Last visit was: 14 Jul 2024, 22:48 It is currently 14 Jul 2024, 22:48
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 94342
Own Kudos [?]: 640867 [8]
Given Kudos: 85011
Send PM
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
Joined: 19 Jan 2020
Posts: 3128
Own Kudos [?]: 2810 [2]
Given Kudos: 1511
Location: India
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Joined: 03 Jun 2019
Posts: 5274
Own Kudos [?]: 4181 [2]
Given Kudos: 160
Location: India
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Joined: 20 Mar 2017
Posts: 132
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [2]
Given Kudos: 225
Location: India
GRE 1: Q167 V162
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: If printing press A, running alone at its constant rate, produces 27,0 [#permalink]
1
Kudos
1
Bookmarks
If printing press A, running alone at its constant rate, produces 27,000 newspapers in six hours, how long does it take printing press B, running alone at its constant rate, to produce 27,000 newspapers?

So, r(A) = (27k/6)

Let t be the time which we need to find

r(B) = (27k/t).

Statement1:

3r(A) = 2r(B)

If we substitute the above statements,
We get the value of t --> Sufficient(A).


Statement2:

(27k/6)+ (27k/t) = 75k

We can calculate t ---> Sufficient


Hence, D

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Joined: 14 Nov 2016
Posts: 11
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: If printing press A, running alone at its constant rate, produces 27,0 [#permalink]
2
Kudos
[quote="Bunuel"]If printing press A, running alone at its constant rate, produces 27,000 newspapers in six hours, how long does it take printing press B, running alone at its constant rate, to produce 27,000 newspapers?

(1) Running alone at their respective constant rates, printing press B produces two newspapers in the same amount of time that printing press A produces three newspapers.

(2) Running together at their respective constant rates, the two presses produce 7,500 newspapers in one hour.


Hi Bunuel or other club moderators, this is a GMAT Prep question, please feel free to update the tags.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 14 Nov 2016
Posts: 11
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: If printing press A, running alone at its constant rate, produces 27,0 [#permalink]
[quote="Fighter1095"]If printing press A, running alone at its constant rate, produces 27,000 newspapers in six hours, how long does it take printing press B, running alone at its constant rate, to produce 27,000 newspapers?

So, r(A) = (27k/6)
Let t be the time which we need to find
r(B) = (27k/t).
Statement1:
3r(A) = 2r(B)
If we substitute the above statements,
We get the value of t --> Sufficient(A).

Hence, D
Hi Fighter1095, great logic! It was helpful. Anyway, there is a small error in the highlighted portion. It should actually be 2r(A) = 3r(B), because the rate of "A" is "faster" than the rate of "B", so "B" produces 2/3 of what "A" produces.
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 94342
Own Kudos [?]: 640867 [0]
Given Kudos: 85011
Send PM
Re: If printing press A, running alone at its constant rate, produces 27,0 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Gmatboat wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
If printing press A, running alone at its constant rate, produces 27,000 newspapers in six hours, how long does it take printing press B, running alone at its constant rate, to produce 27,000 newspapers?

(1) Running alone at their respective constant rates, printing press B produces two newspapers in the same amount of time that printing press A produces three newspapers.

(2) Running together at their respective constant rates, the two presses produce 7,500 newspapers in one hour.


Hi Bunuel or other club moderators, this is a GMAT Prep question, please feel free to update the tags.


_____________________
Added the tag. Thank you!
VP
VP
Joined: 11 Aug 2020
Posts: 1247
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Re: If printing press A, running alone at its constant rate, produces 27,0 [#permalink]
Not sure if this was the most efficient way to think about this. I struggle with math and it took me 15 minutes to get this even though it is very straightforward. But I am challenging myself to think things through rather than look at the answers.

Statement 1 - Sufficient
RateA = 27000 newspapers/6 hours = 4500 papers/1hr
We now know that RateB is 3/2x greater than RateA.
3/2 x 4500papers/hr = 6750 papers/hr

Statement 2 - Sufficient
TotalWork = (RateA x 1hr) + (RateB x 1hr)
7500 = 4500papers/hr + RateB
RateB = 7500papers/4500 papers/hr
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 25 Aug 2020
Posts: 250
Own Kudos [?]: 140 [0]
Given Kudos: 216
Send PM
Re: If printing press A, running alone at its constant rate, produces 27,0 [#permalink]
Gmatboat wrote:
Fighter1095 wrote:
If printing press A, running alone at its constant rate, produces 27,000 newspapers in six hours, how long does it take printing press B, running alone at its constant rate, to produce 27,000 newspapers?

So, r(A) = (27k/6)
Let t be the time which we need to find
r(B) = (27k/t).
Statement1:
3r(A) = 2r(B)
If we substitute the above statements,
We get the value of t --> Sufficient(A).

Hence, D
Hi Fighter1095, great logic! It was helpful. Anyway, there is a small error in the highlighted portion. It should actually be 2r(A) = 3r(B), because the rate of "A" is "faster" than the rate of "B", so "B" produces 2/3 of what "A" produces.


Dear Gmatboat
the quibble is what the highlighted portion represents :)
What if it is the time? then the initial expression is utterly valid.
3r(A) = 2r(B) = > Time B = 1.5 Time A, substitute Time B = 1.5 *6h = 9h

---------

CEdward wrote:
Not sure if this was the most efficient way to think about this. I struggle with math and it took me 15 minutes to get this even though it is very straightforward. But I am challenging myself to think things through rather than look at the answers.

Statement 1 - Sufficient
RateA = 27000 newspapers/6 hours = 4500 papers/1hr
We now know that RateB is 3/2x greater than RateA.
3/2 x 4500papers/hr = 6750 papers/hr

Statement 2 - Sufficient
TotalWork = (RateA x 1hr) + (RateB x 1hr)
7500 = 4500papers/hr + RateB
RateB = 7500papers/4500 papers/hr


Dear CEdward
I presume that you meant RateB = \(\frac{2}{3}\)RateA
Then \(\frac{2}{3}\)*\(\frac{27000}{6}\) =\(\frac{3000}{h}\)

Thus, B time: 27000 = 3000*T = > 9h

First time I had saw the question, I made unnecessary computation. But when you realize that it is DS question and that you can form the equation with 1 variable, you do not need to calculate anything. That is valid for the 1st and 2nd statements.

Hope it helps :)
User avatar
Non-Human User
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 33972
Own Kudos [?]: 851 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: If printing press A, running alone at its constant rate, produces 27,0 [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If printing press A, running alone at its constant rate, produces 27,0 [#permalink]
Moderator:
Math Expert
94342 posts