numbers.

If you remove two numbers which is equidistant from either extreme (e.g. B and I), the total deviation on either side of the mean stays the same so mean stays the same. Also, the median is still the average of middle two numbers.


Karishma thank you for your explanation my answer was B

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 94

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 15507

Kudos [?]: 283 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: If A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J are in an increasing AP as such. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2017, 16:31
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Kudos [?]: 283 [0], given: 0

Re: If A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J are in an increasing AP as such.   [#permalink] 16 Oct 2017, 16:31
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J are in an increasing AP as such.

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.